Menu toggle

Monaco F1 Breakdown return

acer

Well have a problem on the return up from Monte Carlo
the car seems to have a wheel bearing broken,
it happened at Troyes about 275 miles from Calais,the car sadly still
in France,AA could not get the car on breakdown truck,so they gave me hire cars,Clio,&Toyota,they say it takes 10-12 days to get back to UK,
am not happy.
Found out though that a hire car is the fastest on the autoroute
Especially with French plates,in the Porsche it was weird every time I overtake a French car they overtake u back even when they r goin slow.
Some special tools required to replace bearing and need to heat to 100c to get out old bearing thinking it's an opc job,any one who knows a good engineer local to Bexley will be greatly appreciated!
Still like driving on autoroutes Troyes to Calais in under 4 hours!

Why not get either the OPC at Reims or Dijon to pick it up and change the bearing ?

It surely must work out less expensive than a truck from Troyes to your local OPC.

No special tools required to remove and fit a new bearing, I assume it is a rear bearing as these are common to go - well the Porsche original bearings anyway - Once changed the replacement will last the life of the car - I guess Porsche bearings are made from Bon Bons.
Weird- when i removed the original bearing it was stamped "made in Brazil" the replacement "made in Germany"
I have a picture file of the rear bearing replacement from start to finish of how to do it, however you will need to pm me if your interested as the file is over 1 meg and cant be posted with this reply - saves you a fortune too - the bearing was £50 4 years ago but the job would cost £400, not sure what todays prices are but if your handy with a spanner then this is a nice days work, especially if its sunny with a few beers.

Hi,
Yep that would have been ideal I wish the AA had offered that!
The truck that collected the car from the car park area took it to their garage and could not repair until Tuesday,this was on Sat,so didn't really want to wait all this time as need to go back to work!
AA give u one night free accommodation,but the rest u pay for,already spent a few bob down there!
The French don't seem to rush,waited from 12-4pm for a hire car at their garage,everything seems so slow over there!
Bank holiday in France today!
Am hoping to get fixed in time for the Bromley show,should be ok,cheers

[:eek:]

Cheers Glyn,
Appreciate the help,yep am not bad with a spanner although a little slow methodical.
If u can send the details that's magic,have changed gearbox oil,engine,filters etc.
My email: richard.atkin1@btinternet.com.
Thanks regards ,Dave.[:)]

Really sorry the return trip was messed up but at least you had the sense to have breakdown cover in place. Always a bit stressful when things like this happen - been there myself.

Just a tip for those touring abroad, and in the UK for that matter. Have a look at ADAC membership. It is VERY comprehensive cover from the German equivalent of the AA - wife and I get foreign cover for less than UK only from the AA and its personal cover (like the AA used to be) so if I am travelling with someone else........ Basically they are still a MEMBERS club and therefore geared up to serve their members, not their shareholders. They even own their own air ambulances for repatriation (though I'm told that you wont wake up in Berlin by mistake). They will even recover you from the nurburgring track as part of the service. OK they send out club mags and communications in German but pick up the phone and you will get a helpful English speaking service, and guess who comes out to you if you break down in the UK?

PS - never found a problem with driving in France - either the Porsche or the workaday car. In my experience they are far more forgiving than UK drivers and I can't ever recall an incident of "Road Rage" in the last 30 years, which is more than I can say about driving in the UK! Obviously its not all plain sailing as their accident rate could be better but.......

PPS - Their toll motorways are really expensive so I do try to avoid them unless I need to eat up the miles - I think its a couple of hundred euros for a trip to the South so build that into your budget!

Cheers Graham,
Very helpful,Yes you are quite correct did about £100 on tolls each way,and about £154 on petrol each way,but great driving very clear roads through Northern France,
one lorry every 10 miles great!
The best part though last 100 miles to Nice with the top down,at 85f just what the Doctor ordered.
Want to go back next year![8D]

[:)]Well am very happy man today,
got my car back 9am this morning,have
changed my opinion about the AA,they do care!
One week from France is pretty good and car was in a
Brand new Ontime closed in lorry very nice.
Glyn am thinking it is not a wheel bearing but a driveshaft bearing,
because seem to get a loud knocking noise,won't know until take off next week!
Will need to buy a hub puller,did u use a 4inch or 6 inch puller?
Am looking forward to giving it the obligatory wash and wax on Sunday,Cheers

I used a 3 leg sykes pickavant puller as the legs simply fold out to whatever size you need rather than a fixed type puller, however you dont actually need a puller.
Loosen the nut and rotate off until the head of the nut is level with the end of the CV joint, then give it a good hit direct on the head of the nut with a hammer, a good heavy hit will break the seal.
Just line up the head of the hammer to make contact parralel to the head of the nut/shaft.
When i worked in the garage this was how we always broke the seal for CVs, ball joints etc, It was only because i had the puller and was photographing the removal that i used it (couldnt opperate the camera and hammer at the same time)

Dont know where you live but you can gladly borrow my puller if you want (Im Leicester)

Glyn,
You have been most helpful,and with your kind offer,am living in Bexley,Kent at the moment.
Am ok for the moment without the puller but appreciate with your professional advice with the lock nut.
You may have come across this already Glyn,because am getting a clunking noise
Unfortunately am thinking its almost certainly the outer axle cv joint attached to axle have done bit of research on pelican parts site and they explain how to do the job,,unfortunately you can only buy the part from Porsche so could be expensive!
The inner cv joint is changeable from other manufacturer's about £56,but don't think its this one,will have look this week.
Unfortunately need a Torque wrench to tighten the nut back up to 460Nm,320ft lbs,will have to search around!
Seem a lot of Newtons!
Would like to meet at a show if possible 4u sometime,and maybe get u a beer,am going to the Classics at the Castle later on in the year,erm Bromley show next week but maybe its a bit further out 4u,and not in my car at moment,it will be my little red Alfa.[:(]
Kind regards Dave.

[8|]Hi Glyn,
Hope u enjoying some open top driving at moment!
Have Boxster withdrawal symptoms heh heh!

Am finally getting to grips with the Boxster repair ,been a bit busy with work and obtaining some tools eg trolley jack and Norbar torque wrench to undo the big nut !etc.
Have got about half way through the job am trying to break the cv joint did try hammering it with my 2lb club and block of wood it would not budge,managed to get a 3 pronged puller sent through post today although am not sure if its up to the job!
Will try tommorrow or Thurs.
Had to make the special tool tor the Torx screwdriver for the tie rods ,basically used a torx T40 bit and cut it down with a dremel cutting disc and then used a spanner to fit with it.
Have been following your manual closely and am surprised because horror of horrors my springs came out in broken pieces that hold the hand brake shoes to the backing plate,they were rattling around inside the disc,the last work was carried out by an Independent Porsche dealer last Jun to change this wheel bearing ,sorry can't name name on here not recommended but will mention via email Glyn.
Your instructions have been excellent Glyn and am getting to know the underside of the car a bit better,and enjoying quite a bit!
Thought I mention a bit off beat but there is a pretty good diagnostic tool by pelican parts for about £150 its compatible with your laptop and gives you quite a bit of info for your car all the fault codesengine etc.most Window operating systems,maybe something for investing in the future for.

Need to find some new springs,the backing clips and washers,either from an OPC or parts dept.
Am wondering what Loctite to use when I reassemble everything have heard the red colour is stronger than the blue loctite,what d'reckon?
Have found a guy who does the complete cv axle assembly original Porsche but second hand £84,inc post,the new one is £598 inc vat,so think maybe go for the cheaper option,but am thinking might as well change the wheel bearing whilst everything is out to new one.
Have bought a cv boot kit to change all the boots new clips grease etc not a bad deal for £31.
Am so lucky the car made it to Monaco with these probs,am pleased to be able to
have a go at fixing,also gives you the chance to clean everything properly.
Incidentally when I phoned Porsche at East London they will not even quote for the job
they have to put it on their diagnostic tool first,Wow!
My friend informed me they charge £130 +vat an hour,so at the moment have been about 3-4 hours,and counting,will be quite a few hours I reckon for the full job 4me,obviously spread over a few days!am a bit slower than you Glyn but owe you a large drink!
Am liking my car even more even when it doesn't go!
Thanks for now will keep u up to date with the progress,thanks Porsche friend,regards.[:)]

Acer, the CV joint can be quite tight in the bearings so a good hit is essential, dont be afraid as you wont damage anything (unless you miss) I think you are having trouble breaking the seal because you are using a bit of wood between the hammer and the CV, The hammer should be applied direct to the CV - the nut wound out to level with the CV end of shaft protects the CV threads from the hammer blows (though if the seal is very tight you can damage the nut but this is cheap to replace) however as you now have a puller the secret to using this is to tighten up the centre shaft to put pressure on the CV and when it is very tight hit the head of the shaft with the hammer - the shock plus the pressure will release the CV from the bearings. (The picture with the ratchet and socket on the puller shows the puller fitted and under pressure - take socket and ratchet off the shaft head - then strike the head of the puller with the hammer) Once the seal breaks the puller will fall off or hang loose - when you hit the head be prepared for quite a loud bang as the seal breaks.

The brake shoe springs dont have washers they simply push through the backplate and twist to lock in, If these have been rattling around inside the drum it is possible the drum brake surface is scored, however no need to replace the disk/drum as the brake shoes will bed in to any scores.

I dont use any loctite stuff at all but the blue is called threadlock - so if you intend to use it get the blue as this is intended to stop a thread coming loose but remains an easy break for a spanner when it needs to be taken apart.

The second hand shaft is taking a bit of a chance as you could end up with the same issue in a short time, CVs are very robust, if their not clicking as you drive then the chances are that the CVs are in good order, new grease and new boots is the best option, Indeed rear CVs are unlikely to be worn unless the boots have split and allowed water and grit to enter the assembly as they are not very suceptable to wear like a car with CVs that are driven through the steering wheels that encounter constant angle changes. (hope that makes sense)

Why does the OPC want to put the car on a PIWIS for CVs? - this is a mechanical issue not electrical!!!

If you need more advice and dont want to keep doing this by mail just drop me a pm and i will give you my phone number - a talk is quicker and easier than mail and you can check understanding.

Glyn

[:)]Hi Glyn,
Thanks it worked have had some success tonight
have broke the seal,have broke the puller the thread went at 100Nm,
and didn't budge,but hammered it with my club hammer 2pm,left on the nut
and it worked am very pleased.
Have got the nearly all the bolts out except
the bottom one my ball joint puller won't fit it,it's a Sealey A378,but
it keeps slipping off,there's not much room where the outer cv joint is close to it,am needing to remove this ball joint so I can push the hub out at the bottom,could you tell me what ball joint you use,thanks in advance,Dave.
Oh it's ok to send your tel number to my email,and I could buzz u in the evening if ok!

The bottom joint is the pig, I assume you have the nut off, the method to remove this is to put the nut on loose on the top joint, then place a steel bar - longer the better and jam the bar under the diagonal crossmember but over the top of the bottom arm, get someone to put their foot on the bar and press downwards - this puts the joint under pressure, then strike the bottom joint part of the hub with the hammer - one good hard hit usually breaks the seal- then simply take the nut off the top joint and pull the hub out.
The nut on the top joint stops the hub travelling down and lowering the pressure the bar is applying.
I have always managed to do this on my own but it is a little harder to do as you have to apply pressure and hit the hub joint.

Obviously, you can tell that i never used a puller before and i have never damaged anything using the hammer- in the garage this was the only way we did ball joints and CVs, im not even sure if the main dealer i worked for even had one as no one ever needed it - it was the way i was trained as an apprentice - it looks a bit butcherish i know but it is effective.

Had to have a chuckle when you said the puller broke but the old fashioned hammer way worked - it always does, sometimes kit is produced simply to satisfy the tool geeks who must have one of everything.

Will mail you my number - If you were closer i would pop round and give you a hand, but if you get really stuck i will have a drive to your place to get you back on track

[:)]Hi Glyn,
Thanks for getting back so quick,and appreciate the tips
that you mentioned.
Am going to try the method over the weekend or tomorrow night,
and will send an update on progress.
Cheers for numbers and friendly help,Dave

[8|]Well success with the job Fri evening the old axle is removed!
Thanks very much Glyn.
The outer cv joint is a mess it was very dry lacking grease,and not seated in the bearing correctly.
The choice of fitting the correct axle is a debate for me.
Have carried out quite extensive research with this,and there are really three options.
1)Brand new Part from OPC,cost is £580.
2)Gkn new replacement part from the States $86,plus post.
3)Second hand from an Porsche axle trader,via eBay.£84
On reflection am thinking will change my mind and go for the OPC option
it seems expensive compare to the other two,
but the GKN looks ok but have heard stories that they are less quality axles
and not as robust,Wayne Moyer ,via pelican parts does not recommend it.
The third option am not sure about because after getting my old axle out and
whacking it with a big hammer asks the question how did they get these axles out that they are selling.
At least you know the new one from Porsche has had no blows to it!
Glyn,am wondering what your thoughts would be!
My view is to go for the Opc version mainly because I think once you have
all the parts dismantled you don't really want to remove it all again too soon
Cheers.
Cheers

Dave, Your last comment sums it up, you dont want to do the job again and that is the chance you take if you fit a used part, you could however get a shaft in tip top condition and have years of use out of it.
The used option could mean you do it again but now you know how, its much quicker the next time, You could get a few replacements for the cost of a new one.
The E-Bay axle trader route sounds fine, if that is their field of trade then they have a reputation to hold up, they wouldnt want negative feedback - If the traders feedback score is under 90% i wouldnt use, There are always some people that are not happy so to have 100% is difficult to attain - if the trader you are looking at has this then i wouldnt hesitate to purchase - providing the feedback is based on multiple sales and not just started trading
If it was me i would get the used part as i dont mind the strip down to do the job, but, if you want piece of mind for a few years then the new part will give you that.
I do admire your bottle at getting stuck in, there are so many people wont even try because its a Porsche, and they will never know the satisfaction of doing it yourself, for me, this was my trade although i left the trade over 30 years ago so it was just another job to do - for you it was a big job and to attempt it takes guts.

Well done mate

Glyn

[8D][8D]Glyn,am especially thankful to you for your help.
Maybe am a bit slow compared to most but hopefully get to the finish line in the end!

Just thought a useful update to share for all the members out there who may experience the problem hopefully not at all but just in case!
Have located a Brand new replacement axle and its from Southern California u gotta love those guys.
The price is £147 delivered and a bit different to £580 inc vat from my OPC.
There will of course be the dreaded import duty but am willing to wear this!
Main thing is time factor could be a while 2-3 weeksbut heh ho!,worth the wait,its made by OP parts and by all acccounts is a quality item,am hoping it will last at least 40k miles the same as the genuine part.
The company makes nearly every component and for eg spark plugs are not £56 each as we are charged over here!
Its called carpartsdiscount.com and am happy to share the surfing work with all Porsche enthusiasts to keep their running costs down.
You just put in in your make and model in the drop down box,Enjoy!
Glyn,will let you know once its all back together at the moment am enjoying cleaning my brake disc and other parts and general tidy.
Happy Days oh erm where has our summer gone?

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back