Menu toggle

Are Spyders Becoming Extinct At OPCs!

New Page New Pic
14602472650_babdbd7a5c_b.jpg
15124563950_699b9905c6_b.jpg

Does make me smile when I see Spyders with this selling point…... ''PCM Sat Nav (recently updated with 3D view and full postcode entry)'' Be interesting to know many times this is actually used. Given that the typical Spyder use is weekend fair weather driving (except for those few who do the European trips) around the best driving roads you know locally, why is this a selling point in a lightweight car? Isn't the pleasure just in driving, enjoying the car on open roads with no particular destination in mind, without technology telling you where to go? If you need guidance use a map, it weighs less. [:D] I get the desire to have a radio, but again a portable DAB radio does the job just fine.

ORIGINAL: DarrellWilson Does make me smile when I see Spyders with this selling point…... ''PCM Sat Nav (recently updated with 3D view and full postcode entry)'' Be interesting to know many times this is actually used. Given that the typical Spyder use is weekend fair weather driving (except for those few who do the European trips) around the best driving roads you know locally, why is this a selling point in a lightweight car? Isn't the pleasure just in driving, enjoying the car on open roads with no particular destination in mind, without technology telling you where to go? If you need guidance use a map, it weighs less. [:D] I get the desire to have a radio, but again a portable DAB radio does the job just fine.
In 2014 "many" but not "all" like their creature comforts no matter how light a cars main claim to fame is[:D] Just look at the history and light weight claim to fame for 356/930/964 Speedsters and then the most commercially successful Speedster ever 997 went out of the factory with every single option box ticked as standard [:eek:] The world has moved on in this century as far as basics goes[&o]
13831274465_965ffc1072_o.jpg

When you look at atom or caterham, the Spyder does what it does well in comfort in lightweight spec. I am more inclined to buy A lotus or a Noble (owned both) or a atom over a Boxster. But the Spyder was interesting but still the lightest car Porsche had made in years. I simply did not want the weight back in, I sold my last few cars because they felt heavy and I was pissed of with lardy cars. It was over the Spyder or another Exige in cup form for me. To go along side my 2 daily other cars.

New Spyder For Sale[8D] White. Black Leatherette & Alcantara Seats. Alloy Wheels, Electric Windows, Central Door Locking, Alarm, CD Player, 19" Alloy Wheels, Radio/CD, Floor Mats Full Service History, Financing Available, Delivery Available, Dealer/Manufacturer Warranty, Approved Vehicle 19" Boxster Spyder Wheels, Sound Package Plus inc CD Storage, Sport Bucket Seats, Steering Column Casing in Leather, Wheel Centre Set, CDR-30 Audio System. Petrol PORSCHE Boxster Spyder (2010) For sale from Porsche Centre Swindon, in Wiltshire, United Kingdom £44,850
porsche-boxster-spyder-90937224-1.jpg

Nice price, Think we will see a few cars for sale now 6 or 7 GT3 have up on the market now season is over and prices are high, will this cause a price drop on these over priced cars ? £150k+ is a joke but they are not selling same day now as there were in the summer. My gt3 was a hard sell in Feb it's def easier to sell sports cars in April/May. Can Spyders with 10k miles fetch £50k next May, prob so.

ORIGINAL: MrDemon When you look at atom or caterham, the Spyder does what it does well in comfort in lightweight spec. I am more inclined to buy A lotus or a Noble (owned both) or a atom over a Boxster. But the Spyder was interesting but still the lightest car Porsche had made in years. I simply did not want the weight back in, I sold my last few cars because they felt heavy and I was pissed of with lardy cars. It was over the Spyder or another Exige in cup form for me. To go along side my 2 daily other cars.
Exige V6 Cup or the Cup R is a car I have on my shortlist of cars to own at some point in my life. A little more hardcore than the Spyder but perhaps even more thrills. If Spyder prices keep strengthening then I'll soon be able to afford one. The new Swindon car makes mine like look cheap at just £150 more - no PSE; short shift or PCCB's.

No way I would by a naked spec one. Car is still lightweight no matter what options are added on the build sheet. Navigation for me is a must. I don't just drive on roads where I know my way and I prefer it being built in to the car and not being stuck on the windscreen. Hands free is an absolute must now also. I get that some people may not want or need to make and receive call when out driving but I do. Air conditioning is a must. Can't stand cooking in the car on a hot day. Sports seats were a must for me as the buckets sit too low in the car. Not everyone has this issue but for me without this option would of made the car a non starter. Without a sports exhaust they sound limp. Without the extended leather they look cheap. Each to their own, we all like different things but to claim that the Spyder is ruined by adding a few modern day comforts to it seems a bit daft. Like for like it is still far lighter than the same Boxster no matter what is on it. Comparing it to a Noble/Lotus/Atom also seems a bit strange.

Yeah the Spyder isn't an Atom or Lotus alternative. Porsche doesn't make such cars. Even the RS cars are not of that flavour. The Spyder isn't an RS model either. Porsche doesn't market the RS models on "we even removed the radio". The brochure talks about the radio as a standard piece of kit in this car that is a combination of comfort and exhilaration. Heck, they don't even remove the carpets Yes the Spyder's main philosophy is saving weight and the laws of physics govern that any weight saving, however small will enhance the handling, acceleration and retardation. But to focus on any significance of the radio and AC delete as having a discernable difference to the on road experience would be to suggest that the engine is so weak as to show up an extra 15 kilos. Switch to sports seats and the returned weight total is 27Kg. Such a Spyder which is 53Kg lighter than a standard Boxster S vs a Spyder that is 80Kg less than an a Standard Boxster S is going to be minimal. I don't know what's the threshold point is to start feeling the weight addition but for sure a point comes when you'd feel it, but not 27kg I reckon. My son's kart has only 6hp and I had to put 18Kg of lead ballast on it to bring him up to the minimum weight for his MSA racing because he was so small. Yes it does make a difference to his lap times but not of a magnitude that I would expect the same 18kg to make a discernible difference to a 320hp engine in the Spyder. Makes a difference the kart's handling but thankfully to increase rear traction lol. But ultimately it's dead weight as you're supposed to shift your body weight around to optimise the kart's handling. Can't see that order of mass making much difference to the handling of a 1.275 tonne car. Otherwise the car would have to be riding very softly. Since changing cars i've had less focus on weight saving. I think i'd have to fill this car's cabin space with lead before feeling any difference in performance lol[:D]. At over 1.6 tonnes designed into the car, I think a very large mass reduction or addition would be needed to make a discernible difference to the handling as the car is already too heavy to pretend to be anything other than a GT car. A very good one at that though. I think a major part of the Spyder driving experience is the lowered suspension, just as with the RS models.

ORIGINAL: flat6 Yeah the Spyder isn't an Atom or Lotus alternative. Porsche doesn't make such cars. Even the RS cars are not of that flavour. The Spyder isn't an RS model either. Porsche doesn't market the RS models on "we even removed the radio". The brochure talks about the radio as a standard piece of kit in this car that is a combination of comfort and exhilaration. Heck, they don't even remove the carpets Yes the Spyder's main philosophy is saving weight and the laws of physics govern that any weight saving, however small will enhance the handling, acceleration and retardation. But to focus on any significance of the radio and AC delete as having a discernable difference to the on road experience would be to suggest that the engine is so weak as to show up an extra 15 kilos. Switch to sports seats and the returned weight total is 27Kg. Such a Spyder which is 53Kg lighter than a standard Boxster S vs a Spyder that is 80Kg less than an a Standard Boxster S is going to be minimal. I don't know what's the threshold point is to start feeling the weight addition but for sure a point comes when you'd feel it, but not 27kg I reckon. My son's kart has only 6hp and I had to put 18Kg of lead ballast on it to bring him up to the minimum weight for his MSA racing because he was so small. Yes it does make a difference to his lap times but not of a magnitude that I would expect the same 18kg to make a discernible difference to a 320hp engine in the Spyder. Makes a difference the kart's handling but thankfully to increase rear traction lol. But ultimately it's dead weight as you're supposed to shift your body weight around to optimise the kart's handling. Can't see that order of mass making much difference to the handling of a 1.275 tonne car. Otherwise the car would have to be riding very softly. Since changing cars i've had less focus on weight saving. I think i'd have to fill this car's cabin space with lead before feeling any difference in performance lol[:D]. At over 1.6 tonnes designed into the car, I think a very large mass reduction or addition would be needed to make a discernible difference to the handling as the car is already too heavy to pretend to be anything other than a GT car. A very good one at that though. I think a major part of the Spyder driving experience is the lowered suspension, just as with the RS models.
I have driven back to back a bare bones Spyder with Ceramics and then a fat boy with Turbo 11 wheels radio air nav sports seats and couldn't tell any difference what so ever. My tutor that day confirmed the Spyder is about 2 things only the chassis set up and removal of the really important weight saving piece of kit the power roof everything else including the fabric door pulls is pure marketing hype. Around the PEC both cars are going to feel identical and against a stop watch there would be nothing in it. Armed with this information and my personal driving experience that day I no longer was in search of the lightest possible example

Well just a few years ago (well 1974) I had a Clan Crusader. Not the most powerful car. For those that done know it was powered by a Hillman Imp engine, the Car was very low and fairly light. Of course it was not the fastest thing in a straight line but take it down a twisty B road and it could live with most things. By the way - It had a radio - Now here we will see who is showing there age - I was told to keep the weight down and only listen to the Light Programme[;)]

ORIGINAL: DarrellWilson Does make me smile when I see Spyders with this selling point…... ''PCM Sat Nav (recently updated with 3D view and full postcode entry)'' Be interesting to know many times this is actually used. Given that the typical Spyder use is weekend fair weather driving (except for those few who do the European trips) around the best driving roads you know locally, why is this a selling point in a lightweight car? Isn't the pleasure just in driving, enjoying the car on open roads with no particular destination in mind, without technology telling you where to go? If you need guidance use a map, it weighs less. [:D] I get the desire to have a radio, but again a portable DAB radio does the job just fine.
All the time. Even on trips you know, it updates to the traffic incidents. Sadly not everyone lives backing on to great driving roads. Obviously you can also designate "non motorway" or scenic routes which tend to be more interesting. And you don't need to stop all the time to consult a map - you can just plug-in way points for a great day's driving. It's a £60k car new, and factory fit sat-nav is a must at that price point. You hardly want a Tom-Tom glued to the windscreen with wires trailing about. The weight argument is laughable as we all know - the PCM is what, 2kg? No-one can tell the difference with or without that small amount. Put in 2l less fuel if it bothers you! And the "standard" radio screen looks awful. At least that was part of my advert you couldn't "borrow"[:D] not sure why it wouldn't be included as a selling point.

ORIGINAL: daro911 I have driven back to back a bare bones Spyder with Ceramics and then a fat boy with Turbo 11 wheels radio air nav sports seats and couldn't tell any difference what so ever. My tutor that day confirmed the Spyder is about 2 things only the chassis set up and removal of the really important weight saving piece of kit the power roof everything else including the fabric door pulls is pure marketing hype. Around the PEC both cars are going to feel identical and against a stop watch there would be nothing in it. Armed with this information and my personal driving experience that day I no longer was in search of the lightest possible example
In which case quite why anyone would put up without a radio (or sat nav for that matter) for zero benefit appears to be nothing less than self flagellation!

well i find a Spyder a good replacement for my last car, an Atom and that was a good replacement for the car before that , a Caterham. what ever spec you have in the spyder it is luxury in comparison to them. for me the Spyder is pure fun, every road leads home so who needs a sat nav, AC is good for 3 days a year and a radio i find i use only for listerning to the F1 on a sunday drive. i find a lot of people want the extras not because they want them but because they think other people will want them when time comes to sell. you then sell them to people who buy for the same reason. when i take the car out it is for enjoyment and do not want to be contacted, my leasure time is my time and driving my cars is my time. leather interior i would have liked but red is too red and black a bit boaring (would have prefaired it to not having it) i am thinking of adding a bit of colour to the inside of my car with 3 lower dash panels and bucket seat centers in red Alcantara. shame they never made a Boxster/Spyder with two tone leather interiors, red with black dash and door tops. well thats just my thoughts, all to their own

Would love to see the Red Alcantara would look very nice .....as to a radio I have one ,had it on a couple of times only when Mrs Kitchens was in the car as she said it distracts her from the way I drive [:D][:D]. This weight saving is a nonsense take a passenger in the car or a full tank off fuel and all the weight saving goes out the window and I don't give a dam if I am a second or so slower than the next guy .

i have just started to buy extra lower dash panels off ebay in leather (colour not inportant) and i will get approx 2m of red Alcantara from UK supplier, UK Hide then recover them. that way i will have the origional panels untouched to always stay with the car. i have only got the lower drivers side one as yet and will keep looking for the 2 on the pasengers side. i should also be having my new Sports Design Wheel delivered to my sister in her appartment in florida on monday from Suncoast and should get that when i see her in december. that will be then recovered as on the GT3 in Alcantara with red band and stitching. slow process but hopefully all will be done over winter.

ORIGINAL: billy1
All the time. Even on trips you know, it updates to the traffic incidents. Sadly not everyone lives backing on to great driving roads. Obviously you can also designate "non motorway" or scenic routes which tend to be more interesting. And you don't need to stop all the time to consult a map - you can just plug-in way points for a great day's driving. It's a £60k car new, and factory fit sat-nav is a must at that price point. You hardly want a Tom-Tom glued to the windscreen with wires trailing about. The weight argument is laughable as we all know - the PCM is what, 2kg? No-one can tell the difference with or without that small amount. Put in 2l less fuel if it bothers you! And the "standard" radio screen looks awful. At least that was part of my advert you couldn't "borrow"[:D] not sure why it wouldn't be included as a selling point.
Can you write that with a straight face lol. I laughed out loud , thanks.

ORIGINAL: MrDemon
ORIGINAL: billy1
Can you write that with a straight face lol. I laughed out loud , thanks.
Not as funny as your suggestion that you can feel each KG of weight Mr D!

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back