Menu toggle

Cheaper & Better To Drive ...

daro911

PCGB Member
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Porsche-Cayman-S-2009-CAR-review/

Cayman is tops

Jamie Corstorphine

I'm currently in Spain to drive the
revised Porsche Cayman S. It now gets direct fuel injection, more power, better economy and "" hallelujah "" a limited-slip differential. as a £737 option.

The other big news is the arrival of PDK, which remains a marvel of engineering spoilt by counterintuitive control buttons. In my opinion the manual remains the transmission of choice.

The new engine is brilliant though, quite a big stronger and it sounds better too. More meaty, more charismatic.

The big question, however, is which would you have:
a Cayman S or a Carrera 3.6?

Both now hit 62mph in 4.9sec but the Cayman is nearly £20,000 cheaper and better to drive. Unless you really need those extra (occasional) seats, surely it has to be the Cayman S. Best car Porsche currently makes?

Best car in the world, more like.

ORIGINAL: daro911 The big question, however, is which would you have: a Cayman S or a Carrera 3.6? Both now hit 62mph in 4.9sec but the Cayman is nearly £20,000 cheaper and better to drive. Unless you really need those extra (occasional) seats, surely it has to be the Cayman S. Best car Porsche currently makes?
I don't personally like the look of the Cayman, but it does make you scratch your head and wonder "why" when you look at the price difference! You're paying a massive premium for two little seats and the magic Carrera badge on the back. The Cayman's insurance and running costs are going to be less too and unless you track it, I guess you'd be pretty hard-pushed to notice the performance difference. Autocar reckon the Cayman is Porsche's best car now. To your question, which would I rather have? Neither - a Boxster. Sorry!

ORIGINAL: spyderman To your question, which would I rather have? Neither - a Boxster. Sorry!
On my 5th Boxster since 97 and totally agree it's the one for me too hence my no longer paying the bigger buck$ for the 997 Cabrio [8D] Roll on Spring 09 in meantime I look forward to going topless this weekend Just when you thought Porsche had honed its sports cars to perfection, it goes one better! The company’s popular roadster, the Boxster, has had a significant overhaul – and Auto Express got behind the wheel just after its unveiling at the Los Angeles Motor Show. Blink and you’ll miss the exterior changes –there are new lights and reshaped bumpers front and rear – but the tweaks go far beyond the styling. Porsche has updated the Boxster under the skin too, just as it did with the 911 earlier this year. The entry-level 2.7-litre flat-six has now grown to 2.9 litres, and it benefits from an extra 10bhp, taking the total output to 255bhp. The flagship 3.4-litre engine in the Boxster S we drove has also been blessed with Porsche’s latest direct-injection system. This develops an additional 15bhp to increase the power to 310bhp. But the biggest change is the introduction of the new PDK twin-clutch gearbox from the 911. This replaces the former Tiptronic S transmission, and is the first double-clutch box to be fitted to a mid-engined car. It helped our model shave a tenth of a second off the 0-62mph time of the six-speed manual variant. Add the optional Sports Chrono Package to the mix, and you’ll get the benefits of launch control. This maximises acceleration potential, and reduces the sprint time by a further two-tenths to five seconds. Porsche hasn’t only squeezed more performance out of these engines, though. The Boxster is now cleaner and more efficient than ever. Our PDK S emits 41g/km less CO2, with an output of 221g/km, while combined [link=http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/231840/porsche_boxster_s.html#]fuel economy[/link] is up by 4.4mpg to 30.1mpg. But this model has always been about driver appeal, and the latest version delivers. Fire up the flat-six and you’re met with a distinctive bark that’s a little higher pitched than before, and intensifies as the revs rise. The handling is second to none. Engineers have tinkered with the already excellent suspension set-up to further sharpen the ride. Plus, the brakes have been enhanced with extra electronic assistance during heavy braking, increasing feel and stopping power. Thankfully, the Boxster has retained its super-communicative steering, and the PDK box changes ratios swiftly and precisely. There are three shift options – normal, Sport and track-focused Sport Plus – although as with the 911, the wheel-mounted controls are counter-intuitive. You can’t help but think that it would benefit from a paddleshift arrangement. On paper, the PDK-equipped Boxster is marginally faster than the standard car, but keen drivers would no doubt prefer a manual transmission. Point the Boxster away from winding tarmac, and it’s just as impressive. In town, it’s comfortable and easy to drive. Sports car fans and driving enthusiasts should form an orderly queue. Price:[/b] £41,250[/ul] Engine:[/b] 3.4-litre flat 6cyl[/ul] Power:[/b] 310bhp[/ul] Transmission:[/b] Seven-speed automated manual, rear-wheel drive[/ul] 0-62mph:[/b] 5.0 seconds[/ul] Economy:[/b] 30.1mpg[/ul] CO2:[/b] 221g/km[/ul] Standard equipment:[/b] CD stereo, 18-inch alloy wheels, LED tail-lights, Porsche Stability Management, ABS[/ul] On sale:[/b] 21 February[/ul]

Daro, I have a facelift Boxster on order and have to finalise spec. this month. A few things I just cant make my mind up on: 1/. I had a 2.7, should I go for the 3.4 as it sounds a lot more meaty and the fuel consumption seems to be the same. It is 6k more on paper but believe the 18ins and partial leather are standard so actual price is more like 4k more. 2/. Should I play safe and go for Arctic or choose Guards Red, as I doubt there is much difference in trade in value and everone chooses silver these days. 3/. Does the new Radio come with touchscreen, if you dont have SAT/NAV. Will it show phone information if you select the Bluetooth option and the I-pod/MP3 tracks like the Gen II 997? There is no configurator online yet for the facelift Boxster or Cayman so how can we find out about these things. I have mentioned this to my OPC but no reply yet. Chris

1. 2.9 2. Guards Red 3. The full spec order document can be found on the CaymanClub website. [;)]

ORIGINAL: John H 1. 2.9 2. Guards Red 3. The full spec order document can be found on the CaymanClub website. [;)]
John H So it looks like you guys like the guards red then. Can you expand on why the 2.9 would be your choice, seeing as you drive a Cayman. Having had the 2.7 I was always left wondering whether the 3.4 would be the ultimate drive and now with 310bhp. Where exactly do I find the spec details, isnt this for the US market? Chris

its really up to what you think as usual!! personally i found the cayman 2.7 insufficient for MY needs possibly as i was moving from a 996 3.6 c4.but you may find differently try both as always!!

I simply like the 2.7 engine more than the larger 3.4, and I suspect the 2.9 will be superb. Just a personal thing though. Attached (hopefully) is the .pdf file for the Cayman order form. Granted it is the USA version, but it answers some of your questions, like the stock radio does not suport USB or iPod, it merely has an Aux socket ... how generous of them [:mad:]

Bah ... this pesky forum wont accept .pdf files as uploads, so I have stashed a copy on my own website ... [link=http://www.arthurlea.com/Storage/2009_Cayman_order_guide_caymanclub_dot_net%5B1%5D.pdf]http://www.arthurlea.com/Storage/2009_Cayman_order_guide_caymanclub_dot_net%5B1%5D.pdf[/link]

ORIGINAL: John H 1.  2.9 2. Guards Red 3. The full spec order document can be found on the CaymanClub website.
1. 3.4 2. I'd go for Ruby red, with a red centre console, red seat belts and white dials! 3. The PCM is the same system as the 997 Gen.2 which as has been stated does not support iPod or other such devices without paying a bit extra for the interface. I would certainly spec that as even if I didn't use it much, it would be a good selling point come trade-in. I don't think I'd go for the Bose option though - some folk reckon it's a bit pants.

Looks like I should test drive the S even though the new engine is not out yet. I would be OK with Guards red and I dont think it would effect resale value unless you sell privately. I have been there before with the Sat/Nav decision on my Audi S5. I was assured I would get the 2k back and I suppose I did compared with a non S/N car, although the trade in was awful either way. Did I thnk it was worth having, No. As I dont use it for work, it was pure novelity value, seeing whether it chose the same route you already used for the last 20 years and seeing your phone list on the screen.

3.4 every time [8D] One test drive in each would confirm what suits you best though Arctic far less maintenance than Guards and easier to sell on and it looks fantastic with the special order red leather interior [;)] Don't know [&o]
B1ABC722A2394041BC82D8B68A190F77.jpg

For the sake of 0.1 second, I would not buy a PDK [:'(] . I just love manuals so when I buy another supercar, it will be a manual. Harry

ORIGINAL: harry For the sake of 0.1 second, I would not buy a PDK [:'(] . I just love manuals so when I buy another supercar, it will be a manual. Harry
110% with you on that one ... stick shifts everytime for me and it would appear with the majority of the road testers to date all say you can't beat the manual for max thrills

ORIGINAL: daro911 3.4 every time [8D] One test drive in each would confirm what suits you best though Arctic far less maintenance than Guards and easier to sell on and it looks fantastic with the special order red leather interior [;)] Don't know [&o]
B1ABC722A2394041BC82D8B68A190F77.jpg
Daro, Subject to test drive then its an S in Arctic, PASM, Sports Wheel and Wind deflector. Cant see any other options being worth it for me, don't do the miles. Does the S come with any other standard kit other than 18ins, part leather and white dials? Will think about red interior, liked Metropole I had before. Chris

ORIGINAL: daro911 The big question, however, is which would you have: a Cayman S or a Carrera 3.6? Both now hit 62mph in 4.9sec but the Cayman is nearly £20,000 cheaper and better to drive. Unless you really need those extra (occasional) seats, surely it has to be the Cayman S. Best car Porsche currently makes?
No wait just a minute! Lets not compare apples and pairs. Actually, the Carrera 3.6 PDK hits 62mph in 4.7 secs, not 4.9 secs and has a top speed of 180 mph. However, this argument is not about performance... after all most cars in this sector enjoy very similiar performance. Can you reallly tell the difference between 4.7 and 4.9? No, what this is about is image and personal requirements. I totally agree that the Cayman S is the best Porsche ever made. So why have I not got one? Look below; you will note that I have had two! This time I wanted a convertible. So why not the best roadster ever made; the Boxster? Cos I have had two of those also. Fillet steak is great, but do you really want it seven times a week? So for me it has to be the new 911. It is special and people say "Wow" when they see it. No one ever said that about my Cayman! I love my 911.

ORIGINAL: dyllan
It is special and people say "Wow" when they see it. No one ever said that about my Cayman!
happy christmas derek[:D]
PORSCHE CAYMAN S PH drives the latest version of Porsche's mid-engined baby...
191108por-.jpg
[FONT=verdana,geneva"] The Porsche Cayman can seem like a bit of a lost soul sometimes. To some it is a Boxster with a roof and to others it is unfairly seen as a poor man’s 911. But since this mid-engined sports car was introduced in 2005 it has soldiered on regardless, impressing us with its undeniable depth of ability. And now we have a new Cayman, which after a bit of soul-searching has found its own identity. For starters the latest car has more power than its Boxster brother – 320bhp compared to 310bhp in ‘S’ form – which the carmaker says further accentuates its sportier, more focused nature. Power from the 3.4-litre boxer engine is up over the previous Cayman S by 25bhp and thanks to the latest witchcraft that is Direct Fuel Injection fuel economy is up 15% too. [link=http://www.pistonheads.com/pics/news/19085/191108-a-por--L.jpg]
191108-a-por--t.jpg
[/link] [FONT=verdana,geneva"]Whatever way you look at it more power from less fuel has to be a good thing. But changes to the 3.4-litre unit do not stop at just a power boost and direct injection – Porsche’s engineers have been obsessively revising the unit to make the car even more driveable. For example the tappet shafts have been reduced in size to save 10g each, and this applies to all 24 of them, contributing to a 6kg reduction in the weight of the engine. The crank case is now a two piece unit instead of a four piece which makes it stiffer, thus reducing friction and improving efficiency. The suspension set-up has remained pretty much the same, albeit with tweaked spring rates and damper settings in line with the extra power. The Cayman is now offered with Porsche’s unpronounceable Porsche-Doppelkupplungsgetriebe gearbox, or PDK to you and me, which was first developed for motorsport around 25 years ago. With the Sports Chrono Package Plus this ‘box includes ‘Launch Control’ which gives the ‘S’ a very 911-like 0-60mph of 4.9 seconds. And unlike other launch control systems Porsche assures us that this system is built to last and not just for a handful of goes. Externally the Cayman, like the new Boxster, has only a few subtle revisions including LED lights at the rear and Carrera GT-style front lamps. If you liked the look of the car before then you’ll probably like it even more now.
191108-c-por-.jpg
[FONT=verdana,geneva"] Perhaps the most interesting addition to the Cayman is the option of a limited-slip differential, something that the company refused to fit to the previous model. The company’s representatives say that a diff was not possible on the former Tiptronic car, but this doesn’t explain why it is now fitted to the manual. At the launch in Jerez, Spain, Porsche remained tight-lipped about exactly why the car now comes with this option, which journalists had previously suggested would take it too close to the 911. The unexpectedly wet and greasy roads around Jerez seem to have a patchwork of different surfaces and don’t seem ideal for a new rear-wheel drive, mid-engined Porsche, but straight away the car impresses. The driving position is excellent in the Cayman and inside it feels like a quality product, with more than enough room for luggage and two people. [link=http://www.pistonheads.com/pics/news/19085/2128841415686356x236-L.jpg]
2128841415686356x236-t.jpg
[/link] [FONT=verdana,geneva"]Whereas the criticism with the new Direct Injection engines in the 911 is that they have robbed the car of some of its character the same can’t be said for the Cayman. Build up the revs and the cabin is filled with a sweet flat-six howl, hard-edged and unashamedly intrusive. This gives you an early clue to the Cayman’s character – it is a hardcore car that doesn’t want to be driven slowly. The steering is spot on, with a chunky feel and a directness that puts the car exactly where you want it. As I head out onto the slippery back roads the back tyres can be easily overcome and the rear of the Cayman will step out with little encouragement. It is testament to the effectiveness of the PSM system that the car will break away, but only enough before it is reined in for proceedings to continue. In these conditions it seems far more sensible to resist the temptation to flick around the gears excessively, instead leaving it in one ratio and letting the engine do the work. Although the PDK system undeniably works brilliantly it is perhaps a victim of its own success. The changes are so fast and seemless - 60% faster than a conventional automatic transmission – that the ‘box itself can become a distraction, taking away that simple mechanical action of a manual gearbox.
191108-b-por-.jpg
[FONT=verdana,geneva"] Power from the 3.4-litre is never a problem however. The Cayman S is an incredibly quick car, especially in the mid-range where it seems to have almost supercar-chasing punch. Despite it being agile enough to tackle even the bumpy, twisty and narrow sections that run through the hills away from the coast, the ‘S’ is most at home on the wider fast-flowing roads. There is almost zero body roll and the Cayman simply devours left after right hander at a mind-blowing rate. The £737 diff is a bargain, and gives the car grip where without it the rear would undoubtedly become unsettled, instead tucking the car in and sharpening the line. [link=http://www.pistonheads.com/pics/news/19085/09-cayman-s-if-L.jpg]
09-cayman-s-if-t.jpg
[/link] [FONT=verdana,geneva"]The brakes, in true Porsche fashion, are hard to fault, hauling the car up without upsetting it on wet roads even when you are entering a corner too fast. They need a decent shove to make them bite, but bite they will and they just serve to inspire even more confidence in the car’s capabilities. The £44,250 Cayman is a true sports car in the most traditional way. Driving it isn't always easy, you need commitment and focus, constantly learning more about the car that you can apply to the next corner. It is a completely absorbing experience that leaves you wanting to drive more and more, reaping the rewards when you get it right and scaring the hell out of you when you don’t. Porsche’s engineers and marketing people seem to become a little edgy if you mention the Cayman S in the same breath as the 911, but it is clear it has closed the gap considerably. This is a credit crunch Porsche that is the cheaper but perhaps no longer the inferior choice. Maybe the question you have to ask yourself now is where you like your engine to be.
09-cayman-s-rss.jpg
[FONT=verdana,geneva"][FONT=verdana,geneva"]

Andrew Frankel ... December 7th Sunday Times Porsche, for so long the beacon of exclusive car makers and Europe’s most profitable one, is suddenly looking vulnerable. The bedrock of its recent success, the gargantuan Cayenne SUV, now looks as fashionable as a fur coat; the newly announced Pana-mera appears to be a large and not very attractive saloon about to launch into a market where small has never seemed more beautiful; and even the new 911 has received mixed reviews. So a lot rests on this latest version of the Cayman. The car is three years old now but has never been a frequent sight on our roads. As a two-seater - but without a convertible roof - it sits in a niche within a niche that has never caught the public’s attention, even though purists and the press have raved about it since it was launched. Now it is receiving two new engines - a 2.9 litre motor for the standard Cayman and a 3.4 litre for the sporty S model. The suspension, wheels and tyres have been completely revised, while a sharp-shifting, seven-speed, paddle-shift, double-clutch automatic PDK gearbox is also available for those no longer wedded to the idea of a conventional manual box. More subtle, but no less important to those who will drive their Caymans hard, Porsche is making a limited-slip differential available for the first time. This device improves grip and traction, particularly in bad weather or on the track, and is reputed to have been omitted from the Cayman spec sheet until now only because its inclusion would make the car faster around a circuit than a standard 911 - a bit awkward given the price gulf between them of nearly £20,000. It is perhaps a sign of the times that Porsche’s press information on the new Cayman cites its better fuel economy before even mentioning its improved performance, but the headline figures for the Cayman S I drove include a 25bhp power hike to 320bhp, a 5.2sec sprint to 62mph (0.2sec faster than before) and a top speed of 172mph - a more modest 1mph hike. If you fit the PDK box, with its launch control system, the 0-62mph time comes down to 4.9sec. [FONT=verdana,geneva"][FONT=verdana,geneva"]The car as a whole is better than ever. This may come as a surprise, given that the new 911, while technically improved, is a somewhat less desirable and memorable car than its predecessor. The single-minded pursuit of greater efficiency has sucked out and sponged away a chunk of the charm that for the past 45 years has enabled the 911 to stand out from the crowd. Not so in the Cayman. The new engine does indeed offer better performance and lower fuel consumption than the old unit, but it still sounds great and still responds with joy to every prod of the throttle. Mounted inches behind your head (rather than in the boot, as in the 911), it is a constant, irrepressible presence. Nor has the car been compromised by Porsche’s modifications to the supension. Since it was launched, the Cayman has always been Porsche’s lightest, most responsive and best handling product, and now its advantage is more stark than ever. And with that trick differential, you can jump on the power at the exit of tight corners, knowing the car now possesses the ability to direct it all where it is needed: straight to the surface of the road. All that is wrong is the PDK gearbox. Porsche’s official reason for not bringing manual-transmission cars to the launch was that it wanted us to experience the most interesting and exciting variant of the new Cayman range, though I suspect it may have crossed its mind that it would also obviate unwelcome comparison. However, PDK not only saps driver involvement; because Porsche has put the buttons in the wrong place and made them work in the wrong way, it is usually annoying and occasionally infuriating. The visual changes to the Cayman are minimal and restricted mainly to new front and rear lights, a new front air intake and larger door mirrors. None of this tinkering can alter the fact that the Cayman is a slightly odd-looking beast. Porsche has always been able to work mechanical wonders, but it has been years or even, some might argue, decades since it last produced a truly good-looking car. Still, no one ever bought a Cayman for its looks. As it lacks the practicality of the four-seater 911 and the pose value of the convertible Boxster, the only real reason for buying a Cayman is that it’s so good to drive, and the good news is that, PDK aside, in this regard it is better than ever. Do I predict that this good news will result in a sudden boom in Cayman sales? Of course not: even if the current economic climate were less hostile, the Cayman is too narrowly focused on the provision of pure driving pleasure ever to achieve wide-ranging appeal. This is a pity because the Cayman is now the best car in the Porsche portfolio. Porsche Cayman S ENGINE 3436cc, six cylinders POWER 320bhp @ 7200rpm TORQUE 273 lb ft @ 4750rpm TRANSMISSION Seven-speed PDK FUEL / CO2 ACCELERATION 0-62mph: 4.9sec TOP SPEED 172mph PRICE £46,069 ROAD TAX BAND F (£210 a year) VERDICT Porsche’s current best RELEASE DATE February 21
rating_stars_4_136526a.gif
[FONT=verdana,geneva"]

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back