Menu toggle

FORUM INACTIVITY

kitchens said:
Think it is a bit unfair to put the onus on the RO 's after all the forum is for all paid up member to post a subject article or event on ,the RO is not a paid position ,although some members think it is ,It is not easy keeping all the balls in the air at once. .As you pointed out some regions are not as proactive as others as in any club environment .Other media is used by many and is easier to use .Mailchimp is a fast way of getting news out to members ,but anything the RO puts in has to go to HQ to be vetted for content , and it is they who send out the emails .Trying to post pics is not easy, so I do not even try just use WA on other platforms to post pics . This thread has certainly brought out many interesting posts and remarks ,

Sorry, but the onus should be on RO's as part of their responsibility is to inform their Members what is happening in that particular Region.

Yes, Members can add posts but the RO is the person or people responsible for giving information on events, news and Head Office Regional specific updates via all formats. To blame the Members for a lack of content is wrong as most Members expect their RO to lead and provide them with things to attend. If they are unable or unwilling to do this then maybe they should step aside and pass the baton onto someone else who will be more proactive?

I understand it is an unpaid role but plenty of RO's are in the position for the kudos and status and have forgotten the reason they took the role on in the first place, and in some. cases are unwilling to step down! The issue stems from the Board who have still not given an exact Job Description and expectations for RO's and RS's to follow which would allow them to be managed.

Sorry, this has deviated from the original subject matter about forum usage, but it is all part of the same problem that RO's and RS's are not being held accountable for the content they deliver to the Members.

No doubt I will get some nicely worded pushback on this, but is this entire discussion leading anywhere? Is there any actionable step being taken by anyone who can? This is a great example of why the forum is not being used. Lots of talk but nout being done about it. Officers please note.

I’m off.

If can figure out how!??

I just put a simple post about the inactivity on the forum ,not blaming any RO for their lack of input ,its not an easy position I know done it all pre emails /internet ,so lets just leave it at that and move on, enough people have made their points on the subject ,it will be a some time before we see things back to normal within the club so stay safe everyone and look forward to better times in 2021 .

Well said Martin – I totally endorse what you have said.

MartinRS2K said:
The issue stems from the Board who have still not given an exact Job Description and expectations for RO's and RS's to follow which would allow them to be managed.

Not quite true I’m afraid. This already exists in the RO and RS manuals. Full guidance is there.

Notthedoctor said:
No doubt I will get some nicely worded pushback on this, but is this entire discussion leading anywhere? Is there any actionable step being taken by anyone who can? This is a great example of why the forum is not being used. Lots of talk but nout being done about it. Officers please note.
I’m off.
If can figure out how!??

I disagree with your statement. This is exactly what the forum is good at – opening good healthy debate and discussion. And believe me things do get done from forum debate. Some years ago we had a 'rogue' board and it was this forum that highlighted it and brought about the demise of that board.

Lately, however, there is a distinct lack of the presence of the clubs directors who should be coming on here offer guidance and support. But the reason for that is another story!

As a regular contributor to the PCGB forum on model specific sections, as in the Cayman/Boxster and Macan threads, I have found it to be a most rewarding and informative medium. My reasoning for posting on the model specific sections rather than the regional sections is to reach a wider audience of common interests.

My two 718 Cayman threads of 2016 and 2019 accrued over 78,000 views and 50,000 views respectively. My current Macan thread currently has over 4,700 views over a period of 4 months. I find the diversity of opinions and informative technical advice on all car related topics extremely encouraging and helpful, especially during the trials and tribulations of the current Covid-19 pandemic. The encouragement and support I have personally received from readers has been an absolute delight. Especially so during these difficult and challenging times we are all currently enduring.

On occasion I have contributed to the Scotland sections of the forum but the responses received are of a more muted form that that from the wider UK readership. I cannot recall ever having received a forum response to my threads from the respective RO's in Scotland. As a result I choose to email my regional R2 RO's direct when updating information of my current cars and driving experiences.

Speaking for myself, the PCGB forum is a lifesaver in these dark times. It is a vital connection with like-minded people which provides a welcome refuge from the never-ending depressing news beamed into our homes on the TV and digital media on a daily basis.

Brian

Peter_Bull said:
Well said Martin – I totally endorse what you have said.

MartinRS2K said:
The issue stems from the Board who have still not given an exact Job Description and expectations for RO's and RS's to follow which would allow them to be managed.

Not quite true I’m afraid. This already exists in the RO and RS manuals. Full guidance is there.

Thanks Peter [:)]

Regarding the RO Manuals I requested one when I took the RO role and was told it was out of date and being updated. I asked again at the AGM to be told the same and after asking for a 3rd time and being told for the umpteenth time that the new "Code of Conduct" was going to be implemented I realised it was not going to be forthcoming so didn't bother asking again!

And unless someone can tell me differently I think the Code of Conduct is still not being implemented over 2 years after it was initially mentioned??

Brian_Innes said:
Speaking for myself, the PCGB forum is a lifesaver in these dark times. It is a vital connection with like-minded people which provides a welcome refuge from the never-ending depressing news beamed into our homes on the TV and digital media on a daily basis.

Brian

Thats so heartening to hear Brian - possibly one of the best accolades of the forum I have ever read.

Keep safe, keep well and keep those tremendous post coming!

With reference to your statement ‘The simple answer to this is most don’t because it’s easier and less time consuming and, in some instances, more effective to use other formats. E.g a post on Instagram can be automatically duplicated on both Facebook and Twitter at the click of a button’ You summed it up nicely ‘easier and less time consuming’ and that is exactly where I came from in my post about the lack of engagement. Any committed official would take an extra two minutes to post on here. But of course it’s so easy to say ‘I can’t be bothered to do a few more clicks’.

On the topic of posting pictures. Sure I concede that it’s not as easy as the likes FB or eBay but it’s not really hard is it? There are two ways to do it and it is so easy! The trouble is people are used to doing things the ‘easy’ way like drag and drop etc. and don’t bother reading the instructions.

Thankfully we both have the same interests in pursuing what if good for the club.

What a contradiction in terms?? Why make it hard when there could be an easier way. Why give cars self cancelling indicators when all you have to do is remember to do it yourself-one could go on for ever!

I use the forum as much as possible but I don't every respond to involve a planing meeting with myself.

A good example is posting a simple technical item in response to someone else's post or query but wanting to add previously taken pegs or or ones taken there & then spontaneously.
It's just so awkward to do so ,I don't bother.

Ive better things to do with the time than assemble the pics on a hosting site,resize them etc

The sarcasm of your post is, of course, what I have come to expect form you Colin. At least by replying to your post I have made it legible

Pictures can be posted on this forum one at a time using the Edit / Insert image icon in either the Quick Reply or Full version. Take your pick!
There is no necessity to host anywhere or resize either.

Hosting elsewhere is quite simple and gives you the ability to insert multiple pictures, but of course not everyone has the ability to do this.

Currently I am working with the IT director to see if our developers can make the system better, but as always it comes at a cost.

Peter_Bull said:
With reference to your statement ‘The simple answer to this is most don’t because it’s easier and less time consuming and, in some instances, more effective to use other formats. E.g a post on Instagram can be automatically duplicated on both Facebook and Twitter at the click of a button’ You summed it up nicely ‘easier and less time consuming’ and that is exactly where I came from in my post about the lack of engagement. Any committed official would take an extra two minutes to post on here. But of course it’s so easy to say ‘I can’t be bothered to do a few more clicks’.

On the topic of posting pictures. Sure I concede that it’s not as easy as the likes FB or eBay but it’s not really hard is it? There are two ways to do it and it is so easy! The trouble is people are used to doing things the ‘easy’ way like drag and drop etc. and don’t bother reading the instructions.

Thankfully we both have the same interests in pursuing what if good for the club.

vitesse said:
What a contradiction in terms?? Why make it hard when there could be an easier way. Why give cars self cancelling indicators when all you have to do is remember to do it yourself-one could go on for ever!

I use the forum as much as possible but I don't every respond to involve a planing meeting with myself.

A good example is posting a simple technical item in response to someone else's post or query but wanting to add previously taken pegs or or ones taken there & then spontaneously.
It's just so awkward to do so ,I don't bother.

Ive better things to do with the time than assemble the pics on a hosting site,resize them etc

The sarcasm of your post is, of course, what I have come to expect form you Colin and certainly not lost this time. At least by replying to your post it is now legible.

Pictures can be posted on this forum one at a time using the Edit / Insert image icon in either the Quick Reply or Full version. Take your pick!

There is no necessity to host anywhere or resize either.

But hosting elsewhere is quite simple and gives you the ability to insert multiple pictures, but of course not everyone has the ability to do this.

Currently I am working with the IT director to see if our developers can make the system better, but as always it comes at a cost.

Regarding the RO Manuals I requested one when I took the RO role and was told it was out of date and being updated. I asked again at the AGM to be told the same and after asking for a 3rd time and being told for the umpteenth time that the new "Code of Conduct" was going to be implemented I realised it was not going to be forthcoming so didn't bother asking again!

And unless someone can tell me differently I think the Code of Conduct is still not being implemented over 2 years after it was initially mentioned??

Hi Martin,

the Code of Conduct was implemented and published by the board towards the end of my term (Jan 2019). I believe it was reviewed by the current board and all ROs and RSs were asked to sign up to it.

https://www.porscheclubgb...siness/code-of-conduct

Nick

Nick_USA said:

Hi Martin,

the Code of Conduct was implemented and published by the board towards the end of my term (Jan 2019). I believe it was reviewed by the current board and all ROs and RSs were asked to sign up to it.

https://www.porscheclubgb...siness/code-of-conduct

Nick

Thanks for the link Nick, I've not followed it since I stepped down so didn't see it was now in use. Have all Club Officials signed it and are they now accountable for their actions in relation to the Code of Conduct?

Reading the details it looks like I've got mixed up and the Code of Conduct is not the same as the RO's handbook. If this is correct then where is this as surely ALL RO's should have the handbook, should be following it, using it to plan their Regional tasks and being managed in accordance of the expectations of an RO?

Probably a question for a Director or Club Office official to answer as I presume they are following this thread even if they are not responding!

Peter, I was simply making the point that as a reasonable user & contributor to the forum,my contributions with technical subjects ,say something like " how I rebuilt a rear screen windscreen motor" cannot be readily made because of needing to post several jpegs mixed in with the script,& it becomes a clumsy exercise & takes too much time.
The inability of your tolerance to accept practical suggestions/comments leads one to apply a little sarcasm to make the point & yet even you don't seem to like the odd seconds it takes to get to the last page of long running forum posts??( which whilst odd,doesn't really bother me at all.)
Despite working on& programming main frame computers from the age of 18/19, my opinion is that they are for using -not understanding & so should be the forum.

This post has become a little political, I think Brian’s post was aimed at the Region 1 section of the forum rather than the forum in general.
There used to be general chat on here, members looking for recommendations etc. Some Events posted up, then some feedback after Events which I liked and was encouraging for members to come along to next one when they seen what they missed.
In my opinion, change of RO, and more use of mail chimp for communications killed the region’s forum, used to be able to reply to forum post saying you were going which would encourage others or even to ask what was involved in Event, reminders for Events and Clubnight’s etc.
Mailchimp is faceless and not interactive, and I also feel everything has become so strict and governed, when I joined there was a very laid back interactive approach.
Perhaps that’s why all the Facebook groups are taking over, no leader, just a bunch of Porsche owners chatting, meeting up and going for runs.
Perhaps a more laid back title would have been ‘ What’s everyone been up to this year?’
More of a getting people chatting post, and also post it on Facebook page to see where the majority would prefer to interact?

all the best
Alan Locke

I used to run a forum and things have changed a awful lot mainly because of Facebook. Forums are not cheap to host However I believe the cost at £60 + £10 is a little expensive when the forums are so quiet.
Also I believe that to reduce costs you need to find more companies to support the forums financially and again this is not a easy job but done well it would help everyone associated with the club. For instance Detailing company selling products for our car along with a Club Professional Detailers. Like all Sponsor they can benefit from us as much as we benefit from them.
But also to be successful, members need to help out by giving good walk throughs adding good context responding where they can to new and old members so everyone feels apart of the group.

We are in hard times but the clubs that survive will become stronger...

A bit late to the party on this one but I can see a lot of fair points being made as well as am afraid some poor excuses in my honest opinion......Perhaps this subject would deserve a different/dedicated thread in the general section ?

I have literally just taken on an RO position (and trust me not for the kudos of it as some may suggest....) and trying to get engagement with our members is not that straightforward. It is early days and already getting some positive returns with some activity as far as our forum is concerned with new interesting threads, creating FB page, private group etc etc.

BUT, and this is my main point, the forum in its current form is not that great am afraid. Not sure when it was designed and/or updated, but technology moves on and when I hear people shouting from the rooftops that we are the leading club in the UK, that other clubs look at us for inspiration, blah blah blah, and we rely on tools which are far from being in line with the times, it leaves me wondering........

Yes these things are expensive to update (within reason though, let's not pretend that it costs the earth unless you use consulting companies who will charge stupid money for a job poorly done) but is the forum to be seen just as something that is now there and ''will do as it is'' or as a tool for our club and our members and as such deserving investment ?
If the former then so be it, we just need to be told but if the later then what is being done about it?

Rosso said:
But also to be successful, members need to help out by giving good walk throughs adding good context responding where they can to new and old members so everyone feels a part of the group.

I 100% agree with this quote and yes as also highlighted in several posts, some of the responsibilities fall on RO and RS as well but when the tool you are given is outdated, not straightforward to use (time consuming like uploading one picture at a time, I mean come on this is almost 2021 !!!!) well it doesn't encourage or make it easy for RS / RO as well as members to post (FYI, already had several members telling me that they do not find it easy to work with and can't be bothered, so not just me...and these guys do post on other forums and social plateformes).

It takes me 30 seconds to post on FB, it takes me 5 minutes on this forum if I want to upload multiple pictures. Yes as an RS I will take the time to do it as it is part of my responsibilities but members will get fed up with it, they will use other platforms leading to the potential death of our forum.

Anyway, just my thoughts and apologies for highjacking your thread.

Hi all,

Well this has been a really interesting read. In R2, we have been guilty of letting our little bit of the forum go dead. As the RO's for our region, I do occasionally guiltily check and try and reply to any new posts, buy as pointed out it's a bit tumbleweed.

Hailing from Generation Y(?) we are so used to smartphone based interaction and helped to get the R2 Facebook group off the ground before we were RO's. We've been focussing on that, and as pointed out it's just easier. Accessible via a tap, always logged in, push notifications, the lot.

But reading this highlights to me we're not being inclusive. Some of our members might not be aware our Facebook group exists, or how to join it. Many don't use Facebook (sometimes I think they're right not to, with the trouble that can breed on Facebook so easily)

Two valued R2 members, Andrew and Brian, have both been on the thread above me saying they prefer to use the forum and get a lot out of it, yet are faced with nothing in their home region.

We have, on reflection, been letting these guys and probably others down. It's given me some motivation to try and breathe life back into the R2 forum, both by posting on it, and by highlighting its uses to our members.

That doesn't mean to say, improving ease of use to close the gap with 3rd party social media marketing would not be welcomed!

All the best,
George

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back