Menu toggle

My 2019 718 Cayman GTS PDK

Thanks for the clarification Brian. Corner markers certainly come in handy when you're not familiar with the circuit.!

On your point about CW vs ACW direction of driving, I always find it much easier to 'attack' a left hand bend rather than a right hand bend in a RHD car (the same applies on the road of course). Although the sports seats in my Cayman are very supportive, I think the centrifugal cornering forces tend to push you towards the door/B-pillar and the armrest which give you more support and confidence, but if you have a full race seat and harness perhaps that's less of an issue. On that basis it may seem rather odd that in NASCAR oval track racing the LHD cars run in an ACW direction but I suppose it's more a safety issue, placing the driver as far away as possible from an unforgiving concrete wall.!

Jeff

All quiet up here in the far north.

The very short daylight hours, especially in December result in few opportunities for taking the GTS out for a drive. For most of this month the car is resting in my garage with the C-Tek charger plugged-in to the cigarette lighter socket in the cabin. I have never had any problems with this method of connection, having safely left it connected for weeks on end with no fear of a flat battery. The C-Tek charging light swaps between green and orange as the trickle charge is applied as necessary. Job done.

Plans for 2020 include a long drive south, practically the entire length of mainland Britain in my case, to attend the Goodwood Festival of Speed in July. While I'm that far south, I am planning to incorporate a tour of the west country following the FOS event. It's been many decades since I last visited Cornwall and Devon. Current thinking is to include a tour through Wales from south to north on my return leg of the journey. More details will follow in the new year.

May I take this opportunity to wish all my friends from the south, including forum contributors, track day associates, OPC service staff, and anyone else who knows me, a very happy Christmas and a healthy, safe, and enjoyable new year.

Brian

Unfortunately Brian, I had to give up on plugging-in my C-Tek into the cigarette lighter socket many moons ago since, for some unknown reason, it became intermittent and now I just use the croc clips on the battery posts directly without any problems.

It sounds as though you're planning a very interesting and comprehensive adventure 'down south' next year, and like many others on the Cayman forum I'm look forward with great interest to hearing about your exploits with the CGTS. Keep up the good work..!

May I reciprocate your best wishes for Christmas and New Year.

All the best.

Jeff

<a href=
HYRznhF.jpg
"
<a href=
uPp7csh.jpg
"

This is how I connect my battery with a permanant feed. Pop the bonnet and snap the connector in place.

Ray

Using the negative battery post is not advised as it can interfere with the power regulator. Porsche method from the handbook is positive to battery post, negative to earthing point on the chassis - Brian's method is a popular alternative to the point indicated in your handbook.

One thing I forgot to mention, after connecting the C-Tek to the cigarette lighter socket and closing the door, I always double-click the locking button on the remote to deactivate the cabin interior alarm. I'm not sure if this makes any difference to the long-term connectivity of the C-Tek, but has the advantage of reducing slightly the drain on the battery.

As I've already said, I've used this C-Tek connection method for 12 years now on all my Cayman models without any problems whatsoever.

Brian

lawrence quinn said:
I do similar but on the battery posts and bring out the connector between the wipers so no need to open the bonnet.
Hi Lawrence,

Good point regarding the connection points on the battery. As you can see from my photo's I have the neg wire connected to the suspension strut.

Ray

Today, I had intended taking the GTS south east to Aberdeenshire for a motorsport competitors reunion at Corgarff. Not to be, as it turned out.

The trip from my home town involved the using A939 Tomintoul - Lecht route which, as luck would have it, was on one of the most wintry days of the year so far. I therefore decided to take the Abarth, which is currently shod with proper winter snow tyres.

It was white-out conditions at the Lecht summit, with the wind blown snow completely obscuring vision of the road ahead. White-out conditions as it is known here. The only guidance as to where the road was going were the poles on the verge either side of the road. Tricky.

On the steep hills near the Lecht summit I encountered several 4x4 SUV's struggling for grip, all four wheels spinning aimlessly. My Abarth sailed past all of them no problem at all. Two-up, my Abarth weighs around 1200kgs, compared to a similarly loaded 4x4 SUV weighing around 2000kgs. It was no contest really. Most drivers do not realise the difference light weight combined with the right tyres make to progress on hilly roads covered in snow. They probably thought, "look at that idiot" when in actual fact I was driving well within the capabilities of both me and my car. I have extensive experience with previous Caymans shod with winter tyres such as Pirelli Sotto-Zeros, which provide excellent grip in snowy conditions. However, I have not made the commitment to purchasing winter wheels and tyres for my GTS.

I cannot help but think of how cars such as the new all-electric Taycan, weighing 2250kgs, would cope with snow covered roads as I experienced today. The instant torque delivery would be challenging to say the least. No doubt Porsche have tested the Taycan in such conditions. I just wonder how it would have coped in the road conditions I encountered today compared to how my little Abarth competently dealt with it. I dare say a winter-tyre equipped Cayman GTS would have coped just as well in today's road conditions. Provided of course I would have been happy exposing it to the salty roads.....

Brian

Jeff,

Thanks for posting two very informative links. Isn't technology wonderful!

Here was me thinking I was doing a good job using my brain powered "torque-vectoring" plus years of experience to romp up the snowy mountain passes yesterday. Now, battery electric vehicles such as the Taycan with their sophisticated electronics can appear to be be driven expertly by any lead-footed dumbo, no matter what the road conditions throw at them.

This takes the current ICE powered Porsche trick diffs and torque vectoring systems to a new mind-boggling level.

Almost makes me want to go back to driving an old classic car when driving skills really mattered, rather than have some software guru tapping away at algorithm settings to define the car's dynamic characteristics. Not much fun for the skilled driver when that takes hold.

Driving skills such as I have learnt will surely become a thing of the past, given the pace of driver-aid related electronic interventions.

I have lived during the best time of automotive development, circa 1960 - 2019. I am always thankful for that.

Brian

Brian,

At the risk of sounding like yet another grumpy old git, I'm inclined to agree with your last two sentences..!

However, there's no doubt that combined with infinitely better crash protection (compared with the 1960's), some of the new technologies have enhanced vehicle safety in an ever more congested landscape - ABS, collision avoidance and stability management systems perhaps? It's all part of the inevitable move towards autonomous vehicles I'm afraid, protecting drivers from their own ineptitude. By placing the responsibility and costs for driver and passenger safety squarely on the manufacturers, you have to assume that governments and regulators view this as being much cheaper and/or easier than investing in better driver training.

Jeff

Cayman R was a sweet spot, any one who owned one had a fun time.

I spent 5 years in them and did 35k miles, pretty perfect as a useable drivers car.

lets face it kids today cannot even tell the time on a normal watch !! let alone want to own or drive a manual.

Jeff

You make some interesting points. Laws and rules are usually reactive and always ‘lowest common denominator’. For example, the vast majority of people wouldn’t dream of using their mobile phone in a cinema, but because a few morons will, we then need a rule to cover it - and staff to enforce it. I’m not sure it is because putting the ‘safety onus’ on car manufacturers is cheaper (although it obviously is, as far a public expenditure is concerned); it is just more pragmatic. Most of the people doing the damage (i.e. causing road accidents) are pretty much unreachable (in terms of training) anyway. They either don’t realise what terrible/inconsiderate drivers they are, or they simply don’t care. Just bear in mind that there are still well over a million uninsured drivers out there. That number has actually fallen since a peak of about 2 million in 2005 (!), but the number in the ‘other’ category (insured drivers who really shouldn’t be on the roads) is rising. I happen to think (based on purely anecdotal evidence admittedly) that the percentage of bad drivers is increasing year on year, but even if you think it is steady at x% the number of cars on the road increases every year, so the number of idiots increases anyway.

The point is that your chances of encountering such an idiot on the road is increasing all the time, and we probably all have a lot more ‘near misses’ than we had 20-30 years ago.

Autonomous emergency braking, lane departure warnings and the like are generally annoying to good drivers, but it seems to be the price to be paid for trying to deal with the “problem minority”.

As you say, “protecting drivers from their own ineptitude”.

Getting back on topic, BEVs are obviously going to have all the latest electronic "driver aids" anyway (the trend is set!) but they may well be needed, as most people used to driving a regular family car are going to be very surprised by the instant throttle response and general high acceleration of electric cars. And all without any engine noise to give a clue to what’s happening - unless artificially produced of course. There was a letter in AutoExpress a few weeks ago from an elderly motorist saying that he “would love to get an electric car, but couldn’t they be made a bit slower?” Interesting times ahead!

Phil

Well the Taycan has driver switchable recuperation facility-how long before it could have Driver Age Selectability(DAS) controlled by Wi-Fi from neural implants as a condition of obtaining a driving licence?

Acronyms are a great part of technical car ownership these days.

Colin.

With nothing much happening lately, this is not my favourite time of the year, I turned to browsing the Design 911 website and came across this Fabspeed exhaust modification for the 718 2.5lt 4t. Photo shown below.

This radical exhaust remodel looks as if it would be VERY loud, too loud in fact to pass most sound tests at current track days. Priced at £2365 it is not the cheapest after-market exhaust for the 718, but it would most certainly change the acoustic characteristics of the 4-pot turbo. It is also half the weight, tipping the scales at 30kg instead of the 60kgs of the stock system. I would imagine this particular exhaust would only be applicable to pre-GPF 718's. The 200 cell sports CAT may also cause engine warning lights to illuminate on GPF equipped cars

Regular readers of my scribblings will know that I am a modifier at heart, and were I 20 or 30 years younger I would probably be going down the modifying route with my current 718 GTS as soon as the warranty expired. I expect to see some interestingly modified 718 Cayman S and GTS models appear at track events in the coming years. The full potential of the 718 engine and chassis is as yet untapped. If, as strongly rumoured, the 718 4t engine is abandoned in favour of an n/a flat-six, the 718 4t GTS may yet become a future classic. At least in the case of track day modifiers who care little about acoustics, and more about performance.

Brian

Brian,

Agreed that Fabspeed exhaust looks as though it will be rather loud with the deletion of the very big OEM silencers, although they do say: Worry not about drone as the volume level in the cabin is quite refined given the aggressive nature of the exhaust - this system is very livable on a daily driven car. The extra 10whp and 13lbf-ft of torque would be a bonus, and with a DME retune I'm sure the engine would be good for a reliable 440hp/400lbf-ft, probably more. Beyond 982 GT4 territory..!

I don't think that having invested so much time and money Porsche will abandon the F-4T engines. I'm sure that the 2.0L and 2.5L engines will continue in the base and S cars, with the GTS getting the F-6 n/a engine, and the use of ICEs in the mid-engined cars could well be short-lived anyway if - as rumoured - Porsche decide to take the BEV route with the replacement.

Jeff

Thank you for your interesting comments Jeff.

It's worth noting that the OE 718 F4t exhaust system featured in the diagram, if I am not mistaken, is relating to the pre-GPF 718 2.0lt exhaust with the single oblong tailpipe outlet. The exhaust system on my 2019 GPF equipped 718 GTS is different from that shown. The mufflers on my GTS exhaust are much smaller.

If I may voice a personal opinion based upon experience with my current 718 GTS. I would not consider an exchange to a 4.0 normally aspirated flat-6 GTS Cayman. The power delivery characteristics and big torque from 2000 rpm to 5000 rpm of the 2.5 4t PDK, suits my local driving terrain and previous experience with turbo engines admirably. Of course, I accept that I am in a minority view here. I have absolutely no doubts at all that the flat-6 4.0 n/a Cayman GTS will have an enthusiastic following, if only for the glorious acoustics. I just know which GTS I would choose for a spirited drive across the mountain passes in my locality.

Brian

Happy New Year 2020!

A new decade begins. We can only hope that all of us enthusiasts who enjoy owning our petrol cars and driving them for fun, can continue doing so at the close of this new decade in 2029. Driving our cars for leisure, touring, and motorsport purposes forms the bedrock of our passion for the Porsche brand. Long may that continue.

Whilst on the topic of driving for fun, on January 2nd I joined a group of like-minded Porsche owners for a drive-out day from Mains of Drum cafe near Aberdeen, to Cruden Bay on the north-east coast of Scotland. The weather forecast promised a dry, if overcast day, so I decided this to be an ideal opportunity for my 718 Cayman GTS to stretch it's legs following a 5 week lay-up in my garage. As I live 100 miles north of Aberdeen, I accepted the kind offer of overnight accommodation with friends prior to the event. Daylight is short in the northern latitudes, so it was still quite dark at 08.30 in the morning when we left for the breakfast meeting rendezvous at Mains of Drum near Peterculter. The assembled group comprised of approximately 15 Porsches, which was a very good turnout considering the festive time of year. In Scotland the Hogmanay celebrations can extend well into the new year. Perhaps our group were the first of the "Dry January" contingent.

My drive on January 1st to Aberdeen via the A939 Grantown, Tomintoul, Lecht, route, was far less eventful than the previous journey a month earlier in my Abarth. No snow was encountered this time, even on the highest summit at the Lecht ski centre, which this year must be having a dismal season with very little snow. My route to Aberdeen from the Lecht followed the A944 at Corgarff, then taking the A97 Logie Coldstone to Dinnet road before joining the A93 Royal Deeside road west of Aboyne. This is a great driver's route, taking in majestic scenery while flowing through scented pine forest woodland in a series of undulating, swooping curves. Pure Porsche country in fact, and a joy to experience.

The group drive ensemble left Mains of Drum via the recently opened Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route (AWPR). This new dual carriageway leaves the A90 south of Aberdeen at Stonehaven, heading north-westwards before rejoining the A90 again at Balmedie north of Aberdeen. The convoy of 15 Porsches with headlights ablaze made an impressive sight on the dual carriageway as we made our way north to Cruden Bay on the A975. A very cold, blustery wind greeted us upon arrival at Cruden Bay harbour. The local area is known as the Buchan coast, and the village of Cruden Bay is on one of the most windswept coastlines on the UK mainland. After parking at the harbour we saw two very hardy wind-surfers skimming the white-topped waves, seemingly oblivious to the freezing cold sea temperatures. Following some excellent photo opportunities and a chat amongst ourselves, I bade farewell and left the group behind at Cruden Bay to head north and west to my home near Inverness.

My chosen route was the A975/A90 to Peterhead, then the A950 westwards to New Pitsligo, to join the A98 Moray Coast road onwards to Inverness. Not having travelled this particular route for many years, I was grateful for the relatively commercial traffic-free conditions to enjoy the wonderful, undulating terrain with every conceivable type of corner on the winding route keeping a keen driver more than interested. The light traffic at this time of the year made the journey especially enjoyable. My round trip mileage for the whole two days was just under 250 miles with average fuel economy showing 27.1mpg.

Finally, 12 months have passed since I started this thread following the hand-over of my new 718 Cayman GTS at OPC Chester on January 3rd 2019. I have now completed 8,654 trouble-free miles in the car, including 3 exhilarating track days. The purpose behind my starting this thread was to relate my experiences and opinions of owning and driving this somewhat controversial version of the Cayman genre. Never once have I regretted my choice. The car is a brilliant performer on the roads I drive on, and is also a superb, comfortable, and immensely capable long distance touring machine. I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those, both contributors and readers, who have followed my exploits on this thread over the past 12 months. Never in my wildest expectations did I envisage having over 30,000 views 12 months later. In truth, for such a widely derided machine by more than a few enthusiasts and journalists, it is surprising that this thread has endured into 2020 and a new decade. Heartfelt thanks you all for your support and comments, whether you share my enthusiasm for the 718 GTS or not. Your attention has been much appreciated.

I have a few photos of my two-day trip to follow below.

Brian

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back