Menu toggle

CR Manual man gives 718 Cayman S PDK a weekend test.

Brian_Innes

Here it is folks, my first impressions of the 718 Cayman S PDK over a weekend test of more than 280 miles driven on a few of the Highland's best driving roads.

I am very grateful to OPC Aberdeen for granting me the opportunity for an extended test drive on local rural roads which I know extremely well, pending the arrival of my new 718 CS PDK next month. The demo car was lightly specced from a keen driver's standpoint , only having PDK, Sports Chrono with mode switch, and sports exhaust. Everything else pretty much the basic standard equipment.

Despite the foul weather in the north of Scotland coinciding with the test, I was able to gain enough experience on the new 718 CS PDK to form a meaningful first impression opinion on this substantially changed version of the Cayman range.

Following 4 years ownership and 30k miles in my previous Cayman R manual, I was not expecting to entirely overawed by this new evolution 4 pot turbo with PDK. I am a lifetime manual shift exponent, well practised in throttle blipping, heeling and toeing, and gear ratio sense that comes with more than 50 years of motorsport and track day driving. My passion for driving has now reached the point where the evolution of Porsche's now revised PDK gearbox mated with the latest Sports Chrono option, has now turned my head.

The first thing to deal with is the 2.5lt 4 pot turbo. Starting the car for the first time after 8 years of flat six Cayman's is an uncanny experience. In place of the usual Whrrrr! Bark! Vroom! of the flat six, you get a sort of Whrrr! Bark! Brrrrr Burble, Burble, Burble. At first you may think your Cayman flat six has a miss-fire on two cylinders such is the culture shock of the new sound. Blipping the throttle at rest does nothing to improve the impression of something being amiss here. Once underway, the engine settles down to a deep base note and actually sounds ok in a sort of Subaru-esque sort of way. Power delivery is smooth, torquey, and revvy with an impressive pull from 4000 to the red line at 7400rpm.

I didn't experience any noticeable turbo lag with the 718 CS. My daily driver is an Abarth 595 Competizione 180 which has a mighty big turbo blowing into it's 1.4lt 4 pot which will display dollops of turbo lag if you are lazy with the gearshift. Not so the 718 CS. I found driving in towns and villages extremely smooth and effortless with the PDK set in D and Sport selected on the mode switch. In this setting the gearbox behaved exactly as I would choose with a manual gearbox, selecting 3rd gear and holding it for the duration of 30mph zone driving. Exiting a roundabout in this PDK 3rd gear Sport configuration provided a smooth and instant pick up devoid of any lag that I could detect. In fact, being honest, I thought the 718 CS behaved better than the CR manual at exiting 30mph or 40mph roundabouts where the "emissions induced flat spot" left the CR 3.4lt feeling a bit breathless, unless downshifted to 2nd gear. One thing I would unreservedly recommend is the inclusion of the Sport Chrono and Mode Switch with the PDK option. The two go together extremely well. To spec one without the other is missing out in optimising the 718 driving experience in my opinion. The manual gearbox does not derive the same range of benefits with the Sport Chrono as the PDK does. When I eventually have my new car run-in, I shall comment on the 718 track day driving experience in more detail. I'm particularly impressed with the revised shift pattern of the new PDK on manual, where push forward downshifts, and pull back upshifts mimic a racing sequential gearbox. I'm going to love this on track days.

Unleashed on the open, flowing, deserted Highland roads the 718 CS simply flies! Let me be clear, this car is 911 Carrera S quick. I am saying this from knowledgeable experience having driven the new twin turbo 3.0 911 CS PDK earlier this year on the same roads. The sport mode switch settings of Sport and Sport Plus combined with PDK, really enhance the driving enjoyment on roads such as I am describing here. The 718 CS is a formidable cross country tool by any standards. I am absolutely convinced that when capable track day owners take their 718's to PCGB track days, they will not be the only ones to be hugely impressed. Not only does the 718 handle and steer better than previous Caymans, it has far superior brakes, and has substantially improved body control and composure when pressing on, even compared to the CR, and I never expected this from a mere Cayman S. Just a brief word on the steering, the new 10% quicker Porsche Turbo steering rack is an absolute peach. It makes the car noticeably pointier without feeling nervous. The steering feel of the road on the new EPS system does however fall way short of the sublime "fizz" feedback of the CR hydraulic steering. I used to joke that if you rolled over a 50 pence piece with the CR you could tell whether the coin was heads or tails. Exaggeration maybe, but not that far off of reality.

I'll pass on the 718 cabin comforts and technology improvements in this piece, as that topic has been covered extensively elsewhere. My impressions are, that the 718 CS is undoubtably setting a new higher benchmark for the Cayman model in spite of the motoring press expressing reservations on the engine noise. Given time, it will become accepted for the wonderful sports car it truly is. When I take delivery of my new 718 CS, it will not ever be a replacement for my superb CR, it'll rather be an enhancement of the Porsche Cayman driving experience for a different purpose in my life. Unlike some opinions expressed on the 718, I seek to embrace change where it shows improvement, and not hark backwards to things as they once were. If that luddite rationale were the norm, we would all still be driving large capacity n/a engines with 4 speed crash gearboxes requiring double-declutching skills. I rest my case.

My opinion is, this new car is here and now. The forthcoming 718 GTS model, when it appears, will be even stronger and better. Let's embrace it, accept it, and most of all, enjoy it.

Brian

Interesting read, thanks. Saying it's miles ahead of previous Caymans may be true for your 987, but a more valid comparison would have been a 981 S vs 718 S where it's probably only a very minor improvement.

Well, I have driven several 981 Cayman S models both PDK and manual.

The 718 CS PDK is streets ahead of the 981 in every dynamic department except one, in my opinion. I'll not need to mention the exception!

Burble,Burble, Burble.

Brian

Given it's a .2 upgrade, and not a completely new chassis, I find "streets ahead" very hard to believe!

Twinfan said:
Interesting read, thanks. Saying it's miles ahead of previous Caymans may be true for your 987, but a more valid comparison would have been a 981 S vs 718 S where it's probably only a very minor improvement.
Twinfan said:
Given it's a .2 upgrade, and not a completely new chassis, I find "streets ahead" very hard to believe!
A good honest review Brian although won't you be using the paddles on the steering wheel on track days rather than the shifter?

The paddles are the natural choice for semi auto shifting obviously. I'll use the stick shifter on track days when I'm in "race car" mode. At last Porsche have now configured the PDK stick shift in the way motorsport drivers are used to. It's the best of both worlds in my view.

Regarding the 718 CS PDK compared to a 981 CS PDK, I always felt underwhelmed by the 981. My 987 CR was so much more focussed and pointy. I did consider a 981 GTS but as they were the same price as a driver's spec 718 CS PDK, I decided to take the new car option. Thus far I am not regretting it.

I know driving impressions are a very subjective thing, but I honestly considered the 718 CS PDK I drove on my roads, a huge improvement over the 981 CS PDK. The new revised mapping for the Sport and Sport Plus mode switch in conjunction with the PDK, really comes into it's own on for the type of roads I do most of my driving on.

That's my take on the 718 for what it's worth. Others are perfectly entitled to differ.

Brian

"selecting 3rd gear and holding it for the duration of 30mph zone driving. Exiting a roundabout in this PDK 3rd gear Sport configuration provided a smooth and instant pick up devoid of any lag that I could detect. In fact, being honest, I thought the 718 CS behaved better than the CR manual at exiting 30mph or 40mph roundabouts where the "emissions induced flat spot" left the CR 3.4lt feeling a bit breathless, unless downshifted to 2nd gear"

That's the thing with the R and what makes it a great car to drive though, you would be in 2nd gear not 3rd ;-)

I go out with a few people who are PDK converts, but I tend to find they don't plan or look ahead as much and as such the automatic changes gear after the bend or when over taking after the over take.

when you drive a car and I do mean drive it, you plan ahead, you select the right gear before the roundabout or overtake and all is great with the world, one has to think and drive the car ! that's the fun

people say they will use the paddles but give it a few months and you find they drive in automatic mode all the time and the gears change down after the overtake/bend or worse on track again after the apex lol

Absolutely David.

As a manual gearbox exponent, I'm intending using the paddles in Sport mode and driving as I would a manual car. Of course when the mood takes me I'll revert to the "D" full auto mode when appropriate. Conversely, I'll use the Sport and Sport Plus when I'm in a "press-on mood". Best of both worlds really.

I always anticipate what is coming up and plan ahead in my driving as a matter of course. I'm really looking forward to adapting my existing skills to the new PDK gearbox. Old dogs and new tricks maybe, but there's life in this old dog yet!

I'm hoping PDK will enhance the driving experience and enjoyment of my new car. Time will tell.

Brian

That was a good read Brian. I've still not sorted out a test drive in a 718 yet.

As I've been in a car with you on track I was visualising your test drive and could just imagine you having a spirited drive around your favourite roads !

I look forward to your opinion on it when you get yours on track.

Archie

At last, someone else who has not been blinkered by the luke warm reception from the sheep-like journalists. A great review from someone driving with an open mind!

I'm presuming you have read my review of Aberdeen's base model Cayman 718 in this months Porsche Post and you will gather I am of the same opinion as yourself, that this is a fabulous car which has been damned by faint praise so far.

Both your reviews have highlighted what a great car the 718 is, it seemed like most motoring journos came with a predetermined opinion that a 4 cylinder turbo engine could never be as good as the previous 6 cylinder N/A engine. The most balanced review being the Pistonheads you tube review on the Cayman by Dan Trent, worth watching.

As I have been on the waiting list for a Cayman S since early May it has been interesting to follow the reviews. it is worth noting the trend in recent reviews which show a noticeably less negative opinion on the engine .Having driven the 718 Boxster S and 718 Cayman (and 981 Cayman) these are great engines offering more power and more usable torque than the previous model, which in itself is a very accomplished car.

Having spoken to a number of existing Cayman/Boxster owners who have driven the 718 they have all remarked that they see it as a better car, it is the opinion of these people that I value rather than the motoring press. All the prestige manufacturers are downsizing , reducing cylinder count and turbocharging their engines so I would wager that the motoring press will have moved on In a year or so.

I doubt it, turbo are pain in the arse really, run at daft temps and will not last like a NA lump.

just another thing to go wrong 10 years down the line, it's a daft concept really Done for one reason these days co2

like all newer cars buying 2nd hand will get harder and harder, on mistreated cars.

and as 80% sales are pcp hand backs most are ragged by the 1st owner.

Sad times.

SAD times indeed David.

I have a more optimistic outlook on my driving enjoyment for what remains of my Porsche ownership.

I shan't be keeping my 718 CS PDK that long, and I shall certainly not mistreating it. It's bought outright, not PCP and I'll get a decent return for it when I'm done.

As the Monty Python song goes........."Keep looking on the bright side of Life"

Brian

Agree with Dick Dastardly about the honest and readable You Tube review by Dan Trent of Piston Heads on the 718 Cayman S manual. All credit to him for testing the car on real driver's roads, instead of the usual motorway and dual carriageway test routes with a thrash around an airfield.

I would like to read a similar road test review by Dan Trent of the PDK and Sport Chrono mode switch equipped 718 CS. As I stated in my own modest report, the revised PDK and Sport Chrono mapping really suits the new turbo 4 engine in the 718 Cayman S so much better than in the manual version.

Brian

Interesting review, everyone seems to default to PDK these days but whilst a appreciate the technical merits of this type of gearbox I just can't bring myself to tick the box. Having had a DSG Audi a few years ago I found that once the novelty of using the paddles wore off I ended up driving everywhere in D and as MrDemon said above, my concentration levels, road reading & anticipation levels fell off dramatically, sold it after 6 months and went back to a manual.

Some of the worst passenger rides I've ever experienced have been with drivers of 'automatics'... white knuckle rides doesn't really cover some of them, barreling up to junctions with me pressing the imaginary brake pedal, pulling away at warp speed and then having to slam on the anchors 30 seconds later and then that most irritating head nodding 'creep' in traffic.

Therefore, I'm really looking forward to another 3 or 4 years of manual driving when my new Cayman arrives :)!

I completely accept your point of view on semi-auto gearboxes Fudgie. I have also had the white knuckle passenger experiences you describe with "automatic" drivers. As a lifetime manual exponent, I am making my first foray into the world of PDK on this particular Cayman.

My plan is to utilise the basic "D" selection to relieve left leg fatigue when in high destiny traffic conditions in urban environments. I shall use the excellent Sport setting when traffic density is thinner for holding the gearbox in 2nd or 3rd in 30mph and 40mph zones.

On the wonderful flowing rural roads in my locality I intend to use the manual setting in Sport and Sport Plus on the PDK, either with the paddles, or the motorsport intuitive selector stick, which at long last operates the way that comes naturally to anyone who has ever driven a race car. On track days the PDK either using paddles or stick, should be absolutely superb.

In choosing the PDK option I am hoping to retain, and possibly even enhance, my existing well developed driving skills and gear sense nurtured over many decades of manual gearbox driving. The act of throttle blipping and matching revs to road speed on a quiet, flowing country road is one of the most satisfying skills to master for the keen driver. The PDK and Sport mappings on the 718 are so good at mimicking this acquired skill when in manual mode, that I have to admit I couldn't do it better myself.

I shall be reporting in more detail on my experiences with the new PDK and Sport mode switch on my 718 CS in the new year.

Enjoy your manual Cayman when it arrives. You will not be disappointed!

Brian

Hi Brian,

Look forward to reading more on your PDK experience when it arrives, definitely think the new motorsport pull / push of the selector stick is much more intuitive as I remember using the DGS stick (in the reverse configuration) felt very wrong!

Have fun with the car when it arrives and maybe we can swap notes over the coming years, you never know I might give the semi-auto another try in the future!

Jon

Well I have had the 718S for a few hours and done some tests vs the R and my mates new 981PDK S

I don't get who would buy the 718 :-( bar posh house wife's who have grown out of kids and have no need for a Chealsea tractor now. (tongue in cheek of course :p )

The engine is dull, the noise unpleasant, sort of half way between a Scooby and a Diesel which farts now and again !

steering feel no better than the 981 and while it turns in better due to the turbo rack, it's over light and has zero feed back in this damp wet weather once pushed over the limit.

PDK, well just makes the whole thing even duller, I don't get automatics really in fun cars.

Performance is interesting it feels faster than it is, of course this is due to the turbo and that feel In the back, but shocked when we dragged raced it to 120mph on our track at Brunters the 718 only pulled 2 car lengths over the R, so while it feels faster there is nothing in it worth getting excited about.

It was a PDK vs manual also so the R did very well due to loosing out in gear change speed over the PDK 718.

£70k was the spec of the car we drove, I don't see that value in it, the new air vents look very cheap and plastic the rest is pure 981 as it's the same car with a small facelift.

Big issue in the dark !! the chrono clock is so far back on the dash with no hood, it reflects onto the windscreen, really off putting an over sight error in design !

Again a new item auto high beam help, well it dazzled every one, most cars flashed coming the other way as it took too long to dip, and once past it took to long to turn back to full beam.

Don't spec it.

It is a bit like a golf in a posh dress now, and for that reason the TTRS would be a better buy and crazy performance vs the 718.

Or if I were getting to an age where the R was an annoying hard ride, an Aston would get my vote.

The R does really feel like a RS gen sports car vs the 718 in every way, exciting, amazing body control, a noise no 4 pot can match, steering feel in spades, you would not think they are from the same family.

I cannot think of a good point sorry ;-( not for me. (ok it's nice to see the front calipers are a bit larger over the 987/981, that's it.)

If you want a newish Porsche Cayman/Boxster get a 981 flat 6 while you can still find as new ones with very low miles.

If you want a real sports car the R is still is the best sports car for sale, new or used below £60k imo.

David, I think you started out with the frame of mind not to like the 718 CS PDK.

As I said in my review, the 718 CS is not a replacement for the "R" and was not intended as such. It is a tad better than a Golf in my opinion though........

Your comments on the self-dipping headlights may be sortable with adjustment. I haven't specced this option so can't comment. I had no problem with reflections from the Chrono clock in the dark. Maybe it's my Specsavers glasses working well.

Your opinions on the 3 hours with the 718 are yours to enjoy.

I'll reserve my final judgement on the car after a few months of ownership.

Brian

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back