Menu toggle

Anyone Here Tempted

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/RoadTestsHistory/Lotus-Evora-3.5-V6-+-2/242720/

Ever since the Esprit disappeared from the price list in the mid-2000s, Lotus's line-up has offered variations on a theme. From 2-Eleven to Europa, the basic ingredients have been the same: two seats, lightness, sublime handling and degrees of discomfort. Now, though, we have the Evora, an all-new model aimed at broadening the Lotus audience and with a greater emphasis on comfort and touring potential.

Lotus claims this is a car to be used every day "" one, it believes, that rivals not only Porsche's Cayman but, with the option of 2+2 seating, also the 911. This confidence and ambition are reflected in the pricing; Lotus asks £47,500 for the standard car (the 2+0) and £49,875 for the 2+2.

If you're a regular reader, you'll know that the Evora has already impressed us, but with the launch hype subsiding, this is its sternest test yet. In a week of motoring and several thousand miles, we'll be discovering if the Evora is sufficiently different from the Elise to justify the price premium, whether the marriage of a Toyota V6 and Lotus chassis gels, and, crucially, if the Evora stacks up as an everyday proposition.

Whatever you think about the styling, Lotus has to be commended for squeezing an additional pair of seats and a transversely mounted V6 engine between the axles without making the Evora appear ungainly. It is unmistakably a Lotus, although some feel that is a missed opportunity in itself.

Although the basic construction process of extruded and bonded aluminium apes that used in the Elise and Exige, the design and structure for the Evora is newDespite the use of aluminium and composite body panels, at 1395kg (as tested) the Evora is 500kg heavier than the Elise S. As a result, the Evora gains power assistance for the steering, delivered through a fully hydraulic set-up. Connected to the chassis through Lotus-designed bushes are double wishbones front and rear, coupled to Eibach springs and Bilstein dampers. While there is not yet full stability control, the Evora comes with traction control and "˜understeer mitigation', which are entirely switchable (in stages on cars fitted with the £950 optional Sport pack).

Continuing Lotus's partnership with Toyota, the Evora uses an all-alloy 3456cc V6 found in the Toyota Camry and Lexus RX350. Although the fact that the 2GR-FE engine has both variable valve timing (on intake and exhaust camshafts) and direct injection no doubt attracted Lotus, the engine's global type approval probably clinched the deal. Lotus has added its own electronic throttle map (including a Sport mode, which raises the rev limit by 200rpm to 7000rpm) and a bespoke AP Racing flywheel and clutch package. The result is 276bhp at 6400rpm and 258lb ft at 4700rpm.

The six-speed gearbox is also supplied by Toyota, but with the choice of two sets of ratios. Lotus says the standard ratios are taller for more relaxed cruising, by which it means better for the official economy and emissions tests. The optional sports 'box (£1495) tested here has shorter ratios from third to sixth.

Lotus has positioned the Evora between the Porsche Cayman S and 911, but it's the Cayman's performance that the Lotus more closely mirrors. On the road "" and, in truth, on most tracks "" you will not want for more power.

Is it truly a sub-five-second-to-60mph car, though? We matched Lotus's claim of 4.9sec in one direction, once, and with one occupant on board. Were it not for a stubborn gearchange from first to second, the Lotus would have hit five-nothings with regularity.

As it is, the Evora's loose, vague gearshift is the weakest part of the car's performance. Although it could handle more power, will get it and maybe will be improved by it, it does not need it. What it does need is a vastly better gearshift.

Unlike many Lotuses, the Evora does sound special, though. There is plenty of sharply defined timbre and a hollow, satisfying growl as it revs towards its 6800rpm limit.

Beyond any question is the Evora's ability to stop repeatedly without fade and with superb pedal feel.

It isn't all about press-on driving. Despite its large wheels (18in front, 19in rear) and low-profile tyres, the Evora rides with more fluidity and comfort than many superminis.

Certainly the Evora feels lighter on its feet than a Porsche Cayman S and it fidgets far less than a Nissan GT-R. The Lotus's steering also has a lovely oily, linear feel and perfect weighting.

In faster driving the Evora maintains a supple ride yet manages it across crests and bumps with body control that displays no hint of overdamping or underdamping.

It has more body roll than the GT-R and Cayman but don't mistake it for a big softie. Its roll rate is measured and progressive, and it reaches with perfect composure the points where its motions settle.

All the while its steering benefits from being hydraulically (rather than electrically) assisted and freed from over-assistance by dint of there being relatively little weight on its front end.

The first test is climbing aboard, normally a trial of flexibility with a Lotus but less so with the Evora. It takes a bit of practice (and effort) to exit cleanly and with dignity intact, but it is possible.

Inside, the driver's seat is supportive but it is relatively thinly padded and lacks height adjustment. However, forward visibility is good and the steering adjusts for both reach and rake. Most of us found it easy to get comfortable, save for its offset pedals.

The sweeping dashboard structure and suspended centre blade are neatly designed, as are the simple but striking dials and accompanying twin displays.

However, the longer you spend in the Evora, the more details you find that aren't quite right. Dials suffer from reflections in strong sunlight, back-lit buttons are hidden by the steering wheel, and there's nowhere to rest your right elbow.

Compared with an Elise, it feels much more spacious and upmarket, but you'd expect more for £49,875. And that's before you consider that the cruise control, extended leather, parking sensors (near essentials) and navigation system (best avoided) on this car push the price up to £63,707.

And the rear seats? Adult use will be limited to very short distances only. The issue is as much the restricted head room as the lack of leg room. But ultimately they're no less spacious than those in a 911 or Audi TT.

Historically, Lotuses hold their value well thanks to low rates of production and high demand. That the Evora is forecast to retain its value better than the Cayman S and M3 is one of the very few monetary aspects where the Lotus has the edge over the more solidly built and cheaper Porsche.

That said, good economy and low CO2 (though it still falls in the same road tax band as the Cayman S) as well as the rear seats all help.

Still, issues such as the perceived quality, poor standard spec and the high price may have you thinking twice about Evora ownership.

So the Evora wins our Britain's Best Driver's Car contest by a country mile two weeks ago, and then scores only four stars in our road test. But there is logic to this. In its ride and handling, the Evora is quite exceptional, as are its brakes. The engine is more than up to the job too, both in pure performance and aural appeal. If these were all that mattered in this assessment, the Evora would score a full five stars with ease.

However, Lotus is positioning the Evora as a GT, rivalling not only the Cayman but also the 911, and it has priced it accordingly. As such, we must consider a broader set of criteria, including interior functionality and perceived quality. We give Lotus credit for what it has achieved "” the Evora being a big step up from the Elise "” but the cold reality is that the Evora still asks its buyer to accept compromises in exchange for its excellence in other areas.

Too expensive, probably unreliable, too few dealers. Can't say i like the look of it. And if the crash performance of the Elsie is anything to go by then i wouldn't want to drive one either.

One word - reliability. Porsche and Lotus are at totally oipposite ends of the scale. I'd never spend 50k on a Lotus - I'm sure the drive is great but iit would be infuriating as daily transport. It will take Lotus 10 years to fix this reputation, even if they actually improve the reliability of their products.

ORIGINAL: telford_mike One word - reliability. Porsche and Lotus are at totally oipposite ends of the scale. I'd never spend 50k on a Lotus - I'm sure the drive is great but iit would be infuriating as daily transport. It will take Lotus 10 years to fix this reputation, even if they actually improve the reliability of their products.
In Lotus's defence I ran a couple of 1990's Lotus Elan SE's one for a year and 10k trouble free miles and the second for 2 years and 16k trouble free miles and as the Evora running gear is tried and tested to Toyota/Lexus bullet proof standards I would be very confident that this Lotus, like todays Jags, are right up there for reliability

I passed Lotus Edinburgh today, and they had a white Evora parked outside, so I stopped for a look. Regrettably it was locked, and there was no one around to open it, so only studied it from the outside. Conclusions? ... Build quality looks not bad, but I doubt it will look as good 5 years down the line. Quite a large and wide car, yet very pinched in around the cabin, which looks very small and rather claustrophic inside, so the worst of all worlds. Why bother with the rear seats? they are a total joke. There was a newish Cayman parked next to it, which looked quite austere by comparison, but I know which design will age more gracefully (and its not the Lotus) Do not like the swage lines on the lower doors. The car somehow reminded me of the old Alpine Renault GTA, as a sort of also ran in quality terms to the main players, even if an interesting car. If it was between £30-40k I could see it selling well, but at £50-60k I don't see it somehow. Just my initial thoughts.

I popped into a dealer a couple of weeks ago and took an Evora out for a spin, to say that I was surprised is an understatement. The only time I’d seen an Evora in the flesh was at the press launch last year, and since then I’ve been less and less taken with the styling. Every time I see pictures of the Evora I think it looks worse – too angular, too long and generally unappealing. However, I’ve got to say that seeing it in the flesh again, it looked far better than I remember and far better than the pictures. Sitting in the driver’s seat feels so, well, right. The seats are more or less the same Recaros as in my old Clio 197 F1 and they are very cosseting and supportive, more so than the sports seats in my 997. The driving position is also nigh on perfect, the pedal box is beautifully positioned and the steering wheel is one of the best I’ve ever held. I also wasn’t too bothered by reflections in the dash, despite all the reviews complaining about it. The pedals are well weighted – the clutch is fairly heavy, but reassuringly so, while the throttle has a decent amount of feel to it. The brakes are incredibly strong, but far less progressive than my 911 and a little grabby at the top. The pedals are also well positioned in relation to each other, putting heel and toe down shifts well and truly on the menu. That said, the aforementioned lack of progression from the brake pedal means that you’ll need to get some practice in – coming out of my car I found that I was putting too much pressure on the brake pedal while blipping the throttle at first, but I’d more or less got the hang of it by the end of the drive. The gearbox in the car I drove was the standard version rather than the sports box. Lotus will charge you £1,500 for the sports box, which is a staggering amount when you consider that Porsche only asks £300 for a short shift box. That said, I think the sports box also has revised ratios, favouring acceleration rather than comfort on the motorway. I found the gearbox very stiff and notchy, but I was assured that later cars have a far smoother gear change. One of the things that worried me about the Evora was the engine. Now, I know that Lotus has been using Rover engines, followed by Toyota engines for some time and has managed to work its magic on both, but something bothered me about paying £50k for a car with a Toyota Camry engine in it! I don’t know exactly what Lotus has done to this engine, but it certainly doesn’t sound like it’s come from a Toyota – a bit like the engine in a Focus RS doesn’t sound like it comes from a Volvo. The other thing that worried me about the engine was its power output – at sub-280bhp it’s well down on a Cayman S, even though it’s pushing a car that costs over £5k more. Does the Evora feel underpowered? Well it was hard to tell on the public road during a relatively short test drive. The power does feel a little flat at lower revs, but once you start pushing towards that 7,000rpm redline, it really comes to life. Talking of the redline, the engine has two of them – one at 6,600rpm, then, when you press the sport button it rises to 7,000, while also sharpening up the throttle response. I did manage to take the car over some pretty awful road surfaces and it just soaked up the bumps in a manner that seemed plain alien for a Lotus. And no matter how bad the road surface, the handling was never anything short of sublime. Everything that has been said in the reviews is true, and then some! This really is a car that will just go wherever you point it, no matter how much throttle you’re piling on, or how ham fisted you try to be. I’ve rarely felt so confident in car after such a short time. It really does feel like a grown up Elise – it rides infinitely better, but hasn’t lost any of that magic Lotus handling, despite being so much heavier. In fact I couldn’t believe how light and nimble the Evora feels when pushing on – it just inspires you to push harder through that next sweeping bend, or brake later into the next hairpin, and all the time you know that if something untoward happens under the wheels, the car will take it in its stride. I was literally shocked by how well the Evora drives, and covering some of the same route in my 911 directly afterwards highlighted just how much harder I have to work to drive the Porsche fast on poorly surfaced country roads. I’ll admit though, that it’s that hard work that makes the 911 special for me – the fact that even in its modern guise it can bite the unwary, and even if you’re on top of proceedings, you’ll occasionally find yourself having rescue that back end when you overcook things. But my love for the concept, execution and performance of the 911 can’t take anything away from the Evora’s unquestionable talent. I’ve driven a lot of great cars over the years, but few allow you to tackle British back roads with such enthusiasm after so little time behind the wheel. Would I buy one? I’m certainly thinking more seriously about it after driving one, but it is a lot of money to pay when you consider what else is available. I've giot a letter from Porsche confirming that my interest has been registered for the forthcoming Cayman RS (that's what it said, RS not ClubSport), so I'm not making any buying decisiosn (other than my new Focus RS that's arriving next week) until I've found out more about the Cayman RS. One thing’s for sure though, Lotus has created something truly special with the Evora, and with a bit more power it could give the likes of Porsche and Aston Martin a real run for their money.

ORIGINAL: Mark Bennett
ORIGINAL: Black80XSA And if the crash performance of the Elsie is anything to go by ....
Huh?  In what way?
Sadly Mark I know of one person killed and another seriously injured in single vehicle incidents, both of which happened at between 30 and 35mph. In both cases the supposedly strong passenger cell failed. Worryingly the accident investigators weren't surprised at all and yet there was never any safety recall or doubts expressed publically. When you consider the pherora (sp?) over the original Audi TT and Mercedes AClass i'm amazed but I guess those cars soldin much greater numbers.

ORIGINAL: Black80XSA
ORIGINAL: Mark Bennett
ORIGINAL: Black80XSA And if the crash performance of the Elsie is anything to go by ....
Huh? In what way?
Sadly Mark I know of one person killed and another seriously injured in single vehicle incidents, both of which happened at between 30 and 35mph. In both cases the supposedly strong passenger cell failed. Worryingly the accident investigators weren't surprised at all and yet there was never any safety recall or doubts expressed publically. When you consider the pherora (sp?) over the original Audi TT and Mercedes AClass i'm amazed but I guess those cars soldin much greater numbers.
Very sorrry to hear that. I've evidently been swept along by all the positive publicity about how strong it was. I knew the body panels were a pain to replace - as they are not seperate (so v. costly) but I understood the chassis was strong. [&o]

ORIGINAL: Black80XSA And if the crash performance of the Elsie is anything to go by then i wouldn't want to drive one either.
The Lotus Elise model range lies within the price bracket of £25,712 - £32,067. Currently the Elise has not been tested by Euro NCAP and therefore does not have a rating. The Lotus Elise is in insurance group 20.

I’m certainly thinking more seriously about it after driving one, but it is a lot of money to pay when you consider what else is available. I've giot a letter from Porsche confirming that my interest has been registered for the forthcoming Cayman RS (that's what it said, RS not ClubSport), so I'm not making any buying decisiosn (other than my new Focus RS that's arriving next week) until I've found out more about the Cayman RS Tell us more!!!!

Well I emailed Reading asking if they had any details on the Cayman ClubSport and I got a letter back saying that a letter of intent to purchase had been logged in my name for the forthcoming Cayman RS. Now, unless it's a monstrous typo, that sounds like good news to me :)

ORIGINAL: Draven Well I emailed Reading asking if they had any details on the Cayman ClubSport and I got a letter back saying that a letter of intent to purchase had been logged in my name for the forthcoming Cayman RS. Now, unless it's a monstrous typo, that sounds like good news to me :)
http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1030927_spy-shots-2012-porsche-boxster Late last year Porsche unveiled its updated Boxster and Cayman range but there are still several other models based on the same Boxster/Cayman platform in the works. One of these is a high-performance RS model, recently seen testing at Germany’s Nurburgring, and another is a long-rumored chopped 'Speedster' model.

ORIGINAL: Draven Well I emailed Reading asking if they had any details on the Cayman ClubSport and I got a letter back saying that a letter of intent to purchase had been logged in my name for the forthcoming Cayman RS. Now, unless it's a monstrous typo, that sounds like good news to me :)
When I changed my Boxster for a Cayman at the end of June my OPC said all he had heard about a ClubSport model was the Autocar article written in Jan 08 that I had sent him. Their Sales Manager said there was no mention of any Cayman derivative on their future models list. Unless there been some new info released recently I dont believe it will happen in the next 2 years.

ORIGINAL: chrisH
When I changed my Boxster for a Cayman at the end of June my OPC said all he had heard about a ClubSport model was the Autocar article written in Jan 08 that I had sent him. Their Sales Manager said there was no mention of any Cayman derivative on their future models list. Unless there been some new info released recently I dont believe it will happen in the next 2 years.
Unless he needed the sale right then... [&:]

As he is the new car SM and mine was not quite "new" he had nothing to gain, so I trust his input. Anyway we'll see what the future brings, can't see an RS anytime soon.

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back