Menu toggle

Are Spyders Becoming Extinct At OPCs!

According to the article in this months News PP Page 6 ..The redline arrives at 8000rpm in a car that will NOT be offered in PDK ...so someone have got their facts wrong .

If production really does match demand then it seems likely that the 718 Spyder will depreciate, and that must surely have a knock on effect on the value of previous gen cars, at least in the short term . . . .

iansr said:
If production really does match demand then it seems likely that the 718 Spyder will depreciate, and that must surely have a knock on effect on the value of previous gen cars, at least in the short term . . . .
With the 981 Standard kit including folding buckets factored into the equation there is a £15000 difference in the 2 list prices so the original screamer has a good heads start right away IMO

In the interview below he confirms they intend supplying numbers to match the demand and they need too in order to recoup the costs of the 80% all new engine plus production will run into 2021

Brian PDK was confirmed by AP in interview below with Henry Catchpole at 6minute mark as eventually becoming an option in the latter end of the production run maybe when the car has stalled selling as a manual Porsche will then stoke the flames with the PDK:ROFLMAO:

As it stands right now if you want the fastest 718 then you will want the considerably cheaper 718 GTS PDK [&:]

[link=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqW-cQPL6tE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqW-cQPL6tE[/link]

iansr said:
Not sure that I agree .

Surely with higher 718 Spyder numbers this will only firm up up the prices of the 987 and 981 Spyders due to the rarity appeal

pishtail said:
iansr said:
Not sure that I agree .

Surely with higher 718 Spyder numbers this will only firm up up the prices of the 987 and 981 Spyders due to the rarity appeal

Knock on effect could mean UP or DOWN

However, if we have high 718 production numbers you would expect an increase in previous Spyder values, or at least they will mark time.

What's hot what's not so hot 981 Spyder colour wise [8D] and by this time 2020 wonder how many 718 UK Spyders will have been made[&:]

227 UK 981 Spyders of which:- Black 19 Blue 22 Green 1 Grey 12 Red 27 Silver 62 White 78 Yellow 6

jdpef356 said:
pishtail said:
iansr said:
Not sure that I agree .

However, if we have high 718 production numbers you would expect an increase in previous Spyder values, or at least they will mark time.
Well let me give you the perspective of someone who doesn‘t currently own a Spyder but who would like one. Roll forward 18 / 24 months and lets assume there are used 718 Spyders available and that they have depreciated. Its a better car than the 981 (it’s a GT4 without a roof), but it doesn’t sound as good. Would that better noise be enough to persuade me to pay more for a 981? No way.

iansr said:
jdpef356 said:
pishtail said:
iansr said:
Not sure that I agree .

Well let me give you the perspective of someone who doesn‘t currently own a Spyder but who would like one. Roll forward 18 / 24 months and lets assume there are used 718 Spyders available and that they have depreciated. Its a better car than the 981 (it’s a GT4 without a roof), but it doesn’t sound as good. Would that better noise be enough to persuade me to pay more for a 981? No way.

718 a better car every where, the 981 was a bit naff imo, there will always be a £20k gap price wise, then which do you choose.

718 Spyder pick of the bunch atm vs the GT4.

981 are about £65k if you want to act sell one, the news one is £85k speced up.

are the new cars really Spyders !!! not imo, only by name, it has a Boxster roof with fake tails !!

718's a nice car all told and cheaper than a GT4.

the 987 spyder was real spyder and the sun shade roof is a joy to use and drive about with, on or off, as on you can remove the wrap around.

the former will over take the latter price wise also.

MrDemon said:
iansr said:
jdpef356 said:
pishtail said:
iansr said:
Not sure that I agree .

718 a better car every where, the 981 was a bit naff imo, there will always be a £20k gap price wise, then which do you choose.

are the new cars really Spyders !!! not imo, only by name, it has a Boxster roof with fake tails !!

the 987 spyder was real spyder and the sun shade roof is a joy to use and drive about with, on or off, as on you can remove the wrap around.

I like your train of thought

MrDemon said:

Better car every where![&:]

Interesting as we are yet to see a proper C16 spec Spyder review and how it handles our finest pot holed patched roads but if you personally prefer higher CO2's, less mpg, almost identical performance figures on the road in the real world to the 981, more weight, but lighter steering and lighter clutch pedal pressure then it has your name rather than mine writ large all over it

Boxster roof with tails "really" when it has no heated glass rear window, no multi layers thick and lined Boxster roof, no electric folding so once again you are stating your unbiased personal feelings and not actual facts

I will await a proper personal "road" test so I can compare the greatest Spyder made to date v the new boy but in the meantime summer 2019 rocks on and at your £65k for the 981 version looks like a real steal in todays uncertain world

Boxster roof with tails "really" when it has no heated glass rear window, no multi layers thick and lined Boxster roof, no electric folding so once again you are stating your unbiased personal feelings and not actual facts.

I agree the standard Boxster roof bears no resemblance to a Spyder 981 or the 718 get caught out in a thunderstorm/downpour and you will find out quickly it bears no resemblance ,as to the 987 as you know I still have one of the original's and the roof is even more time consuming but not an issue with the low miles/fine weather I use it .The definite downside is if I go on the continent with it on the fast roads I am stuffed cannot do over 114 so cannot keep up with fellow owners on say a road trip to the Spa /Ring who are traveling a lot faster .I will keep the 987 for a long time to come it is the perfect car for ME and my needs. Cannot see me getting into 718 ownership as selling my 981 in January I am back to the same scenario and to add £20 k what's the point.It was my intention way back to say I owned 3 Red Spyders ,a first I would have thought but common sence kicked in

Henry speaks up[8D]

Sound track volume & cracks & bangs are now gone [&:]

[link=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHb3-aNuZzQ&feature=youtu.be]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHb3-aNuZzQ&feature=youtu.be[/link]

Before the trip to Scotland, R&T borrowed a 718 Boxster GTS from Porsche. You know, the one with a 365-hp turbo-four. The goal was to re-acquaint ourselves with Porsche’s mid-engine sports car ahead of the Spyder’s introduction. I picked up the GTS in midtown Manhattan, dodged potholes the size of swimming pools on my commute home, and reveled in the seven-speed PDK transmission’s seamless, brainless efficacy. I parked the GTS street-side, feeling fresh, like I’d just wafted home in a Mercedes.

The next day, I pointed the GTS north, trading New York City’s early-morning bustle for the bucolic bliss of Lime Rock, Connecticut. The roads surrounding Lime Rock Park raceway are much like the track itself—dipping, rising, winding, narrow. Perfect territory to suss out a sports car.

The GTS was a willing partner. I let the top down and reveled in the summer heat flitting over my forearms, awash in the burbling notes from the 2.5-liter four. The Boxster dove into blind corners with vigor, clawing out of each bend on a wave of turbo boost. Full torque (317 lb.-ft) is available from [link=tel:1900-5000]1900-5000[/link] rpm, with a redline set at 7500 rpm, lending a punchy, growling character to the GTS. I settled into a groove with that engine, hammering the throttle the instant each corner exit appeared. I enjoyed every second.

gts2-1564074504.jpg
The GTS leverages its low-down torque, complete with a growling soundtrack. I’ve never understood the cold reception for this four-cylinder. As a former Porsche 912 owner, the GTS soundtrack reminded me of the big-bore four in my own car–of the memories made with that thrashing, lumping engine in the background. Porsche’s early racing history was built on flat-four genius, too. Porsche tried to remind its consumers of that by propping "718" in front of the Boxster name. Lagging sales and the re-introduction of the six-cylinder engine suggest that new badge didn’t speak to most.

I wheeled the GTS away from Lime Rock later that afternoon. The drive back to Brooklyn took nearly three hours, most of it spent drudging through pre-Fourth of July traffic or scampering along rutted highways and side streets. I’m often amazed by the Big Apple, which can provide world-class sushi, Ethiopian, and Italian on the same city block, but can’t spare a dime to fix its moonscape roads.

The GTS never complained. It caromed over bumps and into ruts. Before each, I’d brace for an impact that never came. The way the GTS’s suspension irons out lumps is commendable. Miraculous, almost, for a sports car with no fixed roof, a taut chassis, and 20-inch wheels on relatively short sidewalls. While I praised the GT4 for its smoothness at the racetrack, the GTS goes a step further, smoothing out real-world roads effortlessly.

gts4-1564074597.jpg
I can’t say the same for the Boxster Spyder. The roads I drove in Scotland were narrower than the ones near Lime Rock. Just as lumpy, too. Those forces (and considerable rain) conspired to lower my speed in the Spyder. Even still, the Spyder thwacked harshly against bumps that wouldn’t phase the GTS. There were several times during the drive where a rutted road would rack the car, and I’d look over at my passenger. We had the same shocked expression on our faces; one that meant "that sounds like an expensive repair." Nothing broke, of course, but those exchanges are hardly comforting.

spyder1-1564074659.jpg
The Boxster Spyder: brilliant in its own right. With a clamshell covering its soft top, we reckon it’s the best-looking Boxster. At these lower speeds, I rarely found the Spyder engine’s sweet spot, either. The naturally-aspirated 4.0-liter flat-six peaks at 7600 rpm, punching out 414 hp. On the racetrack, in the GT4, you savor every last revolution of the crank before slamming another upshift. Not out here, where less-whimsical creatures like sheep, cows and deer could hide around every corner. But that’s the real world for you: rocky, lumpy, rainy. Unpredictable, most of all.

In the real world, you probably think about money, too. The Spyder costs $96,300 before the destination charge. The GTS is cheaper, at $82,800 MSRP. Add $3730 to that if you want the PDK transmission. The Spyder's extra $14,100 endows your Boxster with a naturally-aspirated flat-six, a gorgeous clamshell to hide your cloth roof, and a chassis borrowed from the GT4. I suspect many buyers will jump at it. For me, the juice isn’t worth the squeeze.

[link=https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/first-drives/a27634248/2020-porsche-911-speedster-first-drive-review/]I was similarly critical of the 911 Speedster[/link], a car with all the right ingredients, but that lacked the breadth of talents to justify its exorbitant cost over a GT3. The Spyder, by my assessment, is a road car like the Speedster. As soon as you get rid of the top, I’m much less enthusiastic about wringing it out on a track. As such, the Spyder’s sharper-but-harsher chassis makes less sense than the GTS–whether on backroads in Scotland or near Lime Rock, Connecticut.

Same goes for the peaky 4.0-liter flat six, which shines on-track in the GT4, but doesn’t get to breathe and shout much on the road. That much-anticipated engine adds another 204 lbs to the Spyder, too, compared to a stick-shift GTS. That’s weight worth noting. Of final mention are the convertible tops. To lower the Spyder’s roof, you have to leave the cabin and fold the cloth top under that gorgeous clamshell by hand. In the GTS, there’s a button for all that.

There are no losers among Boxster buyers. Both the GTS and Spyder are brilliant, engaging sports cars. But it just so happens the best all-round Boxster comes with four cylinders, not six, thrumming behind the driver's back.

daro911 said:
Before the trip to Scotland, R&T borrowed a 718 Boxster GTS from Porsche. You know, the one with a 365-hp turbo-four. The goal was to re-acquaint ourselves with Porsche’s mid-engine sports car ahead of the Spyder’s introduction. I picked up the GTS in midtown Manhattan, dodged potholes the size of swimming pools on my commute home, and reveled in the seven-speed PDK transmission’s seamless, brainless efficacy. I parked the GTS street-side, feeling fresh, like I’d just wafted home in a Mercedes. The next day, I pointed the GTS north, trading New York City’s early-morning bustle for the bucolic bliss of Lime Rock, Connecticut. The roads surrounding Lime Rock Park raceway are much like the track itself—dipping, rising, winding, narrow. Perfect territory to suss out a sports car. The GTS was a willing partner. I let the top down and reveled in the summer heat flitting over my forearms, awash in the burbling notes from the 2.5-liter four. The Boxster dove into blind corners with vigor, clawing out of each bend on a wave of turbo boost. Full torque (317 lb.-ft) is available from [link=tel:1900-5000]1900-5000[/link] rpm, with a redline set at 7500 rpm, lending a punchy, growling character to the GTS. I settled into a groove with that engine, hammering the throttle the instant each corner exit appeared. I enjoyed every second.
gts2-1564074504.jpg
The GTS leverages its low-down torque, complete with a growling soundtrack. I’ve never understood the cold reception for this four-cylinder. As a former Porsche 912 owner, the GTS soundtrack reminded me of the big-bore four in my own car–of the memories made with that thrashing, lumping engine in the background. Porsche’s early racing history was built on flat-four genius, too. Porsche tried to remind its consumers of that by propping "718" in front of the Boxster name. Lagging sales and the re-introduction of the six-cylinder engine suggest that new badge didn’t speak to most. I wheeled the GTS away from Lime Rock later that afternoon. The drive back to Brooklyn took nearly three hours, most of it spent drudging through pre-Fourth of July traffic or scampering along rutted highways and side streets. I’m often amazed by the Big Apple, which can provide world-class sushi, Ethiopian, and Italian on the same city block, but can’t spare a dime to fix its moonscape roads. The GTS never complained. It caromed over bumps and into ruts. Before each, I’d brace for an impact that never came. The way the GTS’s suspension irons out lumps is commendable. Miraculous, almost, for a sports car with no fixed roof, a taut chassis, and 20-inch wheels on relatively short sidewalls. While I praised the GT4 for its smoothness at the racetrack, the GTS goes a step further, smoothing out real-world roads effortlessly.
gts4-1564074597.jpg
I can’t say the same for the Boxster Spyder. The roads I drove in Scotland were narrower than the ones near Lime Rock. Just as lumpy, too. Those forces (and considerable rain) conspired to lower my speed in the Spyder. Even still, the Spyder thwacked harshly against bumps that wouldn’t phase the GTS. There were several times during the drive where a rutted road would rack the car, and I’d look over at my passenger. We had the same shocked expression on our faces; one that meant "that sounds like an expensive repair." Nothing broke, of course, but those exchanges are hardly comforting.
spyder1-1564074659.jpg
The Boxster Spyder: brilliant in its own right. With a clamshell covering its soft top, we reckon it’s the best-looking Boxster. At these lower speeds, I rarely found the Spyder engine’s sweet spot, either. The naturally-aspirated 4.0-liter flat-six peaks at 7600 rpm, punching out 414 hp. On the racetrack, in the GT4, you savor every last revolution of the crank before slamming another upshift. Not out here, where less-whimsical creatures like sheep, cows and deer could hide around every corner. But that’s the real world for you: rocky, lumpy, rainy. Unpredictable, most of all. In the real world, you probably think about money, too. The Spyder costs $96,300 before the destination charge. The GTS is cheaper, at $82,800 MSRP. Add $3730 to that if you want the PDK transmission. The Spyder's extra $14,100 endows your Boxster with a naturally-aspirated flat-six, a gorgeous clamshell to hide your cloth roof, and a chassis borrowed from the GT4. I suspect many buyers will jump at it. For me, the juice isn’t worth the squeeze. [link=https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/first-drives/a27634248/2020-porsche-911-speedster-first-drive-review/]I was similarly critical of the 911 Speedster[/link], a car with all the right ingredients, but that lacked the breadth of talents to justify its exorbitant cost over a GT3. The Spyder, by my assessment, is a road car like the Speedster. As soon as you get rid of the top, I’m much less enthusiastic about wringing it out on a track. As such, the Spyder’s sharper-but-harsher chassis makes less sense than the GTS–whether on backroads in Scotland or near Lime Rock, Connecticut. Same goes for the peaky 4.0-liter flat six, which shines on-track in the GT4, but doesn’t get to breathe and shout much on the road. That much-anticipated engine adds another 204 lbs to the Spyder, too, compared to a stick-shift GTS. That’s weight worth noting. Of final mention are the convertible tops. To lower the Spyder’s roof, you have to leave the cabin and fold the cloth top under that gorgeous clamshell by hand. In the GTS, there’s a button for all that. There are no losers among Boxster buyers. Both the GTS and Spyder are brilliant, engaging sports cars. But it just so happens the best all-round Boxster comes with four cylinders, not six, thrumming behind the driver's back.
As the owner of a gorgeous 981 GTS in metallic grey ( I forget the official name of the colour) with the black exterior styling pack and 20” diamond cut alloys, the above encourages me down a path I’ve been thinking about; rather than spring for the new Spyder perhaps I’ll just keep the GTS and have it fettled to increase the power ( not that it’s lacking as is). That way I continue to enjoy the magnificent soundtrack - including the pops and crackles from the sports exhaust - and save myself a wedge of money. The twin humps on the Spyder do look terrific but then again my Boxster is the best looking standard variant I’ve ever seen . . .

iansr said:
As the owner of a gorgeous 981 GTS in metallic grey ( I forget the official name of the colour) with the black exterior styling pack and 20” diamond cut alloys, the above encourages me down a path I’ve been thinking about; rather than spring for the new Spyder perhaps I’ll just keep the GTS and have it fettled to increase the power ( not that it’s lacking as is). That way I continue to enjoy the magnificent soundtrack - including the pops and crackles from the sports exhaust - and save myself a wedge of money. The twin humps on the Spyder do look terrific but then again my Boxster is the best looking standard variant I’ve ever seen . . .
I would definitely keep your 981 GTS having driven a 19 plate 718 GTS yesterday[:eek:] I was unpleasantly surprised by the total lack of sound track even with PSE "ON" all down to GPF's stuffed into the exhaust system and the PDK with the F4 engine is nowhere near as smooth at low speeds as the same box in a F6

The car was very quick, rides superbly but also somewhat soul less compared to the 981 GTS [&:]

I now wait to hear the new 718 Spyder v the old but judging by yesterday's outing in a 718 with its GPF's I think the days of screaming popping crackling Porsche sports cars are now over

28833280382_171f6b4424_b.jpg

Has anyone in here got a 2019 Spyder build slot car coming this year[&:]

In the meantime another 5 star article although we learn nothing new from it :ROFLMAO:

[link=https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/22888/porsche-718-spyder-review-the-drop-top-gt4-weve-been-waiting-for]https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/22888/porsche-718-spyder-review-the-drop-top-gt4-weve-been-waiting-for[/link] [ul][*]Brilliant engine and gearbox, stunning looks, monster brakes, steering, VFM[/ul] .Manual hood remains a bit of a caper Last time out the Porsche Boxster Spyder was a very different car from the [link=https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/cayman-gt4/22886/new-2019-porsche-cayman-gt4-review-its-a-bit-special]Cayman GT4[/link] on which it wasn’t based. Instead it was basically a restyled [link=https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/718-boxster/gts]Boxster GTS[/link], not that there was a great deal wrong with that. Point is, though, it was nowhere near as focused in its chassis and suspension design as its fixed head brother with the big wing on the back.

This time, however, the 718 Spyder is exactly the same as a GT4 beneath its knee-tremblingly beautiful new skin. Same 4.0-litre flat six 992-based engine that revs to 8000rpm, same six-speed manual gearbox with auto blip on the downshifts and, most important of all, exactly the same GT3-inspired chassis, suspension, steering and brakes.

The only real difference between the Spyder and GT4 this time is the aerodynamic package. On aesthetic grounds Porsche decided not to fit the Spyder with a big rear wing (correct decision) and has instead gone for a smaller wing that retracts back into the rear bodywork at low speeds, plus the front splitter is nowhere near as pronounced. So the Spyder generates no lift as such, but also no downforce. Unlike the GT4.

The flip side is that the Spyder looks drop dead gorgeous in the flesh (as does the GT4 to be fair, though for different reasons) and the hood – still a mostly manual affair, so still a bit of a palaver to raise or lower to be honest – allows you to engage with the elements that much more viscerally. It also means you can hear the flat six more clearly on the move, which is a pleasure never to be underestimated. [link=https://www.evo.co.uk/reviews/22887/porsche-718-boxster-spyder-review-pictures]
s19_2863_fine.jpg
[/link] Engine, transmission and 0-60 time[/h2]The 718 Spyder is powered by the exact same 4.0-litre atmospheric flat six that propels the GT4. It produces 414bhp and can rev to 8000rpm. Maximum torque of 420Nm is developed between 5000-6800rpm, and if you’re wondering about its heritage the engine is actually a development of the new 992’s 3.0-lite flat six turbo. In this case it’s been bored out to 4.0-litres (the stroke remains unchanged from the 992’s motor) and its turbos have been removed. Like the GT4, it also features cylinder de-activation at light or zero throttle loads where it goes on to three cylinders to improve fuel consumption.

The gearbox is a six-speed manual with the same unusually long ratios in first and second as the GT4; it will do 85mph in second gear. The ‘box features a switchable auto blip function on downshifts that works a treat in practice, while the gear lever itself is also shorter than before for more precise movements.

[link=https://www.evo.co.uk/reviews/22887/porsche-718-boxster-spyder-review-pictures]
s19_2903_fine.jpg
20[/link] Give or take a kilo here or there, the new Spyder weighs exactly the same at a GT4, which means it weighs a touch more than it used to. Porsche admits that the kerb-weight has unfortunately risen by around 35kg to 1495kg due mainly to the fitment of new particulate filters in the huge new rear silencer. These will however keep it emissions friendly for many years to come.

On paper the Spyder has near identical performance to the GT4. It can hit 62mph in 4.4sec and takes 9.0sec dead to hit 100mph. Top speed is 186mph, and it’ll do that with the hood up or down, says Porsche.

[link=https://www.evo.co.uk/reviews/22887/porsche-718-boxster-spyder-review-pictures]
s19_2876_fine.jpg
[/link] [font="'helvetica neue', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 22px"]Technical highlights[/font] The Spyder’s chassis is exactly the same at the GT4’s, which means it is a lot more focused in setup than the previous Spyder. Essentially it’s a mid-engined version of the latest GT3 beneath the skin, and although there’s slightly less scope to adjust the suspension settings compared with the GT4 (whose dampers you can adjust manually if you know your way round a set of spanners) the two cars really are one and the same on this occasion.

Except for their aerodynamics. Without the GT4’s big rear wing or its dramatic front splitter, the Spyder doesn’t generate downforce, despite it featuring the same underbody diffuser as the GT4. Instead it merely suffers from no lift, says Porsche, which is good to know given the 186mph top speed.

s19_2894_fine.jpg
20[/link] The brakes feature the same huge cross ventilated steel rotors at each corner as the GT4, again sourced pretty much lock-stock from the GT3. And if you’re going to do lots of track days in your Spyder there’s also the option of carbon ceramic discs, albeit for an extra £5597.

Unlike the GT4 the Spyder gets Porsche’s PASM system as standard, plus the normally optional Sports Chrono Pack as well. Both cars come on the same bespoke-for-Porsche Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres, another sign of how much more serious a driving machine the Spyder is this time round.

What’s it like to drive?[/h2]Pretty special, to be honest. On a sunny day with the hood down, and under full beans in a low-ish gear, there is nothing else quite like the Spyder. And its combination of attributes is unique. The highlights include immense and instant throttle response at anything above 3000rpm, a spine-chilling exhaust scream, eye-watering body control, pin sharp steering and some of the best brakes you’ll come across in any road car, at any price. Yet it’s detail of the Spyder’s responses that arguably leave the biggest impression of all.

This is not a sledge-hammer kind of car, despite the fact that it is a seriously quick one. Instead it’s a car that’s multi-layered in its appeal. Even at 40mph there is feel through the steering wheel, through the seats and via the brakes that is simply missing from most, if not all other cars. There is a delicacy of touch to all its controls that can be appreciated, revelled in even, at any speed.

s19_2839_fine.jpg
20[/link] But when the moment comes and the right road eventually appears in the windscreen, and you deploy the throttle accordingly, the Spyder delivers a level of involvement and excitement – and a turn of pure speed – that really does take your breath away.

It’s torquey, too, so although the gearing is long in the first three ratios the engine can handle it. So at 3000rpm it feels strong; at 5000rpm it feels – and sounds – properly fast and furious; and between there and the 8000rpm red line it goes to another level again. One that no rival at this sort of money can deal with. Not that the Spyder has any bona fide open top rivals this side of £100k (and not many well beyond that, truth be told).

Price and rivals[/h2]Rivals? What rivals? At £73,405 the Spyder seems incredibly well priced given how much of a thoroughbred it is beneath the skin, or how quick it is in the real world. It’s hard to think of many open top cars that are as good-looking as this, either.

A Jaguar F-Type SVR convertible has more power and more straight line performance, theoretically, but is frankly nowhere beside the Spyder overall. The [link=https://www.evo.co.uk/audi/r8]Audi R8[/link] Spyder also has more go on paper but costs almost twice as much and is not as good a sports car as the Porsche. Like the GT4 on which it’s based, the Spyder sits aloft of the rest of them in a class of one. Nothing this side of six figures gets anywhere close.

Andrew,

I'm not in the market for a Spyder (more interested in a GT4) but - cost aside - for what it's worth I would think it premature to make a final decision based upon the ramblings of a number of hacks..!

I'm a great believer in 'try it before you buy it'; that way you can be pretty sure of making the right decision. I appreciate that it can be tricky to arrange with the GT cars but didn't 981 buyers get the opportunity to drive a car at the PEC before locking-down their spec?

Jeff

Andrew Killington said:
Nope, gave up my slot, did I make the right decision ? Who knows.

I guess the question is..... do you love your current car.

I certainly love my 981 Spyder and have enjoyed all 22k miles I've put on it.

It does everything I need, and I am looking forward to having it for many years to come.

On saying that, I'm fortunate enough to have a new GT4 in coming, so will be able to see how they compare.

the new cars too FAT !!! (even the 981 was a bit too fat ) to ever be called a Spyder imo and the fake roof on the 981 and 718 are stupid. it's a boxster roof with fake tails wtf !!

at 1495 it's 245KG more than mine !!! bit of a joke these new cars imo.

who knows what they really weigh as the new regs on weight are poop also.

All I know is mine with no AC, no radio, 1/2 tank fuel no roof and PCCB weighs 1250kg in real life, and that makes the car exciting to drive, the 981 was a lifestyle car :) and the new ones just too fat.

987.2 will never be repeated as a light weight driver car by Porsche.... :-(

shame all new cars since the 987.2 are a down grade in fun !

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back