Menu toggle

GT4 Versus 991 Carrera S

Motorhead

PCGB Member
Andrew,

It sounds to me as though you've fallen into the trap of buying a GT car only to find that it's not really what you want. One of the problems of not being able to "try before you buy" of course.

If you've not done so already, I think that you need to take the car on track to experience its true purpose. ChrisW took me for some hot laps at the Club's Anglesey track day in his Clubsport/PCCB equipped car - mightily impressive..!

I'm sure that there'll be plenty of takers for your GT4 should you wish to pass it on.

Jeff

Guys:
Without wanting to sound trite! I was given a loan 991 Carrera S Cabriolet PDK by my OPC as GT4 was in getting a wiring loom replaced. I had the car for about 2 weeks and i must say that in many, many ways it was better than the Gt4 ;(
Firstly, the sound from the Sports exhaust was a different class to the GT4, much more growl, pops and bangs on over run and a better Swell of noise under acceleration - In Sports Plus mode it sounded quite simply unbelievable! raw, aggressive and exactly what a Flat 6 Porsche should sound like in comparison to the relatively quiet GT4.
Secondly, I would say it was a faster car as well and especially on B roads the suspension was much more compliant and less bouncy. It was obviously more of an all rounder but still felt like a true sports car, all this cabriolet body roll is utter tosh on B roads with cornering speeds up to 70 Mph..
Given what i have found i would say that a 991 GTS would be way better than the GT4 and will probably be my next Porsche and i would even say that if its a step on from the Carrera S which in theory it should be it must be the best all round Porsche Sports car available - just waiting til
they drop to £70k ish ...
Has anyone else found their GT4 slightly underpowered and lacking in the Flat 6 noise ....??? My car is now Fully Run in at 1200 Miles but still lacks spark and noise ... ;(
Andrew

Motorhead said:
Andrew,

It sounds to me as though you've fallen into the trap of buying a GT car only to find that it's not really what you want. One of the problems of not being able to "try before you buy" of course.

If you've not done so already, I think that you need to take the car on track to experience its true purpose. ChrisW took me for some hot laps at the Club's Anglesey track day in his Clubsport/PCCB equipped car - mightily impressive..!

I'm sure that there'll be plenty of takers for your GT4 should you wish to pass it on.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Yes, i think your right ... need to book a track day and also wish i had kept my 997 GTS ... Probably all round a better car than GT4!

I will keep the GT4 as not to lose my GT4 RS allocation and hope the RS is a bit faster and sounds better ... ??!! If they are ever produced?!! also thinking of trying a 991 GT3 but will wait until Gen 2 has forced prices a bit lower ...

Andrew

3 or 4 GT4 at the club track day at Castle Coombe last week and pretty impressive on track - noted they had stickier Michelin cups versus my Bridgestones but quire a few went past me throughout the day. - that was as we all moved over to let the 991 GT3 RS through!

CarreraGTS said:
Guys:

Without wanting to sound trite! I was given a loan 991 Carrera S Cabriolet PDK by my OPC as GT4 was in getting a wiring loom replaced. I had the car for about 2 weeks and i must say that in many, many ways it was better than the Gt4 ;(

Firstly, the sound from the Sports exhaust was a different class to the GT4, much more growl, pops and bangs on over run and a better Swell of noise under acceleration - In Sports Plus mode it sounded quite simply unbelievable! raw, aggressive and exactly what a Flat 6 Porsche should sound like in comparison to the relatively quiet GT4.

Secondly, I would say it was a faster car as well and especially on B roads the suspension was much more compliant and less bouncy. It was obviously more of an all rounder but still felt like a true sports car, all this cabriolet body roll is utter tosh on B roads with cornering speeds up to 70 Mph..

Given what i have found i would say that a 991 GTS would be way better than the GT4 and will probably be my next Porsche and i would even say that if its a step on from the Carrera S which in theory it should be it must be the best all round Porsche Sports car available - just waiting til

Has anyone else found their GT4 slightly underpowered and lacking in the Flat 6 noise ....??? My car is now Fully Run in at 1200 Miles but still lacks spark and noise ... ;(

Andrew

Was it a 991.2 with the turbo lite engine? Hope so, as mine is due in a few weeks and I'm hoping the sound will be as good as my 991 used to be. I also had a loaner for a weekend, but not quite the spec i've gone for so fingers crossed.

2 different opinions here, I had a 991 power kitted 4s ( 430BHP) with sports exhaust, PDK etc before my GT4, in fact, I kept my 4s for a while after my GT4 arrived as it was such a good car and just in case I had made a mistake in buying the new one.

One of the reasons in my thoughts was, I loved the PDK and was disappointed the GT4 only came in manual but I have found the GT4 to be a fantastic car, I've said for a while if I had the option to have GT4 PDK I would swop in an instant, I'm not so sure now, especially following my Anglesey excursion.

When you have the engine revving the noise is addictive and with the manual box you just have to drive it. Mines done about 2300 miles now and seems to be getting better and better, time will tell.

SteveJC

Interesting points Steve and it just goes to show that power - and a PDK 'box? - aren't the answers to everything.

Good to hear that you're adjusting to the manual transmission at last - welcome to the world of the ancient manual shifters (thankfully not yet extinct..!).

Jeff

The fact that it might have sounded louder because you were in a cab and not coupe! The gt4 is quiet compared to a 981 spyder but then you drop the windows.......

spyderwhite said:
The fact that it might have sounded louder because you were in a cab and not coupe! The gt4 is quiet compared to a 981 spyder but then you drop the windows.......
Yes, the roof down did make a significant difference but with hood up still more bark, growl and pops with 991... I must say that Hype aside i am finding the GT4 great at turning corners but relatively slow under acceloration and at a 70 Mph 6th gear cruise i hate the sewing machine noise of the engine! Ok better at full throttle but that shouldn't be the point with its torque you should be able to hear the cars "potential" and feel the Torque swelling in the engine note ... If the GT4 starts dropping in price i would be quite happy getting out of it and into a 991 GTS Manual or PDK. I have a BMW M2 November build slot so looking forward to that car when it arrives ... quicker and more fun than GT4 me thinks and at £42k a comparable bargain ... Sorry to be such a downer but i guess as a GT4 owner i do have a real time opinion ... ;(

I have a GT4 and a 981 Spyder,and I have to say I'm surprised at how refined the GT4 'seems' to be in comparison to the Spyder.

I also think the Spyder feels a bit faster, sounds better, and just more of a hoot to drive on a twisty road, so maybe it feels similar to the 991S Cab ??

Having said all that I still really like the GT4 and looking forward to taking it on track soon, I do think it could come into it's own there.

Sandy59 said:
I have a GT4 and a 981 Spyder,and I have to say I'm surprised at how refined the GT4 'seems' to be in comparison to the Spyder.

I also think the Spyder feels a bit faster, sounds better, and just more of a hoot to drive on a twisty road, so maybe it feels similar to the 991S Cab ??

Having said all that I still really like the GT4 and looking forward to taking it on track soon, I do think it could come into it's own there.

Thanks Sandy ...Funnily enough i was actually thinking the same thing! Is the 981 Spyder the car to get if you want fast road, speed, wind in the hair and a great soundtrack ... because for sure the GT4 does feel very civilised relative to my expectation level and more civilised than a 991 Cab ... incredibly! Trouble is you then feel like you have to get full revs to get the sound track anything like what you want and then your risking your licence and other peoples safety to boot ... The 991 Cab in Sports plus mode just makes you want to go up and down the rev range in First gear and wait for that epic pop and burble before it then barks as your right foot squeezes the throttle ... So addictive and all round a better proposition than the GT4 i need to keep the GT4 to get a GT4 RS but was also thinking 991 50th Anniversary or 991 GTS sometime down the line ... Also need to try a GT3 but my Porsche friend said the GT4 is a way better car than any of the 3's and to keep it as the next GT4 maybe the first Turbo GT car for weight saving and engine size issues - If so the GT4 will become legend .... Andrew

CarreraGTS said:
Guys:

Andrew

Why and which wiring loom was replaced?

I went from a 4s to a GT4 andI think the 4s PDK was a faster road car.

I did 1400miles in the GT4 and felt exact same thing as you, lacks grunt.

An encounter with a chipped up Golf GTi "09" plate to rub salt in kept with me on a bypass.

GT4 bubble will definitely burst.

So I got a Turbo S "63" for 16.5k swapped, Now I know pretty much anything is toast......

I have a 981 Cayman S PDK and can honestly say that the sound of the sports exhaust is fantastic as was the demonstrator I borrowed for several weekends whilst awaiting delivery. It is also a very quick car. How quick do you want a car to be? I find that on the road I catch up with everything in no time although a new Focus RS managed to keep up with me on a dual carriageway the other week but they do quote a 0-62 time of about 4.6 seconds with that!!

matthewlatter said:

An encounter with a chipped up Golf GTi "09" plate to rub salt in kept with me on a bypass.

So I got a Turbo S "63" for 16.5k swapped, Now I know pretty much anything is toast......

Thanks Matt ... I am glad i am not the only person with reservations about the legendary GT4 ... I think the hype is distorting the truth in many ways! To answer Gazoak - i do agree with how fast do you want to go, but as i said the Carrera S felt like a sports car pootling in 1st Gear in Sports Plus mode than the GT4 at 5k Revs and thats the point, you have to thrash the GT4 to get any Smile on your face feeling IMO.... In a way, i wish the Gt4 bubble would burst and force me to sell the car and go back to a 911 GTS which is a far better car all things considered ...! If my OPC gets a Manual 991 GTS with Buckets i am going to swap and hopefully get some £££ back as well ... 430 Bhp with 7 gears and Sports Chrono sounds like the perfect package to me ... Again, don't get me wrong i like my GT4 but it is not the car that its cracked up to be ... Was even thinking Aston Martin DBs at £80k seams like a bargain to the £110k GT4 ....!!!

Gazoak said:
I have a 981 Cayman S PDK and can honestly say that the sound of the sports exhaust is fantastic as was the demonstrator I borrowed for several weekends whilst awaiting delivery. It is also a very quick car. How quick do you want a car to be? I find that on the road I catch up with everything in no time although a new Focus RS managed to keep up with me on a dual carriageway the other week but they do quote a 0-62 time of about 4.6 seconds with that!!

I want a car that will destroy a hot hatch. It is a porsche after all..

CarreraGTS said:
matthewlatter said:

Thanks Matt ... I am glad i am not the only person with reservations about the legendary GT4 ... I think the hype is distorting the truth in many ways! To answer Gazoak - i do agree with how fast do you want to go, but as i said the Carrera S felt like a sports car pootling in 1st Gear in Sports Plus mode than the GT4 at 5k Revs and thats the point, you have to thrash the GT4 to get any Smile on your face feeling IMO.... In a way, i wish the Gt4 bubble would burst and force me to sell the car and go back to a 911 GTS which is a far better car all things considered ...! If my OPC gets a Manual 991 GTS with Buckets i am going to swap and hopefully get some £££ back as well ... 430 Bhp with 7 gears and Sports Chrono sounds like the perfect package to me ... Again, don't get me wrong i like my GT4 but it is not the car that its cracked up to be ... Was even thinking Aston Martin DBs at £80k seams like a bargain to the £110k GT4 ....!!!

My Turbo S drives like a limo and goes like a Ferrari whilst carrying my kids.

The Ultimate Road Car....

matthewlatter said:
CarreraGTS said:
matthewlatter said:

My Turbo S drives like a limo and goes like a Ferrari whilst carrying my kids.

The Ultimate Road Car....

I like the Natural Aspiration engine and the "bark" that it gives ... there are 2 Turbos on my street, one has had an uprated exhaust to sound better! I think GTS is the car ... just look at how few are available now across the UK ... I sold a totally Mint 997 GTS with Aero Kit etc for £58k in October - so much wish i had kept it but prefer the Manual Box as a Keeper !!! So will only swap GT4 for either 997 GTS Manual or 991 GTS Manual ... I think the 991 GTS will become a Porsche Legend in its own right ... Such a great car, looks wise, engine wise, chassis wise, Sound wise and Speed wise .... ;)

CarreraGTS said:

I do not own a GT4 but have a number of friends that do. From direct experience I can say that the GT4 is an astonishing car on track and completely lives up to the hype of being a fantastic drivers car. There was nothing quicker than the GT4s at the recent Anglesey Porsche track day. As most of the lucky first owners of a GT4s are unlikely to take theirs on track and won't have the ability to push the car to the point where it comes alive, they are likely to be underwhelmed by it as a road car. As more of those owners come to this conclusion and decide they are better off in some model of GTS, the bubble will indeed deflate as owners scamper to get out of their GT4s while they can still make a fast buck.

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back