Menu toggle

Am I expecting too much..??

me too [&o] but don't be put off, that's an opinion and there are equally experienced 911 owners here including myself at 27 years of ownership and knowledge including mechanical maintenance and rebuilding, refurbing, bodywork, electrical etc. who have a slightly more optimistic view of buying old cars, for that's what these are now - old cars. When you've bought the car even then you will be looking at doing periodic work, I had B-post work done last year and expect to have to maintain the bodywork for as long as I keep it , that's part of owning a 'classic' car.

I agree to Dr Dave to a point. I to went through the search and found nothing but crap. But keep looking and the right car will appear. I,m on my second 911 and to be honest i have paid for nothing more than routine servicing and the odd job here and there. What you do have to bear in mind is that you are looking at old cars here so they will all have an issue. If you plan to use it as a weekend fun car then some issues can wait to be fixed. Part of the fun is tinkering around with them. I admit you the last thing you want is a pup which requires a re-spray and a re-build. I am going to put myself in the line of fire here, but whilst this forum is very usefull and i have gained some very valuable info you will get 101 different opinions. I only live in Manchester so not far away from you and if you want to see what you can get for 10-14k give myself and my pal Andy (Whitechameleon on here) a knock. We would be more than willing to show you our respective 911's so that you can see that you can get a very sound car for your money. But you have to hunt them down. Best of luck Dan.

ORIGINAL: 2.4te

Bronco,
In essence, the following is something I posted about a year ago:
A sense of moral duty requires that I put my 2 cents in here, despite risking offending fellow 911 enthusiasts here. First, let me say I've got an early 911 ('72) that I've had for 6 years and have just put a new engine in it and service it myself, so am reasonably experienced with 911s and can speak with some authority. I spent 18 months looking for this car when I lived in California- there are a lot of rusty 911s out there, even in California (half of that state is coastal = sea salt).

In January of last year, I decided I wanted an SC or 3.2 as a daily driver for £10-12K. I spent a lot of money travelling to look at cars that were totally misrepresented over the phone, got shafted by owners who sold their cars knowing I had bought train tix to view theirs, inlcuding PCGB members, etc, etc. I did not see a single car that I would waste my money on. At £10-12k, you will be VERY lucky to find what it sounds like you are looking for. Ignore the crap in 911 & Porsche World on buying these cars for £10k, they are not genuine articles (I cancelled my subscription to this magazine because I feel very strongly about this issue).

I then decided to up my budget and looked at some later 3.2 Carreras. Still nothing I would put my money into, unless you can live with the constant threat of corrosion or an engine rebuild (you usually can find a car that will need either a body restoration or an engine rebuild, sometimes both). These cars DO rust, despite being galvanised. The only thing I could find were mint cars that are top money and too nice to use (ie- you will pay massive depreciation if you do).

Then I upped my budget further and looked at 964's. Still no joy. Take for instance an apparently beautiful car with 60k and FPSH + many bills. I had a PPI done on this car (another £150). It needed, at conservative estimate, £7k's worth of work to sort it out, and the owner was asking £17.5k.

So, I had three PPI's done and didn't buy one of the cars, and remember, I'm quite experienced with these cars, but not an expert. Let me reiterate, at £10-12K, you could very well get yourself into deep financial trouble with a 911. I honestly, from first hand experience, don't think you can get a RHD 911 at that price that you can use properly, without putting a ton of money into it. The cost to sort out any corrosion is going to be massive. If you find corrosion somewhere, I guarantee it will be elsewhere on that car, you just haven't found it yet. And we haven't talked about engine or gearbox rebuilds yet. True, these engines are bulletproof, but in the UK, the salt that is put on the roads corrodes the studs that run from the crankcase, through the cylinders and hold the heads down. If even one of these goes, you're looking at £2.5k.

So, you might be asking. How did I resolve my situation? I took the advice of a local independent whom I spoke to before seeing my first £10K SC. He told me not to do it, but to consider a 968. I told him it had to be a 911, even though I've already got one. Those front engined, water cooled cars are not real Porsches.

Then one day, 6 months into my hunt and totally demoralised by the poor quality of 911s on the market (the best ones get snapped up immediately), I tested a 968. It was a revelation. 240bhp and a six speed gearbox. Not the aural or visceral stimulation of my early 911, but one heck of a car and eminently suitable as a daily driver. A very under-rated car that must not be compared with a 911, but is very quick and handles beautifully. So after looking at 5 968s, I bought one in budget and with considerably lower running costs and much higher peace of mind. It's a tremendous car.

Food for thought. I wish you luck in your search, but please, be very careful.

David

PS: Yes I know there's nothing like the thrill of taking a 911 to the red line or willing yourself to hold the throttle deep into a sharpening corner to avoid the dreaded trailing throttle oversteer, but try describing these passions to someone who has spent every penny of his/her savings on that £10-12k 911, and then has to pay for the £10k body restoration or the £5k top end rebuild (or both). That visceral stimulation pails into insignificance compared with the consequent financial anxiety.

I am not about to argue with you (its your experience after all), but as an observation, you must be incredibly picky or just damned unlucky [:)] I tend to take a more optimistic view of sellers and their honesty (and I hope when I have sold things to forum users that they have found me to be fair and honest also) and the result seems to be that I meet honest like minded people who treat me fairly. Maybe I am just a sucker, but I have yet to be burnt too bad? Maybe you are just particularly risk averse?

I had owned a 72 911 prior to my Carrera and been thru a ton of problems with that car, but probably no more than you might expect on a car of that age and at that price. I knew better, but I bought the first Carrera I looked at - from Henry Firman at 911Virgin as it happened. I bought my late 1989 G50 car for £12,500, but there was a catch. I knew from the inspection that it had been in an accident, so I got it inspected at JZM. It looked well repaired, but it was not 100% straight. Henry and I agreed to split the bill basically, so it got the suspension and engine/gearbox pulled out, got put on the jig and pulled straight. A few other things got sorted out and I walked away with a very late, lowish mileage G50 3.2 for under £14,500. The point of the story is that there are very few cars that have not had an accident of some kind in their 16 to 25 years on this earth, but (and its a big but), all these things are fixable. If you know what is wrong and buy from a reputable vendor or a willing private seller, you can work out a deal and get a car that you know is fixed properly. To expect perfection seems IMHO to be silly - not to imply that you did expect perfection.

Since that time, the only things I have had to spend money on in 5 years of ownership are, a replacement steering rack (probably accident damaged, but who knows), a bubble of rust round the windscreen (from poor replacement presumably), a replacement AFM to cure the hunting at idle issue and a bent brake hard line. Now, I also have a 2 inch thick folder of bills from upgrades, modifications and stuff that wears out from track use, but that is a different story. If I ever sell my car the lucky buyer will get an old chassis, but most of the rest of the car will be new.

I do take some issue with the costs though. I had to have one side of the car repainted after someone crashed into it when it was parked outside my house. That was £3,000 but it could have been done more cheaply. My repairs on the jig were under £4,000. I had the roof repainted with the windscreen out for the rust bubble which was from memory a few hundred. I hate to think what would require £10k to repair! My car will never win a concours, but it kind of shiny and rust free and straight. To spend any more money for a higher std of finish on a car of this value is stupid IMHO. Earlier this year I had the engine rebuilt with new rings, stretch type rod-bolts, a full top end including hot cams, Ti retainers, race valve springs, head studs, SSI exhaust and stainless muffler, backdate heat and plate all tinware and new 930 Sport clutch and lightweight aluminium pressure plate - all for not much more than £5,000. I know, I got a screaming deal, but you can do a topend rebuild plus a fair bit more for £5k pretty easily. You can cut my parts bill by a lot, but then I now have a virtually new, free revving, 260hp engine that is built for 7500rpm and which screams its little head off from 4000rpm up. If I had spent the better part of £5k for a std 230hp engine I would be gutted.

The thing is, these cars are not new. You need to budget for repairs. I think you need to budget for a top-end in the first 5-10 years of ownership. Most of the 3.2s wear out valve guides. Mine at circa 75,000 miles used virtually zero oil but still showed significant valve guide wear once opened up. Maybe a gearbox rebuild should also be budgetted for if its a 915 in particular. The cars don't depreciate, so £5k over 5 years isn't really that bad in the context of new car ownership.

Should one buy a 968 instead? Rationally, maybe you are right, but if you want a 911, then its like an itch you just can't scratch and the 968 doesn't even enter the equation. you already had a 911, I didn't [:D]. For me and many others it was never even an option. Now a hot, modified 944T? Maybe, but that's another project altogether!

My $0.02 of advice? Find a half decent one, get it inspected, fix it up and drive the living daylights out of it. Its only money and you only live once. Of course, the flipside of free internet advice is that its also worthless [;)][;)][;)]

HTH
Richard

ORIGINAL: porkersc

I agree to Dr Dave to a point. I to went through the search and found nothing but crap. But keep looking and the right car will appear. I,m on my second 911 and to be honest i have paid for nothing more than routine servicing and the odd job here and there. What you do have to bear in mind is that you are looking at old cars here so they will all have an issue. If you plan to use it as a weekend fun car then some issues can wait to be fixed. Part of the fun is tinkering around with them. I admit you the last thing you want is a pup which requires a re-spray and a re-build. I am going to put myself in the line of fire here, but whilst this forum is very usefull and i have gained some very valuable info you will get 101 different opinions. I only live in Manchester so not far away from you and if you want to see what you can get for 10-14k give myself and my pal Andy (Whitechameleon on here) a knock. We would be more than willing to show you our respective 911's so that you can see that you can get a very sound car for your money. But you have to hunt them down. Best of luck Dan.

I know the search can be difficult, but there have been a couple of great looking cars on this forum alone in the last 2-3 months. They were offered for sale by guys who seem pretty straight up judging by their past forum posts.

PS - I know I am replying to the wrong post but I was only joking about the brown - it sure looks brown anyway. I have a shoulder pads and white shoes, bright red 1980s 911, who am I to comment on taste!

Bronco, your budget is a bit low and you will need to budget a couple of grand to get the car right once you've bought it - hopefully not required but even a set of tyres will be £400-500.

But if we're talking purely purchase price then I believe that you can achieve a decent G50 boxed 3.2 Carrera, simply by buying a white Targa as both the colour and the roof are the least desirable and therefore command less money.

I bought and sold a GPW Targa for £12.5k so I know it's possible and it was in reasonably good nick - the Seats were a little scruffy and there were a couple of small bubbles under the paintwork but those are easily fixed and it was a very sound and mechanically fine little car.

I can recommend the buyers guide on this site www.performance2and4.co.uk which will really help you separate the good from the bad.

As for the 968 angle - great option and very nice car but if you want a 911 then you want a 911 and a 968 won't scratch that itch.

Having the pleasure to have owned and driven a variety of Porsche's. I cannot agree with the comment that water cooled front engine cars are not real Porsche's.

I also have to admit, after my Taxi ride home in a Cayenne last night (after the Cayman launch) in a snow storm drifting all over the place (deliberatly) it only further bolstered the opinions I had after taking a Cayenne Turbo around Bedford Autodrome.

Enjoy the search you are having anyway. One is bound to turn up. It took me six months to track down my SuperSport, then found one for sale a few miles away.

I don't remember anyone saying that front engined water cooled Porsches are not real Porsches. The only point I was making is that some people fall in love with the sound or shape or image or unique driving experience of a 911. A 968 (or other front engined Porsche) will not satisfy that love. Nobody said they are not great cars. Perhaps if you already have a 911 and are looking for a second/third car as a daily driver you can accept a 968 etc when you started searching for a 911 because you already have your 911 desires satisfied. If you are just looking for a "sportscar" then a 968 makes much better sense given the objective handling benefits, torquey speed, newness, price etc, but if you are looking for a "911" then a 968 doesn't really fit the criteria, does it? For a start, the engine is missing 2 cylinders and is in the wrong place!

You will see that we have ,in my opinion,two real Porsches;both are everyday drivers mainly used by my wife who started out in a 924Lux,then the 924S and had always wanted a911.The 924S is really like new with 78k miles,no rust an ideal second car,costs nothing to run and with its ideal balance ,great to drive quickly.I recently had 7/8 laps round Oulton Park behind many 968's on a novice day and it held its head up high,Who wants to sell a car like that at its current value of £3,500 so we kept it when the 964 was bought.Now at 84k,it's a supercar at mondeo money,fantastic to drive,people get out of your way on the motorway,has cost nothing apart from 1 rear wheel bearing,2 rear tyres,set of pads,change of brake fluid and 2 12k services at an independant after 41/2 yrs use.I would love a 993 but the964 is good.
Then again,a diesel BMW with 250BHP,500nm torque and DSC switched off can get quite exciting over 70mph.I never thought you could spin the wheels in an automatic.

First, let me say I've got an early 911 ('72) that I've had for 6 years and have just put a new engine in it and service it myself, so am reasonably experienced with 911s and can speak with some authority. I spent 18 months looking for this car when I lived in California- there are a lot of rusty 911s out there, even in California (half of that state is coastal = sea salt).

In January of last year, I decided I wanted an SC or 3.2 as a daily driver for £10-12K. I spent a lot of money travelling to look at cars that were totally misrepresented over the phone, got shafted by owners who sold their cars knowing I had bought train tix to view theirs, inlcuding PCGB members, etc, etc. I did not see a single car that I would waste my money on. At £10-12k, you will be VERY lucky to find what it sounds like you are looking for. Ignore the crap in 911 & Porsche World on buying these cars for £10k, they are not genuine articles (I cancelled my subscription to this magazine because I feel very strongly about this issue).

I then decided to up my budget and looked at some later 3.2 Carreras. Still nothing I would put my money into, unless you can live with the constant threat of corrosion or an engine rebuild (you usually can find a car that will need either a body restoration or an engine rebuild, sometimes both). These cars DO rust, despite being galvanised. The only thing I could find were mint cars that are top money and too nice to use (ie- you will pay massive depreciation if you do).

Then I upped my budget further and looked at 964's. Still no joy. Take for instance an apparently beautiful car with 60k and FPSH + many bills. I had a PPI done on this car (another £150). It needed, at conservative estimate, £7k's worth of work to sort it out, and the owner was asking £17.5k.

So, I had three PPI's done and didn't buy one of the cars, and remember, I'm quite experienced with these cars, but not an expert. Let me reiterate, at £10-12K, you could very well get yourself into deep financial trouble with a 911. I honestly, from first hand experience, don't think you can get a RHD 911 at that price that you can use properly, without putting a ton of money into it. The cost to sort out any corrosion is going to be massive. If you find corrosion somewhere, I guarantee it will be elsewhere on that car, you just haven't found it yet. And we haven't talked about engine or gearbox rebuilds yet. True, these engines are bulletproof, but in the UK, the salt that is put on the roads corrodes the studs that run from the crankcase, through the cylinders and hold the heads down. If even one of these goes, you're looking at £2.5k.

I think the point to be made here is that if you want a 911 and can't find an SC for £10k- 12k, then upping the budget a little and looking instead for a 3.2 is not the way to go. Ditto upping the budget again to £17k and looking at a 968. Sorry Dave but if you wanted a 911 in good but useable condition why not stick withan SC at the slightly higher budget. You can't seriously expect people to believe that there are no good condition SC's available around the £13k to £14k level? It sound like to me as if you talked yourself out of it along the way.[:-]

Don't disrespect that SC of Whitechameleons!!! It used to be my car. It is actually Rosewood metallic and in my eyes (and a lot of others to i may add) it looked the dogs whatsits. In my opinion you should buy off condition and not colour.

Yeah it looks OK ... all right it looks better than OK ..... but it is brown though :ROFLMAO: Bet you didn't get err Rosewood metallic for your next 911[;)]!?

Richard

2.4te said :

'I told him it had to be a 911, even though I've already got one. Those front engined, water cooled cars are not real Porsches.'

Hence my comments, for what they are worth.

Thanks for them words of advice Jerry. However, I think you've got me confused, as I haven't mentioned upping my budget. Fact is I can't. My origional shortlist of cars has been a little dissapointing but I haven't given up. I've now had my first trip in a 911, which was superb and has only galvanised my thoughts. I really really want one..It's now only a matter of finding that most elusive things.....the one. Great.

Bronco, at the risk of repeating whats already been said, stick with it as you WILL find the car your looking for and personally I think you will within your budget. What do you want to use the car for? Everyday runner or weekend toy. My personal expierence is based on a weekend toy. I bought LHD, 1988 Non-sport (no whale tale) 115,000Kms in slate grey. I've had the car 2yrs and its taken me to Italy via Switzerland and earlier this year to Le Mans where it will be going again next year. 50% of the anual mileage I do in her is on the continent so LHD really comes into its own here (my mate who came to Le Mans was cursing his RHD Z3 when it came to keeping up, buts thats another story!!) In my opinion my car is 95% perfect. Doesn't use a drop of oil and has no (as yet) rust bubbles. The front end could do with tidying a little as stone chips and slight bumber oxidisation has started. However, on a serious note that I'm sure will provoke a response from others, as much as we all love our Sc's or 3.2's (or any Porsche for that matter), you cannot ignore the number of newer models flooding the 2nd hand market. You can buy a 996 for round the 25k mark now. This can only have a negative impact on the value of our older cars. Don't get me wrong, I think in years to come the value of a completely sorted 3.2 will probaley be higher than that of a dog of a 996 but not yet, and in the meantime the newer cars (with very high running costs if you buy poorly) will knock the value of our older cars. Just look at the value of an older 2.2 or 2.4 in mint condition compared to the current price of any average 80's car. 12k puts you into the mint SC catagory, the very tidy LHD 3.2 or the slightly rough RHD 3.2 market. I had 13k to spend and went for LHD. My dream cost 12.4k. Keep looking, you will find what your after and whatever you opt for, unless your extremely unlucky, you'll just love every minute of ownership.

Bronco,

I agree with the above. Look carefully at LHD cars they are still much better value than RHD and as I suggested in my earlier reply you WILL find a good honest solid car for £12K. Don't be put off by a few cosmetic marks these can be sorted if the car is mechanically strong and hasn't spent the first ten years of its life exposed to the dreadful excesses of UK gritting/salt.

I disagree completely with the previous reply suggesting that second hand 996s flooding the market will knock down the values of our cars.

I'm afraid I'm NOT one of the alarmingly large number of people who seem to take as much interest in how much their vehicle is likely to appreciate as how much THEY enjoy and value their car for what it is - a sporting driving instrument! (e.g. I have always loved Clubsports but there seems to be a dicease that affects SOME afficionados of this model to talk more about the values and future "market" of their cars than the sporting/engineering excellence of the model - Clubsports like all 911s deserve to be cherished by driving enthusiasts and not become some form of currency for antique dealers!) Having said all this I'll now be rather hypocritical and start to indulge in some speculation myself! .....

Of course nobody wants to buy a vehicle and loose a fortune in depreciation but this is only relevant if you are thinking of getting rid of your car fairly promptly after buying it. Late 993's already fetch more than early 996's because they are recognised as something different - i.e. the best quality 911 that porsche built that also retains plenty of the essential 911 character and joie de vivre. The 996 is an excellent car but is somehow not the same as all other 911s upto and including the 993. Quite simply there are too many 996s and they lack the character of the previous cars. The pre-impact bumper cars represent an earlier generation of 911s and their values have soared over the last five years. When I bought my 3.2 over seven years ago I remember seeing excellent 2.2 & 2.4 litre cars for around £14K that would now command in excess of £20K. The 3.2 911 was in many ways the last and best of the next generation of cars. It benefits from excellent build quality and a strong efficient and mechanically reliable powerplant but somehow still retains just enough of the raw appeal of the older cars to make life "interesting". If somebody told me my car will be worth £5K in two years time I wouldn't be too upset because I have no intention of getting rid of it; I enjoy it too much. I don't think this will actually happen though. The 3.2 falls neatly as the "best" (in terms of character/quality) 911 between the pre-impact bumper cars and the 993 - who knows what will happen but I think good cars will be increasingly sought after in coming years.

Buy now, forget future values for the time being and ENJOY!!

Bronco, I agree 100% with Andrew. I too have no interest in the value of my own car as its completely irrelevant to me. I own my dream and cannot see me selling her in the foresable future (unless they outlaw the combustion engine at some point and she becomes un-useable) My point on car value was intended to highlight the likelyhood of you being able to find the car your looking for at your budget. The 80's car's are certainly not appreciating at the moment unless your looking for a show car. Also, the darker months of winter are generally better times to buy as again car values seem to drop slightly over this time of year. Stay positive, it took me 6 months of looking and one lost deposit before I found what I was really after. I'm now 20,000 miles down the road and still loving every minute!!

ORIGINAL: Bronco

Thanks for them words of advice Jerry. However, I think you've got me confused, as I haven't mentioned upping my budget. Fact is I can't. My origional shortlist of cars has been a little dissapointing but I haven't given up. I've now had my first trip in a 911, which was superb and has only galvanised my thoughts. I really really want one..It's now only a matter of finding that most elusive things.....the one. Great.

Yeah I was posting that comment in response to Dr Dave with a quote from his post. I think you should be fine at 10-12k as you say it's just a matter of finding a good car and identifying what if anything needs doing and when so that you can budget/ plan any work. For what it's worth I'd suggest putting some money aside for year 1 regardless. GL[;)]

No i didn't, but to be honest I put colour very low on my priority list. I saw the Rosewood and it looked great in my (and a lot of other peoples eyes). My current 3.2 was only bought because i was offered the car about 12mths ago and i didn't have the funds at the time. I do honestly think that is you are buying these cars to drive and not pose in then colour should be way down the list.

Maybe having a choice of colours to look at would help rather than just one, I couldn't live with a colour I hated everytime I looked at the car, the colour is certainly important to me.

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back