Menu toggle

My 2019 718 Cayman GTS PDK

Hello,

Thanks for the replies.

I'm quite happy with 4 cylinders, I passed my test in a 2cv.

My daily drive is a Mitsubishi Outlander phev which works for me, and I follow all the EV news with interest.

Have you seen any of the Taycan tests on youtube? Amazing and with fast charging. Images released tomorrow I think.

Regarding touring, I'd be interested to know your views on touring without a spare wheel. It doesn't feel quite right to me.

I've got a puncture mending kit and would have a go if I had to, to get mobile again.

I bought a space saver for my old Spider as the alloy sort of fitted in the boot.

Has anyone got any experience of 'Autoseal' the prevention liquid? I've heard some bikers swear by it.

Brian?

I first heard of it from a thread on the Porsche forum.

James.

James,

I carry a Silverline tyre repair kit with me at all times in both my cars. A few years ago following the Angelsey track day, my Cayman R picked up a nail in the centre of the tread on one of my Michelin Cup 2 front tyres. Following the instructions supplied with the kit, the nail was carefully removed and replaced with a glued plug. The tyre was re-inflated to its normal pressure, and got me safely home to the Highlands, a journey of more than 500 miles.

I have never used tyre sealing compounds of any description, so I cannot comment on their effectiveness. A Silverline kit is the puncture repair solution of choice for me.

The online "big river company" is where I bought my Silverline tyre repair kits.

Brian

Brian

That’s great thank you. I feel a lot more confident now I know someone who has used one. My kit is not Silverline but has all the same tools. Just ordered some extra cement!

I already have the correct jack and tools in the vehicle. James.

In a couple of weeks I'll be off for a car tour in the north of England including, Cheshire, Derbyshire, North Yorkshire, and the Borders. As already mentioned in an earlier post, I have my GTS booked-in at OPC Chester for an engine oil and filter change and also a brake pad check. The latter is just a precautionary check following the roasting the PCCB brakes took at the two Knockhill track days last month. For my own interest, I am having a sample of my used engine oil analysed at the Oil Lab afterwards. As this is an interim oil service following the first 7,000 miles of road and track driving from new, I shall be interested to see if the oil analysis results show any appreciable fuel dilution or particle contamination. The Porsche recommend interval for an oil and filter change is 20,000 miles/2 years. It is my choice to have the interim oil change done at 7K miles mainly due to my car completing 3 track days from new in January 2019. Track days incur higher demands from the engine oil due to the higher temperatures, high revs, and extended periods at 100% throttle.

I be shall reporting back in due course on my oil and brake check service at OPC Chester, together with the Oil Lab results once received. I shall also be calling in at the PCGB Oulton Park track day on September 20th as a spectator. It's an ideal opportunity to meet up with the track day crowd and enjoy the paddock banter.

Meantime, I am hoping the weather behaves for my tour of north England and the Borders. I am very much looking forward to visiting the many historic points of interest along the way, and some photos to post of my travels.

Brian

Hi Brian

I am hoping to be at Oulton tomorrow, (just spectating) I will look out for you, and look forward to catching up and having a chat. You might actually get to see my car this time!

Cheers

Peter

Some of you may have heard the sayings, "The sun always shines on the righteous", or "The Devil is always good to his own". Whichever of these are applicable, I certainly chose the right week to embark upon my car tour to Cheshire, Derbyshire, North Yorkshire, and the Borders. My 7 day tour of around 1100 miles in total, proved a resounding success in every respect, with glorious, warm sunny weather for most of the trip. As always I had a definitive plan. Each of the four locations had a particular purpose. This was not a random selection of destinations. I had done my homework and research planning in my usual thorough style.

Dealing with each destination in chronological order the programme was as follows;

First stop was Cheshire, for my appointment at OPC Chester for an oil and filter change and a brake pad inspection, followed by my attendance at the PCGB track day at Oulton Park as a spectator and observer. I had packed my safety helmet with the intention of cadging a few passenger laps with known and trusted drivers.

Second, the Derbyshire Dales and a visit to the Chatsworth House Arts Festival.

Third, a tour of the North Yorkshire Dales including a visit to the Brimham Rocks.

Fifth, the Borders near Berwick including a visit to the new Jim Clark Museum at Duns.

To avoid boring readers with an overly long post, I shall deal with each destination individually in separate posts as in the order listed above.

Oil and Filter Service and Brake Pad Check at OPC Chester.

When making the original service booking I had already requested a number of "special requests". Namely, that I wished to have a sample of the used engine oil taken for analysis by the Oil Lab using the sample bottle provided for this purpose. It had already been agreed that I supplied my own Mobil 1 0W-40 engine oil in two 5lt packs, with any unused oil returned to me afterwards. I also requested access to the workshop while my car was on the ramp to take photos of the rear underside while the engine under-tray was removed for the oil change. At the same time, I also requested a visual check with the technician, including photos of the front brake pads with the road wheel removed. To their great credit, the service reception and technical staff at Chester accommodated all of my requests without question.

The engine oil sample was taken from the filter bowl access point rather than the sump. This was ideal in my opinion. In the case of 718 F4 turbo engine, the oil filter change is quite tricky due to the fact that any oil spillages can pool onto the cylinder block casting and cause problems later. A specific process is required on the part of the technician to avoid this happening. I was invited into the workshop following the oil filter removal to retrieve the sample bottle and take my agreed photos. The oil filter is not a sealed cartridge type, it's a separate paper element contained within a removable filter bowl. I was surprised to observe that some of the filter parts are plastic. That explains why in some cases over-tightening of the filter bowl on reassembly can cause cracking of the bowl or filter housing. Such is progress.

Moving on the the front brake pad inspection, it was mutually decided to do only a close visual inspection of the pads without actually removing the brake calliper. With the road wheel removed, the rotors were seen to be in perfect condition having now recovered from the roasting they got at the two Knockhill track days on consecutive weekends. Surprisingly the front pads were 40% worn at 7mm thickness remaining after 7000 miles and only three track days. New PCCB front brake pads are 11mm thick. So much for the view that PCCB brake pads are more durable than normal iron brakes. During the two Knockhill track days I did approximately 50 - 60 high speed laps. Each lap of around one minute duration had a high speed stop from 120mph to 35 mph for the hairpin bend. Such extremes of braking effort is far beyond anything experienced on the public road in normal use. The subsequent quote for replacement PCCB front pads, including Porsche Club discount, was £542 including VAT. In addition to this sum, a fitting kit and 2 hours labour had to be added bringing the likely total for replacement front PCCB pads close to £1000.

As I have no further track day activities planned, I decided to leave the pads in place until the 2year service in 15 months time. A similar inspection of the rear brake pads showed 10mm of pad material still remaining. The lesson I learnt from all this is quite clear. If you are doing several track days per year with your PCCB brakes, be aware that the pad material on the front brakes wears pretty fast if you require successive high speed stops on the circuits you attend. For normal road use, PCCB brake pads should easily outlast the iron brake equivalent. I chose PCCB on this particular car not only for superior stopping performance, but more importantly for improved handling and steering feel on the hilly Highland roads derived from the lighter unsprung weight at each corner compared to the standard iron brakes.

Following the completion of my service the invoice total was £242 including VAT. No charge was applied for the brake pad inspection. Tyre tread depth was also checked with 6mm tread left on the front, and 5mm on the rears. No uneven or adverse wear was evident on either axle. My own individual geometry settings are working perfectly.

My car was returned on schedule washed and vacuumed, and with tyre dressing applied. I also had one pack of Mobil 1 returned with around 3 litres of oil remaining.The oil level after the service was at the maximum mark. All in all, a first class service from OPC Chester.

A few photos follow taken at the service with descriptive captions as appropriate.

Brian

The underside of the 718 GTS with the engine under-tray removed.

Note the two large diameter exhaust headers from each bank serving the larger GTS turbo on the left.

The single 4-way catalyser incorporating the Gasoline Particulate Filter is immediately to the right of the turbo. The GPF is the only catalyser I could see on the entire exhaust system. The two rear mufflers are much smaller on GPF equipped cars due to the additional silencing effect. The exhaust pipework is also of a larger diameter compared to my previous non-GPF equipped 718 Cayman S.

Brian

A close-up of the remaining front pad material (7mm), following 7000 miles and 3 track days. I shall be replacing the front pads in 15 months or when 4 to 5mm of pad material is remaining, which ever is the sooner.

Brian

Hi Brian

Great to read about your trip and all the details from your service.

My recent visit to Scotland was excellent. Great driving and the car was just fantastic.

I’ll try to attach a couple of photos. It wasn’t all an economy run!

Out of interest I’m down at the Porsche experience at Silverstone tomorrow. I’ve never done anything like that before so am looking forward to it.

James. [attachment=5C5B619C-3B0D-4384.113-15CDABD286BB.jpeg]

James,

Good you had an enjoyable trip to Scotland.

Your fuel economy stats are very different from mine. I have never, ever, seen anything approaching 40mpg on either of my 718's. I guess it's all down to driving preferences. I use manual shifting and Sport mode most of the time, except on boring motorways.

My mpg and average speed stats are shown below for the journey from Berwick to home near Inverness via the A68 and the A939 Snow Road.

Continuing the report on my tour, next up follows the PCGB track day at Oulton Park on September 20th. What an exceptional day it turned out to be!

Brian

Hi guys

Re consumption figures: At best I managed 42.1 mpg with my 718CS (PDK) on one mornings drive of many (touring from Italy back through Germany (etc) to Calais. Typically, I was averaging late 30's whilst on tour; a few moments of 'fun' but mostly taking in the scenery of some loverly routes. I regularly drive from Portsmouth to Silverstone (200 miles return) and easily get 37+ (via M27, M3, A34, M40) including a few pushes.

regards

DiZz

PCGB Track Day Oulton Park September 20th.

This was the first event I had attended since giving up driving track driving last month. It was with a tinge of apprehension that I approached the paddock filled with the usual selection of Porsches old and new awaiting the green light to commence the open pit lane sessions. The weather was good, with warm sunshine and a light breeze. My feelings of apprehension were quickly dispelled by the warm welcome received from track day drivers well known to me from previous events. I had taken the decision to pack my safety helmet with the purpose of signing on as a passenger and cadging a lift for a few hot laps with trusted drivers. As it turned out, this was absolutely the right decision.

Upon approaching the pit lane I was greeted with the unexpected sight of a 982 Cayman GT4 Clubsport race car, brought here for a few shake down laps by Porsche GB Motorsport. The driver was none other than the current Carrera Cup GB championship leader Dan Harper. As I am an avid follower of the Carrera Cup races on ITV4, this was an ideal opportunity for me to chat to a professional driver at the sharp end of motorsport competition. Northern Ireland's Dan Harper is only 19 years old and graduated from the 100bhp Ginetta Junior class straight into the 485bhp Carrera Cup GT3 race cars. He is in his second and final year with the Porsche Motorsport Scholarship and is more than justifying his place by leading the overall championship by 44 points. I had a very interesting chat with Dan on his Carrera Cup experiences and also on his impressions of the Cayman GT4 Clubsport. According to Dan, the GT4 Clubsport is the better balanced car and can carry more speed into and through the corners than the GT3 Cup. The GT3 Cup car is of course the faster car overall, but on technical tracks such as Oulton Park and Knockhill, there is not a lot separating the two cars according to lap times. Dan is looking forward to competing in the new GT4 Clubsport championship next year, and the purpose of the shakedown test was to acclimatise himself with the car in preparation for the 2020 race season. It was a pleasure to speak to Dan. My following of the Carrera Cup championship made for easy conversation and he is a very grounded and unassuming guy to speak to. Dan is an amazingly skilled driver for his young years and will certainly be a man to watch in the GT4 Clubsport Championship.

I was lucky enough to gain access to passenger laps in three very different cars. Each of the drivers were already well known to me, Steve Brookes's stock GT4, Chris Whittle's much modified GT4, and last but not least, Kevin Asbridge's remarkable, pristine, 964 LHD Carrera Cup road legal race car from the early 1990's. As it turned out the latter machine proved to be the highlight of my day. Kevin has now retired his Cayman R from track days and only recently purchased the 964 Cup car. It is beautifully prepared, with a stripped out interior, full roll cage, 4-point harness, and lightweight carbon bucket seats. The engine is the ubiquitous air-cooled 3.6 mated to a G50 5 speed gearbox with an uprated ratio 1st and 2nd gears. Tyres are Toyo R888 road legal track day rubber, a brand already familiar to me from my erstwhile competitive motorsport events in my Cayman R. Once strapped into the passengers seat on the right hand side, Kevin fired up the glorious air-cooled flat-6, bursting into life with the accompanying mechanical cacophony only air-cooled Porsches can provide. Out on the track the car rides firmly but not jarringly so, and it became abundantly clear following the warm up laps, that the 964's handling was absolutely amazing for a car approaching 30 years old. The short wheelbase and wide track provided the car with astonishing agility through the two Oulton Park chicanes. It changed direction with a planted, pointy, front end that would shame many far younger 911 derivatives. Kevin's 964 Cup car reminded me of my racing Mason Stiletto Imp from the 1980's. The rear engine and transaxle layout is identical in both cars with a short wheelbase and wide, all-four-square track. My Mason Stiletto race ready and with me onboard, weighed the scales at 495 kilos, with the 998cc engine producing 130bhp on 140Ron Avgas. I would guess the power to weight ratio between the two cars would be very similar. The laps with Kevin were an absolute joy to behold. He is a very capable and experienced track driver and is clearly relishing getting to grips with his new steed. Through the faster corners the pendulum effect of the rear engine layout is clearly felt, but not in a scary way. The suspension is so well tuned that the oversteer attitude is gradual and deliciously progressive. In time and with further practice, Kevin will have this car lapping at a very respectable pace, with the delightful bonus of camera happy oversteer progress through the fast corners. It is quite simply a peach of a car. I am very envious, and hope to return to Oulton Park next year for a second helping of Kevin's 964 Cup racer.

Next up was Steve Brookes's yellow Cayman GT4. I have previously enjoyed passenger laps with Steve in his GT4 before, and on this occasion the track conditions at Oulton Park were the best either of us had ever experienced. Steve is also a very accomplished and experienced track day driver with a style very similar to my own. Fast, smooth progress, with good pace through the corners on this very demanding and technical track. Lapping at high speed in the GT4 immediately following my laps in the 964, illustrated in no uncertain terms the massive progress made in Porsche automotive development over a period of 30 years. The GT4 is an immensely capable track day car, with high levels of lateral grip combined with more than adequate power and torque. The long gearing of the 981 GT4 is not apparent at Oulton Park, with the intermediate gears seeming about right for the many varied corner combinations. Steve was clearly enjoying his drive in the GT4, and was really on it during the lap session. It was a pleasure as always to be piloted around Oulton by someone of Steve's abilities.

As it turned out, I had the very interesting opportunity to follow my laps in a stock GT4 with subsequent laps in Chris Whittle's modified GT4. Although I had previously been a passenger in Chris's GT4 at Knockhill recently, this is the first time I have been able to compare both a stock GT4 and a modified example back to back. Unlike at Knockhill, Chris had fitted the proper Cup 2 tyres for Oulton Park and the weather conditions were perfect for this comparison. The modifications on this GT4 are by any standards comprehensive. The suspension is modified by Manthey, with lowered springs and 3-way adjustable dampers. This provides a prodigious range of negative camber adjustments front and rear. The stock PCCB discs have been replaced by larger diameter after market examples which run much cooler than standard during heavy braking conditions. The 3.8 engine has been ECU re-mapped, with a replacement throttle body and plenum, combined with a revised exhaust system. The result is an increase in power to 430bhp with torque improvements to match. On the track the modifications become immediately apparent compared to the stock GT4. The extra power is clearly demonstrated on the uphill pull exiting Britten's Chicane. The car also rides lower, firmer, and displays astonishing front end grip. The engine note is quieter in the cabin, smoother at high revs, and is surprising refined at cruising speeds, as demonstrated on the slowing down laps. For a driver of Chris's experience and ability, this is the ideal car for his purpose. Until a PDK version of the new 982 GT4 is launched, this particular GT4 is the better track car. I thoroughly enjoyed my laps in this extraordinary machine, which brought my Oulton Park experience to a close for 2019.

Honestly, I never thought I would have such a fun time at a track day without driving myself. During my time at Oulton Park, I was very grateful to the many friends who made a point of meeting me for a chat on both general car and track day topics. The social scene is very much a part of PCGB track days, and I shall look forward to attending a few more track day events in 2020.

I shall post a few photos following my amazingly enjoyable day at Oulton Park.

Brian

Photo. Cayman GT4 Clubsport

Dan Harper, Carrera Cup GB Championship leader. Watch Dan in action this weekend on Sunday September 29th on ITV4 at Silverstone.

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back