Menu toggle

My new 982 718 Cayman S PDK

Thanks Ralph.

The Nikon DSLR is packed, and I'm looking forward to an interesting, informative, and rewarding experience hopefully.

I have a meeting arranged with FVD Brombacher in Freiburg, following on after my Porsche factory tour. I shall be very interested in finding out the opinions of those at the sharp end of Porsche development, regarding what the future holds for the next (last?) incarnation of the petrol powered Cayman.

I should have plenty to report on when I get back.

Brian

Re the ferry. It is also best dining in the best restaurant on board as it is not much more expensive but light years better than the buffet. No queues and quite civilised.

BJ Innes said:
Back to the chase, regarding the cable and power source, I ran the cable behind the passengers sun visor, anchoring it with cable ties to suitable points, pressed it into the groove at the top of the A pillar trim, then concealed the cable behind the soft rubber door aperture seal all the way down to the sill threshold. I prised off the forward edge of the plastic trim inboard of the sill and threaded the cable underneath as far as the leading edge of the passengers seat runners. The plastic sill trim snapped back into place ok. It was then just a matter of coiling the remaining excess cable, securing with a cable tie, and hiding it down the right hand side of the passengers seat. I'm a non-smoker, but I deliberately specced my car with the Smoker's Pack because it includes a handy lighter socket. The NextBase 512 GW comes with a cigar lighter plug as its power source. As the cigar lighter socket is live all the time, the red led light on the plug confirms this, I always unplug the camera socket when leaving the car.

Brian

Thanks Brian. I thought the 12v supply was cut off after 30 minutes. That's what it says in the manual although it's not clear if that's all of the 12v supplies. I also spec'd the smokers pack to tidy up the centre console. I have a flat USB adaptor plugged in which sits flush with the top but have never used it.

Hi All,

I'm back home in the Highlands after a fascinating, thrilling, informative, and very interesting 14 day tour of Netherlands, Germany, and due to a sat nav detour, Belgium. I can honestly say I had an absolutely wonderful time. Any misgivings I may have had about taking on this ambitious itinerary on my own was quickly dispelled following my disembarkation from the DFDS Newcastle - IJmuinden ferry. This tour was far more than just a holiday. It was both an adventure and experience that will remain with me always. The brilliant weather helped enormously. It was warm and sunny throughout with temperatures in the mid 20's centigrade almost every day. My 718 CS provided comfortable, effortless, and faultless transportation on both the autobahns and the winding rural roads of the Black Forest and Mosel valleys. The total mileage covered from my home near Inverness was 1780 miles at an average fuel consumption of 29.3 mpg. I chose my refuelling stops carefully and used Shell V-Power Racing 100 octane, or Aral Ultimate 102 octane for the whole trip. Prices varied around 1.65 - 1.80 Euros per litre.

To avoid boring you senseless, the report on my experiences of the tour are best split into bite-sized pieces. So, on this post I will deal with the ferry voyage, and the first 3 days of my itinerary via the A3 autobahn to Frankfurt.

I had never before taken my Porsche aboard a ferry so you will understand my apprehension on several aspects of the 15+ hour voyage. Being a relatively new car, my 718 is fitted with the Porsche VTS active tracker. I already have the Porsche Connect App installed on my phone, and thought all I had to do before boarding the ferry was to set the tracker on transportation mode for the duration of the crossing via the App. Wrong! It transpires that the transportation mode facility on the App has a maximum duration of 9 hours 59 minutes. As this fell somewhat short of the 15-16 hours duration of the ferry crossing, I had to call the VTS centre to notify the fact that my car was about to be transported on a ferry. This was straightforward and only took about 5 mins to arrange. My next job before boarding was to configure the PCM to set the driving lights to Inverted for right hand driving, and the speed/distance units to kph. All absolutely fine. Following the advice of friends who are regular Euro tourers with their Merc 63 SL, I had requested lift access on board the ferry. This provided extra space between the vehicles on the deck, which not only prevented my car from being mugged by bulky SUV's and 4X4's throwing their car doors open, but it also made it easier for me to get out and in by allowing the doors to open fully. The boarding process was straightforward and uneventful. I was told to switch on my hazard warning lights so the deck crew knew that I needed extra space. I cannot praise the DFDS boarding crew highly enough. They were meticulous with guiding my car onto the ramps to avoid the danger of grounding. My 718 has the 20mm lowered Sports PASM, and being packed with heavy luggage, ground clearance at the front was pretty low. All went smoothly and without any scrapes from underneath. The cabin on my outward voyage was the Sea View Double which is the grade below the top Commodore Class. I decided to try both options, and booked the Sea View cabin outward, and the Commodore cabin for the return. Similarly, I had the buffet dining reservation for the outward voyage, and the A la carte dining for the return. I can honestly say that the extra cost of the Commodore cabin and a la carte dining, is well worth the extra expense. The Sea View double cabin was tiny, with a porthole window and a WC/shower cubicle no larger than a small wardrobe. I still have the bruises on my arms elbows from hitting the walls while showering. The floor was also swimming with water. The Commodore cabin by contrast is spacious, with 3 windows, a seating area, free WiFi throughout the ship, and breakfast included. DFDS run an efficient ship, kept spotlessly clean, and with helpful and courteous staff and crew. I would use this ferry service again without hesitation. Just don't scrimp on the cabin!

My first day driving on the right after disembarkation at IJmuinden was entirely drama free. A Shell V-Power station is conveniently located on the first roundabout I came to. The sat nav worked faultlessly, and provided clear graphics in plenty of time for the many road junctions, roundabouts and autoroute intersections. The 300 mile journey to my first stopover with friends near Frankfurt was uneventful apart from the inevitable road works on the A3 autobahn. This caused massive tailbacks of traffic and delayed my journey time considerably. However, behind every cloud etc, once clear of traffic the opportunity to stretch the legs of my 718 CS on the derestricted zones enabled me to make up some time. I used both the auto and manual modes of the PDK in Sport, and Sport Plus modes just to see how the systems performed with sustained, variable high speeds. Those of you who follow my scribblings already know of my track driving experience. Consequently, I am no stranger to high speeds and know precisely how my car behaves on the brakes when they are applied at 3 figure velocities. With track day driving, speeds of over 100 mph are only held for short periods before lifting the throttle and braking for the next corner. Derestricted autobahn driving is different. This involves sustained high speeds, often attained over distances of 20km and more. Tyre pressures, oil and water temperatures all need watching, as well as keeping an eagle eye on the traffic ahead and behind. You are pretty busy and focused during these high speed sections. I found using the manual shifting best. Although the auto shifting mapping was ok if you were just cruising along at a steady pace, for me it did not provide the smoothness of progress when overtaking slower traffic. At anything over a steady 80mph, in Sport mode, the auto shifted into 7th gear. Fair enough you may think. But this caused unpleasant surging and downshifting when the throttle was squeezed to overtake slower traffic. In manual mode, I made the gear choices, not the ECU mapping. I would downshift from 7th to 6th or 5th, after a spell cruising at say, 120mph, when approaching slower traffic. The subsequent acceleration back up to cruising speed was smooth and of my choice. Sometimes I would hold the revs through the intermediate gears to 6500 or 7000 just to blow the cobwebs away and let the flat-4 sing its baritone tune. The auto shift won't do this to my preferences. Sport Plus is also not ideal as the intermediate gears are held to the redline which is not always appropriate for the public road, even when on derestricted autobahns.

Whilst staying with my friends near Frankfurt, they kindly assisted me with obtaining the Umwelt Vignette from the local TUV centre. This was straightforward after producing my V5c form and paying the 5 Euro fee. The green vignette sticker is vehicle specific with the registration number, and affixed to the windscreen on the passengers side and is valid for the whole of Germany.

My next stopover after leaving Frankfurt was Ludwigsburg near Stuttgart. This was a very pleasant place to visit. Beautiful parks, Schloss palaces, and historic town centre plazas made for a very enjoyable stay. The principal purpose for choosing Ludwigsburg was its close proximity to the Porsche Museum and my forthcoming factory tour, which turned out to be a fascinating experience.

To be continued......

Brian

Glad to hear you're back having enjoyed the trip. Ferries have improved somewhat from the older very tight space ones although Plymouth-Santander can still be awful, we were stuck in a vault-like space with little air for 45 minutes waiting to disembark. Must remember the lift access preference.

Welcome back Brian glad you enjoyed the trip I did a 3 week tour in my 981s last year and throughly enjoyed it, thanks for the info on the ferry as now we live in Scotland that's probably how we will go next time having used the channel tunnel last time.

I also used v power throughout although I was anal enough to check the locations nearest my night stops before going unnecessary really but just me as I don't like to use anything else if I can help it.

I look forward to the other installments

BJ Innes said:
Back to the chase, regarding the cable and power source, I ran the cable behind the passengers sun visor, anchoring it with cable ties to suitable points, pressed it into the groove at the top of the A pillar trim, then concealed the cable behind the soft rubber door aperture seal all the way down to the sill threshold. I prised off the forward edge of the plastic trim inboard of the sill and threaded the cable underneath as far as the leading edge of the passengers seat runners. The plastic sill trim snapped back into place ok. It was then just a matter of coiling the remaining excess cable, securing with a cable tie, and hiding it down the right hand side of the passengers seat. I'm a non-smoker, but I deliberately specced my car with the Smoker's Pack because it includes a handy lighter socket. The NextBase 512 GW comes with a cigar lighter plug as its power source. As the cigar lighter socket is live all the time, the red led light on the plug confirms this, I always unplug the camera socket when leaving the car.

Brian

Hi Brian

Good to here your safely back home after your road trip.

My non smoking pack 982 has a 12v outlet in the passenger foot well, this powers off approx. 15 mins after locking the car. Do cars with the smoking pack also have the foot well socket?

Ludwigsburg and Porsche Museum and Factory Tour

The 116 mile drive south from Frankfurt to Ludwigsburg on the A5-E35 was quite busy with fairly high traffic density and of course the inevitable road works. Germany is currently undergoing major infrastructure and civil building works, and not only on the intercity routes. Every town and city I visited had both street and building renovations ongoing. The resulting diversions in the towns and cities created havoc with the sat nav directions, and the normally comforting female voice directing me with soothing instructions suddenly became ever more frantic with urgent requests to "make a U-turn if possible!". It took me back to the time when my dear late wife used to navigate me on our tours.......only without the expletives.

Ludwigsburg is ideally placed for a visit to the Porsche Museum and factory, being only a short distance north of Stuttgart. My hotel in Ludwigsburg was only 4 miles from the Porsche Platz, and being near the centre provided an excellent base for exploring the beautiful parks and palaces of this delightful town.

My factory tour (in English) was scheduled for 13.45, and after parking my car in the underground car park, I had time for a quick lunch in the excellent cafe before reporting at the tour desk 15 minutes before the start time. No phones or cameras are allowed in the factory. This is strictly observed and enforced. Lockers are provided for depositing your phone, bags etc, and I was given a sticker to affix to my clothing indicating which marshalling point I should report to for the tour. Each marshalling point, and I counted three in the foyer, had the names of Porsche models, Carrera, Boxster, and Cayman. About 14 people of various ages assembled at my Boxster marshalling post, and right on time the young female guide appeared with a box containing a radio receiver and earpiece from which we could clearly hear commentary via her hand held microphone. The guide's English was perfect and delivered briskly and confidently. She explained that we had to remain close together and not go wandering away on our own, as the factory is a working environment with health and safety being a prime concern. After a short walk to the factory gate from the museum foyer, the total numbers of our group were checked into the security gatehouse. As we were waiting at the gatehouse, factory workers were streaming out of the factory building at the end of their shift. It was interesting to observe the workers, mainly men, of all ages, shapes, and sizes, who actually build our cars. Before our group entered the factory, the guide had to call in on her radio to receive security clearance on which parts of the factory we were permitted to see. It was explained that this varies from day to day and sometimes even from hour to hour. Thankfully clearance was given for the tour to commence. First stop was to point out the impressive new building just finishing construction, where the electric cars are to be assembled. This is a massive building which dwarfs all the others on the site. We saw the original Porsche factory building, a brick-built unassuming block, where the first Porsches were built 70 years ago. We also observed a fleet of new Porsches, 911's, GT3's, Boxters and Caymans, bedecked in white protective film awaiting transportation to their respective destinations. A few were being driven out of the factory production line and parked as we waited. All the cars I saw were left hand drive and of various colours. Miami Blue and Speed Yellow were the standout colours in the parking lot on my visit.

Once inside the factory, first stop was the upholstery department where the leather hides are inspected and prepared for cutting on an amazing laser trimming bed. Most of the employees in the upholstery section were women. The guide explained that the Porsche factory employ about only 8% women in the production process, rising to 13% for the Porsche Plaza facility as whole. Our next stop was upstairs at the engine store. Now this is where my attention spiked. We didn't actually see the engine store, only the remote controlled carts which shuttled to and fro carrying engines down to the production line. On display in this area are three fully assembled Porsche engines. A GT3, a Carrera turbo, and 981 Boxster. The group then moved to a viewing gallery above the engine assembly line where part assembled cylinder blocks were being prepared. This was fascinating. I counted the ratio of 4 cylinder to 6 cylinder engines to be 40% to 60% in favour of the flat-six. I watched the camshafts being placed on the cylinder heads and timed, all done by hand. The cam followers first being fitted after a squirt of oil, then the cams, a jig was then fitted to time the cams and fit the duplex timing chain. The engine production process I observed was a mix of hand built and robot built. The guide explained that the delicate jobs of fitting the crankshaft, pistons, con rods, cams, etc were all done by hand, the robots took over when bolting down the sumps, cam covers and the like. I noted only one female worker on the engine production line I saw. The guide also explained that after filling the sump with oil, all engines are turned over cold for the first time by an electric drive unit. This is to check all reciprocating parts and oil pumps are working properly. Interestingly, Porsche GT engines are all given a hot run, other "cooking" engines are only randomly selected for a hot run test. Maybe that explains why some Porsches of the same make and model are faster than others. We did not see the ancillaries or turbos being fitted. The engine production floor is huge and many parts of it are out of view of the casual tour observer. It was also interesting to see both 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder engines being assembled side by side. They are of a very similar bulk. Only by counting the number of exhaust and inlet ports was I able to distinguish between the two. The tour guide explained that the new emission regulations WLTP, have caused major headaches for the production process. The huge amount of testing that has had to be done has delayed both development and production during 2018. As you would expect, I couldn't resist asking the tour guide about the new engines for the forthcoming GT4. This is where the charmingly affable female guide put on her stonewall face. Lips were clenched in a straight line, eyes a blank stare. "Is the new GT4 to be a flat-6 or a flat 4, a normally aspirated or a turbo I asked?" "No comment" was her response. "At least say when it is being launched, I asked in a pleading tone". "Soon" was the reply. Ever emboldened I asked a final question, "Have Porsche been testing the flat-6 and flat-4 turbo engines back to back in the Boxster and Cayman?". A nod was all I got. I'm none the wiser really, but at least I asked the questions.

The tour concluded with a visit to the body shell trimming production line. This is where the cars get the dashboard consoles and glass fitted. The cars I saw being assembled were a mix of 911 GT3 RS's, Boxsters and Caymans. All were left hand drive. All Porsche sports car model types are assembled on the same line here at Zuffenhausen. Even the Carrera Cup cars are on the same line as a humble Boxster. Parts are delivered by remote trolly in a "just-in-time" manner, and I saw a windscreen being fitted to a Boxster. I got the impression we were being shown a somewhat contrived production line with no new models on view. For example I did not see the engines and transmission units being fitted. The trimmed body shells were directed onto a lift to be taken down to the next floor for the power units to be fitted. That section is almost always out of bounds for visitors. The guide explained that she has been authorised to take only one group to the power unit fitting production line, and that was in 2017. It's a very closed shop the Porsche factory, is my distinct impression. This is understandable. Spies from competitors could pose as tourists and glean commercial advantage if Porsche threw open its doors to every part of the production process. I was very impressed with the chance to see the factory at first hand. The 2 hour was a fascinating insight into how our cars are built.

I finished my day by having a quick look round the museum. A comprehensive selection of Porsche racing machinery past and present was on display, plus of course the new Taycan electric car. A very interesting day at the home of Porsche in Stuttgart. The museum entry and factory tour cost a total of 7 Euros including the PCGB discount. Good value indeed.

My next stop on my tour was Baiersbronn in the Black Forest.

To be continued.....

Brian

Edward_Lancs said:
BJ Innes said:

Brian

Hi Brian

My non smoking pack 982 has a 12v outlet in the passenger foot well, this powers off approx. 15 mins after locking the car. Do cars with the smoking pack also have the foot well socket?
Edward_Lancs said:
BJ Innes said:

Brian

Hi Brian

I cannot believe that Porsche have placed a 12v socket in the passenger footwell! It looks prone to knocking to me, however I could be wrong. My 981 has a socket in the arm rest cubby and the passenger glove compartment along with USB ports.

I would have thought that a live connection/socket could be fitted into an out of the way place. Have you tried asking an auto electrician how they would connect or site an extra discreet outlet socket?

Ray

Brian, your write-ups are amazing in their thoroughness. Having been to the factory 3 times, when reading those I can even smell it again. Fantastic!

All the best.

Thanks for your kind comments Brian J.

The best is yet to come........Watch this thread.

Edward,

My 718 CS does not have a power socket in the passenger footwell.

Brian

Great reports on your trip so far Brian, looking forward to the next one!

As a note, I was at Porsche Swindon today and they had virtually no new cars in the showroom (only 1 boxster, 1 911 & 2 cayenne) for which I'm sure the WLTP situation is to blame...

Thanks Brian,

Good to read ... when I visited the Museum on a 964RS road trip I missed out on the factory tour ... but will have the pics somewhere of all our cars parked in front of the museum.

Regarding the vignette ... I visited the Nurburgring Classic a few weeks ago and never thought that I may need any permission or "sticker" to use the German roads ... can you clarify this ?

I am not a habitual rule breaker :) ... though who knows what Brexit may bring ?

Chris,

Before leaving for my tour, I consulted with my German friends regarding the Umwelt emissions windscreen sticker compliance. The windscreen sticker is not required for travel on German autobahns or rural roads. Only in towns and cities throughout Germany are the emissions zones active. Up to now the transport authorities and police have "turned a blind eye" to recent model foreign vehicles entering the towns and cities emission designated zones. The main target being older vehicles, particularly diesels. The fine for such vehicles entering the restricted emissions zones without a sticker is 40 Euros. Many owners of such vehicles take the chance, and if caught pay the 40 Euro fine. The Umwelt sticker initiative is regarded by some in Germany as more of a political gesture, rather than an effective deterrent to "dirty" vehicles.

As I am also not a habitual law breaker, and always respect the laws of the country I am a guest in, I decided to comply with the regulations and obtain the appropriate sticker for my car. My German friends kindly offered to arrange this for me, and we drove to one of the TUV centres nearby to purchase the Umwelt sticker. The details from my DVLA V5c form were entered into the TUV database and the fee of 5 Euros paid. The entire process took less than 10 minutes. The sticker is car specific with the registration number, and is applied to the inside of the windscreen, in my case on the passengers side. The sticker for my car is a green category 4, it shows the region where it was issued and is valid for the whole of Germany for as long as you are the owner of that vehicle. You can also obtain the Uwelt sticker online from a number of sources, this process takes around 5 to 7 days.

One thing regarding this process came to my mind during the tour. My car was now registered within the German transport system database. Supposing I were to be caught committing a traffic offence, such as speeding, entering bus lanes, jumping traffic lights, illegal parking etc, both the transport authorities and the police know where I live.

As I said earlier, I am generally a law abiding driver, but this process certainly focused my mind on complying with the local traffic laws. On several occasions I saw the BMW 5 Series police patrol cars stopping speeding drivers on the 80, 100, and 120 kph zones on the autobahns.

Brian

Brian,

There are more rules and regulations than you can wag a stick at. It's an absolute minefield driving be that in England or abroad. I wouldn't have know anything about these inner city stickers, come to that I haven't a clue where the London rip off congestion charge operates.

Ray

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back