Menu toggle

My new Gen 2 2020 Macan Turbo

You are welcome ,Brian -I have spent the odd hour here & there with my large scale map book ,released my wife's IPad from her online retail therapy grasp and followed your drives on the maps.
Seems to me that PCGB with all it's resources could find someone to sponsor the production of your drives complete with a dedicated map in downloadable format & anyone else's for that matter ( maybe with Porsche associations) as I am sure a lot of members would like them .

Colin

Thank you Colin and Geoff,

I'm very humbled by the forum interest in the drives around my local area. They all provide driving fun, places of historic interest, combined with the bonus of scenic beauty in this beautiful part of north Scotland. Most are not on the main tourist trail, although some use sections of the more popular feeder roads to access the interesting locations. The main criteria for maximum enjoyment of these routes is timing. During the summer months of May, June, July, August, and including the first half of September, the roads in this part of Scotland are choc-a-bloc with cars, motorbikes, camper vans, and motorhomes. This has been especially noticeable during this coronavirus lockdown year. The prevalence of touring cyclists has also been noticeably higher this year. North Scotland is a popular destination.

Regarding posting the drive routes, I have got to admit that my digital composition skills are decidedly limited, and I would have difficulty composing route maps marked with the various POI's in a form compatible with the PCGB online posting parameters. Should the PCGB online moderators consider any of my driving routes worthy of publication to a wider audience, I would be pleased to assist.

Brian

Brian,

I’m sure that someone on the administrative staff would be to assist, or alternatively you could always approach one of the Members who has already submitted a route for inclusion on the webpage. I’m sure that they would be more than happy to help.

Jeff

I can plot your routes, POI and stopovers on Google maps if you wish and save them as a link, which combined with descriptive powers could be be submitted to HQ for potential publication.

Brian, I believe you have my email address if you wish to follow this through. BTW I have a Zoom meeting with Mike, our Macan Register RS, tomorrow evening and would be happy to mention this to him too if you wish. [;)]

Regards,

Clive

Clive,
Thank you for your support regarding my driving routes. I am happy for you to mention this to Mike and the PCGB HQ if you think this idea could fly.

All of my drives posted on the Macan forum section this year have been day trips easily doable from the inner Moray Firth area or Inverness. There are also interesting drives in west Aberdeenshire which is easily accessible from the south via the Old Military Road, or Snow Road as it is called in the winter season.

The important thing to remember is that north Scotland is primarily an agricultural region, and at times of seasonal farming activity the roads are busy with agricultural related vehicles, in addition to commercial, service, and tourist traffic. As I said it's all about timing to gain the maximum enjoyment. Those members living in rural areas elsewhere in the UK will already be aware of the peak agricultural seasons.

Brian

Looking at your first post and the text of the tour you describe there, I have produced the route (as far as I can ascertain) on Google Maps here https://goo.gl/maps/ZtomVN4w558CMpic9

This is an example of how your routes may be displayed and combined with the text descriptions plus your on-route photographs.

Regards,

Clive

Clive,
The route example shown is ideal. It gives the viewer an impression of the area and mileage involved. The inclusion of photos taken along the route would also be a useful addition, and would provide a useful insight to the general terrain along the way.

I don't have your email address, so if you can PM me the details I shall provide you with a few taster routes from my recent trips in the Macan. There is no obligation to publish any of them.

I had better mention, some of my routes involve very narrow single track roads with passing places, and are not suitable for a convoy of vehicles. For this reason few of my routes have featured on official PCGB R2 drive days as organised by the local joint RO's. I'm not a fan of convoys generally, and prefer to do my day trip tours either on my own, or with only one other vehicle. It's important to remember most of the passing places on single track roads will only accommodate a maximum of two average sized cars. A convoy of Porsches would create major problems on some of my routes.

Brian

The Macan Turbo is settling-in pretty well now that both car and owner are getting used to one another. It's a turn-key car, being a supremely comfortable and capable SUV for the sporting driver. I'm still missing the Cayman's precision handling and tactile connection with the road. However, all things must pass as the saying goes.

The PSCB brakes are not an option I would pay extra for. They are a standard fitment on the Turbo, and whilst looking good behind the 21" wheels, my opinion of their braking performance following my Knockhill session left me decidedly underwhelmed. Smoking callipers and a soft pedal following three medium speed laps in the wet was not what I was expecting from these brakes after all the publicity hype. My advice is, if you have any intention of taking to the track with your Macan, specify the full ceramic option. I have previous experience of hot laps with the PCCB on my 718 Cayman GTS. They are absolutely faultless. On the Macan, apart from the minor advantages of 80% less brake dust with the PSCB, I'd be happy to stick with the standard iron brakes. They are also less expensive to service than PSCB.

I'm still awaiting the Driver's Handbook wallet with warranty and service booklets. Thats over 3 months now since the handover. Being a hands-on owner I am missing the service references, particularly as I am about to fit the winter wheels soon. Meantime I'm grateful for the Good to Know app, but it's no substitute for the driver's handbook.

Brian

Hi Brian,

My sister & brother-in-law own a house near Lochailort and on a trip up there a few years ago (in a 997S), I took the advantage of sampling the Old Military Road from Blairgowrie through to nr Balmoral, Glenshee & Tomintoul and then onto A9, mainly because of this YouTube EVO video from Henry Catchpole:

https://youtu.be/xkAT82-R0S8

I haven’t cross checked it against any of your routes but recognise that the Military Road features quite prominently elsewhere on ‘Great Roads’ type write-ups, so would presume you are very familiar with it.

Admittedly, I was on my own on the day and therefore did not run the risk of encountering issues with convoys but enjoyed it immensely, although as you can imagine just getting to Blairgowrie from Lochailort took a little while, not helped by there being a pretty major diversion that day on the A86 (I think), which was a real pain on the way back to Fort William!

I would therefore be interested in understanding how Catchpole’s suggested journey rates alongside some of your other favourite routes nearby.

Please keep sharing your experiences - like others I find them very informative and there certainly help whet my appetite for another trip to the Highlands, whenever that is permissible again by both Johnson and Sturgeon.

Keith

Brian_Innes said:
Meantime I'm grateful for the Good to Know app, but it's no substitute for the driver's handbook.

Brian

And in the meantime I’m grateful to know about the Good to Know app. I’d not heard of it before you mentioned it. Although my new car did come with a drivers handbook it predates the production of the model I have (GTS4.0) so anything specific to that model is not included. I’ve had a quick look at the app and as long as I look at for a 2021 model I can some of the missing information, which is useful whilst I await the supplement to the handbook which apparently should have been delivered with my car but it seems theses supplements didn’t find their way to the UK.

Thank you Brian.

I had a drive to Aberdeen today to honour a dental appointment, previously postponed three times this year already. This is event is, by some considerable margin, the riskiest thing I have done since the beginning of the pandemic. It was only a check-up and descaling and took no more than 30 minutes. The check-in procedure online was very rigorous, as was the arrival at the practice. All very MI5 with security and safety checks. I am relieved to report all went well. The next 5 days, I shall be on tenterhooks......

The Macan performs very well on the road. I would suggest there is very little in it performance-wise when overtaking compared to my 718 Cayman GTS PDK. Pre-selecting the appropriate gear prior to overtaking spools up the turbos nicely, and the car accelerates very briskly indeed for such a bulky machine. The mid-range punch in 3rd and 4th gears is pretty much the same as my Cayman. In fact, I would venture to suggest that a drag race between the two cars would be pretty even to 70 - 80mph. My previous 718 Cayman GTS PDK would nudge ahead towards the 100mph mark, due the lower aero drag, but off the line in the dry, they would be neck and neck I reckon. In wet conditions with FWD, I'm sure the Macan would have the advantage over the Cayman off the line. My launch control start at Knockhill in the wet, stopped the clock at 4.12 seconds to 60mph.

This was my first opportunity to drive the Macan in the dark. The lights seem fine, although I have not tested them on full beam yet. The cabin ambient lighting is excellent in the dark, and the cabin is a very nice and relaxing place to be.

Weather forecast for the Highlands says snow may be on the way this week, prompting the winter wheels/tyres fitting. Snow on the high roads is normal here so I shall be seeking it out to test both the tyres, and the car. Reports will follow.

Brian

Winter Wheels and Tyres On.
As winter approaches and temperatures now well into single figures in the Highlands, time to fit the 20" winter wheels and Michelin Alpin 5 N0 tyres.

Having extensive past experience with wheel swapping from my Cayman R motorsport days, I have all the necessary tools and technical knowledge to do this previously straightforward DIY task in my own garage. However, wheel swapping on a Macan Turbo with air suspension is not quite so straightforward. It is very important to disengage the air suspension self-levelling feature before raising the car on the trolley jack, otherwise complications arise with the air compressor valves on each corner of the vehicle. The disengagement of self-levelling is achieved by holding down the suspension ride height button on the centre console for 10 seconds. A message then appears on the instrument panel to confirm that self-levelling is off. The car is then safe to lift on the jack. To re-engage the self-levelling, this process is reversed and a confirmation message appears on the instrument panel as before. These instructions are contained in the Good to Know app.

Having previously inspected the Macan's underside jacking points at each corner, I made up a wooden block to fit the jacking point recesses snugly, and bolted a rubber jacking pad to the block to provide a secure connection with the serrated trolley jack lifting cup. Fortunately my single garage is extra wide, and I have sufficient working room either side of the car to remove each wheel one corner at a time.

First problem I encountered was, my trolley jack had insufficient lifting height to raise the car high enough to place the "skateboard" beneath the 21" road wheel. Even with the wheel just clear of the floor, the jack was approaching its maximum lifting height limit. For reasons of safety, I decided against going all the way to the jacking height limit, and made do with the road wheel about 15mm above the floor. With the two guide bolts in place and the remaining wheel bolts removed, the incredibly heavy 21"x 10.5" rear wheel and 295 section tyre, was removed and put to one side.

Fitting the 20" wheels involved careful checking not only for the correct tyre size front and rear, but also the correct rotational direction for the Michelin Alpin 5 winter tyres, which are directional for the right and left sides of the car. My 718 Caymans also had 20" x 10.5" wheels, therefor I was hoping my physical strength had not deteriorated preventing me locating the wheel onto the Macan hub. I found it best to use only one of the guide bolts placed as close to the 12 o'clock position as possible, to locate the wheel securely on the hub. Thankfully, with the combined effort of using both my forearms and knees from a crouching position, the heavy wheel and tyre combo located successfully on the hub without too much difficulty. By the time I had done all four corners I was pretty well exhausted. This was by far the most strenuous wheel swap I have ever encountered in my life.

When it comes to refitting the 21" summer wheels, I shall have to make up a robust solid platform to place the trolley jack onto, thereby raising the lifting arc of the jack sufficiently to place the "skateboard" under the road wheel. Due to the extreme weight of the 21" wheels, I doubt I should manage to fit these heavy items without the help of the skateboard.

With the job concluded, it took me around two hours to remove the existing wheels one corner at a time, clean the brake callipers, and refit the winter wheels and torque up the wheel bolts to 160Nm.

Photos below showing the tools required and the directional markings on the tyre sidewall.

Brian

The direction of rotation markings on the tyre sidewall.

It was a simple matter to change the settings to 20" winter wheels in the Tyre Pressure Monitoring programme. The TPM system corrected itself within 300 metres of driving.

Brian

Macan GTS v Macan Turbo

It was with more than a passing interest that I read the Split Decisions article by Matt Master on page 39 of the current issue of Porsche Post. My original plan when deciding to give up ownership of my supremely capable 718 Cayman GTS 2.5t PDK, was to migrate to a new individual spec Gen 2 Macan GTS as a dual purpose daily driver and touring car. It was only due to a considerably later delivery date for a Macan GTS, that I was persuaded by means of an enhanced trade-in offer, to order a Macan Turbo instead.

In his article, Matt Master makes the point that the £10,000 difference in the headline prices between the two models struggles to justify the meagre power (59 bhp) and torque (30Nm) advantages of the Turbo model over its identical engined, albeit detuned GTS sibling. If you factor in the Turbo's inclusive options of 18-way Sports Seats (£1263), Porsche Surface Coated Brakes (£2105), and Bose sound system (£834), the headline price difference between the two models drops to £5,768. The Turbo also has model specific front headlights, sidelights, bumper valance, and a dual plane rear spoiler, to differentiate it from the GTS.

I would agree with Matt's statement that daily driving on public roads, particularly main trunk routes, dual carriageways, and motorways, most drivers would struggle to discern any significant engine performance differences between the two models. While this is true for most road situations where part-throttle progress is the predominant norm, this changes when fuller throttle openings are required, such as when ascending long steep hills and exiting hairpin bends on mountain passes for example. On the race track, where full-throttle is frequently deployed, the Turbo model would have a distinct superiority over the GTS. I accept this last point is mainly an academic one, as few Macan owners take to the track, but I make it as an illustration of true performance. To consolidate my point, the extra power advantage of the Turbo is much more than stopwatch figures of fractions of a second would suggest. A detuned version of any Porsche engine, particularly one as sophisticated as the Gen 2 2.9 hot-V twin turbo, always lacks that special something for the keen, technically aware driver. When the Porsche engineers were developing this new 2.9 V6 Macan engine, it was painstakingly optimised to comply with current exhaust emissions and fuel economy directives. To compromise these optimisations by detuning the engine by almost 60bhp, is not ideal for my keen drivers' outlook as it reduces the efficiency potential of the engine. To illustrate this point, compare the fuel economy figures of the two models and you will see that both are much the same across the urban, touring, and combined mpg ratings. Only fractions of mpg between the Turbo and GTS.

Having said all of that, I would agree that the Gen 2 Macan GTS is probably the sweet spot of the Macan model range. It has ample performance for most driver's needs, and comes with an attractive styling statement and GTS badging. Regarding Matt Master's assertion that the choice between the two models is mainly a lifestyle one, I would tend to disagree. In my particular case I have no misgivings about the Turbo badge and decals displayed on my car. As a former motorsport competitor I am no stranger to decals, a fact underlined by the running Michelin Bibendum sticker I have attached to the rear hatch on my Turbo. Old racers never die.

Brian

PS. I noted that the Macan Turbo model featured in the PP article had the optional PCCB full ceramic brakes. A very wise choice.........

Brian,
When reading that article in Porsche Post I thought how much more interesting it would have been if it had included your Macan experiences rather than being the usual glossy magazine type review.

I also noted in the PP Macan Register report the Porsche official quote that the "Porsche Surface Coated Brakes” do not fade, that seems contrary to your "on-track” experience?

Andrew,
I also read the piece in the Macan Register relating to the Porsche Surface Coated Brakes (PSCB). Far be it from me to contradict the comments made by the Porsche Development engineers at Weissach, but in all honesty my experiences of the PSCB at a wet Knockhill did not accord with Dr Leber's statements.

After only 2 medium speed laps I could already smell the brakes getting hot, and after the third lap when the brake pedal became soft, I returned to the pit lane, came to a stop, placing the gear selector in Park, keeping my foot off the brake pedal, and got out to inspect the front brakes. Smoke was billowing from the callipers.

I got back into the car and returned to the track to do a couple of gentle laps to cool everything down. When I later spoke to the photographer who was at the trackside he confirmed the he also could smell the brakes as I passed by.

During the past 12 years of Porsche ownership I have had the benefit of professional track driving tuition on many occasions, all of which have covered race braking techniques. I do not jump on the brake pedal. I squeeze the pedal progressively and firmly on the approaches to a given corner. I also gently warm up the brakes on the out lap before commencing faster laps as is common practice.

Compared to the excellent Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB) which I had extensive experience on with my 718 Cayman GTS, the PSCB did not perform in the same league at all. By contrast, the PCCB perform consistently well on the track with no fade and no smoking.

I am glad to report that my Macan Turbo brakes have now fully recovered from the Knockhill track session, and are performing entirely satisfactorily for public road use. If I were speccing a Macan GTS or Turbo which I intended to track occasionally, I would definitely cough up the extra ££££'s for the PCCB.

Brian

PCCB's do occasionally fade and smoke too - as some will testify following a session of spirited runs over the old military road between Speybridge and Tomintoul! [&:][:D]

Regards,

Clive

Brian,

In fairness to Porsche I doubt that you’ll see many Macans, let alone Turbo versions, on track. It’s a heavy vehicle and it would be interesting to see how the standard cast iron brakes fare on track compared with the PSCB and PCCB options. I’m sure that’s a comparison Porsche have themselves done in order to claim that the PSCB is superior to the standard package.

Jeff

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back