Menu toggle

Are Spyders Becoming Extinct At OPCs!

You dont recommend OPC Notts then :p Some guy picked up the 997 on the same day as me! Your right, there not that bad, i guess its just something that plays on your mind.

ORIGINAL: rob.kellock I'd have had roof down today :-( Nice little B road exposed Cayman's dimwitted steering this morning, it's no Spyder... But Maddie preferred passengering in it because "it's not freezing and it would have been." I don't get weather anxiety too, a major Spyder flaw!
Back from 2 weeks away. I was itching to get back in the car despite the jet lag as I had barely got to drive it before I went away. Coming from a Spyder to this car gave it a lot to live up to in terms of driveability. Took it to my local driving roads. I took some spurs that I hadn't taken before, in order to extend the drive. The first thing I have noticed with this car is that the sport shifter is not as notchy when cold as on a 987. Granted it is a completely different transmission on this car but compared to a 987 it's like its not notchy at all. I had tried it with the standard shifter before having the short shifter installed but I can defnitely feel the shorter shift compared to other 997's I have driven. The clutch pedal is softer than my Spyder's was for sure. Braking - it felt more powerful, but with the extra mass the stopping distances are no doubt similar and that is how it felt. Nevertheless it certainly appeared to live up to Porsche's philosophy for the brake to stop the car as quickly as the car can accelerate (can't speak for persistent braking and brake fade vs aftermarket pads / discs but I won't be running the car hard enough or long enough for that to need consideration). Under hard braking it did feel to squirm a tiny fraction whereas the Spyder would brake so composed. Will have to keep an eye on that... Pushed it through some corners. Then pushed some more letting the turbos kick in more aggressively to see if that might unsettle it. It didn't corner as flat as the Spyder but then I didn't expect it to. The main thing I was looking for was whether it is as confidence inspiring to drive as fast as the Spyder through corners, however it chooses to bring that about. I needed a few more miles to decide... Then I turned the PASM to Sport Mode, something I tended not to bother with on my 987 Cayman S as the oscillations on that setting made it a bit bouncy on anything but a track smooth road surface or crashy on broken surfaces. However here it was pliant enough to work with on imperfect roads. Now it cornered flatter. Confidence rose to my usual levels[:)]. I find the steering pretty light and precise. Not sharp like the Spyder, but after reading about AWD numbness etc, I was expecting there to be some lack of response, despite driving a C4S around PEC before and really only finding its weight transfer the most apparent difference in the feel of its handling, which is a big difference, and made the car feel a bit lurchy. Here the car just seems well sorted. It doesn't feel apparent that it is AWD (coming from someone that has driven a Spyder as a daily for 2 years). Neither am I feeling the rear engined weight transfer that I felt in the C4S around PEC (coming from someone that has driven a Spyder as a daily for 2 years). Maybe its just me and others who have driven both will find them more night and day different. As I say, it is clear that the Spyder is more agile and sharper, but i'm looking mainly at what levels of confidence are offered and i'm driving the turbo as fast as I would the Spyder (though I accept that the cars are completely different and handle different and I am no Andy Fagan getting closer to the limits of these cars[8D]) It's no Spyder and I won't be watching prices and all that good stuff that you can do with a rare car like guys have, but i'm probably as happy as you Rob with taking the plunge into something different[:)] Now back to Spyders[:)]
14337234381_4b0128e9c1_z.jpg
14339789904_ebf17c49e8_z.jpg
14360753683_5c0e0f0d71_z.jpg

ORIGINAL: flat6 Back from 2 weeks away. I was itching to get back in the car despite the jet lag as I had barely got to drive it before I went away. Coming from a Spyder to this car gave it a lot to live up to in terms of driveability. It's no Spyder and I won't be watching prices and all that good stuff that you can do with a rare car like guys have, but i'm probably as happy as you Rob with taking the plunge into something different[:)] Now back to Spyders[:)]
14337234381_4b0128e9c1_z.jpg
14339789904_ebf17c49e8_z.jpg
14360753683_5c0e0f0d71_z.jpg
Welcome back flat6 and must say your new mistress is looking very sharp [;)] Look forward to further reports as you bond and any ideas what sort of mpg you will be getting after those spirited blasts[:D] and how many of those extra horses can actually be used on our great British roads today [&o]

Thanks Daro. It was showing 20.5mpg after the drive. I didn't look at the speedo much when accelerating. First gear is quite short and then 2nd gear is where the turbos really add thrust and the car's mass then has no relevance to the acceleration. Then by third I have to give it respect! I'd say that on anything resembling a straight I am going faster than the Spyder in a shorter distance. However, through tighter corners I was getting towards Spyder cornering speed towards the end of the drive with PASM in Sport mode. Once I get used to the corner entry speed and don't over-brake and scrub off too much speed, then i'll see if I can match the Spyder's speed through the corner and corner exit speed every time. It hasn't stepped out at the front or rear yet (not that I intend to get it to do that!) so, so far so good but still getting used to the car. What I expect is to try to match but not better the Spyder's mid-corner speed but then use the extra power on the way out to better the corner exit speed, if the chassis is up to it. Once I get used to the brakes etc I can be more consistent on corner entry. All good fun!

ORIGINAL: rob.kellock I personally preferred to keep it original - rare is the paint job that's better than the original with a bit of honest patina and that ages as well afterwards. Some OPC bumper resprays are terrible. It's not a new car, its done 22000 miles and the chips aren't that bad. I'd leave it unless you know a very good bodyshop.
Having seen your Spyder the condition at 22,000 miles was very good. Would have to agree with leaving it alone. Even with the paint code there can be multiple shades of the same colour and as you say, sometimes a re-spray can bring about disappointment unless it has been done very well so it looks like a factory job. Not saying there aren't places that can do that. Paint / body work is a bit of a grey area where the warranty is concerned. Have a check with your OPC about that. These cars are prone to developing corrosion around the front lid catch. It is rectified under warranty but only if the car passes a paintwork inspectionI believe. The thing with front end stone chips (and might it also be weathered around the side air vents?) is that you could have it done and pick up another stone chip on the way home[&o] I suppose it depends how much you intend to drive the car as to whether it is worth chasing your tail in that regard[8|] The more you drive it the higher the probability of it getting chipped again. If it was me i'd leave it until it really really needed doing.

I know my head is saying leave it, heart says do it! [:D].....And as mentioned i could get one driving home anyway!... For a 4 year old car and 22k on the clock it’s in very good condition, even if Rob visited the kitty litter a few times [8D] Looking around the car last night, i think my biggest problem is going to be tar marks on the white. Never owned a white car before but you can really see them. Autoglym intense tar remover was working quite well though.

It's funny, I never had a problem with them at all until I went to Scotland last October when it got covered in them. It had a layer of zymol wax less than a month ago which should assist with their easy removal although no doubt the OPC prep will have stripped that off. I found the Autoglym tar remover to be poor. A clay bar was remarkably successful though but you have to wash the car again afterwards and then stick a layer of wax back on it. flat6 glad you are back, back on here and enjoying the red car. I had to follow an MGRV8 as wingman to and from the Tatton park classic car show at the weekend and a steady cruise back up the M6 yielded 36mpg from the Cayman! I think we should get philnotts and tyinsky to meet us up at the Evo Triangle early one morning and see if our previous white cars are faster than our new red ones!!

ORIGINAL: rob.kellock I think we should get philnotts and tyinsky to meet us up at the Evo Triangle early one morning and see if our previous white cars are faster than our new red ones!!
White or Red [:D] WHITE is a combination of all colours within the light spectrum, and is associated with goodness, perfection, purity, innocence, truth, faith, sincerity, cleanliness, peace and harmony, refinement and dignity. Those who choose to drive a WHITE car are often ‘neat-freaks’ who value order and organization, and who prefer to be up-front and honest in both their professional and private lives. Driving a WHITE vehicle may indicate someone who is truthful and honest, and at times, fastidious and fussy. Drivers of WHITE cars can also be seen to be frivolous and lacking in financial caution. Those who drive WHITE cars are often generous and outgoing people who are earnest and accommodating, and often have very trusting personalities. People who choose to drive WHITE vehicles often have average self-confidence about the course of their lives, and are quite consistent in regards to their moods and attitudes. A clean WHITE car indicates someone who pays great attention to detail and who is cautious and careful in life. WHITE car owners can be critical and discerning, detail-minded and overly-cautious. A dirty WHITE car can imply that the owner is indifferent, lazy and sloppy. RED RED is associated with danger, excitement and speed. RED is an exciting colour that embodies vitality, fun, ambition and achievement. RED gives off a high energy vibration that has been found to raise the blood pressure and stimulate the senses, and those who own and drive RED cars may be inclined to take more risks than others. While RED cars don’t necessarily don’t go any faster than any other car, the owners of RED cars are most often the ones trying to get ahead of the pack. Those who choose to drive a RED car often resonate with high-action, sex appeal, moving quickly and being flashy. A RED car can indicate a passionate person who likes to take charge of situations, and who at times can seem a little ‘wild’. RED car owners are not afraid to get things done. RED cars denote those who have ‘high performance’ energy and drive, and who are full of zest, courage, ambition and verve. They can be impatient characters who live their lives at a fast pace. People who drive RED cars are often enthusiastic about life and are passionate about their interests and themselves. Those who drive a RED car can be described as being extroverted and ‘out there’. They have a ‘go-getter’ type of personality and enjoy adventure and action. Those who drive RED cars are ‘take charge’ kinds of people who like to get things done quickly and efficiently. RED car owners can be impulsive and aggressive and can be prone to emotional ups and downs in quick succession. Physically aggressive types of people will be attracted to a shiny RED car. BRIGHT RED subconsciously sends others the message that the owner is in a high income bracket.
porsche-boxster-987-05-12-spyder-S1191753-11.jpg
porsche-boxster-987-05-12-spyder-S1185188-5.jpg

ORIGINAL: daro911 White or Red [:D] Those who choose to drive a RED car often resonate with high-action, sex appeal, moving quickly and being flashy.
[:D][:D][:D] Yup, that's me, Cecil, John and Brian to a tee. We're sexy and we know it.

some good lines from evo this month on the Audi V8 spyder as he choose manual over DSG and even I would have had the DSG car. "The fact you have to interact with the car on a more physical level makes for a richer and more multi-faceted driving experience" But the satisfaction of downshifts- accompanied by sharps stabs of revs and the click of the gear lever never fail to put a smile on your face. "A drivers car you can drive" I hate to say it again but with todays cars being less involving even the GT3's of this world, owning/driving a manual is one of lifes joys. I even question myself thinking what sort of person even wants PDK in a Spyder ? my answers i'll keep to myself :p
SFPLImage65906.jpg

ORIGINAL: MrDemon I hate to say it again but with todays cars being less involving even the GT3's of this world, owning/driving a manual is one of lifes joys. I even question myself thinking what sort of person even wants PDK in a Spyder ? my answers i'll keep to myself :p
lol, i'll grab the popcorn [:D]

Thoroughly enjoying a car, which happens to be manual. I understand the manual vs automatic gear changing preferences. However i've never understood what added enjoyment there is from shifting gears manually with a lever vs shifting gears manually via an automated transmission. Not saying you're wrong MrD, just saying i've never understood it. Even yesterday my little boy was commenting on me having to take my hand off the wheel to change gear whilst blasting through a twisty section was keeping me busy and said he could see the attraction of paddle shifters on the wheel. He's only 9 but I couldn't disagree with him. I think because he's a kart racer he was thinking that he wouldn't like to be taking a hand off the wheel when he's racing through a high speed complex of corners. It's not lazy, just inefficient as you have added actions to cater for in your mind and if you want to drive right on the limit for lap after lap, you don't want even a millisecond of your brain power taken on something else. Some say that F1 driving is now easy because of automated transmissions. I don't think so because the tools allow the cars to be driven even faster than before and that requires more concentration. What makes F1 driving easier is things like having to nurse deliberately degrading tyres and therefore not driving flat out. Some times the drivers look like they haven't broken a sweat these days. One handed steering whilst cornering is compromised as some don't tend to steer equally with both hands. If you are turning right you may be pushing up with your left hand rather than tucking your right arm down to pull down (depends on seating position as to how much you can pull down). If you need to change gear whilst turning right and take your left hand to the gear lever, you're having to use your right arm to pull instead. That's just an arbitrary example but that's what I don't enjoy about manual shifting. Also I don't keep a tight grip on the wheel so that I can feel what is coming back through the front wheels. However, when driving one handed I tend to grip the wheel tighter as I don't have the other hand for balance. At that point i'm not as much feeling what the car wants to do but forcing the car to maintain a trajectory until I get my other hand back on the wheel and going back to a looser grip. It's only for a split second whilst changing gear but I don't enjoy it. If the enjoyment of manual shifting comes from actually moving the lever and pressing the clutch etc, then I can't argue with that, but don't understand it[:)]

ORIGINAL: rob.kellock flat6 glad you are back, back on here and enjoying the red car. I had to follow an MGRV8 as wingman to and from the Tatton park classic car show at the weekend and a steady cruise back up the M6 yielded 36mpg from the Cayman! I think we should get philnotts and tyinsky to meet us up at the Evo Triangle early one morning and see if our previous white cars are faster than our new red ones!!
I dunno, that tyinsky sounds like a bit of a rebel - will probably be nudging my rear bumper and forcing me off the road[:D]

Saw a white Spyder on my way home tonight in Notts - sure I've seen a pic of it on here - reg number ends in KAT?

ORIGINAL: flat6 Even yesterday my little boy was commenting on me having to take my hand off the wheel to change gear whilst blasting through a twisty section was keeping me busy and said he could see the attraction of paddle shifters on the wheel. He's only 9 but I couldn't disagree with him. I think because he's a kart racer he was thinking that he wouldn't like to be taking a hand off the wheel when he's racing through a high speed complex of corners. It's not lazy, just inefficient as you have added actions to cater for in your mind and if you want to drive right on the limit for lap after lap, you don't want even a millisecond of your brain power taken on something else. Some say that F1 driving is now easy because of automated transmissions. I don't think so because the tools allow the cars to be driven even faster than before and that requires more concentration. What makes F1 driving easier is things like having to nurse deliberately degrading tyres and therefore not driving flat out. Some times the drivers look like they haven't broken a sweat these days. One handed steering whilst cornering is compromised as some don't tend to steer equally with both hands. If you are turning right you may be pushing up with your left hand rather than tucking your right arm down to pull down (depends on seating position as to how much you can pull down). If you need to change gear whilst turning right and take your left hand to the gear lever, you're having to use your right arm to pull instead. That's just an arbitrary example but that's what I don't enjoy about manual shifting. Also I don't keep a tight grip on the wheel so that I can feel what is coming back through the front wheels. However, when driving one handed I tend to grip the wheel tighter as I don't have the other hand for balance. At that point i'm not as much feeling what the car wants to do but forcing the car to maintain a trajectory until I get my other hand back on the wheel and going back to a looser grip. It's only for a split second whilst changing gear but I don't enjoy it.
My advice FWIW is the last thing you want to be doing is changing gear mid corner or one handed steering at any time. Keep both hands on the steering wheel. All braking and gear shifts need to be dealt with in a straight line and before entering a corner otherwise you run the risk of a significant amount of engine braking, potentially locking up the wheels, transferring weight to the front wheels, all of which will result in a loss of grip - not a fun situation to be in. Have a go in a caterham without all the aids the Spyder has and you soon realise it's really good advice.

ORIGINAL: rob.kellock
ORIGINAL: daro911 White or Red [:D] Those who choose to drive a RED car often resonate with high-action, sex appeal, moving quickly and being flashy.
[:D][:D][:D] Yup, that's me, Cecil, John and Brian to a tee. We're sexy and we know it.
ORIGINAL: rob.kellock
[:D][:D][:D] Yup, that's me, Cecil, John and Brian to a tee. We're sexy and we know it. Quote and another line or so from the above quote said:- "RED cars denote those who have ‘high performance’ energy and drive, and who are full of zest, courage, ambition and verve. They can be impatient characters who live their lives at a fast pace. People who drive RED cars are often enthusiastic about life and are passionate about their interests and themselves. " That's sums us up![;)]

Haha. Doubt I would be quick enough to push anyone out the way. EVO is a loooong way for me otherwise I'd love to help try and prove white cars are faster or something. New car looks good Flat6. Got pulled over in your old one this morning and sat with the police for 20 minutes talking about the car. I'd forgotten to tell the insurance company when your plate came off! KAT reg car is the higher mileage one we were commenting on in here a while back that some of us thought was a bargain and others didn't.

ORIGINAL: DarrellWilson
ORIGINAL: flat6 Even yesterday my little boy was commenting on me having to take my hand off the wheel to change gear whilst blasting through a twisty section was keeping me busy and said he could see the attraction of paddle shifters on the wheel. He's only 9 but I couldn't disagree with him. I think because he's a kart racer he was thinking that he wouldn't like to be taking a hand off the wheel when he's racing through a high speed complex of corners. It's not lazy, just inefficient as you have added actions to cater for in your mind and if you want to drive right on the limit for lap after lap, you don't want even a millisecond of your brain power taken on something else. Some say that F1 driving is now easy because of automated transmissions. I don't think so because the tools allow the cars to be driven even faster than before and that requires more concentration. What makes F1 driving easier is things like having to nurse deliberately degrading tyres and therefore not driving flat out. Some times the drivers look like they haven't broken a sweat these days. One handed steering whilst cornering is compromised as some don't tend to steer equally with both hands. If you are turning right you may be pushing up with your left hand rather than tucking your right arm down to pull down (depends on seating position as to how much you can pull down). If you need to change gear whilst turning right and take your left hand to the gear lever, you're having to use your right arm to pull instead. That's just an arbitrary example but that's what I don't enjoy about manual shifting. Also I don't keep a tight grip on the wheel so that I can feel what is coming back through the front wheels. However, when driving one handed I tend to grip the wheel tighter as I don't have the other hand for balance. At that point i'm not as much feeling what the car wants to do but forcing the car to maintain a trajectory until I get my other hand back on the wheel and going back to a looser grip. It's only for a split second whilst changing gear but I don't enjoy it.
My advice FWIW is the last thing you want to be doing is changing gear mid corner or one handed steering at any time. Keep both hands on the steering wheel. All braking and gear shifts need to be dealt with in a straight line and before entering a corner otherwise you run the risk of a significant amount of engine braking, potentially locking up the wheels, transferring weight to the front wheels, all of which will result in a loss of grip - not a fun situation to be in. Have a go in a caterham without all the aids the Spyder has and you soon realise it's really good advice.
Totally agree. Would never change gear mid corner as that'd really upset the car. It's only if there is a combination of corners and i'm trying to downshift to enter the next corner but still have some lock on from the last corner. Good point though, may be better to find the best gear to get through a sequence of corners if possible but sometimes on the roads I haven't planned that well ahead to just reacting to how the road unfolds ahead.

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back