Menu toggle

356 moderator?

ORIGINAL: Helen Goff

... nobody showed much interest so i lost interest in up-dating the thread. cars not road worthy yet, theres a way to go before we get it DVLA registered and MOTed.

Several people said how nice it was looking etc. Forgive me, but what else were you wanting them to do? [&o]

ORIGINAL: Mark Bennett

ORIGINAL: Helen Goff

... nobody showed much interest so i lost interest in up-dating the thread. cars not road worthy yet, theres a way to go before we get it DVLA registered and MOTed.

Several people said how nice it was looking etc. Forgive me, but what else were you wanting them to do? [&o]
ask questions, give advise or helpful tips, i had hoped my threadmight encourage others to post theirs. [&o]

Well it's all good fun, as it seams I am labled as the negative one. Please feel free to look though past posts to see a nice balance of posititve comment as well as some well structured comments for which I seam to have been labled " THE NEGATIVE ONE "

Ok so lets go back and look at things..... PAUL
as chairman at the time when I joined I did try contacting you and Also Fred. I didn't get a responce so I left it a while and then I got to the point where I wasn't going to bother any more. But I gave it one more shot.. I called Fred again ( poss about 5-6 time ) he answered and within mins...one happy Pre A owner was thinking what the hell have I done to get this NEGATIVE responce.. " Oh dear not another LHD car from California " Oh dear you didn't look for a RHD car and No there is not much going on as PCGB don't have funds to do events and the responce from the club is rather doom and gloom with these older cars.. "

GREAT I have only been waiting about 18months to get hold of this guy and for what!!

it's been down hill from there the 356 side of the club is well in my view very lacking in new talent and there is a HUGE amount of talent in 356's in the UK just PCGB has Pee'vd them off and they joined for a year and left..

Don't come out with any unfounded stats.. I know owners have joined for a year and then left as there was nothing for them..

SO WE COME TO...........the classic line SO WHAT DO YOU WANT THEN.. I have suggested on many a time things and they do seam to go no where. I would like to see more active web site that will attract more of these .....well confused owners who joined expected some thing and then left, some thing for them to use and be part of..

We haven't all got finished cars to polish all day some of us and the most I know enjoying restoring the cars.. So why has there not been more tec info available for early car owners.. The wealth of porsche resto info is huge..

I would like to see a web site that has a content that is not always about use sportswagen, use this guy in sweden for £££$$$$ yes we have the 356 register in the US it's the best thing in the world for these cars.. but when the RS just goes ...... Join the 356 reg ...I ask well what have we got to offer ...nothing.. just join the 356 reg.. I just give up!!

well more on this later and a UK register , which I am told has been in the pot with PCGB board for about 4-5years?? and has got nowhere due to funding..

so we lead on to FUNDING!!

when a chairman who I knew before he was chairman over night goes from I love early cars and we do need to try and promote the PCGB in better light for you younger owners to join in more.. hoo rarrr!!

and then he became chairman, and over night the chip was inserted " well the classic cars are low in number so, unless an event makes money for the club they are not interested and as classic cars events normaly make a loss, that's not going to happen!!!

GREAT sorry I thought this was a club... if a modern 993 and boxster event makes £500 on a day out and the classic event makes a £500 loss it's still even. it's a club and it's about being sensible and covering the costs at the end of the day not looking to make money from it all the time!!

So making money ...... this brings me on to DDK.. well ok I am part of DDK and I have been a member of PCGB longer !!! might I point out than I have with DDK. I have not sat here and or ever gone ...right stuff PCGB just joint DDK ... any one want to look for proof of this please do and show me and you can have my car for FREE!!

THE REAL people who know me know I promote both !!

I also promote both clubs on my own web site www.classic356.co.uk I also follow rules and don't use a PCGB logo.. I still say to new owners who act the same as me when they first look at the club ... it's the PCGB it's the best.. and then they join and go what the hell is this all about.. ( I know this as I have emails and telephone calls from people telling me.. I also spend alot of time at events being a good guy by telling them the truth and that the need for new young blood in the PCGB is needed but it needs support and understanding that nothing moves fast with the club and you have to understand that.. But there is alot to offer and alot of people in the same boat.. ) So ask the younger owners I must have had this chat with about 50+ over the years and I try each time to get them to RENEW!!! their member ship and they point black ,flattly refuse.. so........

am I still the negative winger that you lot have labled me or am I just a Classic Porsche owner who keeps chipping away until one day I get to have a go at HELPING to rebuild the younger early owners and try to offer something for them to want to be part of.. Because Paul and Phil there is only so much some one can do and take before they just walk off.. you know that well Phil you didn't last long at the early 911 side hmm?

I will take your comments as jest earlier in the posts as I know you abit and I am sure they are ment that way.. Paul I pointed out before what I thought the club could do to help promote this subject in another post and I notice you didn't reply which prob ment you didn't read it..

I have so much to say on this matter and If I had more time I would do more, you lot the club should have used my pashion before my son came along as I had time to help build and promote things..

the 356 side of things need to build up and can only be done with the support of Fred. Fred is a nice guy to be fair I have now I understand him had a chat with him and he loves these cars as much as I do and wants to do more, but I have to say it is very clear on a couple of counts, ONE he and club seam to grate and he doesn't get what he would like to promote more things to offer for the owners and their cars.. TWO he does seam to put up a wall which makes new younger owners feel left in the cold, so much so they walk off.. You as a club can only do this for so long before the membership levels in the 356 side become sagnent. Which is where I think things are now..

I have a number of emails and converstions from people who you Paul know very well and are known very well in the club who are NOT happy with what Fred has done .. On one occation I was asked if I would be able to step forward and things would be sorted in this area for a new start.. so don't think all this has not been noted above.... it has.. I only said No as this is a car club NOT A Politcal game.. besides I think that would have been wrong and also a great deal of value would be lost with a member..so I am NOT the bad person you think I am..

So Paul what do you say to why these owners just walk off..?

remember this I haven't walked off.............. I have kept trying to chip away at this problem and try to get some link between the young and the experinced ( i'm not going to say old ) so in doing so am I a trouble maker?

And Phil I would have expected more, I felt for you on that Silverstone day having worked so hard to get your car where it is, only to be stood looking at Barry's legs under your car. That's why I asked if you wanted to come out in my car. I didn't know you thought of me like this, so I wish I hadn't bothered.

you lot have think about this.. I have lots more to say if you want to call me fine.. 01489 602936 happy to talk and if you want to work towards building a better club for younger Early car owners I'm in.. if you want to talk about it an burry your head in sand as there is nothing wrong.. fine.. do it but don't expect there to be any change in 5 years time.. it will be worse!!

Oh and ref my comments on Ragley... Ragley, I know it well I used go there alot when I was a kid and its a great place.. SO I told lots of people to go to Ragley as it will be a great day one you will be sure to love for ages.. well you guess it.. I got some stick for this.. from people who I said to go who hated every min due to lack of organisation and that put me and the club in their bad books so hence I was not too happy to see it was one BIG F***up from PAID PCGB orgainsers!!! see two sides to a story!!

Oh dear

Mark ..... I think it's just a case of me not taking things as seriously as some.

As for me deciding to stop being early 911register sec . . . 90% of this was because I didn't (don't) have the time to do it justice. The other 10% was because of the constant grief I got from the early gang telling me how sh@t it all was (not good for morale or motivation).

Anyway I vote you as chairman[:D][:D][:D]

Phil J

PS. Just finished reading Denis Jenks 'Passion for Porsches' . . . . interesting to read his views of the front engined watercoolers and the impending demise of the 911. Got to love some of those 356 stories . . . wish I could go back to the 60's . . . . clear roads, and by all accounts a very convivial PCGB. God bless him.

Chairman it is then.. trouble is will the board let me do things alittle different, I think not.

anyway to echo comments, it's a car club and I just want it that way.. no political games thanks.

Just to see some thing there that is of use to members and not something they think is the best thing since bread only to join and then look at what's on offer and leave after a year because there is nothing there. You are NOT going to please all the people ALL the time..

But trying to offer some thing people can be part of will help I am sure, now and in the future.

anyway it's there to read.. do what you want ..

Mark

I have read your post, a lot of which I feel is just your take on our Club.

I am at the moment helping my daughter with some work on her house, but will attempt to answer you "list" over the next few days.

Reading your post a second time, you have got so much off your chest you must be able to get into a smaller shirt.[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Have fun

Paul Kelley

GOOD Paul because I am very keen and have been VERY keen to help out on the 356 side of the club, as a way to try and help younger or anyone really who wants to use the forum more and web sites more and wants to restore a car at home.

That is what is lacking I feel ,some support for this area, Fred is not interested in this area. Please don't confuse my ranting as some off the cuff randum ranting.....it's the same offer of help since 1999!!!!! when I first looked at joining the club.

I know you say the numbers are small.. But two things

1 they are! because there is nothing currently to offer

2 the furture is using the web to it's advantage and it can only grow as many new owners are web savy..

I would look forward to a proper chat about this.

if you like I can call you if you give me your number

Smaller shirt!! no just red finger tips [:D][:D]

Mark . . .

I don't think Paul is going to spend ages on a reply if he replies at all, particarly bearing in mind his comments about getting it off your chest. But could be wrong.

He shouldn't have to really, he's just a member like you (actually he could be a honouree member, but please don't have a go at him for that)

Phil

Thanks for your comment Phil[:)]

Mark, I do not think you would like the comments that I feel I would like to make about your numurous comments and criticisms of our Club.
In my opinion, the only way that you will sort you problems out, is to write to the Chairman and the rest of the Board, so that you have on record your complaints. If you do not get satisfaction, then you can raise your complaints at the AGM and see if you get support from the Membership at an open meeting.

I do not think this thread needs to continue as I believe that Robin Walker is about to make a statement following the Board meeting later this week.

Have fun ( or try your best to)[:D][:D]

Paul Kelley

Ok well in the past I have spoken to Robin, so i will wait for his Statement and then I WILL write to the board, afterall it is OUR club as you say. I still think you see my comments as negative.. but I just want to point out. Others just left.. I'm still here and would like to try and do something or offer something to change the attitude of the people who just leave.

thanks for your help, having a ball thanks......[:)]

ORIGINAL: early 911

Mark . . .

I don't think Paul is going to spend ages on a reply if he replies at all, particarly bearing in mind his comments about getting it off your chest. But could be wrong.

He shouldn't have to really, he's just a member like you (actually he could be a honouree member, but please don't have a go at him for that)

Phil

I'm not having a go Phil, I think you know me well enough that do want to help stem any flow of new owners from leaving as I would like them to get involved to creat something for them to be part of.

I had hoped Paul could see that, poss part of the old guard I don't know. But I have been told I am seen as... A trouble maker.. some one who thinks the interent will solve every thing and above all a pain in the ass... GOOD!! because that means some one is listening.. So I would like to offer some sort of help to try and encourage the younger members to want to be part of the club, as there are some great people with a wealth of knoledge to offer.

i'm not going away..[;)]

Who's calling you a trouble maker? . . . . think that's something you've branded yourself. Personally I know your heart is in in the right place . . . I think perhaps it's the way you communicate things . . . . i.e. the main thrust is negative with a couple of good points (to support your 'I'm all for the club' campaign'[:D])

I take it you don't see the internet as the solution to 'the problems'? . . . . I certainly don't . . . . it's global warming.

Perhaps I'm old guard . . . perhaps I'm loosing my identity . . . . perhaps it's time I turned off the TV and do something less boring instead.

Phil

now with that line your just showing your age..

Some one who I know said that... some one at a certain level.. said to him I was just a trouble maker....sorry but fact and I for one believe him as I can't see what he would gain from saying anything other than the thruth.. anyway I am thick skinned. Plus he is right.. for him anyway.

Now to see this statement..

I do not think this thread needs to continue as I believe that Robin Walker is about to make a statement following the Board meeting later this week.

Have fun ( or try your best to)[:D][:D]

Paul Kelley

this one.. Come on Phil keep up..[;)]

I'm sorry but this threat is similar to shouting in the desert. The fact of the matter is that some of the members want to made known to the board that they require some clarification, would like to see constructive action taken and would expect some accountability of the people involved during this period.

If that is you, STOP USING THE FORUM AND WRITE BY REGISTERED MAIL.

This club is not forum based. If there is an AGM, USE THAT CHANCE.

It might be too late to be included in the agenda, but you can only play the game if you use "their" rules. If, for some strategic reason, those rules are set in such a way that you naturally feel inclined to shy away from it, then you are either forced to adapt or alternatively forced to go somewhere else.

Now, here is a thought for that "pondering time " over your single malt. The majority of people who posted in this threat are genuine enthousiasts for the Porsche Marque. Typically, we rather spend £ 30.000 for a slide throttle 2.8 twin plug engine based around 2.4 litres 7r cases than to go into an OPC and pay that amount for a porsche approved silver metallic boxter. Some of us do jump in our classic porsches and drive to, I don't know, a parisian suburb to check out this rumour of a set of carrera 6 cams. Some of us do use connections in the military development circles to check whether those 996 GT3 titanium conrods are really to be recycled in such a way so we can use them in a 2 litre twin-plug historic 6 cylinder engines.

If PCGB would be called "the Southern chapter of UK dealer supplied RHD factory delivered porsche vehicles with a taste for gentle drives from one Castle to another Michelin Restaurant whilst receiving a free jetwash at the hosting porsche centre(for cars still under factory warranty)", would you feel inclined to be part of it?

With the CoC, PCGB of old is gone. Live with it.

If you don't like it, join the ranks, be a good boy for many years and with a bit of luck, assemble enough like minded individuals to grow to Board level and adopt some changes. Blair did it, so can you.

Forum posts mean nothing, even 3000 hits. Action by a number of PCGB members using the appropriate means is the only way forward.

wishing you good luck and all the best,

Bert

wow Bert, been a long night then [:D][:D]

I am supprised I would have thought you to be more proactive towards getting some thing going for younger and more hands on 356 owners. But your right the old PCGB has gone in way. I was only having this converstion last night with a few 356 owners. ( younger ones might I add ) so I will put in writing to the club and I will try and ask and point out that I feel that alot of 356 owners don't feel part of anything because rightly or wrongly the RS seams to want to distance him self from owners who choose to restore cars at home or use other non FH recognised restoration companies. ( there I have just come out with it ) having a converstion with some one yesterday who's car a convertable D was at a show and he asked if he could park in the line up to be not far being told " your cars not good enough " he left the club after that and has not been a member for 5 years..

guess what he just bought a MINT Carrera GS 356 , guess who he will not be on the phone to..

So as I have already started something inthe background not against PCGB ( I was kind of hoping it would be helpful to them and I was and is more than happy to do the work ) we have ( us disgruntled owners ) to start our own UK 356 register it's open to all of any club or indeed non members of any club, So I hope a few new 356 owners will come forward. I will list PCGB next to all the other links and I hope in time it will be seen as an assett and will be more than happy to share it will what ever club.

anyway I will write the letter and I will also start the new project..and your right time to stop asking and just do it.. thanks for that Bert..

so how much was that constaltaion!! [:D][:D]

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back