Menu toggle

Are Spyders Becoming Extinct At OPCs!

Putting the soul back into the new soulless 4.0L 718's is possible but obviously not with Porsche approval [:eek:]

[link=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkuM5nlj-uc&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkuM5nlj-uc&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop[/link]

Maybe in the USA configuration, but responses from German companies not so positive except for Schmid, ECU software €1,200 + exhaust hardware.

QUOTES:

9ff:

Unfortunately your car is so "smart" that it detects the removal of the OPF electronically in any case. No "cheating" with cross sections or the like helps either.

Without a change in the DME, a "check engine" will always be activated.

Akrapovic:

As far as we know, you have to optimize the software, otherwise an error will occur.

Speedart:

I currently do not see a way to remove the OPF without Motronic optimization

Techart:

So we can basically help you here, but neither use an empty pipe nor reduce the cross-section of an existing pipe.

What we can offer is to convert the vehicle to an identical vehicle without an OPF, using the Porsche original parts.

It is important to note that your vehicle no longer complies with the legal regulations according to STVZO and the operating license expires. This notice must be given by us and countersigned in advance by you as a customer at AB.

Schmid:

With our OPF simulator specially developed for the 718, we can implement OPF elimination without DME intervention.

END QUOTES:

EU type approval rules require OEMs to install checks that detect GPF removal and Porsche approach is to fit sensors either end of the GPF checking pressure differential. Some others have suggested auto CEL delete software but these still get logged. I don't know if dealer PIWIS picks these up these or whether it requires special access code from factory (when serious engine issues are being investigated). Unless your GPF delete comes with an ECU solution and comfort about heat management back though the system, I'd be cautious about these.

KennyR said:
I can totally vouch for that !!! Nothing like the sound of 981 spyder on full chat!!!!!
So true as I went through some low bridges on my fun run yesterday the scream at 5k rpm ++++ is priceless something so lacking in a 718 4.0l at 5k rpm where the valves only just open not to mention a 981 is playing the PSE music from 2k rpm to the redline try replicating that in a 718 version with factory kit in place :ROFLMAO:

Soul Exhaust plans for 718 GT4 and Spyder see in particular ‘The Over Axle Pipes’ section.

[link=https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gt4-spyder/1195716-soul-718-gt4-spyder-exhaust-development.html#post16648484]https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gt4-spyder/1195716-soul-718-gt4-spyder-exhaust-development.html#post16648484[/link]

daro911 said:
KennyR said:
I can totally vouch for that !!! Nothing like the sound of 981 spyder on full chat!!!!!
So true as I went through some low bridges on my fun run yesterday the scream at 5k rpm ++++ is priceless something so lacking in a 718 4.0l at 5k rpm where the valves only just open not to mention a 981 is playing the PSE music from 2k rpm to the redline try replicating that in a 718 version with factory kit in place :ROFLMAO:
A man after my own heart ! These cars are amazing to drive quickly (always obeying the rules of the road) and therefore should be driven quickly and I suggest , regularly too . Not left in the garage to be polished into oblivion like some owners may do 😉

Lets all enjoy them for what they are . Fabulous, loud , fantastic cars to drive and be driven .

ralphmusic said:
Soul Exhaust plans for 718 GT4 and Spyder see in particular ‘The Over Axle Pipes’ section.

[link=https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gt4-spyder/1195716-soul-718-gt4-spyder-exhaust-development.html#post16648484]https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gt4-spyder/1195716-soul-718-gt4-spyder-exhaust-development.html#post16648484[/link]
Thanks really interesting stuff and amazing how different the stock set up is compared to the 981's but their again when I drove the 718 the disappointment was made even worse when I jumped back into my daily drive JCW Mini and the standard box at legaL speed limit was louder than the 718 with PSE "ON" although as I discovered "ON" doesn't come into play until 5k rpm

Wow it's amazing that this thread is still going. Or as we rightly renamed it, it's more of a forum than a thread. Still miss my 987 Spyder, although I see the model has moved on a lot since then. Apart from the soundtrack, what are the other main differences between the 718 vs 981 Spyder from an ownership (not tech spec) perspective?

flat6 said:
Apart from the soundtrack, what are the other main differences between the 718 vs 981 Spyder from an ownership (not tech spec) perspective?

Hi flat6 nice to see you back in the room[;)]

Well I had a great hour plus topless test drive in the newbie so whilst I can't talk from an ownership perspective I can talk from a test drive which was arranged so I could confirm my final specification for the allocated end of 2020/21 build slot at that time

Brief analysis:-

Suspension in standard mode very pleasant and Porsche's best effort to date in the Spyder generations

In firm mode it reminded me of the more jiggly 987 ride and would not be a mode for anything other than the track use

Engine seems to have greater torque but on paper it is almost zero difference so my conclusion is - because there is no sport or sports+ mode on GT cars i.e. they are in what 987/981 owners know as sport mode from the get go I felt this gives the illusion of the engine having far more torque than it really has very much like a fruity exhaust note gives the impression of going faster than one actually is

As I rarely go into sport or sport + mode my 981 around town in standard mode is much more pegged back than the 718’s permanent lively responsive sport mode 24/7

The auto blip is far less aggressive sounding than the 981 but again as the newbie doesn’t pop & bang at all the auto blip silently smooths out the rev matching and talking about silent unless you are up the rev range the sound track with PSE on is VERY muted and when you do hit the sound sweet spot at 5k rpm + the tone is deep & bassy with no high pitch scream to it and again volume at full chat is very low and the speed in any gear at 5k rpm++ is very high due to the Porsche gearing saga.

To partially rectify the characterless soundtrack from the new 4l one would have to swallow a £5k pill for a JCR titanium end pipework set up to replace the factory back box to achieve a sports car sound track but owners of both 981 and now 718's with JCR have confirmed its still not as good or loud as their past 981's. Much discussed on PH forum

The clutch is considerably lighter which was much appreciated when I hit a 10 minute stop start jam and the gear change is identical to 981's so I am pretty sure its the same set up

I found the steering was also lighter despite the bigger racier tyres and again this being a GT developed car I was expecting the steering to be night & day different/better than the 981's and imo it simple wasn't

I can’t say I found the car very GT like from my extremely limited GT experiences to date but the PEC instructor with me agreed OTR this is the most user friendly GT car ever from Porsche and can be driven with no additional strain on one’s chain which he said wouldn’t be the case for the GT3/GT2/RS & even the Speedster in comparison. However he said if we were giving it full beans then I would appreciate the difference between 981 & 718 with this GT set up and the Cup 2 tyres so for push on speeders or track day stars I am sure they would get a lot more out of the 718's GT credentials than I ever would

So after my test drive I concluded I would pass on my build slot and as this was back in February (pre covid19 global meltdown) I think the price difference to change at that time would no longer be anywhere near what it probably is today and hate to think what it might have been end of 2020 or spring 2021 which was the proposed delivery dates[:eek:]

daro911 said:
flat6 said:
Apart from the soundtrack, what are the other main differences between the 718 vs 981 Spyder from an ownership (not tech spec) perspective?

Well I had a great hour plus topless test drive in the newbie so whilst I can't talk from an ownership perspective I can talk from a test drive which was arranged so I could confirm my final specification for the allocated end of 2020/21 build slot at that time

Suspension in standard mode very pleasant and Porsche's best effort to date in the Spyder generations

In firm mode it reminded me of the more jiggly 987 ride and would not be a mode for anything other than the track use

Engine seems to have greater torque but on paper it is almost zero difference so my conclusion is - because there is no sport or sports+ mode on GT cars i.e. they are in what 987/981 owners know as sport mode from the get go I felt this gives the illusion of the engine having far more torque than it really has very much like a fruity exhaust note gives the impression of going faster than one actually is

As I rarely go into sport or sport + mode my 981 around town in standard mode is much more pegged back than the 718’s permanent lively responsive sport mode 24/7

The auto blip is far less aggressive sounding than the 981 but again as the newbie doesn’t pop & bang at all the auto blip silently smooths out the rev matching and talking about silent unless you are up the rev range the sound track with PSE on is VERY muted and when you do hit the sound sweet spot at 5k rpm + the tone is deep & bassy with no high pitch scream to it and again volume at full chat is very low and the speed in any gear at 5k rpm++ is very high due to the Porsche gearing saga.

To partially rectify the characterless soundtrack from the new 4l one would have to swallow a £5k pill for a JCR titanium end pipework set up to replace the factory back box to achieve a sports car sound track but owners of both 981 and now 718's with JCR have confirmed its still not as good or loud as their past 981's. Much discussed on PH forum

The clutch is considerably lighter which was much appreciated when I hit a 10 minute stop start jam and the gear change is identical to 981's so I am pretty sure its the same set up

I found the steering was also lighter despite the bigger racier tyres and again this being a GT developed car I was expecting the steering to be night & day different/better than the 981's and imo it simple wasn't

I can’t say I found the car very GT like from my extremely limited GT experiences to date but the PEC instructor with me agreed OTR this is the most user friendly GT car ever from Porsche and can be driven with no additional strain on one’s chain which he said wouldn’t be the case for the GT3/GT2/RS & even the Speedster in comparison. However he said if we were giving it full beans then I would appreciate the difference between 981 & 718 with this GT set up and the Cup 2 tyres so for push on speeders or track day stars I am sure they would get a lot more out of the 718's GT credentials than I ever would

So after my test drive I concluded I would pass on my build slot and as this was back in February (pre covid19 global meltdown) I think the price difference to change at that time would no longer be anywhere near what it probably is today and hate to think what it might have been end of 2020 or spring 2021 which was the proposed delivery dates[:eek:]

After having a quick chat over the internet with Henry Catchpole , he said he preferred the 718spyders gt inspired chassis but the nothing compared to the 981 spyder soundtrack but if push come to shove , he would take the 718 over the 981 because of the “more sporty driving characteristics” !

Thanks Daro for bringing me up to date[:)]

I think I would also prefer the option to switch out the sporty urgency when driving around town by having switchable Sport Mode, which I would always do with Porsches and still do with my 4C. I like to be in Sport mode when I intend to drive more assertively. It's good to have the option.

It's a shame the sound track isn't what it could be straight from the factory. Why is that?

Interesting that you'd have to really push on to more reveal the difference between 981 and 718 Spyder as that's typically at speeds many owners won't reach. But if the car still behaves on the road whilst improving itself on the limit on track, I guess it's a win win but as you say, for some, not the compelling factor to trade up.

I must admit, given the Boxster Spyder being a roadster, they could end up with it losing its way if it goes after more track prowess. I would have thought a buyer wanting to really exploit a car on track would go for the GT4 rather than try to unlock a mild sprinking from the GT motorsport department on the Spyder. I can only speak for myself though.

KennyR said:
daro911 said:
flat6 said:

I would agree with everything here and would also add I found all the exterior plastics a bit cheap looking, especially close up.

981 all the way, followed by the 987!

philnotts99 said:
I would agree with everything here and would also add I found all the exterior plastics a bit cheap looking, especially close up.

I always found it surprising when Porsche don't paint plastic parts that should be painted as standard on cars at this price.

philnotts99 said:

I think while we are on the same page [;)] many comments made on PH by certain keyboard warriors make me smile as they haven't even driven or been in a 718 version but just swallowed the journalist reviews wholesale. Easily done hence my insistence I at least got to sample the new car on the road for a thorough driver experience

The changes between 981 v 718 i.e. the plus and minus of each 981 for sound & possibly the softer looks the 718 for the brand new, if somewhat characterless, 4l engine and all its latest technology stop start and cylinder switching 6-3 plus the improved suspension & rubber set up imo to justify a change for the £16k list price, with folding carbon buckets no longer standard, it should have produced 450bhp to at least up the performance and make it a genuine junior GT product especially as a 718 GTS PDK F4 is a quicker car!

In the meantime some shots of the plastics to ponder yonder :ROFLMAO:

50018048923_fd251589bf_b.jpg
50018837527_b026ceb2f6_b.jpg

50018577796_bc48609baa_b.jpg
43654595730_3b36015bf4_b.jpg

[h1]Boxster Spyder 10th Anniversary Article[/h1]Hi Everyone After speaking to member Rob Stone and asking if he could do an article on his ownership of his Boxster Spyders, he very kindly submitted a piece which is in this months (July) Porsche Post on pg58. Its a great read. Well done Rob

ote=Tracy_Wilkins]

[h1]Boxster Spyder 10th Anniversary Article[/h1]Hi Everyone After speaking to member Rob Stone and asking if he could do an article on his ownership of his Boxster Spyders, he very kindly submitted a piece which is in this months (July) Porsche Post on pg58. Its a great read. Well done Rob

[/quote] It was a pleasure and well done to you guys for arranging it and all the other great work you do for our corner of the UK Porsche world

Sign of the Covid19 times a further price drop - available today for £84990[&:]

[link=https://www.exchangeandmart.co.uk/ad/25357115?utm_term=33304&utm_content=dealer&utm_source=newsnow&utm_medium=aggregator&utm_campaign=general]https://www.exchangeandmart.co.uk/ad/25357115?utm_term=33304&utm_content=dealer&utm_source=newsnow&utm_medium=aggregator&utm_campaign=general[/link]

porsche-718-spyder-4-0-spyder-s-s-2dr-464006403-3.jpg
porsche-718-spyder-2019-2500-miles-89990_image5_1858047_w1024h682_400.jpg
porsche-718-spyder-2019-2500-miles-89990_image1_1858047_w1024h682_400.jpg
porsche-718-spyder-2019-2500-miles-89990_image10_1858047_w1024h682_400.jpg

daro911 said:
I at least got to sample the new car on the road for a thorough driver experience

You're absolutely right. The best way to form an opinion is to drive the car yourself. I find reading reviews useful but your own test drive is the decision maker. The Spyder is still, in my humble opinion, the best looking car Porsche makes.

daro911 said:
Tracy_Wilkins said:
It was a pleasure and well done to you guys for arranging it and all the other great work you do for our corner of the UK Porsche world

Brilliant! I'm going to go have a read [:)]

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back