Menu toggle

Are Spyders Becoming Extinct At OPCs!

Whilst we wait for Andrew to get his new Spyder end of this month and as he currently owns a BGTS too and has had a Spyder Gen 1 & GT3 RS his challenge is to do 1000's of miles in five minutes and see if he agrees or disagrees with this new owners experiences to date :ROFLMAO:

No pressure Andrew:ROFLMAO:

[h1]Spyder driving impressions after Euro Pick-up.[/h1]I am just back from picking up my 2016 Spyder in Germany where I put 2000 miles on it through Germany, France, Switzerland, Italy and Austria. My background in the way of cars, so you know what I base my opinion. 2006 C4S, 2011 BSpyder, 2014 CS and 2015 BGTS w/x73. Most of my driving was during break-in period, but I did get some High revs in especially at Leipzig on their track and their car. This 2016 Spyder has the perfect power for its chassis. In Sport Plus, the tail is very happy to come out without much effort on switchbacks and tight turns when coming on the power early. It can be quite fun!! I sometimes wished in the BGTS that I had more power at lower revs, even though I felt power was fine when running it at 6000rpm and above. I think the power is perfectly dialed in for this car, if not a wee bit overpowered. When on the Autobahn on the last day, I had the opportunity to get it close to top speed. 172mph. The car pulled and kept pulling until I had to get on the [link=http://www.eurocarparts.com/brakes]brakes[/link] as a morning commuter decided to cut over (Autobahn is not what it use to be), it felt like its top speed of 180+mph could easily be reached. On some of the backroads I was able to run it up in the way of revs and it had me grinning big. Because this car is a different beast in the way of power of the BGTS, 45hp does make a difference. Handling: The [link=http://www.eurocarparts.com/suspension-and-steering]suspension[/link] X73 with beefed up [link=http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&index=automotive&keywords=sway%2Bbars&linkCode=ur2]sway bars[/link] rides stiffer than the BGTS. Not sure why, but I felt the BGTS had the best suspension X73 I have ever had on a Porsche. The suspension sure makes the car feel like it is on rails, maybe even more so than the BGTS albeit a rougher ride. Glad these cars don't have PASM, it was a reason why I didn't pursue the GT4. At 170+mph the car was stable, very stable and at lower speeds it is the same. Felt more planted than my '06 C4S at 170mph. Steering: Nice smaller steering wheel. Steering ratio is quicker as stated and is really nice with multiple switchbacks all day long!! However, I never felt it was an issue in the BGTS. One thing I do take issue with is the light [link=http://www.eurocarparts.com/suspension-and-steering]steering[/link] feel. On my BGTS I opt'd for no Steering Plus, I liked the heavy feel at lower speeds that reminded my sports cars of old. The steering is so light in this car that it is the hardest thing for me to get over. Don't get me wrong it was nice to have the lighter feel/less effort on the switchbacks of the Alps, but it could be a little heavier. I will probably get use to it over time and it will be a non-issue. It is the lightest [link=http://www.eurocarparts.com/suspension-and-steering]steering[/link] feel of any Porsche I have ever owned. The CS/BGTS might be 2x heavier. Even though the feel is light it is bang on and direct, very easy to get the car where you want it to go. Gearing: The 375hp helps the tall gearing with the better torque you have at lower rpms, but still the gearing ratios are too tall from what I remember in my 2011 Spyder which engaged the driver a little bit more with more frequent shifting. So, you hear about reviewers negatively referencing the tall gearing, but know the extra [link=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZGU4XRK]HP/Torque[/link] helps a little in my opinion. Short shifter is perfect. Roof: I loved the Tent of the 2011 Spyder even though it was a PIA. The BGTS power roof up to 30mph was ideally convenient and made me balk when thinking of ordering this car. The roof of this new Spyder requires you to get out of the car, but it is not bad. Sure the Wings of the roof require extra steps but if you have a passenger jump out it makes it quick work if the rain is starting. Just make sure to keep your fingers top side of the roof as the underside could take a finger off if not careful. Roof is not insulated and therefore is louder than a normal [link=http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&index=automotive&keywords=boxster&linkCode=ur2]Boxster[/link], but seems quieter than my 11 Spyder. Wings flap when you get to about 150mph+, but it's not that bad. I went with Bose as my experience with these Spyders are that they are louder than an insulated roof or coupe, so a decent stereo helps over the extra noise. Bose is fine, but found myself using the stereo only one time, because of the sound this car makes! Sports [link=http://www.eurocarparts.com/car-body-parts-and-car-exhaust]Exhaust[/link]: It is the same as found in the BGTS. But oh, it doesn't sound the same! I guess the sound is similar when rolling off the throttle or being off power, but under acceleration the sound is phenomenal, spectacular and raw, it is raspier (the bigger engine definitely changes the note under power). Even when you have the SE off, if you mash the throttle from 1/2 to full, the valves seem open up and the roar comes alive! Great surprise that kept me entertained the entire two weeks. I only turned on the radio once when the top was up and it was raining. I feel bad for the GT4 folks that have a fixed roof and lose some of this great sound. Even when I put of the non insulated roof in this Spyder it mutes this great soundtrack a little. I really loved the BGTS' SE, but this brings it up to another level! I got the [link=http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&index=automotive&keywords=standard%2Bseats&linkCode=ur2]Standard seats[/link] and they are very comfortable. Alcantara centers hold you in place nicely. No lower back issues even without a lumbar adjustment. I was doubting my decision to trade the BGTS in for this Spyder, but I remember how much I like the 2011 Spyder. That with the 45 hp bump made me make the decision. I don't regret my decision. This car is Loud, Lively and just a bit more fun that the BGTS. I won't use this car as daily driver and therefore I think it is perfect. The roof could be an issue for some and sometimes for me on short rides I may just leave the top up, especially for security reasons when parking. If I was using this as a daily driver or I knew I would get lazy and not want to get out to take down/up the top I might go with the BGTS. This is a great car and I was thrilled every morning I got in it! For those of you that ordered a [link=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003272YX4]Boxster Spyder[/link], good choice! For those of you that decided on a BGTS, I feel it is the best all-around [link=http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&index=automotive&keywords=boxster&linkCode=ur2]Boxster[/link] for ride feel roof convenience and everyday life, BUT just don't drive a Spyder!

Andrew Killington said:
That's a challenge!

car due to be completed tomorrow, so should be here by 20th, can't agree about the light steering, quicker yes but not lighter
Andrew after you have driven the above route you will be in a much better place to conclude :ROFLMAO: if you need a co-pilot give me a shout

80-porsche_boxster_spyder_11_3550602082640334897_2810c4a9709c3de0d4bf9a80a3e112e9fbae33fe.jpg

Andrew Killington said:
That's a challenge!

car due to be completed tomorrow, so should be here by 20th, can't agree about the light steering, quicker yes but not lighter

Andrew

Which Porsche Centre will you car be arriving at?

I would like to view.[8|]

Hi Andrew

Thanks for your reply.

I see from your aviator your location is Newmarket, i was kinda hoping she was coming into Cambridge.

Hi Andrew

Thanks for your reply. We look forward t seeing you at either a club night or Regional event.

Nexts years Region 24 events calendar will be published in January. We have something of the old favourites plus one or two new ones and maybe even a visit to Newmarket.

Today was my day to drive the 981 Spyder at PEC.

Foggy conditions but this didn’t stop the fun!

The only Spyder there was a yellow one with black alloys, PCCB, full leather with yellow stitching. Not my taste in colour but looked good.

Firstly i wanted to take the car around the local roads to get a feel of the ride which is much better than my 987 Spyder. I was trying to aim for every pot hole in the road and the new Spyder took them all very well. Zipping around the country roads it felt very stable and very fast. I really liked the gear box and how it just clicks into gear. The sound is amazing, different to the 987 Spyder i would say.

Coming back to the track i swapped into the 991 Orange GT3 RS they have there as the guy who was in that for the morning wanted a go in the Spyder as he had this on order also!.... So the 10mins in the GT3 RS that i had... I would sum up as a bit dull, boring.. PDK is not for me at all, it’s just too lazy. We both agreed the Spyder was the more fun out of the two and this would be the car we would pick every time. It was very obvs he did not want to hand the keys back but as this was my morning in the Spyder and i wasn’t willing to swap out into the GT3 RS!!

I can’t fault anything on the new Spyder. It’s very nice, more grown up looking, sounds amazing, handles likes it’s on rails and the interior is a very nice place to be. I felt like i could use the new Spyder a lot more than my current one, due to the ride, interior and ease of the roof slightly.

The experience confirmed to me to stick with the order. Do i sell the 987... TBC on that one.. Something is telling me to keep the 987 Spyder!

Picsss ( Sorry not very good )

I can totally i.d with your report except my GT3 experience was a 997 and I was bored after 15 minutes as that model just isn't for me as IMO it's for track use far more than street cruising

Getting back to the fun Porsche other than finding the steering a little to USA style light I couldn't fault the overall package v my current Spyder

Like you my jury is out on what to eventually do with the 987 [&:]

I hear what you are both saying about keeping both. But why would you do that?[&:]

[ul][*]Both look alike[*]And must have a lot of the same driving characteristics[/ul]Plum for the old or the new. Then what?

Well if you keep the old 987 you must have approx £65K to invest in something Porsche

And if you prefer the new 981 your you should have approx £45K from you sale of the 987.

I would keep one Spyder then look at something completely different.

jdpef356 said:
Plum for the old or the new. Then what?

Well if you keep the old 987 you must have approx £65K to invest in something Porsche

And if you prefer the new 981 your you should have approx £45K from you sale of the 987.

I would keep one Spyder then look at something completely different.

What you say must make sense as I have heard that from at least 4 non Spyder owners to date and now you - I think when push comes to shove then one Boxster Spyder has to be more than enough in reality :ROFLMAO:

the 987.2 car feels old school without owning and having the hassle of a old school car though, So the driving characteristics are quite far apart.

Can we forgive Porsche on the steering ? not really not when you get in them back to back, will you forget about the old steering in 3 weeks, yes, but why should we !

And while the 981 cars ride the bumps far better, it seems to take a bit of fun out of it.

Maybe new 981 Spyder owners should sell there 987.2 Spyder and buy an R, as it's daft having 2 soft tops. I def wanted one old and one new, and just went in the other direction and with GT4 and 987.2 Spyder.

Keeping both isnt sensible but i want to try both back to back for the first 1-3 months and then decide. Hopefully i wont have my fingers burnt if i do sell the 981 after 3 months. If i keep both i know i would be very protective over the 987 and it may become a waste just sitting there.

The other unknown is the value of the 987 will be in 5-10-15 years time.

Phil

The other unknown is the value of the 987 will be in 5-10-15 years time.

Phil

[/quote] Some of us on here will never know [:(]:ROFLMAO:

After driving the gt4 and I presume the 981 spyder would be similar to drive I would say I would keep the old Spyder over the new one infact I would stick my neck out and say you would be mad to swap old for new but just my opinion of course!Although the 981 has a more powerful engine I cannot see it being much quicker in real world driving and as mrD has showen a few more horses can be extracted !

I sold my SPYDER to go gt4 as soft top motoring ain't my thing although the 987 spyder is a wonderful car to drive and as I once said before I can see values exceeding the 981 Spyder in years to come!

From the 987 spyder where do you go if you want a coupe as the CaymanR never felt special to me like the spyder so unless I paid similar money for a mint,low miles 4-5 year old 997.2 Gts the gt4 was a no brainer!

But wether I keep I don't know yet as I think I need to spend more time than a few hours at PEC!

But steering is the first thing I noticed as soon as I drove the car!

[link=http://flip.it/r92w7]http://flip.it/r92w7[/link]

Spyder test :ROFLMAO:

OK, what is it?

A Porsche Boxster with an inferior roof mechanism.

Is that it?

Of course not. Being uncharitable, the Spyder is a mish-mash from the Porsche parts bin: drivetrain from the Cayman GT4, suspension from the Boxster GTS, electro-mechanical power steering from a 911 Turbo, brakes from a 911 Carrera S. But not on this one, which has the optional £4,977 PCCB ceramics.

I thought this was a roofless Cayman GT4?

Not quite. Same engine, but detuned by 10bhp, same six-speed manual gearbox with no optional paddle alternative, but the suspension is largely carried over from the GTS, rather than heavily borrowed from the 911 GT3.

Still, the Spyder is actually 25kg lighter than the GT4 (and 30kg lighter than the Boxster GTS) and this time the roof will stay on no matter how hard you drive it.

Come again?

Well, on the last one, the 2010 Boxster Spyder, the roof was a flimsy affair only warranted to 124mph. The new one is sturdier, and can hang on even at the claimed 180mph max. We drove the car in Italy back in the summer, but to truly test it we needed to drive it in the UK. In November.

Clearly customers expect proper weather protection, but are still prepared to faff a bit to get the roof down and expose the streamliners - those are the elongated twin humps.

So you use electrics to unlatch the roof from the header rail, but from then on a leg stretch is needed. You unclip the fabric buttresses, open the whopping rear deck, pull the roof back and then close it all in. You still get a boot front and back and, with a bit of practice, you should be able to get the whole job done in about a minute.

Then you get to enjoy the sounds?

I have to say the drivetrain is the highlight of this car, not just the sonics, but the whole operation and precision and delivery and intoxication of it. It’s just so beguiling and rewarding.

The 3.8-litre engine may have originated in the relatively ordinary Carrera S, but here, open and exposed, it finds even more depth and character, and punches so hard at the top end. And you get to fully immerse yourself in the action, to bathe in the wailing waves of sound and snick about the genuinely delicious manual box.

[link=http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/boxster-spyder/first-drive-0]
6.jpg
[/link]
7.jpg
[/link]
8.jpg
[/link]
9.jpg
[/link]
10.jpg
[/link]

Engage Sport Plus and it’ll do the downshift blipping for you. But if you owned one I genuinely think you’d stick to Sport and try to perfect the shifts yourself.

It’s that sort of car. It does the ‘Ring in 7.47, but that’s not the point at all. This is an indulgent car, one you totally engage with, relishing the whole operation of it, not just the handling’s outer limits

Is it as crisp as the Cayman GT4?

No, it’s neither as sharp nor focused as that. And in fact it feels more different to it than I expected – not just gentler, but somehow more wholesome, emphatically a road car, not a track car.

It still steers and rides beautifully, there’s no scuttle shake at all and it’ll go down a road as rabidly as you crave, but it’s actually nicest when you back the pace off a bit and concentrate on driving it properly, y’know getting the braking and gearchanging just so.

Any issues?

The one-piece seats won’t suit all body shapes and the gearing is too long. Same is true of the Cayman GT4, too. Third and above are closely stacked, but seeing as third is good for 110mph or more, you can see the issue. Would’ve been better to stack them closely at the bottom where you can use the sprinting ability, then space them more at the top for cruising.

Must be a limited edition?

Not this one – the last one was, to 1960 examples, a nod back to the 718 RS 60 of 1960 – but I still can’t see this one selling in vast numbers. Partly due to the £60,459 on-the-road price, but also because people will expect it to be more hardcore than it actually is.

Yes, it is rowdier inside than a standard Boxster, but still refined enough to use everyday even if all you’re doing is sitting on a motorway. It’s just as practical and looks much cooler and more special, and I don’t reckon £6,587 is much of a premium over the GTS, especially when this gives you an extra 45bhp and 37lb ft.

If you so choose, you can reinsert the aircon and infotainment system which the Spyder deletes as standard. Quite refereshing not to have it, though. Put your phone out of reach and you’re forced to do nothing but drive. And that’s what this car does so well.

Specs: 3.8-litre flat 6cyl, 370bhp, 310lb ft, 0-62mph in 4.5secs, 180mph, 37.7mpg, 230g/km CO2, 1315kg, £60,459

Another review - sorry if this is repeated but worth a read, and consideration for those on the fence

[link=http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/2015-porsche-boxster-spyder-review-first-drive-34016]http://www.carsguide.com....view-first-drive-34016[/link]

All the reviews are excellent which makes it even harder when trying to decide what to do in the end!

Some new pictures i havnt seen before. 1 black Spyder, 1 GT Silver Spyder. Both of these have the smoked rear lights if anyone wants to see these before ordering.

Phil

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back