Menu toggle

986 to 987 ?

Grant

How many have made the move from 986 - 987 (particularly those with an S) & what has the real world difference been between old and new. I remember swapping from 996 to 996 facelift & although I loved it , things turned out a little "samey" for all the extra dosh!
Interested in owners impressions...

[8D] 986-987 Now you're talking. Rather than me give you the sales pitch go test drive the 987 as soon as and then you will know exactly why Porsche claimed it was almost a new car even if it strongly resembled the original [;)]

But to give you some pointers its goes like this for a 987"S" :-

Improved interior comfort and space, fit finish and quality of materials used all improved.
New sports seats very comfortable and new dash layout and switches have a better quality look and feel to them.

Sound track vastly improved car now sounds like a Porsche always should have done from day one.

Engine seems to have far more torque in any gear at any time than the extra 28bhp would have suggested. On paper its not massively quicker but on the road it really does feel substantially beefed up.

Gear change, clutch and steering all improved too.

This is my 5th Boxster since 1997 and without doubt the best to date [;)]

35F995F5B8FF4D6EBC0085715DF73C9C.jpg

Grant

I doubt that you'll get a subjective view from an owner.

As a non owner I don't rate the interior at all (sorry Robert) - the dash belongs in a Japanese motor home not a Porsche! I thought it was a wind up when the first spy shots were published.

But as you asked for owners views I'll wind my neck in.

JCB..

I agree with Robert - don't let the similarity in looks fool you. Going from a 986 to a 987 is nothing like the same as the 996 pre to post facelift move. The car is completely different in look, feel and character. Admittedly I went from a 2.7 986 to a 987 S but you can tell the improvements in every area, and even now, 6 months later, I'm totally smitten.

For me the 987 is much taughter, rides more firmly and handles even more precisely. The pedals and gearbox are even more precisely weighted and to me the feel of the steering is amazing despite the electronic power assistance getting a bit of stick in the press. The key difference though, is that engine! Again, as a previous 2.7 owner, the comparison may not be that fair, but in the 987 the acceleration is extraordinary, and it makes a gorgeous noise at full chat.

It's not all perfect though - I feel that although the design of the interior is much better in the 987, some of it feels more cheaply made (witness the plastic rather than aluminium interior door handles, awful standard stereo head unit compared to the old Becker units....) although some bits are so much better (like the column stalks and dash switches.

Overall though, it is no comparison. I can't see why you'd spend another ÂŁ25k on a 997 S for any reason - if you need rear seats, get a used Beemer M5 as well with the money you save!!

F59B37B2EFE94084BC199983E1EF7CB8.jpg

ORIGINAL: JCB..

Grant

JCB..

John who is better qualified to comment then [&o]? If the differences weren't that great I would have no problems saying so what so ever [:-] Any of the many test reports out there would also make that point crystal clear especially the Clarksons of this world who have little time for the Porsche product but thankfully plenty of time for the Boxster though [;)]

OK rant over ... and John none taken either :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

E4092A040FE94B31A45ECA8071977E1E.jpg
JAP INTERIOR DIGI

While I'm sure the 987 is a huge improvement on the 986 in many repects I've got to say that I'm not swayed to trade my 986 in. In particular I don't like the new exhaust note at all, I think the 986 sounds subtle in general until you give it some oomph and then it sounds fantastic, but the 987 exhaust is a bit OTT at low revs and I just don't like the note at around-town speeds. I also agree with others that the interior is too bland and I don't like most of the exterior touches, I think the 986 has cleaner styling.
It would cost me 10grand to trade up and I really don't think I'd get 10grand's worth of satisfaction out of it, especially when the 986 is a stonking car anyway.

ORIGINAL: Grant

How many have made the move from 986 - 987 (particularly those with an S) & what has the real world difference been between old and new. I remember swapping from 996 to 996 facelift & although I loved it , things turned out a little "samey" for all the extra dosh!
Interested in owners impressions...

We currently have a 2002 Boxster S (986) and a 2005 Boxster S (987). The new car has taken all of the Boxster elements and improved on them. The interior of the 986 now looks quite dated and is smaller. I am 6ft 4in tall and can now drive the new car for long distances without discomfort. The 987 feels more planted on the road and even Louise notices the difference, that says a lot! When I put the car back in the garage tonight I couldn't resist giving it some revs just to hear the exhaust note..sad I know.

The 986 S is still a great car but things have moved on and Porsche have produced a car that keeps it ahead of the competition. If you own a 986 only go for a test drive in a 987 if you can afford to change...you'll want one. It's the same with the 996 & 997 I've driven both and the 987S is an amazing machine.

The biggest criticism I have is more to do with the integrated phone system where you have to keep putting your sim card into the holder every time you use the car or, as we've done, buy a pay-as-you-go sum card and have to add another phone number to the list. Why, when so many other manufacturers have Blue Tooth systems which avoid the problem.

[FONT=tms rmn"][:D] I will rest my case here and the following says it all really[FONT=verdana,geneva"]
[FONT=tms rmn"][FONT=verdana,geneva"]
[FONT=tms rmn"]INTRODUCTION

After its introduction in 1996, the Boxster helped a struggling Porsche back on the long road to recovery with over 160,000 units sold to date. Now, with the launch of the second generation Boxster, the company is booming. Since 1996, its share price has increased a huge 858 percent (not a typo, by the way). And for the first time, Porsche has recorded a pre-tax profit in excess of one billion Euros.

So why should you care unless you happen to be a stock holder? Well, under its breath Porsche admits that with its vastly improved financial position, it has spent a very great deal more money developing this second-generation Boxster than it did on the first. So even though a quick glance might convince you that nothing much has changed, there isn't a single body panel carried over from the old car. Not even the windscreen is the same, and overall, 80 percent of the parts and components that make up a Boxster are new.

The idea was to 'butch up' the styling by swelling the wings, which are larger to accommodate a wider track. The nose has been restyled, too, with individual units for the headlights and larger, more aggressive air intakes. Also, the doors lose their concave surface, opting instead for a more filled-out, muscular look. [FONT=verdana,geneva"]
[FONT=tms rmn"][FONT=verdana,geneva"]
[FONT=tms rmn"]Even the sideglass has been elongated to improve visibility out with the roof up.

This approach is meant to mirror what the company has achieved over 40 years with the 911. That is to say, a timeless design that has been updated in the gentlest, evolutionary fashion. So we better get used to the way this Boxster looks, as Porsche reckons it is as timeless as the 911. It will be with us for a very long time.

The engines - a 240bhp 2.7 and 280bhp 3.2 for the 'S' - gain more power and low-rev torque response, too. The basic Boxster costs ÂŁ32,320 and the 'S' ÂŁ38,720. [FONT=verdana,geneva"] [FONT=tms rmn"]
[FONT=verdana,geneva"][FONT=tms rmn"]
Although a great deal of the Boxster's componentry is new, the heart of the beast are those proven flat-six engines, developed now to the point where reliability and durability shouldn't be a concern. And 4Car's own owners' reports indicate no serious problems with the Boxster. The new car is also more rigid than before, and that should mean fewer rattles and creaks over a long life.
The interior of the new car feels higher quality, too, with soft touch surfaces and less complicated, more geometric panel joins. [FONT=verdana,geneva"] [FONT=tms rmn"]
Arguably, the Boxster has the most publicly acceptable image of the Porsche range. The Cayenne has attracted criticism from Porsche-philes for being an off-roader and not a sportscar, and opprobrium from the rest of the world for being a profligate 4x4. And the 911, while being quite a wonderful thing, is still regarded as a bit in-your-face.
The Boxster suffers from none of this, and benefits hugely from that badge. [FONT=verdana,geneva"] [FONT=tms rmn"]
With a more rigid structure that allows the suspension to do its best work, combined with a wider track, the Boxster is even more accomplished on the road.

The chassis balance is beautifully neutral, so that fast cornering feels secure and predictable - you never get the feeling that either the front or rear of the car will let go. And then there are the tremendous levels of grip left in reserve - the entry-level Boxster gains bigger wheels, up to 17 inches from 16. And in the interests of driver involvement, Porsche has raised the intervention level of its Porsche Stability Management (PSM) system. This means that the driver can slide the car around more, or set it up for a corner with the brakes, without the PSM laying a heavy hand on the car's dynamic behaviour.

The Boxster S is also available with Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM), which offers a very sporting suspension setting that lowers the car 10mm and stiffens things up for serious track day outings. 'Normal' mode allows you to survive regular road journeys with fillings intact.

For the first time, the Boxster is offered with variable-rate rack and pinion power steering. The variable function means that at a constant straight-line cruise, the steering is less immediately direct, eliminating the 'sneeze factor'. When you press on over a twisting road with big steering inputs, the system becomes more direct for a high degree of steering precision. It works brilliantly and is so subtle than most drivers will never be aware of it. [FONT=verdana,geneva"] [FONT=tms rmn"]
This is a bit of a dilemma for Porsche - if it created a very powerful Boxster, the end result might be fewer 911 sales for the Stuttgart firm. Performance from the standard 240bhp Boxster is stronger than before, though, with 0-62mph in 6.2secs, which is half a second faster. The Boxster S shaves a couple of tenths off, too, with 0-62mph in 5.5secs. Top speeds are 159 and 166mph, respectively. But the most significant change here is with revisions to the engine intake manifolds that improve torque response - subjectively, the Boxster feels a good deal quicker because you need fewer downshifts to access the performance.

And while the standard car is available with a five-speed manual, we'd highly recommend going for the optional six-speed box, with its lovely, mechanically precise, short-throw action. You can also specify your Boxster with a Tiptronic automatic with sequential shift buttons mounted on the steering wheel. It is a clumsy, slow reacting device that does a dis-service to these marvellous engines. Get one only if you're more interested in the pose than the drive.

It's worth noting that Porsche's optional Sports Chrono Package offers, along with a silly looking chronometer sitting on top of the dash, a program that gives more aggressive throttle response and a more abrupt rev limit cut-out. For those times when you're coming over all Schumacher. [FONT=verdana,geneva"] [FONT=tms rmn"]
Porsche offers a whole raft of active intervention measures to sort you out if you find yourself driving beyond your personal limits, which isn't difficult to do in a Porsche. These include standard-fit Porsche Stability Management, which incorporates a range of brake and throttle interventions in the event of an imminent loss of control. The new Boxster has a stronger structure, too, which should perform better in a crash. The roll-over bars are also stronger, and because they've been raised while the occupants sit lower, they are an extra two inches higher.

The Boxster comes standard with six airbags. But along with the usual front and side items, Porsche is claiming a world first for roadsters with its head airbags. Basically, these behave like normal curtain airbags that would usually deploy from the car's roof structure, protecting occupant's heads from impact with the sideglass in a side-on impact, but they emerge from the tops of the window sills in the roadster Boxster. [FONT=verdana,geneva"] [FONT=tms rmn"]
Porsche has declared that it views the Boxster as being a 'timeless' design much the way the 911 is. This means that owners won't get any nasty surprises in the way of dramatic facelifts and changes to the fundamental look of the car. And this in turn will do marvellous things for the Boxster's residual value, which is much more of a concern for a car at this price level. In fact, the Boxster is currently outperforming the already impressive 911 in this respect, so new owners can expect outstanding residuals.
Porsche also claims to have reduced ownership costs by increasing oil change intervals and using other consumables such as air filters with much longer service lives. For company car drivers, though, the Boxster occupies the top CO2 band, with 248g/km. [FONT=verdana,geneva"] [FONT=tms rmn"]
The Boxster is just slightly more expensive than the outgoing model, but both models gain a higher level of standard equipment. The entry-level car, for example, gains 17-inch wheels instead of 16-inchers as standard. Head protection airbags are also standard fit as are a CD player and Porsche Stability Management. Air conditioning is also standard fit, although it will come as a shock to many that Porsche had been charging extra for it on a car at this level in the marketplace.

The cabin is a very comfortable place to spend time, with greater seat travel and a more adjustable steering wheel. The sideglass has been extended further rearwards, which gives better outward vision and easier entry and exit. And the roof itself has gained another layer of insulation for a quieter cruise. A touch we particularly like is the fact that the Boxster's roof can be lowered at speeds up to 30mph, so no more embarrassing stop-light moments.

The spare tyre has been replaced by a sealant kit and compressor, which has freed up an extra 20 litres of space in the front boot, and with a rear boot that's surprisingly spacious, the Boxster is more practical than you'd imagine. Inside, beefier and more supportive seats sit lower in the car for a more enveloping feel. And now that the steering wheel is rake as well as reach adjustable, even the very tall will find an ideal driving position[FONT=verdana,geneva"]

I have a 2.7 (as you can see from my avatar) but I have driven a 987S recently. I agree that the 987 is a much taughter and better car to drive. My only criticism is that the dash on the 987 was very plasticy.

However I still love my 986 and have no immediate plans to change.

My wife has a 987S, after five years with a 986S, and three years with a 2.5 before that.

Yes, it is a significant step forward and, in almost every area, a better car. We're delighted.

However, a really good, late, 986S at c.ÂŁ25k is by far the better value - in much the same way that a late 996 for c.ÂŁ40k is much better value than a ÂŁ70k 997. Oh, and I really like the 986/996 interiors.

Porsche residuals are not what they were, so if ordering a new car to your own precise specification is not a priority, it might be worth seeking out a nearly new example. A private purchase of a high spec. 987S could net you a ÂŁ7-8k saving, maybe more.

987= PSM/PASM/SIM PHONE/SPORT CHRONO/ FANCY TRIM/LOUD EXHAUST/ but no spare wheel. What do you expect for ÂŁ32k - ÂŁ38k these days !

ORIGINAL: daro911
[FONT=tms rmn"]
Arguably, the Boxster has the most publicly acceptable image of the Porsche range. The Cayenne has attracted criticism from Porsche-philes for being an off-roader and not a sportscar, and opprobrium from the rest of the world for being a profligate 4x4. And the 911, while being quite a wonderful thing, is still regarded as a bit in-your-face.
The Boxster suffers from none of this, and benefits hugely from that badge. [FONT=verdana,geneva"] [FONT=tms rmn"]
[FONT=verdana,geneva"]

Robert, where is the article from?
The writer must be a huge Boxster fan or probably work for the Boxster design department. How come he/she doesn't know that Boxster has had the tag "you don't know whether it is coming or going"?

ORIGINAL: THX911

Robert, where is the article from?

Kish its from these guys http://www.channel4.com/4car/road-tests/P/porsche/boxster05-/boxster05-.html
But even Top Gear has given it similar praise and like I said originally I am yet to see a bad test report even from non Porsche loving journo's [;)]

Sorry Robert, I should have be clearly: I thought the article was very good, it is just the Boxster image statement is questionable; I absolutely love the shape of the Boxster but I have had the, is it coming/going gag stated to me a number of time but I have never come across anyone who felt the 911 was a bit in-your-face... So my point being that the car is superb but it seems like this guy is just going slightly OTT.

I find these posts most interesting. Although I have had my 2.7 986 for about 20 months and love the car, I am intrigued by a new 987S.

I have had a long look at the new Boxster in various showrooms and will probably book a test drive in a 987S soon. I have noted the plasticky door handles and the horrible grey/silver side vents but, IMO, these are minor details which can and would be resolved by OEM replacements and re-painting by the OPC respectively.

I think that the new Boxster is evolution rather than revolution and that a purchaser should view it in that light. Quite what the MY 2006/7 versions will bring is another thing altogether since the Boxster is not likely to be allowed by Porsche AG or PGB to evolve into a direct competitor for the Cayman.

Of course the other 'exciting' aspect is the new extras available... but that issue has been covered elsewhere recently.

ORIGINAL: juliany27

Quite what the MY 2006/7 versions will bring is another thing altogether since the Boxster is not likely to be allowed by Porsche AG or PGB to evolve into a direct competitor for the Cayman.

My money says [;)] MY07 (Oct 2006) Boxsters will become 3.4 and Boxster will become 3.0

Where that will leave Porsche refs the EXTRAordinary premium being charged for the Caymen is yet to be seen[&o]

ORIGINAL: JCB..

Grant

JCB..

John who is better qualified to comment then [&o]? If the differences weren't that great I would have no problems saying so what so ever [:-] Any of the many test reports out there would also make that point crystal clear especially the Clarksons of this world who have little time for the Porsche product but thankfully plenty of time for the Boxster though [;)]

OK rant over ... and John none taken either :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I know it's a bit of a conundrum Robert. But if someone wants an un-biased opinion you really need an un-baised ajudicator. Your obviously as passionate about your car as I am about mine.

I don't think anyone is disputing the technical advances of the 987. What does get overlooked is comparing like with like. 030 has effectively been replaced by PASM, I know there are more electronic gizmo's as well but if you talking about a 987 with such then it needs to be compared with a 986 with 030 and a proper suspension alignment. The difference between a 986 with such a set up and one without is quite dramatic.

For me the differences, apart from the hideous interior, are not that great. Even the 60BHP gap between my MY002.7 and the 987S was not that great (My opinion based on my car). However apart from the increase in performance none of the enhancements Porsche made to the 986 when creating the 987 have pushed my button.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the input, much appreciated, keep them coming.
I honestly think the Boxster S is the best value Pork in the range.
The other half has an 01S & on a sunny day with the roof down it is hard to beat, We have had it for around four years now and she still loves it, but the new 987 does look nice, this is why I was asking. You all know the problem, she worries enough about leaving the current car any where, so the thought of a pristine new unmarked 987 is potentially a bigger liability, so wanted to know if the benefits out weigh the "extra worry"!!!
With regards to the interior, presumably the new model is the same as the 986, in that it needs to have the full leather option to look good?
Gary: Blimey two Boxsters & a GT3, you have got the Pork bug!
Oliver: Good point about looking at a second hand 987, there does seem to be some around now, depreciation is one of my pet hates!!
Keep your thoughts coming please.

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back