Menu toggle

981 Boxster & 987 Spyder comparision.

ORIGINAL: flat6

That's a cool pic fbr[:)]

Thanks, it keeps me sane!

...it'll pick up as the car gets older?

or when you get older? Enjoyed you 981 Cayman overview, will comment on reflection.

Talking of surface imperfection/detection (a la Lotus), on the way home yesterday I noticed some friendly locals making a determined effort to keep the 981 on the straight and very narrow.

9531CACEDB9541BE9D1929AE51DFA342.jpg

...or maybe I misconstrued their intentions and they are friends of MrD?

FBR

..To which the classic answer is - " Is that' a gun on the steering rack or is he just being friendly?

Certainly helps to sharpen the response of the 981's steering ;).

On a more factual note does anybody know the variable steering ratio of the 987 variants? The 981's variable steering ratio appears to be 16:5:1 (center position) to 12:37:1. I assumed they shared the same ZF rack but maybe that's not the case and could account for the observed differences in feedback.

FBR

Frank,

Can't answer your question I'm afraid but they'll be completely different racks of course: the 987 has hydraulic assistance whereas your 981's is electrically assisted. I would guess that the ratios are very similar but it's possible that small differences could account, in part, for feedback variances.

I've refrained from commenting on your post because I've had very limited experience driving a 981, but I have to agree with your observations and comments about the steering and chassis. I adapted very quickly to the electrically assisted steering, but then my everyday car is a mk5 Golf GTi so I'm very familiar with this set-up. I think that you've already made the point, but I think that it's important not to over-analyse individual aspects of the 981 package and just sit back and enjoy the drive..!

Incidentally, electrically assisted steering is still in its infancy. I can recall all the adverse comments about "feel-less" hydraulically assisted systems when they were first introduced, so we're probably at a similar stage now with electrically assisted systems. In 5 or 10 years time we'll all (including Mr D.!) be wondering what all the fuss was about.

Jeff

ORIGINAL: fbr

That's a cool pic fbr[:)]

Thanks, it keeps me sane!

...it'll pick up as the car gets older?

or when you get older? Enjoyed you 981 Cayman overview, will comment on reflection.

[:)] I'm the right side of 40, just, but it wouldn't be a glowing endorsement for the car if it was where I turned when I get old[;)]

Will look forward to your comments.

Hi Frank

I've dug out rob.kellock's 981 review. It's now on the current page (414) of our Spyder thread.

[:)] I'm the right side of 40, just, but it wouldn't be a glowing endorsement for the car if it was where I turned when I get old[;)]

Might distract the thread but I'll try. What is the right side of 40? Do I qualify?
ORIGINAL: Motorhead
Incidentally, electrically assisted steering is still in its infancy. I can recall all the adverse comments about "feel-less" hydraulically assisted systems when they were first introduced, so we're probably at a similar stage now with electrically assisted systems. In 5 or 10 years time we'll all (including Mr D.!) be wondering what all the fuss was about.
Jeff
Thanks for your comments - I thought it was just me. My first experience of non -assisted steering was a Dennis Pax, I think I was about 9 at the time! ;)

The best I can come up with on the steering ratios is:

987 - 17.1-13.8 variable

981- 16.5:1""12.4:1 variable

918 - 16.6:1-12.25:1 variable

991 Carrera 16.6:1-12.25:1 variable

991 Turbo 15.02:1-12.25:1 variable

The last four are of course the modern electrical assist variants ( the last three are for reference). I bet they all use the same type of ZF rack. I'm not sure what the on centre steering angles are, but I would guess at about 15 degrees. On the face of it it would appear that the newer variants have "quicker" racks (stands back for blast) but its difficult/impossible to assess the control setting of the feedback circuits for the degree of assist from either the hydraulic of electrical assist in response to driver inputs car speed and the other positional sensors in modern cars. Interesting?

Anybody add/detract any technical input?

FBR

Edit.. too many variables..
Edit edit Corrected the Turbo values for consistency, the first ratio is the on-centre value for all models.

Just between me and you:).

Your Cayman 981 mini-review is another hidden gem on the Spyder forum. I'm surprised you weren't bludgeoned with the blunt end of a GT2. You've taken a similar open approach to that of the PCNA article that was the thread starter.

I hope you don't mind but I've picked out a few things to comment on.

"These new cars offer a new kind of Porsche experience and anyone who is forward looking has the best daily driver Porsches in the new cars but unlike other marques, you don't lose any handling ability of the older cars, to gain some comfort. You might lose some feel but you'll get over that if you let yourself."

Clearly the subtlety of the feedback was not lost on you. Relax and ignore those inner demons! The question of the degree of feedback relates to individual experience and I've never driven of any sort of 987, day in and out, under the conditions that I drive my particular variant of the 981.

"If a Porsche is a weekend toy then I can see why different people will pick different eras, right back to the first cars of 50 years ago."

The "Toy" concept (often voiced) is a bit lost on me; I use mine as and when necessary. I prefer the concept of "downsizing". I'm most partial to your "era picking" idea. I was stuck with my era but was most fortunate to have the use of a LHD 911 in W. Germany nearly 50 years ago and I lucky to still be able to enjoy a Porsche in your era.

"..Though, push hard enough and you'll be surprised by the speed you're (eventually) doing when you look at the speedo. The ride is so well accomplished that you don't realise the speed you're carrying when you (eventually) get there. I could drive this car 500 miles and not feel tired. Then when pushing on through some corners it gives the same confidence that the Spyder does."

The "turn in" is excellent. I found that the "surprise" speed effect was more marked "roof up" in the Boxster than in the Cayman, with less frenetic engine noise & road roar in the Boxster's well insulated semi-hard shelled soft top. Top down the Boxster wins again; excellent wind rush without much buffeting, better intake & exhaust noise and less tyre roar. I suspect the tiredness defeating properties of either are linked to the unwanted "noise" reduction through the chassis, but it's clearly not enough to sap your confidence and hence awareness of the level of appropriate feedback whilst cornering.

"However, if the road surface is knackered, you don't need to back off as it soaks up the bumps better."

That seems to be a general property of the 981 chassis, even with 20" wheels; I've driven the standard suspension in both the Boxster & Cayman and would agree. The PASM variant is similar but better, you don't get the "patter" at slower speed which irons out as you press on with the non-PASM option. PASM's adaptive ability is excellent, and as I've already said I leave it in the "Sport" setting. For my pattern of road use it's too much of a fiddle to keep switching between the settings. I sometimes wonder whether the option is available as a sales ploy. With two dynamically closely overlapping settings why not you have one to encompass both? Maybe that's the next iteration. Some may find this controversial but I find PASM is simply more accomplished than the standard suspension. I'd be interested to try the X73, but it wasn't available at the time so I can't comment.

"I do also wonder if the steering set-up on the 981 Cayman is different to the 981 Boxster as this car felt less "˜floaty' than the Boxster I drove."

I couldn't really detect any difference between the steering of the Cayman & Boxster but then again on the road I couldn't detect any real difference in the "stiffness" of the handling between the two. I stepped from one to the other so maybe I was adapted to the rubbish steering! Both the 981's go where you point them, let you know where they're pointed and the stay pointed. I be interested to know whether the hydraulic and electric assist share the same steering rack. I assume they're both ZF?

"Now, I'm not saying that the 2.7 with 275bhp isn't going to be enough for some.."

I'd generally agree. Had a rare chance to try the 2.7 but my choice was dictated by the less frantic hill climbing ability of the 3.4. I prefer the smoother power delivery of the 3.4 and I think it's a better matched with the PDK gearbox.

"The 981's (brakes) are well sorted in that there is much better initial bite without being snatchy ..."

The brake feel, feedback & performance are outstanding. For some of the roads I travel they can occasionally be a little irritating on loose surfaces. Testing them on the PEC high friction surface (with somebody else's tyres) was stimulating. With practice you can get surprisingly close to the end barrier. The brakes and steering make "Game Dodging" a pleasure, but only up to the point that you don't!

"..In the 981 I think the gear lever is positioned to be in closer reach from the steering wheel, like in a race car, which clearly has an advantage if you're going to be on track more than on the road. I guess it just depends what you prefer and whether you like to lean forward or lean back. If you go for PDK you don't have to concern yourself with it and I'd for sure be with PDK in a 981 anyway."

Even though mine is PDK, I agree with the positioning of the lever. I do have the paddles but only use them as a manual override function in Drive (auto). For full manual operation, I'm old fashioned and prefer to use the gear lever. One small point, I habitually disable the stop-start function which, for relaxed driving in auto mode, switches off the sometimes lethal coast function on relaxed corner approaches; more readily holds manual override downshifts through corners; and reduces the propensity to hunt for higher gears on short straights between corners. For momentary pauses the stop-start function is annoying and I rarely drive in stop-start traffic. Puzzled by PDK debate, they always seem to miss the point that it's about when you change gear not how?

Finally, the following interesting comment (of many) taken from one of your posts on this thread.

"..I've no doubt the 981 has turned out exactly as Porsche has intended but I think it is directed at a wider audience, to take sales from customers at competitors such as Merc etc. who may have found a Porsche not relaxed enough. There's no less capability for those who want a Porsche to be a Porsche but I think it takes a different mindset to find it."

Imagine yourself back into the era of transition from 356 to 911 and re-evaluate that statement.

Sorry for being a bore.

FBR

..back to the thread..

The best I can come up with on the steering ratios is:

987 - 17.1-13.8 variable

981- 16.5:1""12.4:1 variable

918 - 16.6:1-12.25:1 variable

991 Carrera 16.6:1-12.25:1 variable

991 Turbo 12.25:1 - 15.02:1 variable

The last four are of course the modern electrical assist variants ( the last three are for reference). I bet they all use the same type of ZF rack. I'm not sure what the on centre steering angles are, but I would guess at about 15 degrees. On the face of it it would appear that the newer variants have "quicker" racks (stands back for blast) but its difficult/impossible to assess the control setting of the feedback circuits for the degree of assist from either the hydraulic of electrical assist in response to driver inputs car speed and the other positional sensors in modern cars. Interesting?

Anybody add/detract any technical input?

FBR

Frank,

An interesting spread of data but I'm not sure that we can read too much into the differences car-to-car. Factors such as steering geometry (castor in particular?), rack location and steering arm length will play their part in determining steering forces and as you say, calibration of the hydraulic or electric feedback circuit will be a critical factor governing steering feel. Apparently the 991 GT3 development team worked very hard to improve steering feel compared with the 991 Carrera and it would be interesting to see where its steering ratios fit into the above set.

Incidentally, for cost reasons the 996 and 986 shared the same front end structure back to the bulkhead/A-pillar, as well as the the front subframe, steering and suspension components . I'm not sure whether or not this is also the case for the 997/987 and 991/981 series cars.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, but isn't the ratio that between the steering wheel rotational angle and the steered wheel turned angle? Wouldn't this be independent of the Archimedes bits in the middle? Given the chassis geometry would affect the overall response to the steering input, much like the control systems, neither would influence the ratio or am I wrong or have misunderstood your point? Not really thought about for some time so it is a genuine question.

I've only crawled around the 981 & 991 (base) underpinnings but they give a strong impression of being very similar forward of the seats.

FBR

Thanks for the feedbak Frank. It's hard to measure any car after being spoilt by the Spyder. Ulimately there isn't much that can touch how a Spyder goes about its work, except of course the Cayman R http://www.porscheclubgbforum.com/tm.asp?m=719756&mpage=36 , (other than cars that are even more uncompromising but don't necessarily perform any better) and driving anything else does feel like a retrograde step, compared to the Spyder. That is, compared to the Spyder on its terms, which isn't the best measure for other cars that aren't trying to offer the same experience.

It's hard to clear your head and measure other cars on what they are supposed to be, but also, thinking about the next car after the Spyder it depends if you want more of the same type of experience. If I wanted to stick with something uncompromisingly 'sharp', i'm tempted by the 4C. If I want effortless power and torque and the increased usability of 4 seats, i'm tempted by the 911 turbo.

Having the Spyder has somehow made me want to overlook the 981S as "Porsche still holding a little bit back". That may be true to some extent as the GTS is coming so soon. Then with the GTS coming so soon in the 981 cycle, there must be an even hotter one coming mid-way through or towards the end. Porsche's fixation with product placement (Boxster vs Cayman vs Carrera) has meant that they've forced the engine dept to turn the wick down on the 981 to below that of my car and the Cayman R and it just leaves me wanting a bit more. I'm a bit crude in my wants from a car and pressing the loud pedal and getting more power than I can manage to learn how to handle in less than a few hundred miles is something I like. So, crudely, I want even more speed from my next car, and that will be some compensating thrill even if it is no better in the corners than the Spyder. As the 981 goes no faster than my car, it's hard to get drawn to it currently. Had I never had a Spyder, the 981 as it is currently, would be the natural next step.

The difference between 981 Boxster and 981 Cayman steering I don't think comes down to open vs closed car stiffness. The Boxster will be plenty stiff enough without a roof. I think they are just set up different, one not being inferior to the other, but feel different. Maybe they think that 'wind-in-the-hair' types typically have a different driving style preference to 'wanna-be-track-master' coupe types [:D]. I don't know.

I don't have any knowledge of steering racks and steering ratios to contribute. I can only guess that control systems can be set to amplify or attenuate whatever level of inputs and outputs. The reason I likened the 981 power steering to a Honda I used to have (which wasn't intended to be derogatory) is because the steering resistance is light. That makes it effortless to turn the steering wheel but it seems to me to come with a sacrifice of what we can gauge from steering resistance. So the 981 power assistance compared to the Spyder feels like you are driving on ice (OK that it an exaggeration) because there is little resistance and the Spyder feels in comparison like the power steering fluid needs topping up. Again that is an exaggeration, but you get a feel for the resistance the wheels are getting against the tarmac and hence you use that to measure guage the grip you're getting. You don't get that in a 981 but then you have oodles of grip and have to retrain yourself to 'blindly' exploit it. 'Blindly' is again an exaggeration.

As for sharpeness of the steering I guess that does have a lot to do with the roll allowed in the suspension. A normal car, set up to to be comfortable has to be soft enough to absorb a good amount of bumps. That softness results in roll when you turn and the inertia of the sprung body can depart from the unsprung bits at the wheels. A stiffer suspension reduces roll so the steering will be sharper as the body is not left to lurch its mass around due to roll, swinging its mass in a slightly delayed direction to the wheely bits and combatting with where the wheely bits are trying to go - centrifugal forces and all that good stuff. (PASM of course works best to minimise suspension travel (roll) when turning hard and soften it off when not) I think that's all it is and a standard 987 will not be any 'sharper' than a 981. The Spyder and R and of course 981 X73 are set up to permanently minimise roll, at the expense of comfort.

Where all the 981 owners are is a mystery. Surely they're not all city bankers who don't join car clubs  Maybe a higher percentage of Boxster club members are used car buyers and it'll pick up as the car gets older? 

or when you get older?

Might distract the thread but I'll try. What is the right side of 40? Do I qualify?

[:D]
Wasn't any deep meaning to it. I only said that because it was as if you were saying I'll get a 981 when I'm older, as if to say that they are for older people[:D]. I know that's not what you meant[:)]

Thanks Jeff, but isn't the ratio that between the steering wheel rotational angle and the steered wheel turned angle? Wouldn't this be independent of the Archimedes bits in the middle? Given the chassis geometry would affect the overall response to the steering input, much like the control systems, neither would influence the ratio or am I wrong or have misunderstood your point? Not really thought about for some time so it is a genuine question.

I've only crawled around the 981 & 991 (base) underpinnings but they give a strong impression of being very similar forward of the seats.

FBR

Frank,

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree but my take on this is that the ratios you've quoted are the actual rack ratios rather than the installed ratios. Difficult to get your head round the ratio for a rack and pinion system (rotational to linear motion) but I presume lock-to-lock on the rack corresponds to 360 degrees of arc (much easier to calculate the ratio for the worm and peg/roller steering box with a drop arm which probably featured on that old Dennis Pax http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1955_Dennis_Pax_(PFG_246)_flatbed,_2012_HCVS_Tyne-Tees_Run.jpg ). If it is the actual rack ratio, then factors such as rack position and steering arm length will affect the overall ratio between the steering wheel rotational angle and the steered wheel turned angle.

According to this article, it would appear that the 981 and 991 share the same front structure and front bulkhead. Probably the same bonnet, too: http://www.autozine.org/Archive/Porsche/new/Boxster_981.html

Unlike the 986/996 and 987/997-series cars, the doors aren't common on the latest cars, although the door base structure may well be the same.

Jeff

P.S.

I should have also said that a stiffer suspension forces more energy from the mass into the tyres, making them work harder and giving more grip. So the feeling of more sharpness will also come from there. When PASM is running soft until it detects hard cornering, it will not be as 'sharp' as a stiffer set-up.

When PASM is running soft until it detects hard cornering, it will not be as 'sharp' as a stiffer set-up.

It reacts surprisingly quickly but I can see the attraction of an overall firmer,lower & predictable suspension setup for more sporty activities. I find PASM is better day to day on the twisty ups and downs with less than perfect surfaces and uneven cambers.

ORIGINAL: Motorhead
Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree but my take on this is that the ratios you've quoted are the actual rack ratios rather than the installed ratios. Difficult to get your head round the ratio for a rack and pinion system (rotational to linear motion) but I presume lock-to-lock on the rack corresponds to 360 degrees of arc (much easier to calculate the ratio for the worm and peg/roller steering box with a drop arm which probably featured on that old Dennis Pax http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1955_Dennis_Pax_(PFG_246)_flatbed,_2012_HCVS_Tyne-Tees_Run.jpg ). If it is the actual rack ratio, then factors such as rack position and steering arm length will affect the overall ratio between the steering wheel rotational angle and the steered wheel turned angle.

According to this article, it would appear that the 981 and 991 share the same front structure and front bulkhead. Probably the same bonnet, too: http://www.autozine.org/Archive/Porsche/new/Boxster_981.html

Unlike the 986/996 and 987/997-series cars, the doors aren't common on the latest cars, although the door base structure may well be the same.

Thanks again Jeff. It's surprising the degree of overlap between models. Intriguing comments on the 981 steering feedback!

Not sure how Porsche define their steering ratios, but I suppose the point I was trying to make was that there wasn't in reality much difference in the operational bits of the hydraulic or the electrical assist. Both have very similar ZF variable steering racks with a choice of complex plumbing or complex wiring to make keep your foot of the dash when cornering ;).

My foot was on the dash of an even older Dennis than you referenced, we did have more of the later variants but it was the older one that I was piloting on a short journey between workshops. Looked a bit like this...

5863423364_d64d8bea12_o.jpg

...Bit of a contrast to a Spyder, but it's a nice picture ;).

FBR

I find PASM is better day to day on the twisty ups and downs with less than perfect surfaces and uneven cambers.

Agreed. Better for a daily driver to live with every day.

Yes Frank, a very interesting thread and a great pic too. Those were the days: no assited steering, with a bit of slack in the sytem and some kick-back; no doubt. Things that would be unacceptable today.

One point to remember is that PASM is an active system and when in either mode will adapt to your driving style. Having said that, Sport mode on my 987S is generally too harsh for me on anything other than good, smooth surfaces, but sometimes I do persevere with it. It sounds as though Porsche have taken it to a new level with the 981 though.

Jeff

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back