Menu toggle

986 v 981

daro911

PCGB Member
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/meet-ancestors-porsche-boxster-video

Proof as if anyone needed it not only is the current Boxster the best ever to date but also way cheaper than the original deal![;)]

I like my 99 2.5, even though i've driven faster Porsche I'm tempted to stick with a Boxster or perhaps a Cayman. My Boxster is my daily work ride, 60mile round trip, motorways and A roads. It returns 31mpg, enough storage, to the point that occasionally i put a big tool box in the front (boot), with my hard hat, high vis and boots for building site visits. The laptop, lunch and sports bag in the rear boot. And of course she puts a smile on my mush. Happy days.

Looking forward to hearing views of 981 vs 987 next, not necessarily from motoring journalists.
Those who've done 987 to 981, do you think the technical advancements make for a better 'drive' or just a better car as a whole. No doubt a bit of both.
I do wonder if cars will become more like disposable items in the future with people reluctant to keep them into 'old age', such is the propensity of non-serviceable or expensive parts on the modern cars.

I'm all for the advancements, just wondering what it'll mean for holding onto these new cars outside of warranty. Will we still want the dynamic gearbox mounts, PTV etc. etc. when bits need to be replaced at considerable cost. Maybe we'll just swap our cars out more often to avoid it (which i'm sure many do already anwyay). Or are these new components expected to last the life of the car...

In terms of value, the 986 has more or less bottomed out in terms of depreciation, whereas you'll be stiffed big time with a new 981. And with many more 20mph town limits and 50mph rural limits planned (check your county council road plans and be prepared for a shock) any performance or handling differences are fast becoming academic. [:(]

ORIGINAL: BartyB

In terms of value, the 986 has more or less bottomed out in terms of depreciation, whereas you'll be stiffed big time with a new 981. And with many more 20mph town limits and 50mph rural limits planned (check your county council road plans and be prepared for a shock) any performance or handling differences are fast becoming academic. [:(]

I agree to an extent, certainly regarding the ludicrous speed limits being applied to certain roads. Within the last few months, a 3 miles radius around my house has been made a 20mph zone. I don't think it's made the slightest difference, at least I haven't seen anyone sticking to it, except for myself of course [;)] I'm all for safer roads, I just don't think this is the way to do it, on the contrary infact! I'm sure trying to focus on your speedometer every 2 seconds, especially when the camera is spotted, is delivering a much safer road.

ORIGINAL: flat6

Looking forward to hearing views of 981 vs 987 next, not necessarily from motoring journalists.
Those who've done 987 to 981, do you think the technical advancements make for a better 'drive' or just a better car as a whole. No doubt a bit of both.
I do wonder if cars will become more like disposable items in the future with people reluctant to keep them into 'old age', such is the propensity of non-serviceable or expensive parts on the modern cars.

I'm all for the advancements, just wondering what it'll mean for holding onto these new cars outside of warranty. Will we still want the dynamic gearbox mounts, PTV etc. etc. when bits need to be replaced at considerable cost. Maybe we'll just swap our cars out more often to avoid it (which i'm sure many do already anyway). Or are these new components expected to last the life of the car...

Can't comment on the 987 to 981 transition as I never drove the older car.

However, in speccing the 981 I eschewed the siren calls of most of the P acronyms, and not just on the basis of cost. And while I accept this may have marginally reduced the outer limits of the performance envelope, in the real world the car still handles beautifully and is plenty quick enough for us. As regards maintenance, not much can go wrong with passive springs and dampers, no PTV saves on rear brakes, 19" wheels seem good enough for the turbo, and if I want more exhaust noise I can always turn up the volume on the deaf aid whilst luxuriating in the comfort of the heated seats.

Cheers

ORIGINAL: lowndes

I'm all for the advancements, just wondering what it'll mean for holding onto these new cars outside of warranty. Will we still want the dynamic gearbox mounts, PTV etc. etc. when bits need to be replaced at considerable cost. Maybe we'll just swap our cars out more often to avoid it (which i'm sure many do already anyway). Or are these new components expected to last the life of the car...

Can't comment on the 987 to 981 transition as I never drove the older car.

However, in speccing the 981 I eschewed the siren calls of most of the P acronyms, and not just on the basis of cost. And while I accept this may have marginally reduced the outer limits of the performance envelope, in the real world the car still handles beautifully and is plenty quick enough for us. As regards maintenance, not much can go wrong with passive springs and dampers, no PTV saves on rear brakes, 19" wheels seem good enough for the turbo, and if I want more exhaust noise I can always turn up the volume on the deaf aid whilst luxuriating in the comfort of the heated seats.

Cheers

Makes sense. I think PTV is the one i'd shun the most. Wouldn't want to be thinking about it gnawing away at my rear pads when i'm trying to enjoy a spirited drive [:)]

Did you go for PDK or manual? PDK is one the of 'P' options that I do embrace. I can pretty much leave the rest except maybe PASM. Have you gone from PASM to passive dampers? How's that been? I've gone from PASM (which was great but was my first Porsche, so nothing to compare it to) to lowered (Spyder) passive dampers, so not a fair comparison.

Makes sense. I think PTV is the one i'd shun the most. Wouldn't want to be thinking about it gnawing away at my rear pads when i'm trying to enjoy a spirited drive [:)]

Did you go for PDK or manual? PDK is one the of 'P' options that I do embrace. I can pretty much leave the rest except maybe PASM. Have you gone from PASM to passive dampers? How's that been? I've gone from PASM (which was great but was my first Porsche, so nothing to compare it to) to lowered (Spyder) passive dampers, so not a fair comparison.

Sorry. Should have made it clearer. My main point was intended to be that some of the P technology is not exactly essential for the average road user.

However on the specific points you raise about PDK and PASM my views are somewhat inconsistent. Learning to drive in an era when lack of synchro on first meant you needed to double declutch, and a slush box was an object of ridicule, I would have thought I would never warm to PDK. Quite the opposite in fact. In every way I prefer it to a manual, and the version in the Boxster is even better than the turbo. In auto mode, take off is immediate, changes are seamless and smoother than I ever was, it intuitively knows which gear to be in even before me, does its own heeling while I do the toeing, and then in traffic takes all the strain from an M25 tailback. Out on the open road if I feel the need to assert my authority with the paddles PDK quietly, uncomplainingly complies even though it still probably knows best. So that P box is ticked.

PASM I am less convinced by. I find any setting other than normal too harsh for UK roads and while I accept it may well be continuously self adjusting even in normal mode I still think it an area of computer trickery I can live without. Part and parcel of this is my resistance to ever increasing wheel sizes at the expense of aspect ratio. If you allow a little more compliance in the sidewall then you have more scope with spring rates and dampers. So the upshot is that the 981 on 19" wheels and passive suspension rides better than the turbo on the same size wheel with its PASM.
OK I know that is not entirely a fair comparison either, but does suggest to my mind that the 981 on 19" and a passive suspension set up is a nicely sorted car.

Cheers

One of the best Porsches I ever owned was my 1997 2.5 Boxster, purchased new.

However, my new Boxster is arriving complete with:

1. Just a 2.7, alcantara, 18" wheels and steel springs! Cos I'm poor.
2. Racing yellow. You will see me coming.
3. PDK with floppy paddles. I simple love it.
4. Heated seats. A must.
5. Park assist front & rear. They will pay for themselves.
6. Bluetooth. To save my licence.
7. Sports tail pipe. Cos I can.
8. Wind deflector. Why on earth is that not standard?
9. Cruise, cos I'm old.
10. Sound package +. Cos I have to.
11. PCM, cos at last it has full postcode [:D]

All that for tuppence three farthings [;)]

Sorry. Should have made it clearer. My main point was intended to be that some of the P technology is not exactly essential for the average road user.

However on the specific points you raise about PDK and PASM my views are somewhat inconsistent. Learning to drive in an era when lack of synchro on first meant you needed to double declutch, and a slush box was an object of ridicule, I would have thought I would never warm to PDK. Quite the opposite in fact. In every way I prefer it to a manual, and the version in the Boxster is even better than the turbo. In auto mode, take off is immediate, changes are seamless and smoother than I ever was, it intuitively knows which gear to be in even before me, does its own heeling while I do the toeing, and then in traffic takes all the strain from an M25 tailback. Out on the open road if I feel the need to assert my authority with the paddles PDK quietly, uncomplainingly complies even though it still probably knows best. So that P box is ticked.

PASM I am less convinced by. I find any setting other than normal too harsh for UK roads and while I accept it may well be continuously self adjusting even in normal mode I still think it an area of computer trickery I can live without. Part and parcel of this is my resistance to ever increasing wheel sizes at the expense of aspect ratio. If you allow a little more compliance in the sidewall then you have more scope with spring rates and dampers. So the upshot is that the 981 on 19" wheels and passive suspension rides better than the turbo on the same size wheel with its PASM.
OK I know that is not entirely a fair comparison either, but does suggest to my mind that the 981 on 19" and a passive suspension set up is a nicely sorted car.

Cheers
Very interesting, thanks.

ORIGINAL: dereksharpuk

4. Heated seats. A must.
9. Cruise, cos I'm old.

Looks complete[:)]
Are any additional options that you were in 2 minds about?

4. Heated seats. A must.
9. Cruise, cos I'm old.

and linda and i thought you would be opening your pockets for a 458 spyder[:D]

4. Heated seats. A must.
9. Cruise, cos I'm old.

Looks complete[:)]
Are any additional options that you were in 2 minds about?

The only one I would point out is option 573 for 2 Zone Air Conditioning at £518. Why automatic aircon is an extra is beyond me but I know from reading stuff on the web that one or two buyers of early cars were disappointed to find theirs came without it.

As for PCM, while the nav stuff seems much like before, there are lots of other toys hidden in the system to keep you amused on boring motorways. And back on the earlier theme of P options, PDSL does allow you to change the lights over for the Continent from the comfort of the drivers seat using PCM. Not cheap mind you at £1k but having bent a pin on the turbo light socket this summer it had a certain appeal.

PDSL does allow you to change the lights over for the Continent from the comfort of the drivers seat using PCM.

you don't need PCM to switch to continent .. standard audio works just fine too

ORIGINAL: lamboman

PDSL does allow you to change the lights over for the Continent from the comfort of the drivers seat using PCM.

...provided you have PDSL.......or so I was led to believe

Cheers

ORIGINAL: lamboman

...provided you have PDSL.......or so I was led to believe

Cheers

you need PDLS

Nick - 981 on 19" without PASM and all the other P's including PCM (top "Tom Tom" better) is just brilliant. Also in my experience, over the past 4 months, whether in cabin or as is usual, with roof off, no point whatsoever paying for extra climate controls, basic system is every bit as good as the extra climate in my previous 986. Porsche do a good job at trying to sell bits that lighten your wallet and many feel that without them there is something missing, but in truth the basic car is nothing short of exceptional!

ORIGINAL: gouldian

Nick - 981 on 19" without PASM .........the basic car is nothing short of exceptional!

Couldn't agree more....

..... and phenomenal value for money; and in fairness to Porsche, who can come in for some stick from time to time about their pricing policies, it is to their very great credit that the stuff you really need is already embedded in the DNA of the basic car. OK, the bells and whistles are dear but they are optional (if hard to resist! [;)])

Just one further point. New "S" in 2001, sold 11.5 years on, depreciation £2900 per year. Could have been less but wanted a good home! Only expenses, tyres and servicing. Smiles per miles unbeatable! Some go on about taking a big hit with a new 981, if that's your worry don't buy one! Fortunately for the Company however, the average Porsche buyer is ruled by the heart rather than any sense of financial soundness.

Nick,

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on PDLS.

I ticked that particular box when I purchased my Cayman and have to say that I've not regretted the decision. Although mine is the earlier system with just the motorised lights, I find them excellent when navigating twisty roads because the lights are always pointing where I'm going rather than straight ahead, as with a standard set-up. Much more intuitive because they mimic what you're doing when driving during the day. And, recognising that with advancing years my night vision is definitely getting worse, I'm grateful for any technology that will make night driving easier and safer.

I also like my cruise control, which I use all the time - more like a hand-throttle for me. With all the necessary elements in place (ABS pick-ups and electronic throttle), I can't understand why this isn't fitted as standard, given the traffic density on our roads and over-regulated driving conditions.

Since you have PDK, I presume that you don't find the electric handbrake a problem but I wonder what it's like if you have a manual 'box? Like yourself, I learned to drive in the non-synchro/double-declutch era and still use the handbrake a lot when I'm driving, so would probably find the electric version rather fussy to use.

And finally, auto aircon surely is a must but shouldn't be an extra on a £50k car. Manual temperature control should be confined to the dustbin.!

Glad you're enjoying your (wife's) new purchase.

Jeff

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back