Menu toggle

PCGB for early 911?

Sorry now found Silverstone Classic Fred See:-

http://www.porscheclubgbforum.com/tm.asp?m=728408&mpage=1&key=&#728408

Thanks for the info John, I will certainly be there and will register asap and I suggest that all of the early 911 owning members should register as well and we will hopefully bring together the largest number of Early 911s at the same place and time. Don't wait for the magazine to come out, register your interest now.

Just a suggestion:-

How about getting a commemorative Plaque http://www.dragonflyhouse.co.uk/rallyplates.html designed and manufactured for the 911 cars you hope to get on track for the Silverstone Classic anniversary?

The club could even run a competition in Porsche Post for the Design of the Plaque. I'm pretty sure Porsche Cars GB would be delighted to sponsor and pay for the plaque. [;)][;)]

John said: Thanks for the info John, I will certainly be there and will register asap and I suggest that all of the early 911 owning members should register as well and we will hopefully bring together the largest number of Early 911s at the same place and time. Don't wait for the magazine to come out, register your interest now.

I have registered

Anyone noticed what's happened here? There was an initial "complaint" that the club tends to ignore early cars (NOT my opinion, by the way), then there is a seed sown by a couple of proactive members (it's members that run the club after all) and the result is at least two gatherings of early cars planned for next year.

Without wishing to open old wounds, if anyone wants to attend an event for early Porsches you can do a lot worse than getting along to Hedingham next year, it's a superb event - and long may the clubs association with it continue (that IS my opinion)!

An example of PCGB members working for the greater good, I believe.

ORIGINAL: jdpef356

ORIGINAL: drummerboytom

ORIGINAL: Mark Elder

What about Hedingham?
http://www.classicsatthecastle.com/2012/

ORIGINAL: philip_sloper

Yes, but is there anything else?

Nope !
Someone hit the nail on the head in the recent "Hedingham" thread when they said :
PCGB needs Hedingham more than Hedingham needs PCGB.

But Why Does the club need Hedingham?[8|] - from what I read/hear its costing the Club money its not a revenue stream - only to the organiser!

Because it is an easy and (relatively) cheap way for the club of maintaining the pretence of interest in older cars

Dear Robin

In my article in the Post ,I was using the "Royal" we. I have no intention of laying up my car for the winter. My 997 Cab is used every day as my first car and I certainly enjoy driving it in all sort of weathers.
That is what owning a Porsche is all about. I am sorry if I have confused you or anyone else.

Happy motoring

Brendan Daly RO6
Operations Director.

Hi Brendan, I am very pleased to hear that you will be using your car throughout the year and clarifying the Board Talk article in which you talk of :- "preparing for hibernation over the next few months" sic.
Hope to see you at the 2nd December Club Office open day. I wonder how many Early cars will be there with their owners?

If I recall, Hedingham was established originally by certain members because they were unimpressed by the Club's attitude. I've never been to the event because I live in the west country, but I would agree that the Club has always been on the back foot in terms of its association there. Good luck to the organisers.
I also belong to Club Lotus (I have a 62 Elite) and I should say that the reason I quit as a director of the Porsche Club (along with 2 others I think) some 18 years ago was when the decision was barrelled through to buy Cornbury House. It changed the Club's motivation from being member driven to being overhead driven. Club Lotus is like the Club used to be in the early 1990s - very personalised and with lots of enthusiasm for events - and without unrealistic overheads or commitments. The guy who runs it is also in a position to take decisions that keep the Club focused on who pays its bills.
The problem getting individuals to step forward in the Club and promote events is that there's always the dark cloud of the Club's politics in the background - directly as a result of the 'big club' image. That puts many off starting new things. I have to say the link with PAG was also ill-advised as it further increases the dependency on outside cash, and its loss now could hurt the Club if there was a change of corporate direction. It has also reduced the Club's independence and ability to say things like the Panamera should really be an Audi and the Cayenne is a truck.
In my 35 years of membership I can claim to have started the Herts/Beds/Bucks (now Chiltern) and Cambs/Beds regions, been on the committee, run mini weekends and ran the concours for 3 years before editing Porsche Post for nothing (actually I think Anne, my wife might have received £1K in the last 2 years or so for copy reading). I wonder if I would do all that again, given today's 'big company' image. Of course, I may be completely out of touch with what's actually happening and fit only to polish my horn grilles!
As an owner of two early 911s (that is 911s built before the 1974 model year), it would be great to see more on the early cars. What's also changed in the past 10 years is that the early cars have become serious investment propositions and this has brought in a whole new wave of interest in all early Porsches. That adds up to a large group interested in these cars. But as ever, the only way you'll get more stuff in the Post is by writing it yourself. We are still a minority compared to the 993 and 996 owners out there. Perhaps the club racing people have shown the way, because race coverage/involvement in the Club significantly outweighs general member interest.
From the club's viewpoint, it can try to be all things to all men, but in today's environment, few businesses find that strategy successful - look at Woolworths for instance. New niche clubs are inevitable.
My view is that the Club should do a lot more for owners of classic Porsches (those made before 1998), but finding a few good volunteers to champion the effort will require a revolution in Club thinking.
That's enough rambling from me. I only came on here this morning to see if there were any 993s for sale and spotted the Early 911 thread!
I'll check it out more often.

911 cars on the track in roughly age order - that sounds like a mega organisational headache for whoever is doing it, just getting all the cars actually on the track at one time will be a major achievement in itself.

BTW I'm not the other Fred that John refers to.

Cheers,

ORIGINAL: petermorgan

If I recall, Hedingham was established originally by certain members because they were unimpressed by the Club's attitude. I've never been to the event because I live in the west country, but I would agree that the Club has always been on the back foot in terms of its association there. Good luck to the organisers.
I also belong to Club Lotus (I have a 62 Elite) and I should say that the reason I quit as a director of the Porsche Club (along with 2 others I think) some 18 years ago was when the decision was barrelled through to buy Cornbury House. It changed the Club's motivation from being member driven to being overhead driven. Club Lotus is like the Club used to be in the early 1990s - very personalised and with lots of enthusiasm for events - and without unrealistic overheads or commitments. The guy who runs it is also in a position to take decisions that keep the Club focused on who pays its bills.
The problem getting individuals to step forward in the Club and promote events is that there's always the dark cloud of the Club's politics in the background - directly as a result of the 'big club' image. That puts many off starting new things. I have to say the link with PAG was also ill-advised as it further increases the dependency on outside cash, and its loss now could hurt the Club if there was a change of corporate direction. It has also reduced the Club's independence and ability to say things like the Panamera should really be an Audi and the Cayenne is a truck.
In my 35 years of membership I can claim to have started the Herts/Beds/Bucks (now Chiltern) and Cambs/Beds regions, been on the committee, run mini weekends and ran the concours for 3 years before editing Porsche Post for nothing (actually I think Anne, my wife might have received £1K in the last 2 years or so for copy reading). I wonder if I would do all that again, given today's 'big company' image. Of course, I may be completely out of touch with what's actually happening and fit only to polish my horn grilles!
As an owner of two early 911s (that is 911s built before the 1974 model year), it would be great to see more on the early cars. What's also changed in the past 10 years is that the early cars have become serious investment propositions and this has brought in a whole new wave of interest in all early Porsches. That adds up to a large group interested in these cars. But as ever, the only way you'll get more stuff in the Post is by writing it yourself. We are still a minority compared to the 993 and 996 owners out there. Perhaps the club racing people have shown the way, because race coverage/involvement in the Club significantly outweighs general member interest.
From the club's viewpoint, it can try to be all things to all men, but in today's environment, few businesses find that strategy successful - look at Woolworths for instance. New niche clubs are inevitable.
My view is that the Club should do a lot more for owners of classic Porsches (those made before 1998), but finding a few good volunteers to champion the effort will require a revolution in Club thinking.
That's enough rambling from me. I only came on here this morning to see if there were any 993s for sale and spotted the Early 911 thread!
Well said sir !

I drive a 87 registered 88 3.2 carrera targa as a daily drive and holiday transport achieving aprox 10,000mls per year whats all this about 8mths a year in the garage.Its meant to be driven as it was intended and enjoyed
Paul B

That is unfortunately the catch-22!

I think Paul said it about right and others have re-iterated the point, if you want more then get up and do it. People keep talking about "the club" as if it is some entity that exists to do stuff for us, but at the end of the day it is a group of volunteers working together. There are groups based around cars and regions and it is up to those groups to put things together.

If the non volunteers are not happy about what is happening, then become a volunteer and do something. You don't need to be a RS/RO/director to put something together but YOU do need to be prepared to put some time in.

I would love to sit at home read the mag every month and just turn up to the odd event that I wanted to, it would be great and certainly a lot less effort. But when my predecessors stood down I thought that if no-one stepped up then there wouldn't anything to go to. It doesn't mean that I have to do it all myself and I love nothing more than when someone else puts something together and I actively encourage members to organise events.

It's your club and if you aren't happy with it, then change it.

From the classic perspective I do think it is just a sign of the times that these cars just aren't used as often anymore. I don't think they are unpopular, they always draw a crowd when they do turn up. I know for a fact that our Region has plenty of pre 74 cars and 356s but I only ever see a couple of them at our annual event and it is a real shame. We don't do anything for any specific age group so it is not as if they are being ignored, they just choose to not join in. Most events seem to consist of the kettles and the odd impact bumper. We very rarely get the front engine cars or anything pre 1980, a real shame really.

Hi Mark,
Forgive me for questioning what you say, but are you sure that the club is run by volunteers? It may be at a regional level, but aren't many of the people at Cornbury House employees, and isn't Porsche Post produced professionally rather than by volunteers?

I agree that early cars are not seen about so much, but that probably affects how few there are surviving. I took my early 911 to the annual event at the Chateaux Impney on the Saturday, on arrival I expected the parking to be organised by era/model, but it wasn't; it was the same at the Silverstone Classic this year. In previous years it has been different, and I remember a large turnout of early cars at Silverstone a few years ago. Maybe 2013 will be different, since it is the 50 year anniversary of the 911.

As for changing the club, it's interesting that no-one from Cornbury House has had anything to say on this thread...

Philip I think you will find that there are a handful of employees at Cornbury House whose jobs are related to the running of the club and who aren't responsible for putting events together. They look after the running of the club as a "company" so accounts, membership, club office etc. I think you will also find that although PP is published professionally it does not employ a group of journalists for putting articles together. The majority of what you see comes from the membership, which includes the editor, and bought in articles.

From this you should be able to see that the club is in actual fact us [:D]

This warrants a reply from one of the clubs active foot-soldiers:-

I also live in the west country but wouldn't miss Hedingham for all the tea in China and I'm just a normal club member, albeit a very active one. And I know for sure that there are other people who earn their living writing about 911's and also live "at the back of beyond" who feel the journey to Essex is well worth making to attend such a great event!

Yes, PCGB is a big club, with in excess of 12,000 members. Is that a bad thing? Does anyone ever wonder WHY it has become so big? It's because it manages to please all of the members some of the time and a lot of members most of the time. There really is something in the club for everybody. And Cornbury House is a great asset which befits a prestigious club and is something we should be proud of. Even as a dedicated R26 member, I realise that a club of this size needs a central head office - it's for our benefit after all

Nothing should stop members from organising events should they so wish - I have been an active (that word again) participant AND organiser of numerous events in the relatively short time I have been a member. Again, the size and prestigious image of the club open many doors as organisers of local and national events WANT us there. We add status to their events.

Just where does the opinion that early 911's are neglected originate from? Fred Hampton is one of the most active RS's in the club and he is almost totally early car orientated (that also includes 356's - and we don't hear many complaints from those owners) - check out his contributions in Porsche Post if you don't believe me. And you won't hear any complaints from me about being unwanted - but then I'm only the owner of a 3.2 Carrera, which, at just 25 years old, clearly isn't classed as early by some commentators!

Finally, my membership to PCGB has DIRECTLY resulted in me getting more involved in the early 911 scene than I ever dreamed possible, but that's another story. Although I'm not under the illusion that it's perfect, far from it, you certainly won't hear me whinging that this club doesn't do enough for me!

If I recall, Hedingham was established originally by certain members because they were unimpressed by the Club's attitude. I've never been to the event because I live in the west country, but I would agree that the Club has always been on the back foot in terms of its association there.

An interesting comment, given the debate on this Forum and at Board level regarding our relationship with the event. Did the Board of the day really refuse to sanction such an event being organised on behalf of the Club?

Regarding the magazine articles, I recently wrote a small article to go into the Christmas edition and sent it off to the Register Secretary and the magazines Publication Assistant because there was nothing in the Early 911 Register section in the last magazine. I have yet to have any sign from the recipients as to whether they have recieved it or whether it will actually go in the Christmas edition.

Robin, glad to see that your piece made it into the December issue, also something from Ian.

Wishing you a happy Christmas and a great 2013, perhaps the 50 th anniversary of the 911 will focus the club's attention a little on the early cars.

Phil

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back