Menu toggle

My 2019 718 Cayman GTS PDK

Door Shut Lines

A minor niggle has been gnawing regarding the uneven door shut line on the driver's side. The passenger's door shut line is fine.

I have sent Porsche Chester the photos below to ask if they can do the door adjustment on site when I visit their dealership next week. I have seen this problem before on other Porsches of all types. As my car will be no doubt be under close scrutiny by PC members when I attend the Oulton Park event next Friday, I thought it worth mentioning to my OPC to request a fix.

Have any other owners experienced a similar issue? And if so, can the remedy be done at OPC level or is it a bodyshop job?

Brian

Update

Received a prompt response from Porsche Chester to my enquiry regarding the driver's door shut line. They will attend to this on-site when I visit next week.

At the same time I have been invited to attend a complimentary Porsche Masterclass consultation focused on the Porsche Connect function, PCM Apple Car Play, and Navigation features. I have also requested assistance with setting up my iPhone connection to the Porsche Track precision app. This app syncs my phone to the car's PCM and ECU allowing data from throttle, braking, steering, and G-force to be superimposed on the video image taken while on the track. Oulton Park International circuit is already pre-loaded on the app and will include ghosting images of my car in comparison with the "ideal" racing line. I shall be fascinated to see this if it all works according to plan.

Plenty to report back on.

Brian

Finding your posts really interesting and informative Brian during the wait for my Cayman.

Will definitely be checking the door shut alignment when I collect my Cayman in early May. I have not had a problem like that since I had a Peugeot 206 GTi back in the late 90's and wouldn't have expected it with a Porsche.

Mark

Update on Driver's Door Shut Line issue

An email received today from Porsche Chester informing me that they have had a look at the photos of the askew driver's door shut line and it seems this is a bigger job to rectify than first thought. Apparently this fix cannot be done on-site at the OPC. A company called Road and Race are the firm mentioned for this problem, and it may require the removal of the door which I have been told could take a couple of days.

This is bad news. My travel schedule to Chester on Thursday does not accommodate an extra two days away from home. Besides, I am fully committed to the Oulton Park track day the following day, plus other accommodation arrangements which I am unable to change.

I shall discuss this with Porsche Chester on Thursday to consider alternative options towards fixing this unsightly glitch. I'm surprised my car left the factory with this shut line out of kilter. Surely the QC staff should have spotted this on the production line. In the euphoria of the car handover, these QC details are all too easily overlooked. Be warned.

I'll report back on this issue later.

Meantime I'm looking forward to the Oulton Park event, and hoping the weather stays dry so that I may meaningfully compare the track performance with my previous 718 CS.

Brian

Brian,

I've bought two cars from OPC Chester and also have used Road and Race who are the only Porsche Approved Bodyshop in NW England. I can say they are truly excellent at what they do, and lovely to deal with too.

If you can't fit them in on this trip I wonder if it would be easier to use a Porsche Approved Bodyshop in Scotland (I haven't checked to see who is approved)? I'm sure it would be fine with OPC Chester to book you into any Porsche Approved place for the adjustments to be done.

Gordon.

Gordon,

Thank you for that useful information. Road and Race were unknown to me, as you would expect from my location.

I shall be discussing the available options open to me with Porsche Chester on Thursday.

Brian

Brian,Road & Race are well known to us all in the North West,John Bradshaw runs it ,a really nice guy,Tom Bradshaw ,son ,races Porsches & won a place on the Porsche race series apprenticeship scheme some years back-.They prepared Bolton OPC's resto-racing Boxster (the one in blue with "stitches"round the edges)-they are very nice people to deal with-also have prepared the Porsche cars for Bolton OPC in previous years OPC restoration competitions inc a 924 Carrera GT (IIRC) & a very special Porsche found stored in boxes in Porsche's factory-I am sure someone will be along to explain in better detail,soon.

After a van driver reversed at traffic lights in Preston 2 yrs ago one day when I was using my wife's Stone Grey 924S- and admitted liability,her car was repaired & painted at Road & Race so I have recent experience.

However not convenient for you ,sadly.

7nBICLB.jpg

Brian, hi I’m a new member with a 718 2.0 on order. However yesterday I had the opportunity to do some investigation at the Geneva Salon. Speaking to a factory engineer it seems you now have a 50/50 chance for Michelin’s come delivery - show stand most definitely had a lot of Michelin shod models, not just 718’s. He was very positive with the Cup tyre, and was straight about it being a lottery what was built with what tyre brand. Asking about the exhaust the factory engineer couldn’t (or wouldn’t) say a lot but he did confirm the GPF had been a lot or work and had been tuned to make a deeper “Porsche sound”. Asking the $64,000 question he confirmed with a smile they could easily engineer a 6 cylinder production 718, countering however that the new GPF emission tests had been surprisingly time and resource consuming. When pushed will you GPF a 6 cylinder 718 he wouldn’t be drawn at all, but his facial expression was the one you pull when you’re told ‘no’.

Oulton Park March 8th and more......

Having returned home from my long haul trip south only yesterday, (Monday), I have now gotten my thoughts together on what was a smorgasbord of experiences covering a pretty full spectrum of emotions. My schedule was as follows;

Inverness to Carlisle A9-M74

Carlisle to OPC Chester M6-M56

Oulton Park RS Day

The journey south from my Highland base last Wednesday was undertaken in atrocious weather conditions. The combination of major road works (A9) and relentless torrential rain on the first leg of my journey to Carlisle was not the best of starts. The second leg from Carlisle to my hotel in Cheshire was little better. Heavy rain on the M6 and M56 to Chester turned the road surface into something resembling a river more than a motorway. The road spray from HGV's was absolutely blinding, with practically zero visibility at the critical overtaking point. Many on this forum will already be well aware of the road spray issues when driving a low slung sports car in such road conditions. Often made worse by certain drivers, usually SUV's and 4x4's, taking their time to overtake HGV's by religiously sticking to 70mph thus prolonging time spent in the overtaking danger zone. On several occasions at the beginning, I was trapped in the car wash spray of HGV's, often with more than one HGV in close convoy, while such drivers dilly-dallied in the overtaking lane and took their time before moving over. "Hanging me out to dry" is perhaps not the most apt phrase under the conditions, but I'm sure you get my meaning. One thing for sure it certainly tested my new GTS for any water leaks! My tactic for overtaking HGV's in such torrential conditions became one of choosing my moment according to traffic, before quickly and decisively conducting the overtaking manoeuvre safely in as short a time as possible. I was not particularly interested in the speedo reading during these overtakes.

My day at Porsche Chester went very well indeed. First priority was for the workshop to adjust the driver's door shut line. This was successfully achieved within 30 minutes or so. My car was then raised on the ramp and I was given the opportunity to ask questions with a service technician present. My first question was regarding the GPF fitment and any subsequent catalysers. I was informed that in the case of the 2019 model year 718 GTS, the GPF filter does most of the regulated emissions work, requiring only a small diameter catalyser in addition to the GPF unit. It certainly must be small, because with the engine under-tray in position it was very difficult to locate the actual position of the catalyser within the exhaust system. I shall have to wait until my first oil change to report back on this topic. The technician confirmed that the exhaust system has been completely revised on the 2019 Model Year GTS compared to earlier versions of this model. Following the ramp inspection and subsequent much needed car wash, I was then given a Masterclass on the PCM navigation and infotainment systems. All very helpful and informative. All I need to do now is keep practicing lest I forget!

The Oulton Park event from a driving point of view was disappointing for me. The morning session was mainly dry with more than a few damp patches. The track was still very "green" and grip levels were subsequently quite low. As a result I could not commit to the corners in the same vigorous manner as I had previously done last October. This meant a real back-to-back comparison with my 718 CS was not possible on this day. My lap times were 12 seconds adrift of my October times. This disappointed me. The combination of a greasy track and with me still recovering from a bad attack of winter flu, made for my poor driving performance on this occasion. On the bright side, I enjoyed meeting up with more than a few contributors to this forum thread, and it was great to catch up with you all on a face to face basis. The eagerly anticipated Porsche Track Precision app also disappointed. It only partly worked. It's a fickle thing. Unbeknown to me, I didn't move the slider in the app "Settings" to record the video image. So when replaying the track recording, all it showed was the brake, throttle, steering, road speed, and g-force images moving about at the bottom of the screen. The track video was blank! You can imagine my reaction when discovering that. Not printable.

As to the track comparison between my previous 718 CS and the GTS, this was severely compromised by the circumstances already mentioned. However, I can say the PCCB brakes performed absolutely superbly. The pedal feel was consistent and confidence inspiring. Although the "big stops" were curtailed by the greasy track conditions, the braking performance was definitely superior to the 718 steel brakes. I also detected an improvement in steering feel through the chicanes. The lighter unsprung weight of the PCCB came into effect during such quick changes in direction. On the comparative engine performance between the two models, the GTS definitely has more poke. This was very apparent on the uphill sections of the track such as at Hilltop and Clay Hill. The GTS pulls more strongly through the gears than the CS, not by a huge amount, but demonstrating a noticeable gain nevertheless.

So ended my first track day experience of 2019. I was disappointed that my personal fitness and the prevailing track conditions contrived to spoil a proper CS/GTS comparison. The long journey north was thankfully conducted in far better weather than the one south. The total mileage for the return journey was 963 miles. In round figures Oulton Park is a 1000 mile trip for me. I was relieved to get back to driving on relatively quiet Highland roads again. Driving for miles on end on motorways with hardly any steering inputs or gear shifting is not my idea of driving pleasure. Sitting behind the wheel in a fixed position, in the same gear, for mile upon mile is not the ideal way to enjoy Porsche driving. On "my roads" I enjoy a far more animated driving experience. Steering inputs are often through 180 degrees or more, gear changes are several per minute, and the brakes get a proper work out too. Hopefully I shall have more such experiences to enjoy in the coming months.

I have a photo below taken by MSV at Oulton Park on March 8th

Brian

Brian,

i feel for you on on your journey down south last week.

I picked my 718 Boxster GTS, yesterday so asked my sales person a question on the reworked sports exhaust. Not sure it adds much but here is the official reply..

“The exhaust has been reworked mainly in order to house the Gasoline particulate Filter, I believe they have also tweaked it to make it a little noisier as the GPF filter does act as a bit of a muffler.”

i managed to to get the new car home yesterday in the sun and then straight into the garage. Not sure when it will be able to come out But fitted Zunsport grilles last night.

regards

adrian

Hi Brian,

Great to meet up with you again buddy in my back yard. Your enthusiasm for the new car is even more evident face to face than it is on here. I really enjoyed the few wet laps that you took me out for. Even with the sideways moment coming out of Brittens chicane showed just how capable it is. And shod with the MPS4s it was clearly quicker in the wet than anything out there at the time. We only overtook and were never overtaken.

You were unlucky with your first trip to the RS day. In the ten years that I've been going, wet days have been very rare. I do hope you continue to manage a couple of track days each year. The rumour is that next year's RS day will be a two dayer which would make the long trip much more worthwhile for you. And this year's PCGB day, although much more expensive than previous years is now in September which offers much more chance of a warm, dry, fast track. I've booked it today!

You just missed the driest part of the day. I was out just before I joined you in the GTS and managed a respectable lap of 2.05 in the GT4. Unfortunately I had teething problems with my new Gopro so the footage is not worth uploading to YouTube (it's over exposed so can't see much of the track). However my mate Grant, driving my previous Cayman R that he now owns, got some good footage of a similar lap time. Here it is for your enjoyment:

[link]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jSBZyDKsl4[/url]

It was great to finally meet you at the RS Track Day Brian, albeit in fairly grotty conditions. Your car looked just as good in the metal as in the photos. I appreciate that it is a long trip for you to make but I hope it hasn't put you off from driving "down south" in future. I was good to chat about the NC500 and I look forward to your write-up and tips on driving the route in due course.

Regards,

Gary

Hi Brian

Completely agree with you about driving a low slung sports car on a wet motorway, you described my experience brilliantly. I have resolved where possible to avoid long motorway routes, allowing extra time although clearly this will not always be possible.

Anyway, I was writing this morning to update on motorsport grilles on the front of our Porsches. Whilst you were off on a track day, I took the front bumper off my 981 Cayman GTS in the garage on a windy Sunday, a surprisingly easy and rewarding job. The point I wanted to make was that the outer 2 'radiators' are in fact fronted by the air conditioning condensers and although it would be inconvenient if one of these were pierced by road debris, they would not stop the car running. It is in fact the centre radiator, which is fitted to GTS cars that is the only water cooling radiator exposed directly to road debris. I have fitted a grille from the back to this centre radiator but ran out of time to continue with the outers which will be a lot more complicated to fit neatly.

I was surprised how much debris was in there from 3 years of summer driving over 10K miles. This would be a worthwhile job for any owner every 3 to 5 years to simply take the front bumper off, clean all the debris and look for signs of corrosion which is more likely to cause the radiator to leak in the longer term. There is a 997 article out there by Lancerlot and I will write up my efforts in a separate thread once I am done.

Phil

Steve, Gary and Phil,

Great footage from Grant in your old CR Steve. Wonderful engine sound and excellent cornering lines from an experienced pilot. Brought back happy memories of my own CR. Unfortunately I had to leave Oulton early for my hotel at Carlisle. I didn't fancy getting caught up in the Friday afternoon commuter rush. Ironic that I missed the best conditions.

Gary, good to chat with you and Andrea at Oulton last Friday. I was disappointed the weather wasn't better. The track conditions prevented me giving the GTS a real go. I also appreciated your thoughts on my proposed post on driving in the Highlands. I'll put my thoughts together and pitch a post under the General Discussion Area soon. My main fear was coming across as patronising to others who already knew about the Passing Place etiquette and free roaming sheep and goats. I'll tread carefully and try to make it light hearted. Scotland is very much on the touring radar this year with all the current Brexit kerfuffle.

Phil, thank you for your comments on the grills. In my experience, it is the central radiator that was taking all the stone hits. The outer condensers, although looking vulnerable, don't seem to be in the firing line to the same degree. The good thing about having only the central and lower outer grills fitted, is that I can clean out the pine needles from the outer air intakes very easily. As you rightly point out, it is the central radiator that is the danger area for stone impacts and the only one that can cause a roadside breakdown.

Thank you all for your comments. All I now need now is, for the storm Gareth to pass by so I can wash my car and get it back to pristine. At 2600 miles it is going great and has used no oil.

I heard today from Porsche Chester that my previous 718 CS has been sold, and is now back in Scotland. A west Lothian farmer has bought it for his wife. I hope she enjoys it.

Brian

Brian,

Good to hear about your exploits 'down South' but very disappointed for you that everything didn't turn out as hoped, especially since you must have incurred significant expense.

Not the greatest weather for driving a low-slung vehicle amongst heavy M-way traffic. I would agree with your frustration about passing goods vehicles in heavy rain, but with so many hidden speed cameras on and near gantries drivers are becoming much more cautious about exceeding the speed limit even by a small margin. Not that I'm in favour of regulation, but average speed cameras are a much more sensible alternative and appear to be gaining popularity on main and trunk roads but don't seem to be common on M-ways for some reason - other than in road works..!

French roads have a variable speed limit that depends on weather conditions, but without smart signage it leads to too much confusion in my opinion. And you have to ask: realistically, how is it enforced?

It's a fact of life that with more and more traffic on our already heavily congested roads regulation will increase and, sadly, make driving for pleasure a rarer experience for most of us. Your Highland location must be one of the last bastions of care-free motoring - make the most of it while you can..!

Jeff

Last week on my way back north from Cheshire, I had to park in a town centre near Falkirk. It was the usual parallel parking manoeuvre I have done countless times before. You'll know the drill, draw alongside and reverse into the space. I must have done this parking manoeuvre zillions of times in my lifetime. On this occasion my nearside rear wheel brushed the granite kerb, pinching the rim protection ridge which caused the polished alloy rim on my pristine Carrera Sport alloys to make slight contact with the edge of the knobbly granite kerbing. As it was only a slight contact, this became apparent only after I had got out of the car. I could have kicked myself! In the two years I owned my previous 718 CS with identical wheels, I never, ever, marked the alloys in any way. After very gingerly moving my car forward and outward away from the kerb, to my horror the polished rim showed signs of contact with the kerb.

For the interest of those 718 owners who have the Carrera Sport alloys fitted, and who may suffer a similar minor brush with a kerb, I have for your interest the following tips for treating the damaged area. May I say that in my case the impact with the kerb was very slight, thanks to the excellent protection of the Michelin PS4S N0 rim protection ridge. Had my car still been fitted with the factory supplied Pirelli P-Zero N1 tyres the polished rim damage would likely have been far more severe.

The following procedure was carried out in my own garage to minimise the visible damage to the polished rim resulting from contact with the kerbstone.

1. Fine "wet and dry" emery paper folded to provide a small contact area, was gently rubbed over the offending scratch. I know this is a scary thing to do, but keeping the emery paper lubricated with clean water, and carefully rubbing the affected area only, the scratch marks gradually faded away. After cleaning with a damp cloth, only a small area of the polished rim showed signs of abrasion from the wet & dry emery paper.

2. My old faithful Autosol metal polish, applied with a used kitchen foam pan scourer was then brought into action to restore the emery paper abrasions on the polished rim. Several applications were applied. Each time, polishing off with a micro fibre cloth until the abrasion marks had all but disappeared.

3. Finally a light coat of Porsche stone chip clear lacquer was applied to the repaired area and left to dry overnight.

Below, I have the before and after photos of the damage sustained and subsequent remedy for your interest. The mark can still be seen under very close forensic examination, but it is certainly a lot better than before the treatment.

In conclusion, the Carrera Sport alloys are a superb looking wheel which are a joy to keep clean, whatever paint finish is chosen. However, the polished alloy rim is very vulnerable to kerb damage, and as my experience shows, we can all make mistakes when parking at the kerbside. More serious kerb impact damage would require professional refurbishment from a wheel specialist, but for minor rim damage I found the above treatment a satisfactory solution.

I shall now be much more careful when kerbside parking in future.

Brian

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back