Menu toggle

My new Gen 2 2020 Macan Turbo

+1 Brian. had to do a drive from Edinburgh up to St Andrews (A91) to see lawyers and estate agents following my mother's passing (all Covid compliant BTW) then down to Crail and then the back roads of the East Nuek in the dark and back down to Leven then A92 back to Edinburgh. So much water it was unbelievable and the Mich Alpin 5s were totally amazing - I use them all year round as their wet weather performance is sublime and contrary to internet claptrap they last as long if not longer than "regular" rubber. My Mac GTS was just majestic in such conditions and yes Alpin 5s are bloody amazing in the snow

Cam,
Good to read another Macan owner's positive experiences of the Michelin Alpin 5 winter tyres. They are absolutely amazing on snow, whether it's fresh, packed, or icy.

I'm hoping I get another opportunity to sample some more winter driving this coming week.

My condolences on your mother's passing.

Brian

The Highland edition of my local newspaper today featured a front page headline regarding a number of vehicles stranded in blizzard conditions on the A835 Garve to Ullapool route. This is a road I know well, therefore I was not surprised that it had been blocked not by snow, but by stranded vehicles.

The problem appeared to be caused by HGVs and delivery vans becoming stuck in the snow and blocking the road. Local drivers were subsequently caught up in the stranded convoy. This is a growing problem not only in the Highlands, but also in other rural communities. Online deliveries and bulk haulage were unknown in times past, when routes such as the A835 were kept open in winter by the local council roads depot snow ploughs. Locals knew the danger spots where drifting snow could be a problem, and many avoided travelling at such times. Things are very different today, with tight delivery targets for courier drivers and bulk deliveries by articulated lorries now commonplace.

This does make me wonder if we should be taking the same preventative measures as the alpine roads authorities in Austria, Germany, and Switzerland, by temporarily stopping all such commercial traffic from using the high risk routes during forecast blizzard conditions. This would allow the roads authorities free access to clear the route of drifting snow. HGVs by design are not compatible with winter driving conditions. They have massive gross weight, potentially up to 44 tonnes, with only two-wheel drive positioned at the pivot point of the articulated trailer which leads to jack-knifing whenever traction is lost. Similarly the delivery vans favoured by the online courier companies are front-engined, long-wheelbase vehicles with lightly weighted rear-wheel drive axles. Little wonder that they flounder in snow.

The point of this is, it matters not how capable our own vehicles may be in winter driving conditions. Even the remarkably capable Porsche Macan fitted with the best winter tyres, is helpless when confronted by a road blocked with stranded HGVs and vans.

It is therefore imperative to bear this in mind when venturing into the more remote routes no matter how tempting the winter wonderland scenery may be.

Brian

I’ve had occasion to be incarcerated by the closure of the A835. In Feb 2010 we were staying in a cottage just north of Ullapool, at Ardmair, where we had come to the end of a week of winter mountaineering and ice climbing.
Heavy snow fell one afternoon whilst we were on a mountain and it was marginal that we made it back to the cottage for we were in a BMW e46 M3 on summer tyres. In fact we didn’t get all the way up the drive to the cottage but close enough to walk.
Our friends in their Honda Jazz had no issues, and were able to make up the hill between Ardmair and Ullapool to get some food and wine supplies, passing a good number of abandoned HGVs on the journey.
Both the A835 and A832 were closed so no one of us we’re going home for a couple of days, but even so, we had to wait another day after our friends departed in the trusty Jazz before we could venture home in the totally unsuitable BMW.

The following year we went in a Land Rover with proper tyres.

I have a Gen 2 Turbo purchased in March last year and it is asking for an oil change in 28 days is this normal bearing in mind it has only 2000 miles on the clock and I thought it had a 2 year service interval!

thebigmangsy said:
I have a Gen 2 Turbo purchased in March last year and it is asking for an oil change in 28 days is this normal bearing in mind it has only 2000 miles on the clock and I thought it had a 2 year service interval!

I would suspect your sooner than expected oil change notification is the result of predominately short journeys which we are all guilty of during this 3rd covid lockdown. Engine Oil becomes diluted with fuel resulting from enriched fuel/air mixture when the engine is cold.

Unfortunately many Macan owners may find themselves at the mercy of the PCM engine oil sensors this year, regardless of the mileage covered. For reasons of complying with warranty conditions, the oil change needs to be done.

Brian

That would make sense I live in Guernsey and do lots of short trips and since taking delivery the car has not left the island [:(]

Andy

For the essential benefit of my mental health, and being fed up to the back teeth of local walks, today I had a most enjoyable drive to remote locations within my local area. The weather was gorgeous, the snow covered mountains majestic, and the roads bare of snow. Air temperatures varied between -11.5c and -2.00c making the snow sparkle like diamonds in the winter sunshine.

My route was chosen carefully to avoid places where other people may be encountered. I also aimed to provide the opportunity for a walk in the still, crystal clear alpine air. My route started from the Kessock Bridge on the A9 taking a left after 1 mile to the shoreline hamlet of Charlestown. I took the unclassified road along the Beauly Firth to the junction with the A832 to Muir of Ord, turning left towards the historic village of Beauly. I then headed west on the A831 towards Cannich, turning left for Drumnadrochit and onto the A82 north back to Inverness.

Throughout trip the roads were dry and bare of snow. Some icy patches on the shaded areas, but otherwise perfectly safe and very little traffic. I chose a quiet spot on the A831 for a 2km walk up to a hilltop viewpoint. I was thankful I'd brought a thermos flask of hot coffee for a welcome refreshment following my exhausting climb to the summit. Deep snow made walking very strenuous. The very low temperatures put a crust on the snow which initially seemed to support my weight, only to suddenly give way to shin deep snow. The only footprints on the path are my own and those of deer and mountain hare. The stillness was magic, with the air crystal clear and sharp as pure oxygen. Not a living soul in was in sight. Bliss, pure bliss.

The Macan desperately needed a decent run and today provided the ideal opportunity within my local area. I must say it is on journeys such as today that the Macan comes into its own as the ideal vehicle. No fear of driving off the tarmac onto the frozen verges for a photo here and there. No ground clearance issues either. In my judgement, the trip was essential to my wellbeing and that of my car. No one was endangered, the roads were dry and bare, I was taking no risks, and I was travelling alone.

The feeling of being mentally energised when I returned home was beyond price. My Macan also seemed similarly energised. There have been too many short journeys to the supermarket lately due to lockdown. This is not good for any car, particularly performance Porsches. Engine and transmission oils, coolant, also brakes, all need a decent run to working temperatures to keep corrosion and deterioration at bay. I deemed this as essential.

A thaw is forecast for next week so a much needed car wash is first on the agenda.

Brian

Photo looking across the Beauly Firth.

Thank you for another delightful excursion told in a pleasant lyrical way-it again reminds me of the long weekend we spent with our then future son in law's parents at their then weekend home in Newton in Leys approx 14 yrs ago.(His father was the GP in Scourie- mother ran the practice as well as being the practice nurse).
They took us for tours of the area & although we didn't cover your route,we did go to the locks on the Caledonian Canal & then further along the loch returning on a slightly more southerly route adjacent to the lake past fields containing deer of all sorts.

We then went along the top of the loch & visited the castle visitor centre.

Next trip was East probably on the B9006 to see Culloden battle area,Nairun,Elgin & the Whisky Museum.( apologies if I'm repeating myself)

Beautiful scenery everywhere & I can understand how your personal wellbeing would react to your excursion in this miserable lockdown.

Colin.

Colin,

Thank you for your comments of support regarding my "essential excursion" yesterday. The "high" feeling is still with me.

Reading in the local paper today that the Aberdeenshire A93 west route Ballater to Braemar, has been jam-packed with cars taking children to the nursery slopes near Glenmore for sledging. The recent media publicity on Braemar's record low of -23c serves to encourage people to travel to the area. Locals are exasperated with cars parked indiscriminately on the roadside verges and getting stuck. The fact that closed snow gates prevent access to the Glenshee ski centre is exacerbating the situation. We currently have the best snow conditions on the ski slopes in Scotland for decades and the snow gates remain closed; to the dismay of the ski centre operating companies. Closing of snow gates simply moves the problem elsewhere. This is a problem that desperately needs a solution. For example, there are no car parking facilities in the vicinity of the popular sledging locations.

In my case, I chose the route yesterday with calculated care. I deliberately avoided popular snow tourist routes. Local knowledge also helps.

The Macan is resting in my garage, the filthiest it has ever been. A thaw is expected next week. I'm expecting the car washing job to take some time......

Brian
One more photo of the still, icy waters on the Beauly Firth.

Scotland at its best ..love that neck of the woods ,over the Kessock Bridge up to Chanory Point for a possible glimpse of the dolphins and on to Cromarty and the dirt road up to Souters point for a view over looking the Firth ,them back down to Inverness a must stop over to visit the various car showroom( my wife loves this part)[&o] and on down to Aviemore .The roads around that area are great also up to Granton and beyond used to do it twice year .As you say the Ski centers closed is a disaster for the industry esp now with near perfect conditions
Brian

Brian, I’m glad you got out. I cannot blame you one bit. I can’t see how you endangered anyone or yourself In the slightest. Covid can only be spread from person to person, if you didn’t meet anyone there was no risk.
The argument that you could have had an accident and required the emergency services is to my mind entirely spurious. People have plenty of accidents at home and require emergency attention.
The countryside looks beautiful. It would be crime not to see it.

Brian and Graham,

Highland Scotland is beautiful in winter, it's often said it's at its best, which I can personally agree with. The current embargo is a tragedy for the ski centre industry who have endured far too many very lean years in past decades. The ski resorts in Scotland are in desperate need of capital investment to improve facilities and infrastructure, but stymied without the revenue from skiers. The snow conditions in the Highland ski centres are currently as good, if not better than those in the best alpine resorts in Europe. The exasperation of the ski resort companies in the Highlands is entirely understandable.

In my young day as a skier; (listen to the violins...) snow gates on the access roads to the ski centres didn't exist. Back then skiers as a group generally had both the driving capabilities and the vehicles to ensure safe transport to and from the ski centres. My car at the time was a VW Beetle 1300S with Goodyear UltraGrip winter tyres on all four wheels. It never got stuck in the snow, and was huge fun to drive despite having only 55 bhp. Today, things are different. Urban dwellers, often limited in their snow driving experiences, set off for the skiing areas with kids and sledges seeking some winter wonderland fun. No one can blame them for that.

The snow gates, as I understand it are not padlocked shut. This is for emergency services and snow clearing safety reasons for local inhabitants who may live within the snow gated area. It is impractical for the police to monitor the snow gates for 24 hours every day, so some drivers usually non-local, take it upon themselves to ignore the closed gates and end up getting stuck in the snow as a result. This endangers not only themselves, but also the rescue teams despatched to recover them and their stranded vehicle. Situations such as these tar all winter driving enthusiasts with the same brush in the eyes of the police.

In contrast to the uniformed po-faced copper normally interviewed on tv news bulletins, it was refreshingly honest to hear a Mountain Rescue officer correctly and succinctly recommend the following advice; "that drivers embarking on a journey to the winter sports destinations consider their winter driving capabilities and those of their vehicle before setting off". So true. Electronic driver-assist systems currently available on modern cars create a false sense of security for most drivers. This is a contributing factor in many winter driving accidents. Porsche owners have the opportunity to practice dealing with loss of grip and other dynamic emergencies at the excellent PEC courses at Silverstone. If only courses of this sort were more widely available and offered at point of sale by mainstream manufacturers.

Brian

If ever there was a case made for the tangible benefits of ceramic paint treatments, the self-car wash today on my Macan was as good a demonstration as any. With ambient temperatures now approaching double digits above freezing rather than below, the time was now right for the big clean.

Not having been washed for almost 4 weeks due to freezing temperatures, the filthy road grime and rock salt treatments currently prevailing in my local area had spray-coated the lustrous Sapphire Blue paintwork in a crusty brown finish resembling the camouflage on a battlefield tank. I choose not to use a foam pre-wash, rather rinsing the paintwork with the Karcher spray lance set on medium pressure prior to hand washing with G-Tech car shampoo conditioner.

The cold water lance rinse dissolved the road grime and salt with consummate ease, revealing the shiny blue paintwork in its path. The following soapy wash mitt application was as smooth as silk. Before the advent of ceramic paint treatments, winter car washing used to degrade any previous wax or resin polish into a smeary, slimy finish requiring frequent re-applications to restore a smooth finish. No so with current ceramics, the durability of the protection even in winter, is worth every penny spent in my opinion.

After washing, I always dry-off the paintwork and glass with a micro-fibre towel. The finished result is showroom clean.

Until the next car trip..........

Brian

I've just spent the last hour reading from your 1st post Brian [:)]

Great thread, super-informative (as usual) and very entertaining at the same time.

Nice to hear you are enjoying the Macan.
Hope you soon get to go a bit further [8D]

The opportunities for driving my Macan Turbo to some of the superb Highland locations for winter snow scenes has been severely curtailed due to the seemingly never ending Covid restrictions. However, I did manage another local trip to Lochindorb the other day, which to my surprise was still substantially frozen over despite the recent mild temperatures. Last week temperatures in my local area dropped to -15c overnight and the frozen loch is evidence of this. Unfortunately last week the snow gates were closed on the access road to Lochindorb, otherwise I would have relished the opportunity of driving on the virgin snow to that particular location.

With 4800 miles up on the Macan, I can say I am generally happy with the car. It is certainly the ideal winter driving vehicle, especially with winter tyres fitted. The confidence inspiring stability and grip on winter road conditions is outstanding in my opinion. On dry roads the full performance of the 440bhp V6 can be exploited to the full, and the Macan Turbo is indeed a performance SUV in every sense of the term. It is however a heavy car, and for me this is plainly apparent when driving on the empty, winding, rural roads of my Highland location. This Macan is my first SUV so I have nothing of a similar nature to compare it with. Significantly in my case, I come from a succession of owning 5 Caymans, each one being more accomplished performance-wise than the previous one.

There is much written about the Macan as having hot hatch, or performance saloon-like handling. I would say this is stretching things a bit. The impressive 440bhp and 550 N/m torque is dulled somewhat by the 2 tonne body weight and as a result it never quite feels as fast as it is. I timed a launch control 0-60 at Knockhill circuit last September in 4.12 seconds.....in the wet. This is certainly impressive for a 2 tonne SUV. In the real world, the high driving position and efficient sound insulation of the luxurious cabin also plays a part in insulating the driver from the feeling of a connection with the road. The Macan's steering is good, my car has Power Steering Plus, but it doesn't have the feel of the road surface that Porsche sports cars have. As a result driver satisfaction, for the keen driver, is not in the same league as with the Cayman for example. That said, in Sport mode, with manual shifting engaged, the Macan Turbo hustles along very nicely. I just have in the back of my mind the sheer weight of the thing when enjoying a nice empty "driving" road. I guess I'm still suffering from Cayman withdrawal symptoms. As previously stated, the Macan Turbo is A Very Nice Car.

I'll close with a couple of photos of a frozen Lochindorb taken earlier this week.

Brian

ah yes Lochindorb - a magical place and the roads around it are just amazing. I can't wait to make one of our regular trips up to that part of the world once our dear leader relinquishes control

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back