Menu toggle

Boxster Hardtop aka Cayman 981

daro911

PCGB Member

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/la-motor-show-2012/la-motor-show-porsche-cayman

The first undisguised picture of the all-new Porsche Cayman coupe has been leaked

A picture of the new Porsche Cayman has been leaked ahead of its debut at the LA Motor Show.

The single image reveals that the Cayman - which sits between the entry-level Boxster and 911 in Porsche's sports car line-up - will have unique styling tweaks. The front bumper has a circular cluster of LEDs, instead of the Boxster's strip lights, while there's also new wider intakes in the front bumper.

While these changes ensure that the Cayman looks different to the Boxster on which it's based, the new model will benefit from the improvements that the latest Boxster brought when its was launched earlier this year. These include weight savings for both better dynamics and improved efficiency, as well as a longer wheelbase to aid stability and increase cabin space.

The engine range should mirror the Boxster's, meaning a 271bhp 2.7-litre flat-six in the entry-level Cayman and a 3.4-litre in the Cayman S. It's expected to improve 0-62mph times, which could fall below 5.0-seconds on the S model with the PDK double-clutch transmission.

Prices aren't expected to change, with the Cayman starting at £39,000 and the S model priced at around £48,000. The Porsche Cayman will go on sale in early 2013.

Auto Express magazine seem to be using the same artist's impression which Jeff posted from Planet 9 yesterday which was from a French magazine. As the launch is going to be later today 12.00 PM at the LA show, that's 8pm our time, I would rather wait and see some photos of the real thing rather than rely on this. Interesting comment about pricing as I thought the 981 Boxster went up in price v's 987. Let's wait and see tonight.

The picture looks reasonably authentic Chris (it even has a Stuttgart number plate!), but it's amazing what they can do with Photoshop these days. As you say, best wait until later today for the official pictures, specs and prices. It's been a long wait..! Jeff

ORIGINAL: Motorhead The picture looks reasonably authentic Chris (it even has a Stuttgart number plate!), but it's amazing what they can do with Photoshop these days. As you say, best wait until later today for the official pictures, specs and prices. It's been a long wait..! Jeff
It's been a long and unnecessary wait IMO I can't fathom the logic behind Porsche running the 981 Boxster & Cayman launches at different times when they are basically twins :ROFLMAO: Production wise it doesn't make sense Sales wise it makes even less sense Surprise wise ... well there isn't anything much left to be surprised about once you have seen, read and driven a 981 Boxster Who would buy a 987 Cayman after seeing and reading all the rave reviews given to the 981 Boxster plus with only a marginal price increase and loads of new boxes to tick at the dealers desk it must make shifting the 987 version so much harder [:D]

I agree with you about the wait for the 981 Cayman, it has been out of production since January so maybe part of the reason is the switch in production facilities from Finland to Austria is taking longer than expected. The Cayman has always been so much more than just a Boxster with a hard top and I am sure when the road tests come out the 981 will continue to reflect that reality. In fact this could be the other reason for the delay if it is faster round the ring etc., than the Carrera non-S as it could impact on 911 sales. Then we will get the usual comments asking why doesnt it have more power. I agree there is nothing we don't already know about spec wise from the Boxster and 991 options list, but it's how it drives that will really count. [;)] Chris

ORIGINAL: chrisH I agree with you about the wait for the 981 Cayman, it has been out of production since January so maybe part of the reason is the switch in production facilities from Finland to Austria is taking longer than expected. The Cayman has always been so much more than just a Boxster with a hard top and I am sure when the road tests come out the 981 will continue to reflect that reality. In fact this could be the other reason for the delay if it is faster round the ring etc., than the Carrera non-S as it could impact on 911 sales. Then we will get the usual comments asking why doesnt it have more power. I agree there is nothing we don't already know about spec wise from the Boxster and 991 options list, but it's how it drives that will really count. [;)] Chris
I would say the switch of production facilities has nothing to do with it at all especially in the austerity times we are all living in The plan to date has always been New 911... followed by New Boxster ... followed last but not least by new Cayman My point was a 981 is a 981 be it the hard or soft top same DNA, same options, many shared panels, so why seperate the births [&o] I look forward to the test reviews and as I have been told many times in the past by different instructors at the PEC the difference between a Boxster or Cayman can only be experienced when driving flat out around a track at 10/10ths The average driver would never spot the difference they are that close [&o]

Maybe staggering launches gives more free publicity throughout the year, and to the uninitiated makes it look like they have loads of new models to launch.

I can only assume that 981 development team isn't large enough to develop fully the Boxster and Cayman simultaneously and the Boxster, being the bigger seller, has manpower priority. The Boxster will be more complex to develop due to the roof jiggery-pokery (although that will have been handled by their supplier - Karman? - it still has to be integrated into the body), but the other systems and components are identical, apart from spring and damper and DME tweaks. I've no idea how many Caymans are lying around in Stuttgart now. As Chris says, production ceased in January and so it's not been possible to spec a car, although I don't doubt that a built-up car could be adapted. Maybe now is a good time to pick up a 987 bargain. I don't really think that the production move to the VAG Osnabruck factory has had much impact on the release date. I seem to recall that the original Cayman was announced at about this time, possibly at the LA Show back then. Maybe Porsche stagger the release dates to try to emphasise the difference between the Boxster and Cayman; and the Cayman certainly seems to sell well in the US, presumably in States which have very cold winters where soft-tops are not so popular. I'm still amazed that Porsche have managed to keep a lid on this release. Rather takes me back to the 1960's - pre: photo-scoops, leaked details, Photoshop renderings, etc - when my dad and I used to await eagerly the arrival of the Motor or Autocar magazine with details of new cars. I think that the mags were sworn to secrecy by the manufacturers back then on pain of being excluded from future releases if they let something slip. Simpler times...! Jeff

ORIGINAL: daro911 ...as I have been told many times in the past by different instructors at the PEC the difference between a Boxster or Cayman can only be experienced when driving flat out around a track at 10/10ths
What do the instructors know? I think the difference is best experienced when you put the roof down on the Boxster and can feel the wind in your hair [:D][:D][:D]

Jeff, Who knows iif the Cayman launch has been delayed. We had been expecting details in the summer buti as we know the Stuttgart line was not able to cope with the joint demand for 991 and Boxster 981 without overtime working, until recently. I wonder if the plan has always been that the new Austrian line would not be ready to start Boxster and Cayman production until January 13. The dealers are talking about a March launch and no doubt customers will be able order and have cars built in the lead up to that event, much as we saw with the original Cayman S launch in Dec 2005. Lets face it Porsche want full production lines and back orders so building marlet demand to maximise profit is what they are so good at doing. Chris

It's out it's official it's all here [;)] http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/la-motor-show-2012/la-motor-show-porsche-cayman The renewal of Porsche’s sportscar line up continues apace with today's unveiling of a larger and lighter second-generation Cayman at the Los Angeles motor show. The new mid-engined coupé adopts a redesigned platform offering improved weight distribution as well as a series of weight saving measures that are claimed to result in a lighter car than its predecessor. Sister car to the Boxster, which it will be built with at Porsche’s Zuffenhausen factory (and eventually the old Karmann factory in Osnabruck), the new Cayman receives slightly different proportions in a move that serves to stretch its silhouette and provide the basis for a larger cabin. Length is up by 35mm, width extends by a scant 1mm while height drops by 10mm over its predecessor at 4380mm, 1801mm and 1295mm respectively. The Cayman once again shares its styling with the Boxster. Distinguishing features include daytime running lights and indicators housed within a round unit, more pronounced rear haunches and a heavily angled liftback style tailgate at the rear. As with its roadster sibling, the new coupé adopts an edgier appearance than its predecessor, with tauter surfacing and crisper lines, including a distinctive swage running through the doors and into larger cooling ducts ahead of the rear wheel arches. As part of Porsche's focus on weight saving, the body is predominantly aluminium. As on all recent Porsche models, the exterior mirrors are mounted on the doors rather than within the glasshouse. The wheelhouses have also increased in size, allowing Porsche to fit the range topping Cayman S with 19 inch wheels as standard and offer 20 inch rims as an option. Inside, there is a higher quality interior with added levels of accommodation. The two seat layout remains, but a longer cabin provides greater levels of seat adjustment and improved storage. Porsche claims 150 litres of luggage space in the nose and a further 162 litres at the rear in the space above the engine. As with the Boxster, the new Cayman will be sold with the choice of two flat six engines: a new 2.7-litre and a reworked version of the existing 3.4-litre. Buyers will also be able to choose between two gearboxes: a standard six speed manual or a seven speed dual clutch unit, which can idle the engine and disengage the clutch on a trailing throttle for to save fuel. The 2.7-litre unit replaces the older 2.9-litre engine, producing an added 10bhp but 7lb ft less torque, with 275bhp and 214lb ft. It is sufficient to propel the 1310kg Cayman to 62mph in 5.7sec and up to a top speed of 165mph, while delivering a combined fuel consumption of 34.5mpg and CO2 emissions of 192g/km, with the standard six-speed gearbox. The dual clutch gearbox extends performance and reduces consumption and emissions, with official claims of 5.4sec, 164mph, 36.7mpg and 180g/km. It will be joined from the outset by the reworked 3.4-litre engine. It delivers 5bhp more but the same level of torque as the old unit, with 325bhp at 7400rpm and 273lb ft at 4500rpm. This is enough to endow the 1320kg Cayman S with an official 0-62mph time of 5.0sec in six-speed manual form and 4.7sec with the dual clutch gearbox, together with corresponding top speeds of 176mph and 175mph. Fuel consumption is put at 32.1mpg and 35.3mpg respectively for the two gearboxes, with corresponding CO2 emissions of 206g/km and 188g/km. Underpinning the new Porsche is the same aluminium intensive chassis used by the Boxster. It receives a 60mm increase in the wheelbase over the platform used by the outgoing first-generation Cayman at 2475mm. The tracks have also been extended by 36mm to 1526mm at the front and 5mm to 1540mm at the rear, giving it an even more confident stance. As with the Boxster, the new car also adopts an electro-mechanical steering system and comes with the option of Porsche’s PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) that offers differing damping, throttle and steering characteristics. The Cayman wears 18-inch wheels – 8 inches wide up front and 9 inches at the rear, shod with 235/45 and 265/45 tyres. The 19 inch wheels of the Cayman S are 8 inch wide up front and 9.5 inches at the rear and come with lower profile 235/40 and 265/40 rubber. The standard steel brakes are 315mm in diameter for the Cayman and 330mm for the Cayman S up front, with the two sharing the same 299mm rotors at the rear. The reduction in height is said to provide a lower centre of gravity – something Porsche claims is at the heart of improvements in the Cayman’s overall dynamic ability. Nothing is official just yet but insiders suggest the Cayman S is up to 10sec per lap faster around the Nürburgring than the old model.

ORIGINAL: daro911 It's out it's official it's all here [;)] http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/la-motor-show-2012/la-motor-show-porsche-cayman
Some real photos are on the other thread already[:D]

NEW CAYMAN TOUGHENS UP Next year's Boxster coupe is squaring up for a scrap with its big brother. PH gets an early preview Porsche's head of design calls the styling of the current Cayman "humble" and "modest". Others might say effete, but after a walk round the newly revealed replacement we can report it definitely has a bit more aggression to it. Subtle changes do make a differenceArriving in UK showrooms March next year and launched at the LA motor show today (Wednesday), the new version of the coupe Boxster is hoped will boost the popularity of what so far has been Porsche's slowest-selling car. Last year in Europe just under 2,000 found homes, compared to 3,000 for the Boxster, 11,500 for the 911 and 18,000 for the Cayenne. It was also trounced by the Panamera at 7,500 sold. Technically speaking the car has already been revealed in the form of the new Boxster. The two cars share the new direct-injection six-cylinder boxer engines with the base 2.7-litre losing 200cc on the current Cayman, but increasing power by 10hp to 275hp. The 3.4 in the Cayman S is rated 325hp, a jump of 5hp. Interestingly both are 10hp punchier than the same engines in the Boxster. The entry Cayman costs £39,694, which is £500 cheaper than the current car but just over two grand more than the equivalent Boxster. It hits 62mph from rest in 5.7 seconds, or 0.1 second quicker with the optional 7-speed PDK twin-clutch gearbox. Mauer explains the shiny bar to PHThe S weighs in at £48,783, a grand more than today's car, and will hit 62mph in five seconds dead for the standard six-speed manual, with the PDK option just creeping into the fours. So those are the bare figures. We'll have to wait to find out whether it'll beat the sublime handling skills of the old car, so here in a drafty German photographic studio, we're talking styling with design boss Michael Mauer, who we've just grilled on general Porsche matters. The current Cayman is the only Porsche left not created under his watch. He's not rude as such, but maybe a touch apologetic. “There was never a question about its ride and handling, but still some people were not so sure it was a true Porsche," he tells us. "The design itself was a little bit humble, understated." He likens it to the shy younger brother of the 911, afraid to speak lest he grabs too much of the limelight from its older sibling. But not this time. "We wanted to give the car a new visual message, saying much clearer 'I'm a real sports car'," he says. Base 2.7 car makes 275hpWe're talking subtle differences here - it's a new Porsche after all. The new car has a 60mm longer wheelbase and a longer roofline. This time the rear window has a slight bow that means it doesn't disappear into the rear haunches like the old one. As with the Boxster, the rear active spoiler is stretched into the lights and looks good with it. There's a stronger focus on the side vents channeling air into the mid-mounted engine, and like many updated cars today the body lines are more precise to give a technical look to the extra muscle definition. If the yellow car up top looks as though it squats particularly well on its optional 20in wheels, then we can reveal a photographer's trick: several sand-filled water bottles in the (capacious) boot. As before, you look through the rear window onto a fake strut brace between the similarly visible rear suspension turrets in the boot. We ask Mauer about this. “Ferrari would display its engine here. We can't do this because the boxer engines are so low in the car, so we wanted to do something that attracts your eye," he says. Fair enough! 7-speed PDK twin-clutch again an optionNew tech on this car includes the new electro-hydraulic steering that instills such fear in car enthusiasts, rightfully in some cases, but Porsche's is one of the better ones. If you choose the optional PDK, likely to be around £2,000 again, you can then add adaptive cruise control to set a distance to the car in front. Shame its sensors are bumper mounted though - more chance of picking up grime. Economy gubbins such as start-stop help the economy and emissions to the point that only the manual S breaks the 200g/km CO2 barrier, and then only barely. All are rated in the 30s for mpg. PASM active dampers are an option, as is Sport Chrono with its launch control and dynamic transmission mounts. And torque vectoring does that trick of pinch-braking the inner rear wheel to better help it round corners. Cayman S yours for £48,783It shouldn't need much help. The two-seater is up to 40kg lighter than before to bring the base model in at 1340kg, thanks in part to aluminum doors, boot and bonnet. The engine is perfectly placed for optimal balance, the car is stiffer than before and, well, Porsche knows what it's doing. Hard to say whether it's more comfortable for taller drivers, a criticism of the old one. Felt okay to this six-footer, but you can't really tell until you do long distances. Mauer is confident Porsche is onto a winner here, especially when you ask him about rivals. He points out first that the Cayman is the only mid-engine sports car at this price point, perhaps writing off the Lotus Evora as too costly. As he says, "There's the Audi TT, BMW Z4. These are competitors, but there isn't really THE competitor, which shows Porsche is offering something special." As he didn't say, watch out 911.
Cayman%20lead.jpg

ORIGINAL: daro911 I can't fathom the logic behind Porsche running the 981 Boxster & Cayman launches at different times when they are basically twins :ROFLMAO: Production wise it doesn't make sense Sales wise it makes even less sense Surprise wise ... well there isn't anything much left to be surprised about once you have seen, read and driven a 981 Boxster
I have to agree. My thoughts here. http://www.porscheclubgbforum.com/tm.asp?m=729483&mpage=3&key=&#732948

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back