Menu toggle

981 envy, upgrade journey, flirting with a 991.2 GT3, choosing my 982 GT4

Mattfsan

I love my car, it was a dream car for a long time for me and I could never justify spending the money, but finally I did. I paid for it in full before I had even sat in a Porsche before because I was certain this was the car for me, and after a 3 hour journey to Newcastle, taking the cover off my car and seeing it in person, hearing it roar to life in all its cold start glory, it exceeded all expectations.

As time went on I've read about certain mods etc and how the particulate filters muffle the sound, then at an event I asked another member to hear his 981 GT4 because I knew it came without the particulate filters... As much as I love my car the exhaust note of the 981 GT4 is undeniable... What an amazing sounding car.

I think every 982 GT4 owner arrives at this point where they have to do a bit of soul searching... Do you try reach the holy grail of a 981 GT4 exhaust note, or do you accept it how it is. Not only that but you also have a feeling that Porsche did the GT4 dirty by keeping the engine back a bit. Whether that's true or not I can't say, but it is how I (and many other GT4 owners) feel. Having said that I'll also point out that the car is more than capable enough, and I'm well aware that we'll hit the limit of my ability long before I hit the limit for what the car is capable of. With that out of the way, this is my journey. I hope that some of the things I have discovered along the way will help some of the other 982 GT4 owners who are thinking about changing things to make their car sound and perform a little better.

Step 1 to changing the sound is looking at the components of the exhaust, you consider a backbox with less silencing, link pipes without OPF filters (for track only of course :censored:) and 200 cell high air flow cats. The majority of people will go with the backbox replacement - it's the easiest option, and if you get a valved direct replacement you can bolt it on with no issues at all - everything functions the same but you have a bit more noise - not much though.

The mental exhaust setup
I got a full system for mine. JCR headers + high airflow 200 cell cats (no OPF's) and a BCRacing backbox. Originally I put all 3 parts on the car and the sound was absolutely mental. Too mental. It's just too loud, obnoxiously loud. So loud that it made rally cars at the motorist sound like kittens. I call this the exhaust system for everyone else - because everyone will either hate it or love it (car enthusiasts will generally think it's pretty cool - a few people begged me to keep this setup). Personally I hated it. It made me feel a bit embarrassed because it didn't really give a massive leap in horsepower, but it gave a monumental leap in sound, and even though it sounded good on the outside, it sounded awful on the inside. There was so much drone that I found myself driving my car less and less, and I love my car.

The optimal setup
About a month after doing the full setup I had ordered some Akrapovic link pipes and they had arrived. My intention was to take my car in and have the original headers + backbox installed along with these new link pipes. "but Fred..." I hear you say... "why didn't you use the JCR link pipes you already had?". Excellent question my friend. The problem is the OEM headers have 800 cell cats built into them, and OPF's in the link pipes. But the JCR setup has no cats in the headers, and 200 cell cats in the link pipes. So rather than run an 800 cell cat in the OEM header + a 200 cell cat in the link pipe, I bought new link pipes. I think this is likely the best possible setup you can have to make the 982 sound better. But you will need to remap the car or get an OBD killer to remove the CEL. I personally hate plugging some nonsense into the car to clear engine lights, so I'd recommend making peace with a remap if you want to do this. However, I must confess that I never tried this setup...

The tasteful, fairly loud high performance setup
Instead of installing the brand new link pipes I had paid 2 grand for (in the workshop ready to go) I decided to install the OEM backbox first, just to see how it sounds with the JCR headers and 200 cell cats. To my surprise the car still sounds mental, it isn't quiet - but it's not obnoxious either. In fact, with the valves closed it's very tame. It still sounds very good with the valves closed, much better than stock, but completely liveable. So I took the car for a drive - absolutely no drone. This confirms all the other research that I had done on exhaust setups for the 982 GT4. I believe that nomatter what brand backbox you get, it will introduce drone. My understanding is that the OEM backbox just resonates better with the engine. It is very well designed. Now don't get me wrong, there is a reason I don't call this the optimal setup. To my ears it sounds awesome. It's loud but not obnoxious, and with the valves closed I won't annoy my neighbours BUT, and there is a but... You need to understand how the valves work on your GT4.

This is how they work:
If the valves are open, (button light on) your car will open them at idle (and if you are revving in neutral). They will then close at 1800 RMP (IIRC) and they will open again at 4000 RPM.
If the valves are closed (button light off) your car will keep them closed at idle, but they will open at 4000+ RPM.

With a stock exhaust system you don't really notice the valves opening and closing. If you know what you are listening for you will notice. But if you change the headers and link pipes (or probably any component of the system) it will exaggerate this change. So with my current setup with just the OEM backbox and the JCR headers + link pipes my car goes from sounding nice and loud until 1800 RPM, then comparatively quiet as a mouse then past 4000 RPM the valves open and suddenly the car starts screaming. Again, to my ear it sounds very good, but it is still very loud. This is why I say just doing the link pipes is probably the best most optimal setup for this car, but having the headers with the 200 cell cats along with the link pipes is definitely my favourite setup - but it's guaranteed to cause problems on track days unless you get silenced tips.... Or try something else... But I'll get to that later.

So in order of preference this is what I recommend for the best sounding 982 GT4 - and I totally get that some people will feel different.
1. Just change the link pipes, keep the OEM headers and backbox (not too loud, no drone, probably not too loud for track but untested, for track only ofcourse :sneaky:)
2. My setup - 200 cell cats + link pipes + OEM backbox (loud, no drone, trackday issues so need a silencing solution, again only for track use ofc 🥴)
3. Completely OEM (tears of pain when you hear a 981 GT4)
4. Just the backbox changed (drone)
5. Any other setup with a changed backbox (a lot of drone and extremely loud with full setup)

If you do decide to do the headers I recommend checking out and comparing the fabspeed headers with 200 cell cats. You can't really tell by video, but I only saw them after getting the JCR ones... I kinda wish I got the fabspeed ones though, from the video they sound 👌but this down to personal preference. I still think my current setup sounds very good.

Flirting with a 991.2 GT3
At this point I knew I was going to have to remap the car. The point of no return. Any sane person would ask if it's worth it, should they not just get a car with the sound and performance they want, rather than try change the car that they love? So I started looking around and found one that I was interested in. I personally wanted a 991.2, not the 992 - just personal preference. I also considered a GT4 RS but without waffling on too much (or at least more than I do already) I'll stick to the GT3 because that's what I actually considered. I found one, went to see it and took it for a test drive. The car was lovely don't get me wrong, there are many things to love about that car, but going to test drive the car I was expecting to be blown away. Based on what some people say I thought it'd be considerably better... It did feel good on the test drive, it was interesting to feel how light the steering is in comparison. I assume it's because of the different weight distribution but I'm not sure. I could also feel that the car had a lot more traction... Bigger rear tyres, more weight over the rear wheels - it's a noticeable difference, but overall it didn't feel better... Just different. It had better mid range power but didn't feel much faster. The GT4 leaves me feeling a lot more confident. More planted. There was one thing in particular that drove me nuts in the GT3. Whoever spec'd it (and sorry if I'm slagging anyone off here I don't mean to) didn't spec a leather dash.................... With all the plastic I felt like I was sitting in my Golf GTI, not one of the most prestigious and best sports cars money could buy. I looked at the spec for a new GT3, it costs about 1 grand to spec a leather dash. It should be a crime to buy a 150k + car and not spec it with a leather dash, come on! My guess is that someone got an allocation but wasn't all that fussed about keeping the car. They just wanted to send it around the track a few times and sell it for a huge profit. What a shame. When I left the dealership and climbed back into my GT4, I had a 3 hour drive home to consider my options. I had felt sick until that point, but on the drive home I knew I was in the more special car. Sure the GT3 will hold its value better, it's worth almost double what my GT4 is worth. It's currently selling for more now than it would have cost new, but to me it's not worth more. So instead of spending another 85 grand on a GT3, I decided that I'd spend a good amount of that on my GT4 instead, and bring it a little bit closer to the car that I think Porsche should have made it in the first place. I immediately felt better knowing that I was going to keep my car, up until that point I had felt awful at the prospect of giving it up.

Other upgrades
* I changed the air intake filters to BMC air filters (mainly to improve the intake sound). I didn't notice much of a difference with the mental setup, but that's possibly because the rest of the setup was so loud. Sometime I'll swap back to the paper filters and see if I can hear a difference. I do think you will get a crisper more mechanical sound though, but it's probably more noticeable in a Boxster than a Cayman.
* I got a set of Manthey Racing forged rims with a set of PS4S's (cup 2's are on the OEM rims, I wanted to enjoy the MR rims on street for a while). They look fantastic, and they are super light. 2 days after getting it all fitted I got a massive bolt through my rear right tyre so had to get myself a trolly jack and a puncture repair kit. Highly recommend the Halfords 3T low profile jack with rubber pads to go over the saddle.
* I got a stage 2 remap from Litchfield Motors. Surprisingly the car didn't make much extra power at all. 432 at the engine. Though Ninemeister reckons they can definitely get more power - according to their Facebook posts I think I saw one with a similar setup to mine pushing 460. I also don't want to do anything crazy. At the moment the car is tuned for the exhaust system, and it feels great. Better mid range power, and it's running MUCH better.
* I got the car alignment done at Litchfield as well - this is probably the single most important thing I'd recommend every GT car owner gets done. Something always felt a little off, and prior to the Porsche the best car I had ever driven in terms of handling was a 1993 BMW M5 with a few upgrades - it felt absolutely awesome. After getting my car set up properly it feels like a totally different car, so much better, mind blowing how much of a difference it has made - so yeah driving it over to Litchfield and driving it back with both the remap and alignment done, felt like I was driving home in a new car. So why'd I bring up the old M5? I don't know - fond memories of a car that just made me smile. Ofcourse the Porsche is 10x better, but just like that old M5 blew me away every time I drove it all those years ago, I got the same joy from my GT4 on the way home.
* I got a set of MR air intake grills to prevent all sorts of nonsense getting sucked into the car

What's next?
I don't fully know what's next yet, but there are a few idea's I'm toying with.
* Shorter gear ratio's from RPM Technik - not for performance, just for more joy. The long gear ratios don't let you play with the gears much on the street.
* Manthey coilovers - for now I won't get these - maybe at a later date
* Light weight flywheel - mixed feelings on this. Sounds good but I've heard a lot of people don't like the feel of the car after they get it and actually revert the change. Will give it more thought
* GT4 RS air intakes - Gold Leaf Performance does a full carbon fibre kit for these intakes. It should result in a bit of extra horsepower but it will also give you the GT4 RS intake sound which I'm not sure I want. It sounds cool, but it's a bit too bonkers. At the moment my car sounds good in my opinion, but I still have no problems holding a conversation with a passenger without shouting
* GT4 RS aero under the car - I probably will get to this at some point because it's not an intrusive upgrade but just a bit of extra handling improvement.
* Gloss black rear wing + wing mirrors + bonet - purely for aesthetics. Still thinking about this. I like the way the black doorhandles and blackened lights, it's subtle but makes the car stand out against cars that don't have that option. I'm on the ropes about getting the wing mirrors etc done. Sometimes less is more, and adding more might cheapen the look of it. Not sure.
* Remap by Ninemeister - they reckon they can get more power out of the car - but for now I think I'll leave it as is. The car feels good, it doesn't feel underpowered. Maybe I'll feel different on track.
* Silenced exhaust tips by Ninemeister - it's either these or closing the valves on track, but I don't know if closing the valves is a good idea. Would need to do some testing and use a thermal meter to check temps with the current setup.
* Cargraphic valve controller - I'm definitely getting the 3 way controller. Whether I used the fully closed option or not I'm not sure. There is a warning for engine damage but I think that's purely down to heat, but will have to think carefully and do some testing. Definitely want it for valves open though.
* Deman 4.5L engine. Not to be taken seriously. There is less than a 10% chance that I'd actually do this. It costs too much money, the logistics of getting it installed would be a nightmare, and it's just a very radical change to the car. I'd be worried to ruin something I love so much, but these are ideas I'm toying with, and even the most outrageous idea's are considered. Having something like this would be very unique, and the prospect of having a 565hp GT4 makes me slightly giddy.

That's about it. Sorry for the super long post - I actually wanted to share my journey as I went but kept putting it off. So this is where I am now. If you have any questions or thoughts about the setup I've done let me know. It took a lot of time and research to learn what I know now, so maybe I can help you avoid the same headaches. Otherwise check out the Manthey forged rims. I think they look brilliant. This was after a nice 5 hour wash last Friday, she looks beautiful :love:

IMG_3102.JPG

Last edited:
Matt Mormon from Obsessed Garage tried all different combinations on his GT4 and found the best was standard headers and back box but changing the OAPs for soul performance OAPs. He said it gave the best sound. Not too loud and not too much drone.

Interesting journey, thanks for sharing.

The issue with changing the OAPs is the remap and therefore potentially throwing away your engine warranty. Not something I wanted to do as I run the extended warranty (yes, with all mods declared), so I changed the silencer only which has given a little more sound, a little more power and a little more drone. With the valves always open (mine are stuck and I've left them that way!) the car sounds and feels great, and I think the slight drone is less intrusive. Or I've got used to it...

Nothing wrong with the LWFW by the way, it's mega and by far the best mod I've done. I don't know why anyone would change back after having one - the car's so much more responsive with it fitted.

Matt Mormon from Obsessed Garage tried all different combinations on his GT4 and found the best was standard headers and back box but changing the OAPs for soul performance OAPs. He said it gave the best sound. Not too loud and not too much drone.
Yep, 100% agree I think only changing the link pipes is the best solution and I still have the Akra link pipes fresh in their boxes. I might switch to that setup at some point.

Do you know which link pipes Matt Mormon used? I see they do 'resonated' pipes. It does make me wonder if standard headers with only the link pipes changed will introduce drone, because on my current setup after switching the backbox I have no drone. The car is louder, but no annoying frequencies to my ear (drove 3 hours down to Litchfields and back with road works so various speeds mostly in 6th gear). The biggest issue with the current setup is once you go past 4k RPM there is a noticeable increase in volume

Interesting journey, thanks for sharing.

The issue with changing the OAPs is the remap and therefore potentially throwing away your engine warranty. Not something I wanted to do as I run the extended warranty (yes, with all mods declared), so I changed the silencer only which has given a little more sound, a little more power and a little more drone. With the valves always open (mine are stuck and I've left them that way!) the car sounds and feels great, and I think the slight drone is less intrusive. Or I've got used to it...

Nothing wrong with the LWFW by the way, it's mega and by far the best mod I've done. I don't know why anyone would change back after having one - the car's so much more responsive with it fitted.
That's understandable re. warranty and one of the main reasons I looked at the GT3 as well before throwing whats left of my warranty away with remapping etc. I'd probs still consider changing the backbox even if I wasn't prepared to let the warranty go. Which backbox did you get?

Re. the flywheel - really? Where'd you get yours done / how much did it cost? I see there are a few places that do it...

I've got a Ninemeister rear silencer (which I think they've discontinued in favour of OAPs) and their flywheel. A lot of places that are supplying the flywheel are supplying the 9m part I believe, but they don't tell you that. On a 718 you can retain the original clutch, as I did as my car as only on 2k miles at the time, but if it's quite worn it's worth putting a fresh one in at the same time while the car is in bits.

Good to know, thanks (y)

9m isn't too far from me so will prob get it done there, how long did they take to install it?

Only have 3000ish miles on my car so I'd hope the clutch is ok! I tell you what though, the autohold on these cars is a nuisance. Does yours not let you go for a good second or so either? My Golf GTi lets me go the moment I balance the clutch and throttle, but the GT4 forces me to slip the clutch much longer than I otherwise would before it lets me drive off. The first time it happened I stalled the car 3 times and looked like a right bonehead to whoever was behind me but it was because the car wouldn't let me go :LOL:

Love this write up and the modding experience! This should go into the modding section of the magazine.

I had a Dundon and GT3 RS exhaust on my 981 for a couple of years. The drone was unbearable between 2.5 and 3k rpm (just drive around it said Dundon who had not mentioned it when selling it to me) and when I damaged the back box (I caught my turn down tips (installed to make the set up less offensive) and bent the ti box) it all came off and I installed cargraphic headers and OEM box. = No drone and pure joy on a 981 ! It now has an Akra rear exhaust (thanks to a friend converting his car back to standard) which is a little louder with valves open but again drone free and lovely when cruising. I suspect the Akra 718 box is similarly drone free but a lot of money new!

I have the RPM re-gear - the 9m lightweight flywheel and I did not get on - so am back to OEM but the re-gear is just excellent. Measurably quicker 0-60mph. I have also installed a Deman Limited slip diff. You do get a little more diff noise from the re-gear and LSD but it's part of the GT car experience. I did not do a longer 6th and find that cruising at 75mph is fine at c.3.5k rpm. The new max speed is faster than I've ever done down Kemmel to make the re-geared 6th irrelevant. If you're ever down in London and want to try the car and box do give me a shout. I expect to be selling my 981 (which also has full MR wing, shocks, grilles) later this year when my new car arrives.

Interesting you didn't get on with the LWFW - what was it you didn't like?

I love mine, which may be personal preference, but possibly they suit the 718 4.0 engine better?

The noise and problems with clutch engagement.

My clutch - which had become enormously lighter to press - stuck down regularly. ninemeister said it was slave cylinder (it wasn't, I had it changed) and did nothing else to resolve - it's a long way from London to Warrington. Another specialist removed it and said that the Sachs cover plate and clutch unit was faulty - Rick Deman no longer uses Sachs either. Lots of others have been positive, maybe its a 981/718 thing or a one off on Sachs. OEM works flawlessly ! ninemeister do a lot of good for Porsche modders and did a great tune on my car but their LWFW isn't something I'd encourage anyone to do as I could not get a measurable improvement in 0-60 times on my draggy (that was my objective). But as they seem to say on Rennlist YMMV !

Interesting stuff! I'm not techie enough to know the details of the difference, but the 981 and 718 are different in that the OEM clutch can be retained with the LWFW on the 718 but not the 981.

I'll remember when the time comes to put an OEM clutch in my car again as it's been faultless, and several people have noted how my car will pull away from them out of slower corners on track. So at least on the 718 it seems to make a measurable difference.

I guess MMDV!

@snowy999
Glad you enjoyed the post and thanks for sharing! Happy if people find it interesting or useful. I'm surprised to hear people change exhausts on the 981's at all, it's such an epic sounding car. Sounds like you've found your optimal setup though

I did notice the Akra backbox for the 718's has bigger silencers but honestly I've gained so much respect for how well designed the OEM one is that I doubt I'd test it at this point. If anyone has a 718 with just the Akra backbox at R7 club events I'd be keen to hear it

I share your frustration with exhaust manufacturers not being up front about drone etc. They obviously know it's there. I've gained a lot of respect for 9m who told me they don't make the 718 backbox's anymore for that very reason. What surprises me even more are the JCR claims about HP increases without needing to remap the car - especially for the 718 with OPF's - I'd go so far as to argue that it's false advertising, because the moment you unplug sensors to remove OPF's etc I reckon the car loses HP. You have to drive for 100+ miles for the car to recalibrate and in my experience it just didn't run well at all even after recalibration. Even after about 300 miles mine didn't idle right, it felt sluggish, and the revs would bob up and down at cruising speeds on the motorway. I'd be less comfortable buying a car that ran long-term with headers and link pipes without a remap than I would be if the car was remapped to run properly with the exhaust setup

Don't tell me you didn't get on with the flywheel 🙈 following the feedback on flywheels in the forum here I've decided to book mine in and have it done. Driving over to 9m on the 3rd of July. I will keep the OEM clutch and see how I feel about it - luckily Warrington is only an hour away from me. Also going to remove the JCR headers & link pipes and install the OEM headers + Akra link pipes + get the stage 2 redone for the new setup. I'm hoping this will get me on track without any issues. After that I'll do Porsche experience in July and Donington in August. I reckon I will miss the headers though for sure

Otherwise will also be getting the sound symposer disabled and I believe 9m can do the valve changes when remapping as well so no need for a valve controller which I'm happy about

I'm still very tempted to get the gear ratio's done - thank you for sharing your experience. Anyone I've seen or spoken to who has had them done says it's one of the best mods they've done to the car. I'm just not keen on sending it down on a trailer to stay there for a week - did you get yours done at RPMTechnik as well? I'm precious about leaving the car anywhere, even for servicing I drive the car there and don't leave until I can drive it back. Usually end up chatting to the guys in the workshop while they work on it! Can't tell if it drives them up the wall, or if they like to yap as much as I do 😄

What new car are you getting?

Def needs to go to RPM for re-gear. ChrisW (Yorkshire based) got someone else to instal and although mechanically perfect the autoblip function did not work. RPM's install works perfectly for me and autoblip works too. But its a gearbox out, strip instal, set and reinstal box job so three or so days. RPM's place is awesome, on a secure site. On my LWFW experience don't let it stop you. ninemeister has done a lot of good work on many cars (in particular an amazing 500hp 718 2.5 GTS competing in hill climbs with me); I was just disappointed that they didn't fetch the car and fix it but the lesson really is use a local expert in future.

I have a 4RS coming. It is the only car I would have changed my car for and I got lucky and got a slot to build from new.

Ah that's awesome, congrats on the RS allocation. I've got my heart set on sticking to my car but I would have been tempted if I could build a GT4 RS in my own spec. Please upload some pics when you get it

Yeah I like what I've read about RPM's setup for the gar ratio's. I want to get at least 1 track day in with the current setup, after that I'll do a little soul searching and decide whether to change them or not. I suspect on track it won't bother me so much, but outside of performance and on the road I really want to play with the car a little more but as we all know that's very hard to do when you're already going so fast coming out of 2nd

I tested my car before and after the upgrade using a Dragy on the same piece of road. Only to 60mph.

Car empty but fully fuelled in each case. Similar temperature and atm pressure.

Before the CWP conversion:

0-60 4.47s
0-60 (1ft) 4.23s (this is how Car and Driver does 0-60 apparently - sorry you probably already know).

After:

0-60 4.15
0-60 (1ft) 3.87

So the lower gearing works as expected - if you get a clean launch.

In terms of my hill climb starts I record a PB at Loton of c.2s for 64ft (which is 1g acceleration including launch) which is about 0.2s quicker than before.

So def works !!

Snowy

So...

Following feedback on here I decided to get the LWFW installed - thoughts on it:
The good
* I kept the OEM clutch so that still feels the same, gear shifts actually feel much smoother though.
* With the original flywheel it felt like I either had to shift fast, or pause before shifting to not unsettle the car. With the LWFW it doesn't matter, it almost always feels very smooth. I guess this makes sense since there's less mass to it to the correct speed.
* Better throttle response and the car feels faster (though with the exhaust changes it's hard to judge properly)

The bad
I've heard that cars have a more mechanical sound when idling after installing a LWFW, I don't notice that at all, BUT, between 2000-2500 RPM there is a slightly annoying mechanical sound. It's not a deal breaker, but it does mean I need to cruise under 2k RPM or gear down if I don't want to hear it.

Exhaust Changes
I removed the JCR headers + link pipes with 200 cell cats installed the OEM headers with Akra link pipes. I still think this is the best overall setup if you are willing to remap the car, and it still sounds cool... BUT.... I really miss those headers. To the point that I'll probably put them back on and take my chances with the 9M silenced tips for track days. I doubt it will silence them enough but one day when I get to test it I will offer some feedback.

The main thing I've noticed is that up to 4k RPM the car sounds very similar, just a bit quieter, but past 4k RPM the car sounds a bit monotone. Bearing in mind that I didn't have valves open between 1800-4k RPM before, and that I'm still getting used to it, but the headers gave the car an F1 car sound when you got up in the revs - which to borrow from another member, brought out my inner 12 year old, so much fun 😄

In terms of performance the car felt faster with the old setup including the original flywheel. Changing the headers definitely negated some of the performance improvements - particularly at higher rev ranges.

Sound Symposer Disabled
I like this change. It never bothered me with the stock exhaust setup, but once you modify the exhausts it just sounded a bit stupid to me. 9M disabled it when remapping but it's easy enough to plug the pipe if you don't want to remap the car.

Valves open all the time
With the current setup I pmuch always drive with them open - sounds good to me. No drone worth caring about in my opinion and I'm generally easily annoyed by those sort of sounds.

What's next?
I've made up my mind and plan to send the car over to RPM Technik to put the JCR headers + cats back on + shorten the gear ratios + remap the car (again). When I chose my car over a GT3 I made peace with spending a bit of dosh on mine to get it exactly how I want it, so this is part of that. There has been some costly trial and error but I hope that my experiments and ramblings here help the next person!

The annoying this is that for exhaust valve tweaks RPM installs a valve controller and 9M changes it in the mappings. I prefer having the remap because I'm remapping the car anyway, why would I care to have a dongle? I'd rather just have the default closed valve behaviour because they still open after 4k RPM anyway so what's the point.

Does anyone know of a good car transport service? I absolutely loathe the thought of leaving the car somewhere without me, let alone sticking it on a trailer down to London for a week! I've thought of driving to RPM and taking transport back as well, but it's a 3.5 hour drive followed by 6 hours of trains for a whopping 9.5 hours either way. Also thought about booking an air bnb but I don't fancy twiddling my thumbs on the outskirts of London for a week!

PS. 9M is bringing out a lovely set of forged rims that look a bit similar to the MR rims I got - I got to see them in person. I think they are even lighter, something like 10 kilo's for the rears (I believe mine are 11 but would need to check). They can do any colour you want and get this, they cost 2 grand for the set. Wish I had known that before splashing out 10k for mine, but it's all a part of making the car look more unique so 🤷‍♂️. Apparently they can also do a set of coilovers that they reckon will be on par with MR coilovers (I forget the brand name though) but I'm guessing cheaper - especially since the MR stuff is going way up in price. Whether it's true or not I don't know but thought I'd mention it in case anyone is interested.
PPS. I'm guessing most people here are insured by Lockton. If you aren't, and you haven't spoken to them already, they gave me a brilliant deal. Wish I had gone with them sooner.

You can disable the Sound Symposer by simply not pressing the exhaust button. If you have a separate valve controller, or use the clamps trick on the OEM silencer to keep the valves open all the time, then you're all good. No need to re-map or plug pipes.

The 9m wheels look good and the price is incredible, too good? There has to be a catch though, surely. They sound too cheap! The front wheel is slightly wider than stock I see so you may need to run different front tyres to OEM.

For the coilovers, 9m work with TracTive suspension so it could be them they've been working with.

ninemeister will probably put Nitrons on. Good brand and tested in competition with great success on their super powerful GTS500 conversion.

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back