Menu toggle

My 2019 718 Cayman GTS PDK

lawrence quinn said:
The ackerman effect is much worse than a Boxster having had 2 and a 997. I have read (only) that air is a bit floaty.

This is why I am keen to test drive a new Gen 2 Macan GTS. Autocar magazine had a first drive review of the new Macan GTS on 07-02-20 and found it superb in the handling department albeit a bit skippy on bumpy surfaced corners. Not sure whether this was in Normal, Sport, or Sport Plus modes.

Porsche have been tweaking the ECU mapping on the PDK and PASM settings on the Gen 2 Macan. Another incremental improvement over the Gen 1 Macan GTS. apparently.

The Ackerman geometry will indeed differ on the Macan compared to Boxster and Caymans. I'll be interested to compare this when ever I see the new Macan in the flesh. I shall also check out the air suspension for any signs of "floaty" behaviour.

I'm looking forward to my test drive, hopefully soon, and will report back in due course.

Brian

Ray,

Thanks for posting that very concise explanation of the Ackerman principal. I know it all sounds like rocket science to most, but the theory is understandable to anyone who has experimented with toe and camber settings in motorsport. When I was competing in hillclimb championships with my racing Stiletto I used to dial-in a small amount of toe-out on the front axle on hills with hairpin bends or tight radius corners. I found this helped the car to turn-in better and reduce understeer.

I have always set up my Caymans with front zero toe, that is absolutely parallel front wheels when in the straight ahead position. All car manufacturers including Porsche will recommend setting the front axle toe with a few minutes of toe-in. This assures an understeering characteristic when cornering, considered safer for most drivers, and helps counter any tram-lining effect in the straight ahead steering position. Most drivers prefer this, a few like myself, enjoy a more pointy car.

Brian

Yes, I thought he made a decent stab at explaining the Ackerman principle in conjunction with tyre slip angle effects, although there are plenty of other even more detailed explanations online, in particular with reference to race car set-ups.

The steering, suspension and electronic stability set-up on modern cars is very much a compromise designed to give fundamentally sure-footed, safe handling characteristics in the hands of the average driver for the majority of road conditions. Fortunately there's usually sufficient adjustabilty to allow the enthusiastic driver to modify the set-up to meet their individual requirements.

You have to remember that Ackerman origins were in the early 19th century when it was invented by a German carriage builder - I doubt that he considered tyre slip angles on those wooden wheels fitted with solid narrow tyres..! [;)]

Jeff

Whilst touching on the topic of the historical evolution of the motor car, over the winter I have been re-reading a very interesting and informative book entitled "Power and Speed" first published in September 1938 by Temple Press. This book belonged to my late father who's 18th birthday was in 1938. I guess this book probably kicked-off my dad's interest in motorsport, which was in due course passed on to me.

For your interest I copy below part of the Foreword to Power and Speed which makes interesting reading in the context of car ownership and driving as it applies today. I particularly refer to the 4th paragraph which looks forward to "a less antagonistic attitude in outlook to the modern forms of transport".

This foreword was written in 1938. It proves the truth in the old saying, "There's nothing new under the sun".

Brian

Getting back to the subject of this thread, Brian’s experiences with his new 718 GTS, and musing on the subject of tyres and how Brian was so keen to have Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres on his car rather than the Pirelli P -Zero.

Following on from his experience with his previous 718S, Brian has reinforced the oft received wisdom that the Michelin PS4S is a much superior tyre to the Pirelli P-Zero.

However is it not interesting that the GTS4.0 cars for the journalists to drive at the recent launch in Portugal were all shod with P-Zeros? (Presumably N1)

Surely Porsche would want the new car perform as well as possible, why send it out to be reviewed on inferior tyres?

Now I am not for one moment doubting Brian’s experience with these tyres, nor that of other people who have also found the PS4S N0 to be better than the P-Zero N1.

But, any thoughts?

Graham,

I'm sure that Brian will be able to remind us but I'm not sure that Michelin PS4S N-rated tyres are actually available for the 20" wheels fitted to the GTS?

Jeff

Edit: I've just checked on Backcircles and note that they are available as N0 for the GTS. It always appears to be a lottery as to which tyres are fitted at the factory, and unfortunately purchasers are unable to spec which tyre is fitted. I now seem to recall that Brian got his supplying dealer to swap the car to Michelin when it arrived on Pirelli.

Despite all the naysayers, as you say Graham I'm sure that the Pirelli tyre meets all the Porsche criteria in terms of ride, handling, wear and longevity?

Jeff

Michelin PS4S N0 tyres, in my experience out-perform the Pirelli P-Zero N1 which were factory fitted to my 718 Cayman S on identical 20" Carrera Sport alloys as fitted to my current GTS. It's the wet weather track grip that puts the PS4S N0 well ahead of the P-Zeros. The dry track performance of the Michelins is also superior in the progression to extremis. However, as with the P–Zeros, the PS4S N0 also "go off" after 3 hot laps. That is where the Cup 2's come into their own offering consistency of grip for a longer period of hot laps.

For general public road use, both the P–Zero N1 and the PS4S N0 provide excellent performance in all road conditions in my experience, with the Michelins providing better ultimate grip on wet roads.

My current GTS came with P-Zero N1's factory fitted. I requested my OPC to swap them for Michelin PS4S N0's on delivery at extra cost. In my case £500.

Brian

To follow-on from my previous post, the tyre brand fitted at the factory is a complete lucky dip. It all depends upon which tyre supplier happens to have the "just-in-time" production line contract at the time of build. When I specced my GTS I made a special plea to my OPC to inform the factory that my preference was for Michelin tyres to be fitted during the build. A note came back saying "request void, refer to UK importer".

I wouldn't read too much into the tyre brand fitted to launch cars for the promo videos. These are always glossy, frothy affairs, aimed at presentation more than content. What I would place more emphasis on is, the case of UK launch of the 982 GT4 4.0 models at Knockhill circuit were all equipped with Michelin Cup 2 tyres. Not a Dunlop in sight. Lap times were being posted by non other than Walter Rohrl. No doubt "The Walter" had some input regarding the tyres for this particular test.

Brian

The End of an Era - 718 Cayman GTS to Macan SUV

The past week has brought dramatic developments regarding on-going enquiries towards moving to a new build Macan GTS as my daily driver and touring car. My reasoning behind this dramatic move has already been posted earlier. I decided it’s now time to do this.

With an unexpectedly surprising outcome this past week, I can now report that negotiations have successfully concluded with OPC Chester regarding part-exchanging both my Abarth 595 Competizione, and my 718 Cayman GTS PDK, for a new individual spec 2020 Macan Turbo 2.9 twin-turbo V6.

While avoiding going into the confidential details of the deal, what I can say is, OPC Chester came up with a stunningly attractive alternative offer. This provided a new build individual spec Macan Turbo with delivery predicted for the month of June. The Macan GTS spec and colour choice previously chosen was transferred across to the Turbo, which includes several expensive options already included as standard equipment on the flagship model. While the Turbo Macan was undoubtedly more expensive, the enhanced terms offered to me by OPC Chester were simply too compelling to turn down. This offer also removed the worry of further falls in the residual values of my current cars.

A date has now been fixed later in March for a driver to be despatched from Chester to collect my Cayman GTS. Meanwhile I retain the Abarth until the handover date of my Macan Turbo. By the way, the rumours of 718 Cayman GTS residuals dropping to floor are not supported in my experience. Values of the F4 GTS are holding up well. I wouldn’t be surprised if a buyer is already lined up. Time will tell. My car is probably one of the best of its type.

This radical change of vehicle from sports coupe to SUV marks the end of an era, going back over 12 years to 2008 when I took delivery of my first 987.1 Cayman 2.7 5 speed manual from OPC Edinburgh. Since that memorable day, I have only joy and admiration to express from owning all 5 of my Caymans. I have done everything possible with all of them, on both road and track, and through all four seasons. I’ve even added to my motorsport trophy collection late in life in the autumn of my years.

For my driving tastes, the Cayman is by far the best sports coupe. With a sublimely balanced chassis, great engines, combined with daily-driving practicality, makes the Cayman model the best Porsche of all. If I have one regret, it is that Porsche deliberately held back the performance of the Cayman range in deference to the 911, a philosophy which still prevails to the present day. When I started out with the Cayman 2.7 the car was often referred to as the “poor man’s Porsche”, and still is in some of the more Ultra 911 quarters. Nothing could be further from the truth. Choosing a Cayman is not all about affordability. Some drivers prefer the mid-engine chassis balance and daily practicality of the Cayman platform.

So, the deed is now done. I started out looking for a Macan GTS and ended up with a Macan Turbo. The deposit has now been paid, the spec locked down, and factory order placed. Patience is the name of the game now, whilst looking forward to my forthcoming car tour in July to the west country shires and Wales.

I’ll not deny it will be a big change of driving experience for me coming from the scalpel sharp agility of the 718 Cayman GTS to the more effortless progress of the Macan Turbo. It’s not that the Turbo is lacking sporting credentials, this is after all said and done, the flagship of the Macan range and the class leader of the sports SUV’s. The new 2020 Macan Turbo has benefitted from a number of upgrades. A new 2.9 twin turbo V6 engine replaces the previous 3.6 lump with a 40bhp power increase raising the poke to a useful 440bhp. Torque is a massive tractor-pulling 550Nm with a table mountain profile from 1800 - 5600rpm. Revised mapping of the PASM suspension settings, including PDK Sport and Sport Plus include revised gear change thresholds and rapid-fire gear changes. This will also be my first experience of the new tungsten carbide cast iron brakes, a sort of half-way house to the full ceramic brakes option. Higher pad friction is claimed along with the additional bonus of 90% less brake dust. New aluminium suspension castings, including the revamping of the air suspension system, contributes to substantial incremental performance and handling gains over previous models. Porsche says the new Macan Turbo is more of a sports saloon than an SUV. We shall see. I’m looking forward to finding out if this statement is true.

For all of my life I have always been receptive and adaptable to change. This Cayman to Macan SUV experience will be no different. I am confident that I’ll adapt very quickly to my new car choice. I am also confident that this Macan Turbo will be ideally suited for the mountain roads in my north Highlands locality.

Whoever becomes the next owner of my Guards Red 718 Cayman GTS PDK will be getting an absolute corker of a car. I am hoping it will be someone who will use it on track and possibly consider modifying the car for even greater dynamic performance. All the basics are there already and the potential is mouth-watering. Had my personal circumstances been different, this is the route I would have chosen for myself.

Finally, I forgot to mention my choice of colour for the Macan Turbo is Sapphire blue with GT Silver 21” Sport Classic wheels. The tyres unfortunately, will be the usual factory lottery. Naturally I’m hoping for Michelins.

I’ll be closing my reports on this thread following the departure of my 718 Cayman GTS in a couple of weeks. I’ll be starting a new thread on the Macan section in due course. New car, new beginning.

Brian

And Porsche will be very happy to have your engagement in the area where they make the most money :)

(But it does help them pay the development costs of their fab sports cars !!)

That’s exciting news Brian, although do you feel a touch of sadness at having to say goodbye to your last and greatest Cayman a little earlier than planned?

it will be very interesting to read your observations and experiences with the Macan Turbo. I suspect hat you might well find point to point journey times being shorter in the Macan than the Cayman because of the improved visibility. It will be a fascinating journey no doubt.

That's an interesting development Brian, and I'm sure that the Mac Turbo will prove to be an interesting and exciting drive ... if a little different from your Cayman experiences. Those on here I'm sure will be heading over to the Macan forum on occasions to follow your exploits.

It sounds as though Chester are looking after you very well, which is just as it should be from a well-established premier vehicle supplier looking after a valued customer.

Jeff

ChrisW said:
And Porsche will be very happy to have your engagement in the area where they make the most money :)

(But it does help them pay the development costs of their fab sports cars !!)

Chris,

Yes, my acceptance of the compelling Macan Turbo deal offered by Porsche Centre Chester will please the bean counters no doubt about that. I am also very happy to contribute in some small way towards the development of their sports cars.[;)]

My decision to move on from the Cayman at this time is driven by a pragmatic and proactive approach to my personal circumstances. In my head and heart I shall miss the Cayman beyond words, but that will not mean I shall abandon my love of driving. I shall carry forward to my new Macan Turbo all the driving experience and car control skills I have applied to the Cayman during these past 12 years. I happen to live in a part of Scotland that enjoys some of the best driving roads in Europe. It will be my objective to discover just how capable a touring car the Macan Turbo turns out to be. For sure it will be a very different kettle of fish compared to my agile and planted Cayman GTS, but I'm sure given a few months I shall master it in the same way as before.

Brian

Hi Brian,

I'm sure you will updating everyone on you new acquisition, but just a note to say thanks for your Cayman blog, which, as a recent joiner to the Boxster/ Cayman forum I have followed with great interest.

Also as a convert to the roads in your area I have been somewhat envious ! I hope to return again this year.

Alistair

Hi Brian

I’m pondering......I have base 718 Cayman, and have been considering trading In for a second hand S or GTS. I’m not intending to use the car on track, in fact my mileage is very low at the moment, 4K in 2 years, although I’m hoping/expecting it to increase.

i just wondered if there is a material difference on the road between the S and the GTS....

Cheers

Paul

Best wishes with the move Brian. Love the Sapphire Blue on my 981 :)

Its not the hardest so definitely get the paint protection again.

Look forward to the new story !

PHB1969 said:
Hi Brian

I’m pondering......I have base 718 Cayman, and have been considering trading In for a second hand S or GTS. I’m not intending to use the car on track, in fact my mileage is very low at the moment, 4K in 2 years, although I’m hoping/expecting it to increase.

i just wondered if there is a material difference on the road between the S and the GTS....

Cheers

Paul

Paul,

My previous 718 Cayman S PDK had the same chassis spec, wheels, and tyres as my current GTS, so I had a true back-to-back comparison between the two models.

Driving on my local public roads, the difference between the two cars was not a significant amount. However, I would say that there were incremental improvements with the GTS in the steering, suspension dampening, and planted feel of the handling. It should also be remembered that my GTS has PCCB, which may contribute to the steering feel and suspension dampening by way of a considerable reduction in unsprung weight at each corner.

Regarding performance differences between the two cars, the GTS has a slight edge in throttle responses and a more acute feeling of urgency when pressing-on point to point. Also worth noting is, my GTS has the Gasoline Particulate Filter fitted resulting in revised ECU mapping and exhaust system refinements. The engine and exhaust sounds of the GTS are also slightly different compared to my previous S. "Less farty" was how one particular magazine scribe reported it. Probably true enough.

On the track the performance difference between the two cars is more evident. Again, the PCCB accounts for some of this, but the extra urge from the slightly increased power and torque from the GTS engine seems to be greater than the meagre values on paper.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

Brian

I have had the opportunity to spend a bit of time with both 718S and 718GTS and can concur with Brian’s assessment of the improvements in the chassis. In particular the steering has been improved in the GTS over the S. Both models I drove had the standard iron brakes so don’t think that the Brian’s improvements are solely due to his ceramic brakes, although these would of course produce benefits due to the unsprung weight.

To me, the GTS simply felt a bit more alive, more connected than the 718S did. I also thought the noise of the GPF car was preferable especially with sport exhaust disengaged.

If I was making your choice I would definitely look for a GTS.

Indeed I believe Porsche Chester will have an excellent example for sale in a few weeks time.

Thanks Brian & Wollemi. Do you happen to know when the GPF came in please? Am I right in thinking a GPF equipped model would be better than a non GPF model With respect to ecu map and sound. Thank you.

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back