Menu toggle

New member with new Porsche

Palmball

Hi all, I wasn't sure where to introduce myself however as I've just taken delivery of a new 911, here seemed as good a place as any. Long thread warning though....I recommend settling down with a drink before starting [:D]

I thought I'd use this opportunity to introduce my journey into Porsche, although some of you may recognise my name from various other forums (such as Pistonheads) so apologies in advance, as you will see repeated content here. Still, I hope you enjoy my little story.....

I'm actually a returning member, having joined (and lapsed) a number of years ago when I got my first Porsche, a 997.2 Turbo. For various reasons I didn't get on with that car, and I suspect it wasn't a great example to lead me into the brand at that time. I was / am also a big AMG fan and have been lucky to have owned all the ones I wanted to, but I've fallen somewhat out of love with their new design and turbocharged engines. Here's a couple of pictures of my favourites:

I should never have sold this one..... [:(]
P1020729_zpsb2aded92.jpg

P1060079_zpshe4d2e0i.jpg

More recently however, I've found a new appreciation for the Porsche brand, both in terms of how good the product is (have you ever driven a bad modern Porsche?) and also the service and experience, which is a good step up from the volume brands I'm more accustomed to.

My return to Porsche about a year ago was when replacing my wife's car, a Mercedes E63 AMG. We bought an ex-demo BMW X6 M. It lasted 6 weeks. It was (relatively speaking for such a pricey car) rubbish. We changed it for a 2 year old Cayenne S diesel, which was simply fantastic in comparison, and easily proved to be one of the best cars we've had.

P1070517_zpsrhxnzwzq.jpg

Fast forward to the end of the year and I was faced with the choice of renewing the warranty on it, going without or swapping the car. The Cayenne had lost so little of it's value and my local dealer had an imminent build slot on a Macan Turbo, so knowing the strong Porsche residuals I sold the Cayenne and ordered the Macan. We got the Macan on 4th March and practically drove it out of the showroom and down to Venice, through Switzerland. In its' first week, we did nearly 3000 miles in that car!

FCC83430-C4F2-41E4-A1F1-4DCB7A064141_zpslziqqpxz.jpg

At the same time, I was having a nightmare with my own car, a new Audi R8. I was already on my second one after the first proved to be so unreliable, causing me to reject it after a few months. The second one was even worse, and eventually I had to start litigation against the Audi dealer to get my money back. I succeeded getting enough back to 'happily' walk away from it, and I've not looked back since (my first, and last experience of Audi thank you very much). By contrast, the Cayenne and Macan were faultless, endearing me further to the Porsche brand at a time when I was experiencing the opposite from Audi.

My initial reaction post-R8 was to buy a 911 Turbo S, given they are natural competitors with similar levels of performance. However, my dealer didn't have one available for test drive but threw me the keys to a C2S for a weekend so I could see how I'd get on with a 991. I was blown away. Despite coming out of a 610bhp supercar, the C2S was so much more useable and enjoyable. Despite being a N/A fan I still really rated the power delivery and sound of the new 3.0 Turbo Porsche engine, which is something I was not expecting. Sure, it was slower at the top end of the rev range, but I could really 'drive' it rather than always having to show restraint and frustration as with the R8. Yet I still went ahead and ordered a Turbo S. That was until my kind dealer sent me to the PEC at Silverstone to test drive a Turbo S, where it dawned on me that I just didn't find it as enjoyable as the C2S. It just so happened that at this time, Porsche announced the GTS so I promptly swapped my order to a coupe 4 GTS PDK, with one or two options [;)]

THAT car.....has just arrived [:D]

But before we get onto that, the story on my wife Macan takes a twist. Whilst waiting for my GTS (remember the R8 went months ago) I bought an 11 year old Boxster 987 S to tide me over. It was bought privately and locally, from a lovely chap called Colin, who I understand is fellow PCGB member. His old car has seen us well over the last few months and has been an enjoyable throwback to driving a car from an era when things were more....analogue?

DSC07612_zpsxoiwwwqk.jpg

1020AB7B-55A3-4998-88D9-7AA45342C7C7_zpshmlvrpxz.jpg

The twist comes from the fact my wife drove this 987 more than I did, whilst I rocked around in her Macan. She was enjoying it more than the Macan so it begged the question on why we really 'needed' the Macan. Sure the practicality is useful, but we're still relatively young and with no kids so I can probably count on both hands how many times we needed its' practicality in a year. What she 'really' wanted was a more modern one, like the 718. Personally, I'd have preferred a 981 for the 6-pot howl but she preferred the aesthetics and updated tech in the newer model.

Thanks to the 'for sale' section on this very clubs website, I found a year old Boxster S for sale at Porsche Cambridge that had not yet been advertised on the Porsche website. It had all the kit we'd have spec'd if buying new, and was usefully cheaper than a new one (seems these 718's don't have rock solid residuals of the other models). By a stroke of luck, we took delivery of our Macan just before a significant price rise so this protected the already amazing residuals further, and we lost hardly any money on that too (there's a theme building here with Porsche residuals?). We agreed a deal to swap our Macan, which by three months old had done over 6000 miles, for the 718.

I must admit I'm not a convertible fan, and the 718 does sound a bit odd.....not bad to my ears, just odd for a Porsche if you're expecting the traditional flat-6 howl....but I reckon this looks bloody great! It drives spectacularly well too, but then the 718 does carry certain parts from 911's (brakes and front end set-up from a 911, steering from a 911 Turbo etc).

Boxster%20S%202_zpsgrweqojj.jpg

Boxster%20S_zpshsxcej11.jpg

So, we've gone through three Porsches in the last year, with minimal financial pain, before getting to the point we're at now with a 1 year old 718 Boxster and a brand new 911 GTS. I'm also lucky to have managed to sell the 987 to a friends' brother in law before even needing to advertise it, and have lost nothing on that car.

But onto the 911 GTS, my star of the show. After what seemed like an eternal 5 month wait reading the unanimously positive reviews and watching all and any video I can find, I cannot contain how excited and impressed I am with this car. Again, apologies if you've seen this on other forums as the content here is copied over, but for anyone else interested, here's some initial thoughts and pictures after 100 miles or so....

- It looks spectacular and I'm very happy with the Carmine red colour choice. Love the ride height and stance

- The interior quality and level of personalisation sets a new benchmark for me. The stitching options have come out really nice and I'm delighted with the painted air vents (with their somewhat preposterously leather covered slats!)

- Much like the C2s I tested rove and in spite of it being one of the new 3.0 Turbo's, I reckon it sounds FANTASTIC. I get why some die-hard 911 aficionados might be nonplussed about it as yes, it is a different sound. But different doesn't equate to inferior. It still retains a proper 911 howl, but it's deeper (and arguably more refined-sounding) than the old N/A.

- Power delivery is good, and it feels very fast. Even in the context of the 610bhp R8, simply because that needed revs all the time. This just goes hard at any revs, so I would argue in day to day situations on UK roads, at worst it's as fast as the R8. In my opinion, it's still obviously a turbocharged engine....some comments suggest it feels N/A but it's far too strong for that and yes, there is some momentary lag low down. But the lag is only really noticeable in the standard driving mode; it's so well managed in Sport mode that it MUST have some kind of anti-lag system working away in the background. Throttle response is good, again not 100% N/A sharp (I'd give it 98% to the R8's 100%), but you'd have to be on some kind of OCD-spectrum for it to bother you.

- It feels surreal in bends. It has PDCC and I'm conscious this feature is not liked by all but I don't like the feeling of body roll so I do rate the system. The combination of PDCC and 4WS makes it feel somewhat invincible.

- The ride is fairly solid though. Actually, it's just very hard, but at least that makes it very well controlled. It also rides very low, so much so that I'm going to need to be careful over speed bumps and even going into my drive (admittedly on an unfinished road) it just touches the ground in the middle of the car.

- I debated the value of the Burmester option in the Macan and Cayenne, mainly because it was quite a bright sounding system in those cars but in the 911 there's no such concerns; it's a good sounding system and if you do like to listen to music, it's a worthwhile upgrade.

DSC07622_zpsakdkcdtp.jpg

DSC07624_zps7cbjwezl.jpg

DSC07620_zps3qkyzdwm.jpg

DSC07618_zpsfjitxgjm.jpg

DSC07626_zpsmf6kp1ow.jpg

DSC07639_zpsm6j0tcy9.jpg

DSC07642_zpscz9qkug7.jpg

DSC07643_zpsekqt6zq7.jpg

DSC07652_zpsutulzwri.jpg

DSC07646_zpstv164suq.jpg

DSC07644_zpsfwbpnf0g.jpg

DSC07647_zps6l3wgzo0.jpg

DSC07648_zpsrdqorbat.jpg

DSC07653_zpsdiab5lhm.jpg

DSC07660_zpskma97xx6.jpg

DSC07662_zpsuxivswcb.jpg

DSC07663_zpsktfoj6nw.jpg

DSC07665_zpsv2pjhwpf.jpg

What a superb write up, thank you for sharing this with us.

I love this GTS, such a high spec car. The interior red trim with carbon looks gorgeous!

I have never been a fan of black wheels without the 10mm silver rim to break up the line between the tyre and wheel, but on this Porsche it looks stunning. Well done.

PS What happened to the front number plate?

Yeah, great write up and an awesome car can't wait for mine to arrive!
I am intrigued though how you compare the AMG GT to the GTS as I so very nearly went for the AMG GT albeit a Roadster and yet I persuaded myself to have a coupe this time?

Cool detailed write up and car history. Also echo the above about comparing the AMG GTS to the 991.2 GTS, I drive a AMG GTS regularly so it would be good to know your thoughts?

I'm also considering a V10 Plus for my next car (or a GTS like yours but in black) and surprised to hear the reliability issues. Makes sense that the 911 feels more usable, I felt the same coming from a Nissan GTR to a C63 AMG. Do you find the 911 more practical and what's the ride difference like compared tô the R8?

Many thanks in advance, enjoy!

Thanks guys, very kind comments.

Peter_Bull said:
PS What happened to the front number plate?

Errr...it dropped off???

Ha, I wonder how long that will wash.

I didn't want the plate holder drilled to the car so I had a smaller one made which I'll stick directly to the car. However, it had PPF installed before I collected it and I'm not happy with the finish so they're re-doing it - I'll put the plate on when that's done.

RussellFunnell said:
Yeah, great write up and an awesome car can't wait for mine to arrive!
I am intrigued though how you compare the AMG GT to the GTS as I so very nearly went for the AMG GT albeit a Roadster and yet I persuaded myself to have a coupe this time?

Fun-meter said:
Cool detailed write up and car history. Also echo the above about comparing the AMG GTS to the 991.2 GTS, I drive a AMG GTS regularly so it would be good to know your thoughts?

I'm also considering a V10 Plus for my next car (or a GTS like yours but in black) and surprised to hear the reliability issues. Makes sense that the 911 feels more usable, I felt the same coming from a Nissan GTR to a C63 AMG. Do you find the 911 more practical and what's the ride difference like compared tô the R8?

Many thanks in advance, enjoy!

Hopefully I can answer both of your questions but I also thought some context might help.

I'm a massive AMG fan having had two C63's, two E63's, two SLS's, and AMG GT-S, ML63 and GLE 63 Coupe. I've been to the AMG factory a number of times, and I've had two of my cars' interiors (a C63 and one of the SLS's) re-trimmed at their design studio. I therefore have quite a lot of affection and bias towards the brand.

I loved the 6.2 N/A engine and it really did 'make' every car it was installed into. Especially the SLS. I also rated the 5.5 bi-turbo as fitted to the E63 and SUV's, as whilst not a sporty engine, it suited those heavier cars perfectly.

I was relatively early with placing my order for the AMG GT-S, many months before it was launched. It was a car that I unsurprisingly added a preposterous amount of spec to. I sold my second SLS between ordering the GT-S and taking delivery (a 9 month wait) and made a pretty penny on it too, which was nice. Still wish I'd kept it though.

When the GT-S finally arrived, I was sooo excited and there were so many things I loved about it, not least the front end design, the interior, the driving position and the fact it was objectively better in every single way to the SLS (with which it shares a huge amount of architecture). But subjectively, I just didn't like it as much. Two things....

1. The steering. Perfect in the SLS. Same base system in the GT, but much, much, MUCH lighter. It's an amazingly direct rack made to feel all the more unique by the fact the front wheels are an continent away in front of you. This is all very good when the rack has some weight as in the SLS, but for me the Toal lack of weight ruined the GT. I never got used to it.

2. The 4.0 bi-turbo. I can't help but think it's too similar in the GT and C63, making a bit of a mockery of the GT's price. I know the GT's is dry sumped and C63's is not, but it 'felt' too similar. By comparison, the SLS's 6.2 felt nothing like, nor sounded like, the 6.2 in the original C63. It's kind of in-between the 6.2 and 5.5 bi-turbo, but it lost something in the compromise.

I never gelled with it and regrettably sold it after 4 months.

To replace it I bought a new R8 V10+, just after it had been launched. It was great being in a car with such a good N/A engine again. It was also crazy fast, not the most powerful but easily the quickest road car I've driven. But sadly the problems started very quickly, from less critical stuff like creaky seats to more serious things like virtual cockpit failure, flaking paint, rattling front suspension and most seriously, fuel pump issues which kept recurring (even after the pumps were replaced) with the root cause never being successfully diagnosed. As I said above, it was rejected and replaced but the second one was worse - some issues the same as the first (inc. fuel pump) and some new ones.

I was desperate to get out and had enjoyed the Porsche my wife had owned so started looking at 911's again. I previously test drove an early 991 just before I bought my second SLS, and I remember being super impressed and thinking it was actually a better car to drive than the SLS. However, the SLS had plenty of other appeal and it was by far the better financial buy so I don't regret choosing it at the time.

My local dealer sent me out in their new 991.2 S demo, and I wasn't expecting much after my experience of the AMG GT's new turbo engine. It wasn't getting super-positive reviews either. However, I was very impressed.

The car was better than I remembered dynamically - compared to the AMG GT it's just more tied down, it has better body control, it's more agile and it just gives a bigger feeling of unshakable confidence. The added 4WS and PDCC gave it a level of dynamic ability, roadholding and assurance way beyond the AMG (although AMG now offer 4WS on their GT-R so be interesting to see how that compares). But most of all, the 911's steering was PERFECT.

Then the engine, which was an aspect I expected to be very nonplussed about given I was still driving the R8 at the time. It amazed me with how good it was though. Whereas the AMG GT's 4.0 engine shared very little aural similarity with the old AMG 6.2, I feel the 911's 3.0 Turbo has retained the traditional Porsche flat-6 howl, albeit in a a slightly lower and more cultured tone than the N/A. The AMG's engine was actually very good in terms of response and lack of lag (for a Turbo), but it wasn't perfect. Again, I think the 911's engine is slightly better again....yes, there's still a slight delay and a very small trace of lag in the normal driving mode but in sport or sport+, I can't detect any of it. Id describe it as the most N/A-like turbo I've experienced.

In other areas, I think the AMG's interior is a nicer and more modern design, although they both feel equally as well constructed. The telematics in the Merc is probably slightly better, but they each have features and advantages over one another. You'd easily live with either day to day without need for compromise.

So, that's my comparison of the two cars - the AMG GT is still probably the more unique and special event but, as something to drive, the level of chassis technology helps the 911 to be objectively and subjectively better in most areas.

In terms of how the 911 compares with the R8?

Well, it's obviously not as fast outright but the R8 needed to be worked hard, something not so easy to do regularly on the public road. I would say that up to 5-6k rpm, the GTS feels no slower because it's power and torque is always on hand, the undoubted advantage of forced induction.

Dynamically, there was nothing wrong with the R8 whatsoever - indeed, it was very impressive with the exception of one thing. The suspension was catastrophically underdamped at low speeds so, when going over speed bumps for example, it would bounce uncontrollably. This led the an underling feeling that it maybe wasn't as tied down as it could be, yet this never transpired into a problem at speed. Good as it was though, an R8 definitely doesn't give the level of confidence and tied down control that you get in a 911.

Many thanks on the very detailed answers. Helps give me an idea of what to expect the drive to be like in a 991.2 GTS compared to what Ive driven and know. I'd also look at RWS and PDCC.

The engines differ slightly from the new C63 to GTS, but you can barely feel it on a back to back drive. I also agree on the steering, each model year has had more weight added. I drove a MY17 at Brooklands recently and it had more weight than our MY16 car - but still, not enough. The new C63 has it just right. I actually think it is the better car of the two; the GTS only shows it's advantages on track, where it just feels really planted and grippy. But not worth another £60k.

my concern on the R8 is just that, as you've explained. is that power usable compared the the 3.0 turbo, not really Was my thought. Thanks for affirming that for me. i love the R8 looks, but it felt too easy to drive. Lacked the feeling I think a 911 might give.

enjoy the car, really looks great.
cheers

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back