Menu toggle

How is this possible?

Agree with the views, I'm fed up with it have loved the brand since I was a kid, worked hard bought Boxsters, 964, 996C4S, 997 GTS, 991 GTS all from OPC and still just receive a letter written by the local OPC saying no allocation when I try to order a new GT3.

there should be a consistent method used by Porsche to allocate and that should not just on whether someone has bought a 918, to go with their various other hyper cars. The whole allocation process is a complete joke it's all about who's mates with the dealers and who gets hits on some poor content you tube channel.

Schmee received an allocation for his GT4 at OPC Colchester even though he'd never bought a Porsche before and had no particu affiliation to the brand, suspect he will be getting his GT3 from there also.

If the economy takes a bath, suspect Porsche will start focusing on the true enthusiasts.

i also agree the PCGB club should be championing the true enthusiasts allocation, but I'm not sure that would make much difference commercially with Porsche

Porker
When an OPC writes to you to say you cannot have a GT3 do they actually give you an explanation as to why there is no availability? Eg., has someone ordered before you and they only have one car allocated? If not, why not call their bluff and put a deposit down for the next available 'Porsche supercar' ( whatever it is and whenever that car may be available!) and see if they'll accept your order. Let us know how you get on.
Jeff

After the ruffling of feathers from my prior post, allow me to preface this one with the agreement that we are all Porsche Enthusiasts, this is a "forum" where the exchange of views (not always of a similar mind) is encouraged and accepted with good spirit. With that in mind; Porsche has integrated the necessity of creating a personal account via Porsche Connect for each owner. I like the interface and all it offers. It provides the architecture for Porsche to create a frequent buyer tier system along the lines in principal to the Airlines. A Porsche buyer could collate points or membership tier rewards via car buying, service spend, parts and accessory purchase and participation in Porsche enthusiast events. This would allow Porsche at a glance to see who is really a Porsche client/enthusiast and via this tiering allocate or offer special edition cars based on this tier. Can you imagine trying to use the airlines if it wasn't clear which clients were allowed access to what as a result of their member status.

I would support such a scheme as it would provide a clear framework for Porsche to fairly allocate these special edition cars as they produce them. I get the impression the sales guys at OPC's are keen to solve this issue also. They spend a decent part of the week dealing with requests from people wanting to buy cars they can't buy. I also get the impression just from the replies above that genuine Porsche buyers and enthusiasts feel short changed or unappreciated via the absence of a clear set of guidelines from Porsche. The fact I love German engineering lends itself to my loving procedure and fairness also. If the guy next to me at the OPC has 15 years of buying with Porsche, 6 cars and I have 2 years and 2 cars he should be ahead of me in the line for a GT car. No quibble at all. Where it smells is when the 911R is still sat in the showroom unsold and/or a bloke buys a GT4 or GT3 RS via an OPC whether wholly owned or franchised with zero prior Porsche history.

Regards

What a great idea, consistent, transparent and fair with priority given for true enthusiasts that use the the OPC network rather than speculators that come and go with each cycle.

Porsche Connect is available on post 2016 introduced models so it would not help 95% of Porsche owners to be considered as worthy. Porsche (Centres/GB) know customer history from existing systems.

The front end of the database is secondary to the existence of a database. As you say, Porsche have the raw data, when grandfathering in old data onto a new platform you'll have a period where users will have access to all or only some of the new capabilities. So for talking sake, the system can be called Porsche Connect and users with a car after '16 will have car access via the portal but older members will only have an account showing spend or client history but no virtual car access. The key point as you say is the existence of a database from which the tiering can be worked out.
Again I wouldn't get hung up on the database management, the idea is to create tiered ownership to make it clearer who should get access to what.

The trouble using "loyalty" data is that it skews towards serial buyers (if Sir buys a Macan, Panamera, and 911...) disqualifying those who are "regular" enthusiasts.

Porsche don't provide sufficient GT cars to the UK market to meet demand hence the scramble for allocation and flipping.

Pretty well any any set of criteria will advantage some and disadvantage others so only a lottery will provide a random (and fair?) allocation system.

That's an interesting point. I'm not sure there is a way to treat a buyer who has a Panamera Turbo, Macan GTS and 911 the same was a 911 buyer or a Macan buyer. A Royal flush beats a pair every day. I actually like the way Porsche has broadened its offering to include cars other than 2 door sports cars. Looking at the numbers I'm sure Porsche is happy it has also, in what is a super competitive sector the Macan , Cayenne and new panamera do really well. I also like to think of a Porsche buyer other than the 911 as an enthusiast also. Broadening the interest of the brand helps pay for the GT car development after all. If those buyers don't feel included or regarded as like minded enthusiasts they may stray to another brand, X5M, RRS SVR, F Pace, Levante, 7 series , AMG the list goes on.

Well here is a controversial opinion why should ANYONE have priority, if I go to a Porsche Centre and decide I want to buy a 911 GT3 or a Turbo S or whatever I decide I'd like, I should be able to do that. The OPCs should stop taking advance deposits and make the cars available on a "first come first served basis" only on the day they become available to sell then if you really want the car you would set up camp outside the OPC waiting for the doors to open.

I have watched this thread develop with interest as somone who has been lucky enough to own 2 new OPC supplied GT cars and who has been a member of the club for more than 15 years. I would say at the outset that I have very much enjoyed the facilities the club offers and it is great to see it in such good health. In my opinion the curent board and Chris Seaward and his team are doing a great job. Thank you guys.

The current inconsistent allocation and undersupply of GT cars and resulting price speculation has become a significant issue causing frustration and annoyance for many of Porsches customers and in my view damaging for Porsches repuation. Where a strong relationship exists between a club and the manufacturer it sems reasonable to me that the two parties are able to discuss significant high level items that may be causing concern to either party. Rob as our Chairman I would therefore ask that you simply point out to Porsche GB that the current inconsitent method of allocating GT cars is causing numerous problems and needs to be addressed. I dont think that is an unreasonable request. Obviously this relationship should not be abused with minor individual cases but where significant issues arise surely there should be an open channel of communication. I am sure Porsche will not be slow to come forward if the Club does something it does not like.

I dont accept the argument that Porsche GB cannot control the OPC's because they exercise huge control in just about every area of how their busineesses are run, what cars they take, what systems they have to use, what the showrooms are like etc etc. This problem does seem to apply to the UK alone and is nowhere as significant in other markets. I have some German friends who I go to Finland with for Porsches Ice driving and they tell me they have no difficulty buying GT cars. Porsche GB does seem to make the matter worse by constantly marketing cars we simply cant buy. For example I have received numerous communications from Porsche telling me how great the new GT2RS is but why, as Porsche wont sell me one. In my view there is a danger this is going to harm rather than help Porsche as customers do have choices and alternatives.

Surely the basic problem is the UK Porsche GT market is undersupplied together with the fact that the GT cars now have a much bigger band width and appeal to a much wider audience than before thanks to techical improvements in suspension and driveability. My wife and I recetly did 850 miles over a few days in my 991 GT 3 and I would gladly have carrried on. The car is also a fabulous track weapon

Porsche seems to like keeping its OPC's in the dark as they often cant confirm whether a particular model is going to be produced or if it is any of the details. For example why no GT 2 this time? For both of my GT cars I had to oorder them before I knew anything about the cars and did it simply on trust. Is this secrecy really necessary. By comparison McLaren have already announced their next hypercar which is still some time away and have written to those who applied for one telling them whether they have been succesful or not. McLaren have already announced they wil produce Spider and LT versions of their 720S they have just launched so keep their customers informed

So what would I like from Porsche GB:
1. Pleae increase supply of GT cars to the UK as they are now far more mainstream than they were
2. Please come up with a consistent allocation system that everyone can understand and get the OPC's to stick to it
3. Please be more open about whats coming and keep the OPC's better informed as currently the enthusiasts often know more than the OPC's

Given Porsches track record on such matters I will not be holding my breath

There are other issues I have not raised. The system such as it is currently depends on your relationship with an OPC. Heaven help you if you move house to a different area as I did. Silly me. Surely there should be a way of crediting your total Porsche relationship that can be credited if you move

some interesting points raised here but coming back to the original complaint that a youtuber has managed to get a gt car it should be pointed out that at least he gets his cars, including his GT4 out all across the UK and Europe at various events and puts some serious miles on his cars, unlike a lot of pure speculators or collectors that just tuck them away as an investment, and no im not a "skint teenager" but can see why he offers a better image to the brand than someone that takes it home and keeps it tucked away

As the initiator of this thread I feel compelled to makes a few observations. In reply to nikmartin9's point above; the issue for me and others as is emerging, is the process or lack thereof in regard allocation of GT cars. Youtubers such as shmee are a symptom of the key issue.
I tried to make that point before "My issue is not with these youtubers either as such, the issue lies clearly in the lack of honesty and clarity from Porsche via their 34 OPC's in the UK, as to how LPUKC's are to get access to the GT cars that they want to buy."

Bobfair replied above also and I thought made an excellent, well explained and considered reply to the entire issue. Bobfair is a long standing club member and does a great job in separating the issues to allow focus to rest on the supply and allocation of GT cars in the UK. He raises a request to Rob and the board of PCGB to have that discussion with Porsche GB but having recused myself from further involvement in that slice of the debate, I will wait and watch devoid of prior judgment as to how this develops. Credit to bobfair for his intelligent and rounded contribution.

bobfair said:
Rob as our Chairman I would therefore ask that you simply point out to Porsche GB that the current inconsitent method of allocating GT cars is causing numerous problems and needs to be addressed. I dont think that is an unreasonable request.

Bob, many thanks for your contribution and also for your kind words regarding Chris and the Board which are very much appreciated.

This is a live issue where the Club has already had conversations with very senior people at Porsche's Reading HQ. The team there are acutely aware of the issue, and I am sure that if they could negotiate a greater allocation of cars for the UK then they would. I know of one Club member who is in discussions privately with Reading about his local Porsche Centre not supplying him with a GT3; he was very disappointed. I know of 2 Club members personally (not Board members!) who have been allocated "halo" cars recently partly because of their relationship with the Club and their promises to use the vehicles and display them at events.

There are no easy answers here. I think the UK market is probably more complicated than many European markets; there has been an explosion in the value of collectible cars in the UK across the board, we are a right hand drive market and Porsche has to satisfy huge demand for its products in markets such as China. I was told very recently that the day after the 991 turbo S Exclusive was launched, one Porsche Centre had received 15 expressions of interest from people it had never heard of or dealt with before; the Centre's total allocation will be one car. As Bob says, the GT cars are more accessible now so demand is likely to be even greater than it was for earlier cars. Simple supply and demand is at play.

This is not a phenomena that is likely to go away (until there are changes in the wider economy) but I will ask Chris Seaward to mention the concerns raised on here when an appropriate opportunity arises, perhaps at our next scheduled meeting.

I wouldn't hold your breath.
I was in touch with Chris Craft direct last year regarding this and his take was as follows (direct quote):-

"Our wish is that ... GT cars go to customers that savour the experience of driving such machines and enjoy them as intended. We therefore distribute these cars to our appointed network who we believe are closest to the market, know our customers best as they have a direct relationship with you and hence are best placed to handle the sale of them. PCGB does not get directly involved in prioritising orders"
Regards,

Clive

Thank you Rob. I really do hope that Porsche starts to understand that their current marketing and supply policy for GT cars is upsetting a lot of loyal customers who want to buy and use their sports cars. My local OPC told me last night that they are only getting 5 Gen 2 GT3's, they expect to get only 2 or 3 RS's next year and currently dont expect to get any GT2 RS's. That does seem rather low for a manufacturer now making 250,000 vehicles a year.

My GT 3 will be at the Clubs track day at Castle Combe next Thursday and hope to see you there Ralph.

New here, and new to Porsche.

As a business man, i find the Porsche mentality (for want of a better word) at odds with good Business. Porsche are effectively handed investment buyers a £80k ish profit. Why would you do that? make more cars and charge more for them... then supply and demand meet.

Yes that would be the sensible response but Porsche have always had their own way of doing things. The GT cars only represent around 1% of the vehicles they make so are not that material to the bottom line of what is now a major SUV manufacturer. I suspect the main reason why Porsche still produces race cars and GT cars is to ensure their main stream models Cayenne, Macan etc have a sporty image and command a premium price. Its all about the brand. The frustrating thing from the enthusiasts point of view is tha the GT cars have always (well nearly always) been very good

bobfair said:
Surely the basic problem is the UK Porsche GT market is undersupplied together with the fact that the GT cars now have a much bigger band width and appeal to a much wider audience than before thanks to techical improvements in suspension and driveability. My wife and I recetly did 850 miles over a few days in my 991 GT 3 and I would gladly have carrried on. The car is also a fabulous track weapon

There may be an element of this, although the recently announced GT2 RS appears to be quite a radical and focussed model in itself. I would have thought increasing demand is more likely due to current easy financing terms and the investment potential for cash buyers suffering poor returns elsewhere.

Halo cars have always been difficult to we mere mortals. 10 years ago I had deposits down with 2 centres for a 997 GT2 and was turned down by both, until it was discovered I had ordered a new Ferrari instead, then suddenly a new GT2 became available.
Regards,

Clive

Lancerlot said:
I wouldn't hold your breath.
I was in touch with Chris Craft direct last year regarding this and his take was as follows (direct quote):-

"Our wish is that ... GT cars go to customers that savour the experience of driving such machines and enjoy them as intended. We therefore distribute these cars to our appointed network who we believe are closest to the market, know our customers best as they have a direct relationship with you and hence are best placed to handle the sale of them. PCGB does not get directly involved in prioritising orders"
Regards,

Clive

Interesting quote from Chris Craft having had an offer of a car last night, and specced this morning and delivery due in November. My OPC has known of my interest, firstly in the R (no chance) and then in the 2017 GT3.2 (no chance) and then the 2018 allocation (unknown). However, a slot became available unexpectedly and my dealership team decided to offer it to me. They know me, my buying history, my support for OPC's, (purchasing, servicing etc), and the fact the car will be used and not flipped, and gave me the chance to take up the opportunity. As Rob also said, they know I have been involved with PCGB for many years and attend shows and tours etc and it all helps promote the brand. Having said that it was still a pleasant surprise and made for an exciting morning, so thanks also to GT3 owners Nick and Mike who helped me sort out the options overnight.

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back