Menu toggle

My 2019 718 Cayman GTS PDK

3 - Front Grills fitted. (Work in Progress)

Last weekend I tackled the job of fitting the Zunsport front radiator grills. The grill set for the 718 Cayman GTS involves 5 component parts.

2 - grills for the outer large apertures.

2 - letterbox grills for the lower outer apertures.

1 - central radiator grill.

I tackled the fitting of the larger central grill first as this radiator had sustained most of the stone impacts. Following the clear instructions and watching accompanying video clip, the fitting was easy. It took no more than 5 minutes. Likewise the lower outer letterbox grills were easy to fit. It is easier to fit these small grills before the larger outer grills, as enables access from above to locate the retaining clip.

When it came to fitting the larger outer grills I had to admit defeat. I found this to be a very tricky operation as it required a high degree of delicate yet forceful manipulation of the grill, combined with a level of finger dexterity which at the time I just could not succeed in doing. The combination of the dexterity impairment of my right hand fingers and my other hand becoming fatigued from fitting the previous 3 grills, I was forced to abandon the job for the time being. I shall return to have another go at fitting the outer grills at another time soon. The upside is, I can clean out the pine needles very easily from the outer radiator intakes at the present.

A couple of photos follow for your interest.

Brian

Hats off for giving it a try Brian - the fitment so far looks very neat and the grilles nicely complement your shiny black bits. Maybe you can solicit some assistance for the remaining grilles.

Those rads really are very vulnerable - even more so than the previous 987 and 981-series cars. Maybe cooling is more of an issue with the turbocharged engine but there's still no excuse for not providing a degree of protection.

Jeff

Rollin' up the miles.

With such beautiful weather this week I seized the moment and headed west into the hills to complete the running-in process before my first track day on March 8th at Oulton Park.

The route I chose this time took me west to Achnasheen, Eilean Donan Castle, and Kintail, returning via Invermoriston and Loch Ness. The tourist route roads are gratefully empty at this time of the year, and driving in such scenic beauty on wonderful flowing roads in was pure joy. The route was a mixture of wide, EU Funded fast flowing, excellent asphalt surfaced roads, interspersed with a few single track sections with passing places. It is not unusual to encounter free roaming sheep on this route, but on this occasion I twice came across small herds of Angora goats wandering and grazing at the roadside. You don't want a collision with one of them. Their fearsome horns would do significant damage to Porsche bodywork and their frames are more bulky than those of sheep. I gave them a very wide berth.

With 1600 miles up my car is settling-in very nicely following the 4 - wheel alignment geometry settings of last week. I am really beginning to feel at one with this car, having it now set up exactly to my liking. I am also extending the rev range through the gears, and have taken it to the 7500rpm red line in 2nd gear, on a couple of occasions, just to check the upshift point in "D" Sport mode. The 718 GTS is certainly a nippy beast, and it accelerates to the redline with a tad more urgency than my previous 718 CS. In normal public road driving conditions there is not much in it between the two cars performance-wise, but when road conditions allow, and you really gun it, the GTS is definitely the faster car. I'm expecting the difference in performance between the two models to be more pronounced under track driving conditions. More will be revealed following Oulton Park in 10 days time.

Now, to parody the film title of fellow Nairn resident, the Hollywood star Tilda Swinton, I want to talk about the steering. Much has been written about the change from hydraulic to electric power steering (EPS). Not all of it complimentary. Porsche's first attempt with EPS on the 981 was less than fantastic. This was one of the reasons I have never owned a 981. My best steering Cayman was undoubtably my sublime Cayman R. Until now that is. This 2019 718 CGTS, with this spec, these geometry settings, and shod with Michelin PS4S N0 tyres, is the best steering Cayman I have owned period. Especially when in Sport and Sport Plus modes, the steering is absolutely scalpel sharp and precision accurate to the millimetre. The steering wheel rim fizzes with road surface feedback, just as the superb CR steering did. Good though it was, I couldn't say that about my previous 718 CS. What makes the steering better than the CR on the roads I drive on, is that the 718 GTS steering rack ratio is not only 10% quicker, but also the steering wheel diameter is smaller. Porsche have also clearly worked on the steering map of the new 718 GTS. I never thought I would see the day when EPS would improve upon the hydraulic assistance of the Cayman R. That day has now arrived. Absolutely no BS. Just my honest opinion following extensive experience with 4 previous Caymans including the CR, totalling around 100,000 miles. Porsche have definitely done their homework on refining the EPS compared to the early day "Beta" versions.

To sum up so far. The 2019 718 Cayman GTS as I have it, is an astonishingly capable touring car. It has Grace, Space, and Pace by the bucket load. Is it worth the £9k premium over the CS? I would say so, but only if you are driving it on roads and tracks where the performance advantages of the GTS can be exploited to the full. On normal A to B road driving, there is not much between the two cars in accelerative performance. It's only when you get the GTS onto roads that follow the contours of the land, with steep hills, hairpin bends, rising crests and compression dips, that the difference really starts to show.

Fast forward to next week, it's looking like this particular 718 CGTS of mine may turn out to be a formidable and very accomplished track performer. My previous CR was such a car. It could be that this GTS is the honourable successor to that iconic driver's machine. We shall soon see.

I'll leave you with a couple of photos from my day out in the hills and lochs of the Highlands.

Brian

Happy the man , it must feel like a dream !

Impressive news on the GTS steering feel - much as i love the sound of my 981 six ,

if the 4 pot 718 gts has steering/feedback like my 987 Spyder i would swop in a heartbeat !

Brian it looks like you've got the life of Riley up there [8D]

I'm jealous. I've been sat at work in the office all day staring out the window annoyingly at the lovely blue sky and glorious weather that we're having, which I naturally add would be the perfect recipe for a nice day out in the Porsche.

Rain predicted for the weekend, sods law [:(]

I have to agree my 718BGTS is a step up over the 981BGTS I had in every respect with the exception of the noise, the 718 has more torque and pulls and pulls but its not quite the same as a N/A engine where you need to rev it out to make it go, the 981 is slower but maybe more rewarding possible the same can be said for the 987. I do think todays cars are just too fast and you are at licence losing speeds for them to come alive my old 991 GT3 was an example, it generally means you need to go on track to really enjoy the car. Modern tech and development does not necessarily mean more enjoyment. Guess I'm now just an old chap with memories.

geoff lane said:
I have to agree my 718BGTS is a step up over the 981BGTS I had in every respect with the exception of the noise, the 718 has more torque and pulls and pulls but its not quite the same as a N/A engine where you need to rev it out to make it go, the 981 is slower but maybe more rewarding possible the same can be said for the 987. I do think todays cars are just too fast and you are at licence losing speeds for them to come alive my old 991 GT3 was an example, it generally means you need to go on track to really enjoy the car. Modern tech and development does not necessarily mean more enjoyment. Guess I'm now just an old chap with memories.
Geoff, I think you are spot on. Just got home from an evening out with a good friend. Met up driving my Cayman for the first time in 3.5 months. Been driving my Pajero and am also in recovery from my full knee replacement operation and the difference in speed is unbelievable. The acceleration is too much, don't get me wrong it's certainly a buzz. Fast speed gets you into trouble quickly. Then there is the other factor of other road users. So, yes, track days must be very refreshingly pleasing.

Ray

Hi Brian,

Thank you for the updates / pictures ... always interesting and encouragement to get me out to the hills [:D]

As regards 981 - 718 comparisons ... after many hours of loaned seat time in 718`s together with passenger rides on road and track with Brian plus seeing / hearing Brian`s GTS I started to consider a possible change.

With a conservative CGTS spec. drafted I visited the local OPC for a valuation / deal for my five year old (24k) 981 CS ... save to say that the CS will be staying as it`s certainly more than `half the car` that the 718 is !

Andrew_CS said:
Hi Brian,

Thank you for the updates / pictures ... always interesting and encouragement to get me out to the hills [:D]

As regards 981 - 718 comparisons ... after many hours of loaned seat time in 718`s together with passenger rides on road and track with Brian plus seeing / hearing Brian`s GTS I started to consider a possible change.

With a conservative CGTS spec. drafted I visited the local OPC for a valuation / deal for my five year old (24k) 981 CS ... save to say that the CS will be staying as it`s certainly more than `half the car` that the 718 is !

Hi Andrew,

I had a 718 Cayman loaned to me for 24hours whilst my 981C S was in for its first MOT yesterday and have also had some time in a 718 Cayman S at the PEC. I can honestly say that I was so glad to get back in my 981. The motor in the 718 just seems all or nothing with the turbo and it sounds dreadful (I know it has been said many times before and I really want to like it). The only aspect I preferred was the steering which had more feel. Keep your 981 and don't let your OPC steal it. You won't regret it.

Gazoak said:
Andrew_CS said:
Hi Brian,

Hi Andrew,

I had a 718 Cayman loaned to me for 24hours whilst my 981C S was in for its first MOT yesterday and have also had some time in a 718 Cayman S at the PEC. I can honestly say that I was so glad to get back in my 981. The motor in the 718 just seems all or nothing with the turbo and it sounds dreadful (I know it has been said many times before and I really want to like it). The only aspect I preferred was the steering which had more feel. Keep your 981 and don't let your OPC steal it. You won't regret it.

Gazoak,

I have a different experience of the 2019 718 CGTS. The power delivery is most certainly not "all or nothing". That statement couldn't be further from reality in my experience of the car.

My 718 CGTS has a 430nm torque band which is consistent from 2000rpm to 5000rpm. No one could say that is all or nothing. On the roads that I drive on, the 2019 718 GPF GTS power delivery is silky smooth and linear all the way to the 7500 red line. Neither does it suffer from the "emissions lag" between 2000rpm and 3750rpm that the normally aspirated flat-6 does. Driving the 718 does take a while to get acclimatise to, particularly if the driver is unfamiliar with the characteristics of a powerful turbo engine.

In my experience when attending PEC days, the very nature of the various driving "tests" can give a somewhat different impression of the realistic road driving characteristics of each individual car. The tests are designed to educate the driver as much as demonstrate the extreme capabilities of the car in question.

The 981 is not a bad car, Porsche doesn't do that. The 718 model range has moved the Cayster up the dynamics ladder of evolution in every department. The motor in my new car certainly does not sound "dreadful". All very subjective I know, but my experience with the 718 has been positive one, which I am happy to defend.

The latest evolution of the flat-4 turbo engine as fitted to my car, following the WLTP emissions regulations last September, has transformed the car and it is all the better for it. It also sounds good too.

Brian

[/quote]

Gazoak,

I have a different experience of the 2019 718 CGTS. The power delivery is most certainly not "all or nothing". That statement couldn't be further from reality in my experience of the car.

My 718 CGTS has a 430nm torque band which is consistent from 2000rpm to 5000rpm. No one could say that is all or nothing. On the roads that I drive on, the 2019 718 GPF GTS power delivery is silky smooth and linear all the way to the 7500 red line. Neither does it suffer from the "emissions lag" between 2000rpm and 3750rpm that the normally aspirated flat-6 does. Driving the 718 does take a while to get acclimatise to, particularly if the driver is unfamiliar with the characteristics of a powerful turbo engine.

In my experience when attending PEC days, the very nature of the various driving "tests" can give a somewhat different impression of the realistic road driving characteristics of each individual car. The tests are designed to educate the driver as much as demonstrate the extreme capabilities of the car in question.

The 981 is not a bad car, Porsche doesn't do that. The 718 model range has moved the Cayster up the dynamics ladder of evolution in every department. The motor in my new car certainly does not sound "dreadful". All very subjective I know, but my experience with the 718 has been positive one, which I am happy to defend.

The latest evolution of the flat-4 turbo engine as fitted to my car, following the WLTP emissions regulations last September, has transformed the car and it is all the better for it. It also sounds good too.

Brian

[/quote]

Spot on. Totally agree with all of that Brian.

Andrew - I've recently sold my 2013 Boxster S privately for a figure well into the £30K range having initially been offered a not too dissimilar figure to you by my OPC. Went within a short time of advertising it as well.

+1 too on your comments Brian.

As in life generally, some people are more adaptable than others; and also one's like or dislike of turbo engine characteristics is I think very much down to driving style. I'm not one for constanly wringing an engine's neck - being an engineer I've perhaps too much mechanical sympathy - and rather enjoy the seemless torque provided by a turbo engine, especially for the give-and-take approach to driving required for our road conditions.

Turbocharging technology has moved on by leaps and bounds since the early days of the Saab and Porsche 930 Turbos, with devices such as variable inlet guide vanes, twin-scroll turbos and electric superchargers all helping to reduce lag. I'm rather surprised that we haven't seen the technology incorporated in F1 engines where the turbo is connected to the motor-generator, enabling power to be fed from and to the turbo, but I'm sure that it will come soon with the introduction of hybridisation.

Jeff

Motorhead said:
+1 too on your comments Brian.

As in life generally, some people are more adaptable than others; and also one's like or dislike of turbo engine characteristics is I think very much down to driving style. I'm not one for constantly wringing an engine's neck - being an engineer I've perhaps too much mechanical sympathy - and rather enjoy the seamless torque provided by a turbo engine, especially for the give-and-take approach to driving required for our road conditions.

Turbocharging technology has moved on by leaps and bounds since the early days of the Saab and Porsche 930 Turbos, with devices such as variable inlet guide vanes, twin-scroll turbos and electric superchargers all helping to reduce lag. I'm rather surprised that we haven't seen the technology incorporated in F1 engines where the turbo is connected to the motor-generator, enabling power to be fed from and to the turbo, but I'm sure that it will come soon with the introduction of hybridisation.

Jeff

I'm really worried that there is something the matter with me this morning. After being in total agreement with Brian's post above, I now find myself in full accord with Jeff's thoughts as well.

Absolutely Jeff.

The principal use of my 718 CGTS is for touring, and my driving style has been attuned towards turbo engines over recent years since moving on from the normally aspirated flat-6 Caymans. My daily drive is an Abarth 595 Competizione 180bhp. Now if ever there was a car with all or nothing power delivery this is it. Weighing in at only 1000 kgs and with an almighty turbo pumping the gas into the 1346cc 4-pot, it take a bit of getting used to to drive smoothly. Especially when the prodigious torque steer kicks-in. This is why my driving style has adapted to turbo engines relatively easily, and has made the transition to the 718 a smooth and progressive one.

Like you Jeff, I have mechanical sympathy and I don't wring the car's neck every time I drive it. Even on my track events, I drive smoothly and progressively and do not jab and wrench at the controls. Where the new 718 2.5t engine scores over the previous flat-6, is the widely accessible torque delivery from 2000rpm to 5000rpm. This rev range is within normal everyday driving patterns on public roads. In my experience, sensitive modulation of the throttle control provides a level of progress combined with a smoothness that surpasses that of the previous 3.4 flat-6. The aforementioned "emissions flat- spot" is the principal obstacle to low rev pick-up on Cayster 3.4 flat-sixes. Owners who have had their Cayman ECU's remapped can attest to improvements in smoothness following the elimination of the emissions flat-spot. The 718 does not have this problem.

This is a debate without an agreeable outcome. Some people just don't like turbo engines and that's the end of it. My position is one of adaptability to the machinery at my disposal, whatever the piston count or the induction means.

Brian

COD981 said:
I do hope the 24k in brackets is the mileage and not what they offered you Andrew

Aye ... it is the `mileage` [:D] ... having covered 13k miles in 18 months since purchase.

The OPC depreciation (offer) works out at ~ £1k per month, when you account for their 20% handling / preparation / profit fees for resale this reduces by half. Swings - roundabouts of using an / this OPC.

Hi Brian,

I'm not knocking your new GTS. I haven't heard or seen one running with the new gpf. I hope to make it to Oulton Park next Friday so I hope to see yours then. I'm just speaking from my experience with the base 2.0 and 2.5s. If you're happy with your car, that's all that matters and you certainly have some allies. It looks great too with the exterior specification, colour and yellow calipers with ceramic discs. I am used to modern powerful turbo engines as our family car is a BMW M3 CP which is a great car with 444bhp. That too when in the sport setting takes off. My 981S is my first Porsche and I always wanted a flat 6 which I know you also have plenty of experience of. I wouldn't change it as it's all I want and need in a sports car but each to their own.

Regards,

Gary

Gary,

Thank you for your kind comments. I completely accept the 718 is a contentious machine, and as you say each to our own. I have no beef about the 981, it's a significant car in the evolution from the 986, 987, 987.2 Caysters and ultimately the GT4.

If you make it to Oulton Park on March 8th, please make yourself known to me. I'd be pleased to have a chat and show you round my GTS. I'm hoping the weather behaves on the day.

Brian

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back