Menu toggle

My 2019 718 Cayman GTS PDK

It's got to be a Macan GTS with PDK & Scottish maps & the new to be launched Autonomous extra.:ROFLMAO:

Really like the trophy ,Brian-what a way to go!!

vitesse said:
It's got to be a Macan GTS with PDK & Scottish maps & the new to be launched Autonomous extra.:ROFLMAO:

Bullseye Colin!

I'll not prolong the tease any longer, especially having now been rumbled regarding the model I have in mind. Let me say first of all that I never imagined I would ever own a Macan or any SUV for that matter. The idea began to take hold following a period of reflection on deciding what to do about changing my daily driver Abarth. After discounting small BEV's due to range and charging infrastructure issues, I looked at getting another Abarth with the paddle-shift auto gearbox. They are expensive little beasts bought new, over £25k, so my thoughts were directed towards trading both my cars in exchange for one multipurpose vehicle.

The Macan GTS first entered my thoughts after reading rave reviews online and in the motoring press regarding the new recently launched Gen 2 version. A few visits to the Porsche configurator got me interested in exploring this option more fully. I contacted Porsche Chester regarding availability on the new Macan which revealed that all current allocations were spoken for, with a lengthy waiting list for future build slots. Not what I wanted to hear, but I decided to persevere and carry on with my investigations. Porsche Chester are meantime working on a ball-park figure regarding the combined trade-in values of my two cars and I expect to receive a figure from them shortly. I have already spoken with my local Abarth dealership to let them know my car is for sale, in the off-chance of my finding a local buyer.

My rationale for choosing the Macan GTS has been the subject of much thought and soul-searching. I'll not deny that the advent of the new Cayman GTS 4.0 hastened my decision to moving-on my 718 CGTS sooner rather than later, purely on the grounds of the anticipated effect on residual values on the F4t models. It had always been my intention to keep the 718 CGTS for a maximum of two years, so by the time I am probably offered a Macan GTS build slot my two years of ownership will be up.

I'm trying very hard not to sound too defensive here, but it became blindingly obvious that, given my individual circumstances, one day sooner or later I would have to give up owning a two-seater sports car. I've owned five Caymans over a period of twelve years and done everything I ever wanted to do with them. I also wanted to maintain my connection to the Porsche brand and more importantly, the Porsche community from which I derive a great deal of satisfaction and joy, including establishing many rewarding friendships with other Porsche owners across the whole of the UK.

For me, owning a Porsche Macan GTS would serve all of my current requirements for a car. It has all the practicalities for daily driving, combined with a sporting chassis and enough poke to keep a keen driver like myself interested. The Macan also has the advantage that it will carry my e-bike in the luggage hold thus enabling me to fully exploit the joys of cycling in the more remote regions of the Highlands. As for the fuel consumption of the twin-turbo 2.9 V6, I expect it not to be any different to my existing 718 CGTS which regularly records 24 - 26mpg on cross country routes. The footprint of the Macan GTS is not too large for the narrow rural roads I frequent and I have already done the measurements to ensure it fits into my garage.

You will not be surprised to hear that I have already settled on a spec and colour. Briefly, Sapphire Blue, air suspension, 21" wheels, sport chrono, torque vectoring, power steering plus, panoramic sun-roof and alcantara trim. All that remains is to settle a deal, pay a deposit, acquire a build slot, hopefully get the car early in Q4.

Meantime I shall revel in the ownership of my 718 CGTS for as many months of 2020 as is possible, and I shall enjoy each and every mile. The end of an era begins.

Brian

Brian,

The Macan register is well run with an active RS in Mike Allen who I first met a few years ago on a factory tour when he was driving his 997.2 GT3. I believe he still maintains a GT3 in his fleet and is a regular attendee on Club track days.

Ralph

Brian,

Like Colin, I had you down for a Macan GTS. Knowing your aversion to the rear engined sports cars, I couldn't see you either swanning around the (sometimes) narrow Highland roads in a lardy Panamera or chancing range anxiety in a Taycan, so it was the obvious Porsche-stable alternative. I'm sure that it'll be a worthy dual-purpose vehicle and will suit your needs very well and as Ralph says, Mike Allen is an enthusiastic Porsche owner and runs a very active Macan Register.

We'll be sad to lose your input on this forum, but no doubt our loss will be the Macan forum's gain. However I'm sure sure that we'll still be hearing from you here on occasions, and you've still got ample time to entertain us with your spring and summer Cayman activities.

Hope your dealings with PC Chester go smoothly.

Jeff

Brian_Innes said:
vitesse said:

Bullseye Colin!

I'll not prolong the tease any longer, especially having now been rumbled regarding the model I have in mind. Let me say first of all that I never imagined I would ever own a Macan or any SUV for that matter. The idea began to take hold following a period of reflection on deciding what to do about changing my daily driver Abarth. After discounting small BEV's due to range and charging infrastructure issues, I looked at getting another Abarth with the paddle-shift auto gearbox. They are expensive little beasts bought new, over £25k, so my thoughts were directed towards trading both my cars in exchange for one multipurpose vehicle.

The Macan GTS first entered my thoughts after reading rave reviews online and in the motoring press regarding the new recently launched Gen 2 version. A few visits to the Porsche configurator got me interested in exploring this option more fully. I contacted Porsche Chester regarding availability on the new Macan which revealed that all current allocations were spoken for, with a lengthy waiting list for future build slots. Not what I wanted to hear, but I decided to persevere and carry on with my investigations. Porsche Chester are meantime working on a ball-park figure regarding the combined trade-in values of my two cars and I expect to receive a figure from them shortly. I have already spoken with my local Abarth dealership to let them know my car is for sale, in the off-chance of my finding a local buyer.

My rationale for choosing the Macan GTS has been the subject of much thought and soul-searching. I'll not deny that the advent of the new Cayman GTS 4.0 hastened my decision to moving-on my 718 CGTS sooner rather than later, purely on the grounds of the anticipated effect on residual values on the F4t models. It had always been my intention to keep the 718 CGTS for a maximum of two years, so by the time I am probably offered a Macan GTS build slot my two years of ownership will be up.

I'm trying very hard not to sound too defensive here, but it became blindingly obvious that, given my individual circumstances, one day sooner or later I would have to give up owning a two-seater sports car. I've owned five Caymans over a period of twelve years and done everything I ever wanted to do with them. I also wanted to maintain my connection to the Porsche brand and more importantly, the Porsche community from which I derive a great deal of satisfaction and joy, including establishing many rewarding friendships with other Porsche owners across the whole of the UK.

For me, owning a Porsche Macan GTS would serve all of my current requirements for a car. It has all the practicalities for daily driving, combined with a sporting chassis and enough poke to keep a keen driver like myself interested. The Macan also has the advantage that it will carry my e-bike in the luggage hold thus enabling me to fully exploit the joys of cycling in the more remote regions of the Highlands. As for the fuel consumption of the twin-turbo 2.9 V6, I expect it not to be any different to my existing 718 CGTS which regularly records 24 - 26mpg on cross country routes. The footprint of the Macan GTS is not too large for the narrow rural roads I frequent and I have already done the measurements to ensure it fits into my garage.

You will not be surprised to hear that I have already settled on a spec and colour. Briefly, Sapphire Blue, air suspension, 21" wheels, sport chrono, torque vectoring, power steering plus, panoramic sun-roof and alcantara trim. All that remains is to settle a deal, pay a deposit, acquire a build slot, hopefully get the car early in Q4.

Meantime I shall revel in the ownership of my 718 CGTS for as many months of 2020 as is possible, and I shall enjoy each and every mile. The end of an era begins.

Brian

Wow - I did not see that coming!

I have been following and thoroughly enjoying your 718 ownership journey from the very beginning Brian and think that you have made a cracking choice for your next Porsche - the GTS spec is awesome and I think Sapphire Blue really suits the Macan.

As your Cayman ownership chapter comes to a close, now is the time to squeeze every last drop of enjoyment and excitement out of your 718 - and I am sure you will be doing just that, every mile a smile! [:)]

Tony

Thank you Jeff, Ralph, and Tony.

I shall not be deserting the Cayman section of the forum completely. I'll continue to offer my twopence-worth on Cayman topics for a while yet.

Over the past 12 years I have driven quite a few 911 models on both road and track, and delightful and powerful as they are, they are just too lardy a sports coupe for my tastes. The lack of hatchback convenience, the useless rear seats, and the contortions necessary to clean the back window, rule it out for me.

I've still to confirm a deal on a new build Macan. Today Porsche Chester sent me an email to say they were working on a valuation for both my cars and will get back to me shortly. This will be the key to unlocking progress on the Macan GTS.

Brian

Changing to a Macan GTS? Just when I had you down as the next Cayman RS :)

I hope your negotiations go to plan, and blue is the best colour!

Well, well, I thought I’d never see the day Brian, good for you! It must have been an agonising decision, but sounds like the right one. As you know I’ve ping ponged around this issue myself, but keep coming back to the Cayman. Let me know when your in Chester OPC and I’ll see if I can drop by. Chester will be getting a great car back from you, make sure they see you right.

Diane

Diane,

I'd never thought I'd see the day I owned an SUV either! I'm still awaiting a valuation from Chester. It's not a done deal yet.

Rest assured, I'll not be fobbed off with a derisory offer for my cars.

Andrew,

Under normal health related circumstances, the forthcoming 982 Cayman RS PDK would have been a shoe-in for me, assuming I would have been anywhere near the pecking order by being offered one! Such a car needs to be tracked to enjoy and exploit its performance potential. Unfortunately that ship has already sailed for me.

Brian

Brian_Innes said:
Due to a number of compelling reasons, I have now decided to cancel my forthcoming trip to Oulton Park RS day, and also the visit to OPC Chester scheduled for the beginning of March. This has not been an easy decision to make. There remains however, the possibility of a trip to OPC Chester sometime in April. I'm keeping my cards close to my chest for the present for reasons which will become apparent in due course.

All I'll say is, there may possibly be a change of Porsche vehicle in prospect in the not too distant future.

On a happier note, I was both surprised and honoured to receive the gift of a trophy from friends on the occasion of my recent birthday in January. The trophy appropriately engraved, was in recognition of my personal best lap time at Knockhill circuit last August. The friend, an old school pal, was a passenger with me in my GTS on the day, and the memorable experience prompted this trophy shown below in recognition of my efforts. It made my day.......

Brian

Congratulations Brian !

Well earn and a wonderful memory :)

Well Brian I understand your reasons for moving on but I’m sure the mid-engined community is glad to hear it's not just yet, and hopefully you you will still continue with your wonderfully written, informative and entertaining accounts of your life with your cars.

Your sapphire blue Macan will look beautiful, and will undoubtedly be great fun and rewarding to drive.

Good luck with everything

Graham

Brian I have a sapphire blue Macan S gen 2. I specced 21" wheels but put on 18" winter wheels last week. What a transformation. With the 21's the Ackerman suspension make it very jerky when moving off and turning, eg turning right. I had the OPC check the car but they said they all do that on 21's. I have PASM but not Air. Try all wheel sizes before you buy.

Interesting point Lawrence.

My other car is also an SUV but dare i say a proper off road machine (Land Rover Discovery 4), and yes it does actually go off tarmac quite often, and one of the joys I experienced when first getting it was the ability to drive over virtually any surface, pot hole, verge, kerb or otherwise without any fear of damage. A large part of that is undoubtedly the 55 section tyres on 19” wheels (which are the smallest wheels that will fit a Disco 4). If low profile tyres were fitted then an awful lot more caution would be needed.

There is is no doubt that the handling of the Macan is miraculous for a SUV. Conversely if you want to learn all about weight transfer in cornering attempting to drive a Disco 4 swiftly is worth hours of tuition at a race school!

What would be interesting to know is how much of the Macan’s ability is attributable to the excellence of the engineering, and who much due to the low profile tyres? How much do you lose by fitting higher profile tyres?

Graham,

The F/R tyre sizes for the latest Macan are:

[ul][*]235/60R18 and 255/55R18[*]235/55R19 and 255/50R19[*]265/45R20 and 295/40R19[*]265/40R21 and 295/35R21[/ul]You can see that there's a significant difference in profile between the 18" and 21" wheels meaning that tyre sidewalls with the 21" wheels will be substantially stiffer in compression and laterally than those with the 18" wheels. This will translate into much sharper responses to steering inputs at the expense ride comfort and tyre/road noise. The increased lateral stiffness will contribute to the "jerkiness" which Lawrence has mentioned as the tyres skip across the road surface.

The Macan GTS comes with 20" wheels as standard, so I wouldn't think that there'd be a huge difference in the ride and handling characteristics if 21" wheels are optioned since I would imagine that the majority of chassis development was conducted using 20" wheels.

As always, you very rarely get something for nothing..!

Jeff

Thank you Jeff, that's really interesting. It's not merely idle curiosity, after having several Macans as loan cars I have toyed with the idea of replacing the Disco with one, but I would still want to be able to do some modest green laning with it.

When we last had one I did ask at the OPC when picking it up whether they would have any objection s to my taking out on a green lane and they said they were quite happy, when it came down to it I took one look at the 40/35 profile tyre and polished wheels and decided that it would be perhaps pushing their good nature too far.

I see that both 18" and 19" wheels take tyre profiles which will allow a reasonable sidewall height, although the different tyre size front to rear precludes a full size spare and using a space saver off road is not entirely wise. I guess Porsche don't expect anyone to actually take their Macan off tarmac.

I should have to find out about tyre sizes for the earlier Macan models as I wouldn't be in a position to be a new one. I wonder if there are any N-rated proper All Terrain tyres. (I think I can guess the answer!)

Graham,

Here's a link to Macan tyre sizes dating back to 2015. It doesn't look as though the tyre sizes have changed in the past 5-years:

https://tiresize.com/tires/Porsche/Macan/

I doubt that many Macan owners take their cars off-road, most of them being used as "Chelsea Tractors" on the school runs. The higher tyre profile with 18" wheels would be better for light off-road use, but I reckon that you'd be much better off sticking with the Disco.

Just a final thought - at least there should be much less chance of kerbing with the 18" wheels..!

Jeff

Thanks to all for the interesting info on wheel and tyre sizes in respect of the Macan GTS.

As for the tyres skipping across the tarmac as described by Lawrence, this is a well known topic to Boxster and Cayman owners. Through my history of Cayman ownership, with wheel sizes ranging from 18" to 20", all have experienced wheel crabbing to a greater or lesser extent. Progressively lower ride heights as the models have evolved, and attention to front wheel camber and toe can greatly reduce this annoying feature. In my experience wheel sizes are not the main cause, it is more to do with ride height and front axle geometry. On my current car the Michelin PS4S N0 tyre sidewalls are particularly rigid, yet I experience no crabbing effect at all.

I am hoping to have the opportunity to drive a demonstrator Macan GTS with the 20" wheels and air suspension, which can be adjusted to a further drop of -10mm in ride height over the standard GTS -15mm lower. giving a total of -25mm lower ride height compared to a bog-standard Macan.

As a "chassis man' I place my emphasis on sporting handling over wafting comfort. Even so, I am very much looking forward to driving a Gen 2 Macan GTS with the air suspension option, just to see for myself if it is as good as the motoring journalists say it is.

Brian

Following on from the above topic of Michelin PS4S N0 tyres and sidewall rigidity.

The photo below from last August at Knockhill illustrates perfectly how the PS4S N0 retains its sidewall support even when under load.

Cresting Clarks Corner, Knockhill 17-08-19.

Brian

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back