Menu toggle

Speaker upgrades in my 996 coupe

gizmo750

Jon Mitchell's speaker upgrades in my 996

Some of you might have seen my posts when I got my 996 last year relating to stereo's, speakers and general sound set-up and also seen my posts that I was looking to do something with the speakers. Well, I promised a write up when it was sorted out and here it is:

When I got my car it had the optional speaker upgrade kit (with the extra speakers in the door pods) and the standard single slot CD player (CDR22?). I wanted to integrate all my in-car requirements into one unit (radio, ipod integration, sat nav, Bluetooth handsfree etc) rather than have loads of different bits of kit all over the place. In the end I settled on the Pioneer D3Bti and a great piece of kit it is too.

Sadly, this nice new head unit and all of its clever facilities really showed up the poor speakers that are fitted as standard to the 996 (I think they are Nokia units). They are unable to handle any real bass and are all too easy to distort at higher, although not stupidly loud, volumes. In addition I didn't think that the sound from them was especially clear. So, I started looking into options for replacing or enhancing the speakers.

Firstly I considered the Bose upgrade but it's a. hard to find secondhand, b. incredibly expensive to buy and c. I have read that it is not all I would hope from the name. So I decided to look about and see what else was available in the market. It soon became apparent that there wasn't much in the way of "plug and play" options. This has a lot to do with both the unusual sizes and mountings of the standard Porsche speakers. I have seen many differing ways of retaining speaker units with four mounting points where the Porsche ones have three "" but none that really looked "proper". I spoke to local Audio outlets and quite frankly was astonished at some of the prices I was being quoted. In addition it also seemed that I would have to live with my car looking "less than factory spec" (read "" a little Max Power) as it wasn't thought that most speaker options could retain the original grills, especially on the dashboard and in the rear of the cabin. I also really didn't want to fit any big Bass Box to the car as to be honest a. it really isn't me and b. it's not like there is loads of room inside in the first place.

I had pretty much given up on the idea and resigned myself to listening at lower volumes and living with the reverberating bass issues when I happened to mention my thoughts on the standard set-up when I was in Jon Mitchell's getting something else done. Jon told me that he had been working on audio options for the Boxster and that he also wanted to get something sorted out for the 996. I explained the above to Jon and re-iterated that I didn't want anything that didn't look factory spec and he agreed.

What followed was a lot of testing / trial and dry run along with a certain amount of patience on both sides. Jon had to get some mounting rings fabricated for the original speaker grills (dash and rear) so that standard 4 point mounting speakers could be fitted into them without cutting things about. Whilst these were being fabricated the front door speakers were replaced with Alpine units and I was told to go and "run them in". I'd never had to "run" speaker in before and was sceptical when initially installed as there was some reverberation at volume (as with the original speakers) however Jon was convinced and had checked with Alpine "" 5 to 10 hours and they would be perfect. Well I went away and did as requested, running the volume up louder and louder over time and I have to say that Alpine were right, they slowly started to handle the volume and bass better and better until after 10 hours or so they are really rather remarkable and produce a good, clear sound at most volume levels (that ordinary people would use when driving). Even a heavy bass track like Fools Gold by the Stone Roses is no problem now and there is no hint of the reverberations any more.

So, a happy camper with the front door speaker upgrades, I got the call from Jon that the fabricated mounts and the other speakers were all ready to fit. I duly dropped into the workshops and the swap-over of these units proved fairly quick and painless. Again, Alpine replacements were installed and the original grills re-fitted so there is no outward sign of anything being changed in the car. That is until you wind the music level up. The sound reproduction is clear and crisp at any volume that I would need to use. For my needs there is a reasonable level of bass too (considering that I didn't go for a sub-woofer) however if you music tastes are a little more bassy (is that a word?) the there is the option of a slim bass speaker that can be fitted under the passenger seat to minimise impact on space.

I'm never going to win any awards at a Max Power stereo competition but that was never the intention. I just wanted something that improved the poor standard set-up and allowed me to crank up the volume on the head unit when I felt the urge without wincing at the poor sound quality or having passengers laugh at the rubbish stereo in my "posh car". I think that I got exactly what I was after and I am very pleased with the results. I can't show any pictures of the installation as there is nothing to see "" but this is exactly what I was looking for. Outwardly the car looks totally standard so is less attractive to thieving eyes yet I now get the sound and clarity that I was missing before. It is also totally reversible if I should ever I feel the need, or upgradeable should I decide that I actually do want the next speakers up or to add the bass speaker.

Jon has recently told me that he has access to some new speakers from Alpine that he feels might improve the set-up further and at some point In the near future I will be popping down there to have these installed so that I can do a comparison "" I will let you know the outcome once it's done.

I would recommend anyone that is thinking of changing their speakers to have a word with Jon Mitchell's as I know they are planning to do a postal service as well as an install service if you are local.[:D]

I got the call from Jon that the fabricated mounts and the other speakers were all ready to fit. I duly dropped into the workshops and the swap-over of these units proved fairly quick and painless. Again, Alpine replacements were installed and the original grills re-fitted so there is no outward sign of anything being changed in the car.

I also recently changed my front and rear speakers for some Pioneer e-motion TS-E1076 co-axials, using new speaker grill blanks (thanks to Richard Hamilton). The results are very good, but took a while to do.
Do you know how he fabricated the speaker grills to install your new speakers and what model speakers he used?
I'd be very interested to see his solution.

Speaker.jpg

Good write up Gizmo, I may replace my rears and dash board speakers, I don't have door ones. How much do you think this would be approx? Jon Mitchells is a mile away from me.

thanks

@ Rodney - I'm not sure of the model numbers to be honest, the fabrication is a "ring" that sits inside the original grill and allows the mounting of a speaker with any type of mounting points. I think the speakers might be the same as you have listed but couldn't swear on it. Happy to show you some time if we are in the same place with a Torx set!

@ Jamma - he is going to do a mail order kit too [:D] give him a call and ask

ORIGINAL: gizmo750

I would recommend anyone that is thinking of changing their speakers to have a word with Jon Mitchell's as I know they are planning to do a postal service as well as an install service if you are local.[:D]

where is Jon Mitchells' and does this apply to the later MOST systems,

I have an 04 C4S with the stereo upgrade (not Bose)

thanks

Ashley, they are based near Bournemouth (which is good for me as I'm about 10 miles away)

I can't see the MOST thing being an issue as this is the speakers and not the head unit but I would imagine they know about it already.

Mine is a pre-facelift 2001 so doesn't have the MOST issue

Jon had to get some mounting rings fabricated for the original speaker grills (dash and rear) so that standard 4 point mounting speakers could be fitted into them without cutting things about.
The mounting rings sound rather like these ones someone on Renntech was starting to produce back in 2006
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=8780
Looks like the images in the post are broken try link below
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?&autocom=registry&cmd=view_attach&type=registry_mod&id=2041
It appears life got in the way of getting the idea up and running as a proper product. I can't find any further referance to them.

Like the guy later in the renntech thread I bought a set of unused MB Quart RSC210 cheap off of Fleabay a few weeks back but haven't got round to doing anything with them yet. The idea was to replace the front dash set (mine is standard audio with no door speakers). I'm on the look out for a set of secondhand black speaker grills (the OPC want £16 each for new one's and I'm tight) so I can fit the new speakers to them and keep the originals standard so I can put them back if need be.

Good write up Gizmo!

I hope that now JMG are happy that your satisfied with the quality of the speaker package, they will officially release it as a product.

I had a sneek preview of the speaker kit a while back and was blown away with the quality! The adapters that Watlina linked to are real botch jobs compared to what JMG have done working with Alpine.

I will call Jon in the morning and see if I can get my car booked in for the speaker upgrade to the wifes Boxster and my 996, the bose system in both has got on my nerves and been the butt of my friends humour for some time now.

ORIGINAL: sarbirus

Good write up Gizmo!

I hope that now JMG are happy that your satisfied with the quality of the speaker package, they will officially release it as a product.

I had a sneek preview of the speaker kit a while back and was blown away with the quality! The adapters that Watlina linked to are real botch jobs compared to what JMG have done working with Alpine.

I will call Jon in the morning and see if I can get my car booked in for the speaker upgrade to the wifes Boxster and my 996, the bose system in both has got on my nerves and been the butt of my friends humour for some time now.

Have you the 6 speaker set up in your 996 or the 4 speaker one?

In the summer I sat in one of JMG customers cars who has been trialling the active bass units in a car with the bose system replaced with JMG alpine gear with its sub removed, and the sound quality was amazing from the active bass, much richer sound than the fuzzy Bose in my cars.

But Jon did not let me buy it back then because he was still working on the adapter package that gizmo has been trialling.

I hope I hear back from Jon tomorrow about prices, as long as its not a bank breaker I will be going for it.

Thinking about it, I have no idea what is a reasonable price, as long as its sub £1k I will be sold on two setups.

ORIGINAL: jamma

ORIGINAL: sarbirus

Good write up Gizmo!

Have you the 6 speaker set up in your 996 or the 4 speaker one?

Mine is the Bose, I guess in the 996 its classed as a 7 speaker option, if you do not count the tweeters as additional speakers.

The car I listened to was either a hifi six speaker one, or a bose one, in either case it sounded better than the Bose in my 996 or the mini Bose setup in my Boxster

My car has the standard 4 speaker set up and i jsut upgraded all 4 speakers using all the info from the forum. Got 4 new MB Quart DKG110 speakers from eBay which was much cheaper. They come with a separate ring for the speakers to mount onto which is the beauty as when you remove the original speakers from the grill, apply good quality velcro to the inside of the grille and outside of the mounting ring then stick them together. If you position everything properly, you can use 1 of the grille screw holes to fasten the ring down then bend the other tabs over and use self tapping screws to fasten them. The 4 speakers took me an hour to do properly. Forgot to take pictures to show on the forum. The speakers cost £140 for 2 sets. There is a good improvement in clarity. The MB Quarts are really well made.

Ashley, they are based near Bournemouth (which is good for me as I'm about 10 miles away)

But not for me as I'm in Durham[:mad:]

Thanks anyway gizmo. Presumably they have a webpage I'll check on there for more info
and perhaps make use of the postal service

ORIGINAL: piperboxster

In the summer I sat in one of JMG customers cars who has been trialling the active bass units in a car with the bose system replaced with JMG alpine gear with its sub removed, and the sound quality was amazing from the active bass, much richer sound than the fuzzy Bose in my cars.

But Jon did not let me buy it back then because he was still working on the adapter package that gizmo has been trialling.

I hope I hear back from Jon tomorrow about prices, as long as its not a bank breaker I will be going for it.

Thinking about it, I have no idea what is a reasonable price, as long as its sub £1k I will be sold on two setups.

Did you hear back ? I just heard back, see below:

We have been working for some time with the car audio division of Alpine to develop a 996 speaker package for several months and are very close to finishing the testing phase with two customer 996s currently testing the package. This work has been driven by the demand for a solution and by the poor quality of installations we have seen in person and on the internet.
[FONT=tms rmn"]
[FONT=verdana,geneva"]
This current package has been designed to use standard speaker grills without damaging or modifying the car in any way and to look totally standard while outperforming even the 996 optional Bose speaker package.

Testing will be complete in the next 10 days. Once testing is complete we will be offering the speakers at a special offer price of £300 for a 4 speaker car, and £400 for the 6 speaker cars with free fitting or free delivery for mail order customers until the end of december.
[FONT=tms rmn"]
[FONT=verdana,geneva"]
Once the special offer period is over, the price will go up to £400 for the 4 speaker cars and £500 for the 6 speaker cars, with installation costing £50 on 4 speaker cars and £150 on six speaker cars. or delivery being in the region of £20 for the 4 speaker cars and £30 for the 6 speaker cars.

Bose system replacement with the Alpine/9XX ones it seems are different prices, many more speakers.

The bad news I had today is that I need to wait for up to 2 weeks before the testing is complete on the 996 setup to get my 996 system replaced with the 9xx/Alpine setup :(

The good news is that a couple of days ago I had the Bose replacement items for the Boxster fitted to my Boxster, which Jon at JMG has done me a good deal on, in exchange for being their test subject for the Boxster platform! :)

It needs 8 to 10 hours use to be run in and at its peak, but it sounds fantastic already!

While I was there Jon showed me the 996 and Boxster components for the non Bose systems, in particular the dash and rear speaker pods using original grills.

If I can get it working, pictures should be bellow in this email!

first a picture of the standard Nokia speakers.. Yuk!

F5E1ED3AD90741FCBDBE25AC89C54A0B.jpg

Now the Alpine modified units with adapters for fitting to 996 dash grills with the wiring adapters to hook direct into the standard Porsche wiring loom without cutting it!

7B8FC099C0EF4AD881E02671D88A0B4E.jpg

Now for the side by side comparison.

Nokia standard item on the left... Alpine unit on the right

Look at the size of the magnet alone!

2273758ECDFC42278A31F6D6C4F91CCA.jpg

This picture shows what gets fitted to your existing dash pods and Jon assures me is included in the kit. (mail order or when installed at their workshops)

Jon has also said that there is no glue, sealant, or modification of your standard dash pods required.

You just unscrew the two screws that hold the dash pod in place

Remove 3 screws that hold your standard Nokia speaker in place

Cut the wiring to the tweeter and leave it in the grills

Insert the new speaker

use the 3 screws you removed from the standard speaker to hold the speaker in place with the two brackets included

refit the speaker into the dash using the 2 screws you removed earlier and plugging the speaker in with the standard wiring connector thats part of the Porsche loom.

685AC54A90A34E32A0405C8A236F4E2B.jpg

Been following this thread with interest. However, was quite shocked at the prices being quoted ... being a bit of a DIY person, how much were your new speakers on their own Richard (for a 6-speaker set) ? Just wondering what % of the price of £500 is speaker vs. mounting stuff ?

Also, wondering if JM's solution involves buying new grills all round - that would explain the glueing issue and the price.

I just removed one of my front speakers from the Boxster and it does seem to have 3 screws that hold the speaker into the grills.

I also just looked at the picture in Dan Pipers post of a standard speaker, and it has the holes where my speaker has screws. Its also missing the metal end clip on the fat end of the speaker grill which holds it in place in the dashboard.

But in the second photo, you can see the uprated speaker has the clip and the screws in place.

So are some of them glued?

Do some of them not have a metal clip on the end?

With the speakers, I guess it also depends on what quality level the speakers are. When I was thinking about doing my speakers as DIY two things struck me. One was the way that most people including hifi shops seem to butcher getting a speaker to work, the other was that some of the speakers available were seriously expensive for top end units (up to £600 a pair for the doors) and some were very cheap for about £25 a pair for the doors.

I guess it all depends on the quality level of the speakers at the end of the day, the MB quarts seem to fit if you want to use velcro, but looking at their specifications, they have a very low RMS and peak figure along with poor numbers for total harmonic distortion (if I knew what that means it would mean more to me)

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back