Menu toggle

Automobile review of 981 Cayman S

chrisH

This magazine has a more in depth review than the Autocar article with some interesting comments:

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1302_2014_porsche_cayman_s/

There are some great photos here too. Keep in mind this car is shod with winter tyres on 19inch Boxster S wheels which may explain the stability issue at 150 +.

And a G force indicator to watch whilst the car is sliding [;)] I think it looks fab, but I wonder how it will compare to a nicely specced Cayman R ?

ORIGINAL: I think it looks fab, but I wonder how it will compare to a nicely specced Cayman R ?
Will the first of the new design be better then the best of the last? I'm sure Porsche have got it right and it will be a step forward. At least you can spec bucket seats and sports exhaust in the 981 even though the sports chassis is not. Time will tell[;)]

Haven't read the full article yet, but this doesn't sound right to me, even taking into account the winter tyres. "The harder you go, the more conscientious the input should be. It is surprisingly easy to overdrive the Cayman S by being a touch too slow at the wheel, not determined enough on the brakes, and too impatient with the throttle. Mistreated like this, the car will squirm and wiggle, fighting both tarmac and driver, relying on its computerized cleverness to stay on the road. The worst thing one can do in this situation is switch off PSM stability control and pretend to be on top of the game. Unlike the 911, which swings around gracefully like a power-operated precision carver, the Cayman wants to be coaxed with verve into rotating around its midriff axis. Push too hard, and you might spin. Push too little, and you might understeer out of the picture. Push too passively, and the drift may come to a premature end. The secret lies in massaging the accelerator and holding the coupe in that narrow bracket where slip and grip maintain a healthy balance." Does he just happen to prefer the drive of a 911? The Autocar reviewer had no issues with stability and found the 981C very controllable at the limit and beyond. I'm not 911 bashing but surely it's the car with a predominant weight bias at one end that takes more professional skill to extract all it's potential at the limit without getting into trouble? I read these reviews with a pinch of salt and come away doubting certain bits until I can try it out for myself and draw my own conclusions.

P
ORIGINAL: flat6 Haven't read the full article yet, but this doesn't sound right to me, even taking into account the winter tyres. "The harder you go, the more conscientious the input should be. It is surprisingly easy to overdrive the Cayman S by being a touch too slow at the wheel, not determined enough on the brakes, and too impatient with the throttle. Mistreated like this, the car will squirm and wiggle, fighting both tarmac and driver, relying on its computerized cleverness to stay on the road. The worst thing one can do in this situation is switch off PSM stability control and pretend to be on top of the game. Unlike the 911, which swings around gracefully like a power-operated precision carver, the Cayman wants to be coaxed with verve into rotating around its midriff axis. Push too hard, and you might spin. Push too little, and you might understeer out of the picture. Push too passively, and the drift may come to a premature end. The secret lies in massaging the accelerator and holding the coupe in that narrow bracket where slip and grip maintain a healthy balance." Does he just happen to prefer the drive of a 911? The Autocar reviewer had no issues with stability and found the 981C very controllable at the limit and beyond. I'm not 911 bashing but surely it's the car with a predominant weight bias at one end that takes more professional skill to extract all it's potential at the limit without getting into trouble? I read these reviews with a pinch of salt and come away doubting certain bits until I can try it out for myself and draw my own conclusions.
My thoughts exactly, I have asked Jeff his expert opinion as I too would have thought the 911 would be worse. I put it down to the winter tyres being used for this test as he did say at speeds over 150 the instability occurred. Steve Sutcliffe in the Autocar review did say the front goes light above 150 using the same car and tyres. Did you see the rear spoiler has more angle on the Cayman? It will be interesting to see what the full road test reveals in due course.

ORIGINAL: chrisH P
ORIGINAL: flat6 Haven't read the full article yet, but this doesn't sound right to me, even taking into account the winter tyres. "The harder you go, the more conscientious the input should be. It is surprisingly easy to overdrive the Cayman S by being a touch too slow at the wheel, not determined enough on the brakes, and too impatient with the throttle. Mistreated like this, the car will squirm and wiggle, fighting both tarmac and driver, relying on its computerized cleverness to stay on the road. The worst thing one can do in this situation is switch off PSM stability control and pretend to be on top of the game. Unlike the 911, which swings around gracefully like a power-operated precision carver, the Cayman wants to be coaxed with verve into rotating around its midriff axis. Push too hard, and you might spin. Push too little, and you might understeer out of the picture. Push too passively, and the drift may come to a premature end. The secret lies in massaging the accelerator and holding the coupe in that narrow bracket where slip and grip maintain a healthy balance." Does he just happen to prefer the drive of a 911? The Autocar reviewer had no issues with stability and found the 981C very controllable at the limit and beyond. I'm not 911 bashing but surely it's the car with a predominant weight bias at one end that takes more professional skill to extract all it's potential at the limit without getting into trouble? I read these reviews with a pinch of salt and come away doubting certain bits until I can try it out for myself and draw my own conclusions.
My thoughts exactly, I have asked Jeff his expert opinion as I too would have thought the 911 would be worse. I put it down to the winter tyres being used for this test as he did say at speeds over 150 the instability occurred. Steve Sutcliffe in the Autocar review did say the front goes light above 150 using the same car and tyres. Did you see the rear spoiler has more angle on the Cayman? It will be interesting to see what the full road test reveals in due course.
Chaps, I think that it's important to bear in mind that Kacher's comments apply to a car fitted with Michelin winter tyres (softer compound, more flexible sidewalls and tread blocks) which are "at their best in a relatively narrow temperature window" and, as he says, on gritted roads with an ambient temperature of 7 degC. Hardly conducive to getting the best out of an excellent chassis I would have thought. Probably best to wait for a summer road test to get the definitive opinions on this subject. However, as Kacher notes, the balance of the mid-engined car is perhaps more delicate than that of the 911 due to the lower polar moment of inertia and more even weight distribution which can make the handling possibly a little more unpredictable compared with the 911's high-rear-traction/rear-pendulum-mass biased handling (although that's debatable.!). His comments on high speed stability issues are rather puzzling though. Again the weather conditions and tyres are probably a contributing factor but it implies an aero anomaly such as a lack of front end downforce relative to that at the rear, but surely such things will have been investigated thoroughly in the wind tunnel. The general concensus amongst the motoring press has always been that Porsche have done an excellent job with the handling of the mid-engined cars and I can't believe that this reputation has been compromised with the latest generation of cars. Jeff

ORIGINAL: Motorhead
ORIGINAL: chrisH P
Chaps, I think that it's important to bear in mind that Kacher's comments apply to a car fitted with Michelin winter tyres (softer compound, more flexible sidewalls and tread blocks) which are "at their best in a relatively narrow temperature window" and, as he says, on gritted roads with an ambient temperature of 7 degC. Hardly conducive to getting the best out of an excellent chassis I would have thought. Probably best to wait for a summer road test to get the definitive opinions on this subject. However, as Kacher notes, the balance of the mid-engined car is perhaps more delicate than that of the 911 due to the lower polar moment of inertia and more even weight distribution which can make the handling possibly a little more unpredictable compared with the 911's high-rear-traction/rear-pendulum-mass biased handling (although that's debatable.!). His comments on high speed stability issues are rather puzzling though. Again the weather conditions and tyres are probably a contributing factor but it implies an aero anomaly such as a lack of front end downforce relative to that at the rear, but surely such things will have been investigated thoroughly in the wind tunnel. The general concensus amongst the motoring press has always been that Porsche have done an excellent job with the handling of the mid-engined cars and I can't believe that this reputation has been compromised with the latest generation of cars. Jeff
Yeah but in the autocar video, Sutcliffe puts the car into a drift and says that it's so perfectly balanced that it's easy to hold the car like that all day long (not that anyone who actually buys it wants to drift it, but it's reassuring to know that the car is so stable that if you get out of shape, you can get it back). That's what I meant by stable, as opposed to 150mph stability.

Another short review here in What Car? with more pics: http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/2013-porsche-cayman-review/265285 And yet more reviews: http://www.carenthusiast.com/reviews/article/8117/-/2013-Porsche-Cayman/First+drive+-+PDK+model+with+Sport+Chrono.html http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests/doc.asp?c=105&i=27122 (Some interesting technical input here from Chris Harris - BIW, springs, dampers, ARBs, tyres). Jeff

ORIGINAL: Motorhead Another short review here in What Car? with more pics: http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/2013-porsche-cayman-review/265285 And yet more reviews: http://www.carenthusiast.com/reviews/article/8117/-/2013-Porsche-Cayman/First+drive+-+PDK+model+with+Sport+Chrono.html http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests/doc.asp?c=105&i=27122 (Some interesting technical input here from Chris Harris - BIW, springs, dampers, ARBs, tyres). Jeff
Yes indeed Jeff, Chris Harris on Pistonheads reveals some interesting new design differences, also his views about the PDK v's Manual even though he did not drive a manual Cayman this time, he must have tried it in the Boxster. It seems the more you find out the more you see what efforts Porsche has gone to to make the 981 Cayman a unique design. Chris

chris harris wentas far as to sy he thought the 991 was unnecessary having driven the manual boxster s he did prefer the manual to pdk so much so that i was tempted not to order a pdk (but only tempted!!-i will be getting mine with PDK)

And now: last, but by know means least it's the EVO review gents. They show it in white for the first time, this is the colour I specced, but not those expensive wheels, 20in Carrera S's for me and no PCCBs[:(] http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/288211/2013_porsche_cayman_s_review_and_pictures.html

Yeh......a manual 'box car at last..! "It might be unfashionable to say so, but I’d willingly sacrifice a few tenths of a second of 0-60mph performance (5.0sec plays 4.7 for the PDK, Sport Chrono-equipped car) to have this greater sense of satisfaction. Ultimately, and perhaps for the first time in a Porsche, the choice is now made purely on personal choice, not because one is markedly better than the other. Long may that choice continue to be available." Looks very smart in white with those (easy to clean!) wheels, even though they're a costly option. I'm still looking forward to a full road test. Jeff

New Porsche Cayman See all 12 pictures 14 Feb, 2013 9:00am James Disdale 1 Comment and 0 Reactions Share on printShare on emailShare on stumbleuponShare on twitter We try out the stunning new Porsche Cayman ahead of first customer deliveries later this year Verdict 5/5 Porsche could have a real problem on its hands with the brilliant new Cayman S. Not only is it as fantastic to drive and as quick as the firm’s flagship 911 Carrera, it undercuts its legendary brother by nearly £24,000. When you look at it like this, the Cayman is actually one of the performance car bargains of the year. Business is booming at Porsche. In January alone, the firm’s global sales were up a massive 25 percent over last year. So now is as good time as any to launch a new Cayman. Promising to be faster, even better to drive and more efficient than its predecessor, the sleek mid-engined coupe is aiming to go straight to the top of the sportscar class. There’s no denying the newcomer looks the part. In profile the Cayman is remarkably similar to the outgoing model, but it’s now lower and wider, giving it a more aggressive stance. Our range-topping Cayman S also benefitted from an eye-catching twin exit exhaust and large 19-inch alloys. Yet it’s under the car’s skin that you’ll find the biggest changes. The extensive use of aluminium and high strength steel has helped reduce weight by around 30kg, while a longer wheelbase and wider track promise even greater composure in the corners. There’s also an all-new engine line-up, with the entry-level £39,694 Cayman getting a 271bhp 2.7-litre flat-six and the racier £48,873 S benefitting from a muscular 321bhp 3.4-litre unit. On the move, the new Porsche is quite simply sensational, particularly on twisting back roads. Thanks to its motorsport-inspired mid-engined layout, the Porsche always feels beautifully balanced, while the dizzying levels of grip allow you to attack corners with confidence. Better still, the new electrically assisted steering is beautifully weighted and full of feedback. Powerful and progressive brakes, rock solid body control and a precise six-speed gearbox complete the dynamic masterclass. Buyers can also opt for the firm’s £971 PASM adaptive dampers and the £1,084 Sport Chrono package, which includes a Sports Plus mode that delivers razor sharp settings for the throttle and suspension. There’s even a neat function that automatically blips the throttle on downshifts. As you’d expect, the Cayman S is an explosive performer. The six-speed manual car will blast from 0-62mph in only 5.0 seconds, while models equipped with the £1,922 seven-speed PDK twin clutch gearbox require only 4.7 seconds. Whatever transmission you choose, you get the same spine-tingling howl from the engine. There’s also the option of a £1,473 Sports exhaust, which adds to the dramatic soundtrack with plenty of pops and bangs on the overrun. Yet there’s more to this Porsche than undiluted driving thrills. When you just want to cruise, the Cayman is remarkably refined and user-friendly. The ride is firm but far from uncomfortable, plus there’s very little wind and road noise. And the all-new cabin now rivals the Porsche 911 for upmarket appeal, thanks to its top notch finish and high quality materials. There’s also more space than before for driver and passenger, plus a combined luggage capacity of 425-litres, which is split between the deep front boot in the nose and the versatile hatchback at the rear. And while it’s faster than before, the new lightweight Cayman is now 15 per cent more efficient, promising fuel returns of 32.1mpg and CO2 emissions of 206g/km. On this evidence, the new Cayman S can easily lay claim to the title of Britain’s best sportscar. Key specs Price: £48,873 Engine: 3.4-litre flat-six Power/torque: 370Nm Transmission: Six-speed manual, rear-wheel drive 0-60mph: 5.0 seconds Top speed: 175mph Economy: 32.1mpg CO2: 206g/km Equipment: Bi-xenon headlamps, air-conditioning, auto start/stop, 19-inch alloys, stability control On sale: Now Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche/cayman/62722/new-porsche-cayman#ixzz2Kwz6DhJx

This is the new [link=http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-reviews/porsche]Porsche[/link] Cayman, driven here for the first time in its base 2.7-litre form and, joy of joys, with a manual gearbox instead of the dual-clutch PDK automatic transmission. You’ve probably read elsewhere how good the new [link=http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/porsche/cayman-s/first-drives/porsche-cayman-s-first-drive-review]Cayman is in S form[/link]. In this sub-£40k base trim it is 730cc down on capacity and, therefore, comes up shy of the S by 50bhp, making 271bhp. Elsewhere, the differences are more slight. The 2.7 is just 10kg lighter (at 1340kg) than the S and has a rear track 4mm narrower, because it wears 8-inch rather than 8.5-inch-wide rear wheels. Both models wear the same width rubber, mind: 235-section at the front and 265 at the back, on 18-inch (2.7) or 19-inch (3.4) rims as standard. The manual 2.7 has slightly shorter gear ratios than the manual S, though the PDK's ratios are the same for both models. The rest of it is as the Cayman S, so should prove just as lovely. What is it like? No surprises: it’s just as sweet as the S model. Depending on where you drive and how, you might even argue it’s more enjoyable because it’s a touch slower (bear with me). Instead of a 0-62mph time that starts with a four, the 2.7-litre Cayman wants 5.7sec to hit 62mph from rest in manual form, which is still plenty quick but means that, for the same throttle inputs, you’d spend more time to enjoying what the Cayman offers – a brilliant noise and a slick gearshift – before you hit the legal or safe limit and have to back off. The power delivery is similar in both cars. Their power peaks both come in at 7400rpm (both rev to a touch under 8000rpm) and their torques peak from 4500, with the 2.7's 214lb ft hanging around around until 6500rpm. And the noise is equally fantastic. Some said that the first-generation Cayman was a little short on drama and emotion, but that's not a charge you’d level at this car. Then, of course, there’s the handling. The Cayman is the sports car refined, honed and perfected until it’s so complete, so capable, that you almost feel sorry for any carmaker who takes the trouble to compete with it. It rides well, it steers sweetly (I'll come back to that), it controls its body movements over crests and dips sublimely and its handling is first rate: a touch of understeer at first, a touch of oversteer later, all to the degree you want it, with outstanding levels of controllability and adjustability for a mid-engined car. You’d have to try it back to back on a mix of circuits and roads before deciding whether this or a [link=http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/lotus/evora]Lotus Evora[/link] was the better handler. It’s that good. I said I'd come back to the steering: you could argue that it's a little short on feel; it’s an electric rather than hydraulic set-up, so perhaps that’s inevitable, and it’s slick, accurate, precise and has a really lovely weighting to it. Truth be told, I mention it only because of some obligation to pick a hole somewhere in this car. Um, what else? It could have more storage on the centre console. The cupholders don’t hold bottles very well. And, er, well, um ...[FONT=verdana,geneva"] Should I buy one? Sure. The case for the Cayman is every bit as compelling as it is for the Cayman S. No, it’s not as fast but that might not be a deal breaker, while it uses a bit less fuel, emits fewer CO2s and is a respectable amount cheaper. Those who say that the Cayman is a Porsche for those who can’t afford a [link=http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/porsche/911]911[/link] have always been wrong. But they’ve never been more wrong than now. Porsche Cayman 2.7 Price £39,694; 0-62mph 5.7sec; Top speed 165mph; Economy 34.5mpg (combined); CO2 192g/km; Kerb weight 1340kg; Engine 6-cyls, horizontally-opposed, 2706cc, petrol; Installation mid, longitudinal, RWD; Power 271bhp at 7400rpm; Torque 214lb ft at 4500-6500rpm; Gearbox 6-spd manual[FONT=verdana,geneva"]

I know this review is not of the Cayman but i'll post here as there is more 981 chatter over here[:)] This guy is worth a listen, with the commentary transferable to the Cayman. EDIT oops!, now the correct video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0e5cml_2_A

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back