Menu toggle

My 2019 718 Cayman GTS PDK

981 Cayman GTS PDK - Driving Impressions.

Enough of the technical data, it's what the 981 Cayman GTS is like to drive that is the main purpose of this review.

Sitting behind the wheel my first impressions are of being in very familiar territory. The 981 cabin is basically the same as the 718 apart from minor evolutionary tweaks, eg PCM screen, air vents, sport chrono clock position, steering wheel design, etc. Hamish's GTS has the full leather and red stitching option which gives the cabin a significant lift. The biggest difference immediately becomes apparent when turning the ignition key to fire up the glorious normally aspirated 3.4 litre flat-6. The engine acoustics are very much more apparent inside the 981 cabin compared to the 718. It makes little difference whether or not the sports exhaust button is activated. The evocative flat-six fills the cabin with mechanical sounds you would expect a Porsche to make. Once under way on the road the engine note continues to dominate the driving experience, even more so than I recall from my 987 Cayman R ownership. I selected Sport mode and manual gear shifting using the paddles for my first drive from Ballater to Braemar on the A93. Traffic was the usual mix of local, commercial, and tourist, but thankfully light density with lots of clear road sections to enjoy the GTS and get to know it better.

On the largely straight sections with only a few gentle curves, the 981 GTS rides straight and true on the Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres. In Sport mode the ride still has reasonable compliance for surface ripples and bumps, and the car feels pretty much the same firmness as my 718 in a similar mode. The main difference that became apparent on this first drive was with the steering. The 981 having a slower steering rack ratio, it takes a greater amount of steering wheel input to negotiate the tighter corners I encountered, compared to the 718. The steering also lacks the road feel of my 718. Whether this is due to my car having Power Steering Plus, lighter ceramic brakes, and maximised negative front geometry is a moot point, but Porsche have also done significant work on the steering between the two models, quite apart from fitting the 10% quicker steering rack.

On the road in Sport Plus mode the 981 GTS changes character into a snorting, rev blipping, hard riding machine more akin to a track day car experience. The ride is now very much firmer, and the engine mapping gives the throttle a more urgent response. Although best suited for track day use, Sport Plus mode works well enough on the 981 GTS provided the road surface is not too bumpy. The car now feels as if it is longing to be let loose off the leash and revved to red line. I did have an opportunity on one occasion during Sport Plus mode to overtake slower traffic on a clear straight section. The traffic ahead was held up by a 40mph camper van, and I paddle shifted down to 3rd gear preparing to overtake the convoy of three cars. Now, this is where the performance deficit compared to my 718 GTS hove into sharp focus. In retrospect, perhaps I should have selected the lower 2nd gear, bearing in mind the longer gearing of 981. Be that as it may, following the obligatory mirror, signal, manoeuvre, I floored the throttle at 45mph in 3rd gear, Sport Plus already engaged, and although the acceleration was more than adequate for a safe overtake it lacked the punch I have become used to in my 718 GTS. If I had selected 2nd gear for this overtake, the 981 GTS would have shot past the slower traffic in a crescendo of blaring revs as the rapidly approaching 7800rpm red line beckoned an upshift to 3rd gear. By which time I would have been far above the legal speed limit with the long 981 gearing. Being fair to the 981 GTS, I would have preferred more time to get acclimatised to returning to driving a normally aspirated Porsche. I am now well used to driving turbo cars, and my driving style has adapted accordingly having driven nothing else for the past 3 years. When you look at the comparative engine data stats, the 981 GTS torque band kicks-off with 380Nm at 4750rpm, compared to the 718 GTS pulling 430Nm from a lowly 2000rpm and staying flat until 5000rpm. It's in the everyday overtaking situations such as I have just described that the accessible performance difference of the 718 compared to the 981 falls into sharp focus. This is not intended as a criticism, more an illustration of the evolution of turbo engine technology as applied by Porsche on the 718. That said, the 981 GTS is very capable, comfortable, and satisfying car for any driving enthusiast to own. In normal driving conditions along flowing rural roads as featured in this review, there is nothing much to choose between the two cars from a driving perspective. Both cars corner exceptionally well, have superb handling, and provide more than adequate performance for the majority of road and traffic conditions. It is also important to remember that the 981 GTS provides improved fuel economy compared to a similar spec 718 GTS. On the road test mileage completed, the 981 GTS recored an average of 26 mpg, whereas the 718 GTS showed only 22 mpg.

A quick trawl through the OPC Porsche approved lists showed a variety of 2015/16 981 Cayman GTS PDK examples ranging between £52,000 and £56,000. The 2018/19 718 Cayman GTS PDK models ranged from £60,000 and £68,000. This proves how strong the residual values are for the 981 GTS. I would wager this trend is likely to continue for some time yet. If aural appreciation is important, then the 981 GTS option is a compelling one, and it saves you money........

Brian

PS. Hopefully, Hamish will offer his driving impressions of the 718 GTS PDK very soon.

Very interesting review Brian, and as another GTS driver I was scrutinising your every word with magnifying glasses!

As I have also had the chance to do the back to back last year with a new 718 GTS like your own against my 981 version, I was very eager to read what you had to say.

I actually agree with pretty much everything you wrote! The newer car does have a noticably faster rack and slightly improved feel & feedback, so that is a plus point. Mine still has the awful P Zero tyres on though and I fully expect to see some feel improvement when I upgrade to PS4's.

As regards your overtaking quandry, again I agree that you just have to drive the two cars in a different way and I too have made the same error in not changing down enough to explore revving it out to get the best overtaking acceleration, whereas the newer car uses its lower down torque to shove through.

as regards the engine character and sound, and the way it makes you feel, I am afraid that the new car just cannot compete in that respect and I am not a fan of the turbo engine as to me it sounds like a Subaru and maybe even makes the whole car feel like a fast Audi, rather than a Porsche... such is the price of 'progress', - but I will not be swapping anytime soon.

Thanks for the detailed and honest review, fascinating and reasuring to see your own impressions so similar to what I also experienced.

As you had to miss out the Lecht Ski centre road, here is mine there during our recent trip...😉

Now looking forward to Hamish's review of 718...👍🏻

I have now received the narrative report from Hamish on his driving impressions of my 718 Cayman GTS. The text is reproduced verbatim in his own words.

It is worth mentioning that Hamish drove my car on the day, in exactly the same manner as he normally drives his own. That is, in auto "D" mode without using the manual paddle shift facility.

I similarly, drove his car in manual shift using the paddles, with Sport mode selected most of the time.

Brian

Cayman 718 GTS PDK –v- Cayman 981 GTS PDK

Visually, first impressions are that the two models are quite similar - with the 718 being an update to the 981. The two models are of similar dimensions, the basic styling is very similar, and the boot space and cabin layout also.

First impressions of basic similarities disappears quite quickly when you start to drive the 718. The chassis and the whole driving experience are quite different in the 718. Important note – none of my following observations and opinions cover ‘sport plus’ mode on either model.

The 718 GTS engine has noticeably more torque than the 981 GTS – however, for me – this can only be best appreciated when the 718’s PDK box is in ‘sport’ and ‘manual’ mode. In normal ‘auto’ mode the 718 gearbox is usually sitting a couple of gears above my optimum (for "fuel economy" reasons) so when your right foot goes down there can be a noticeable hesitation while the 718 engine ‘spools up’ and the PDK box sorts things out.

No-way are things like the ‘turbo lag’ of old, but the turbo hesitation is there and it’s noticeable when you are used to the instant response of the 981’s flat six. By comparison, the 981’s PDK box in ‘auto’ mode also sits a couple of gears above my optimum, again for fuel economy reasons, but the instant auto box ‘kick-down’ is there when your right foot goes down.

So it’s one nil from me for the 981, why, because I don’t feel obliged to drive it in ‘sport’ and/or ‘manual’ mode all the time to get the best out of the car.

The 718 GTS steering, handling, and traction are all a small but noticeable step up from the 981. Turn in to corners is that little bit sharper in the 718 with good feedback through the steering wheel. The 718’s rear end is more poised when exiting a corner, and as a result traction out of corners is improved. Combine the 718’s traction with the greater torque of the turbo engine, and the 718 is that bit more poised along twisty A roads.

Cruising along straight roads the 718 GTS feels slightly more relaxed than the 981 does. It’s as though the 718 has a longer wheelbase (but I don’t think it does) so it must be down to some clever Porsche chassis engineering.

For the avoidance of doubt, the 981 GTS is a very competent car for cross country driving and long distance cruising, but the 718 GTS is a small step up.

So for me it’s a point to the 718 GTS. Why, because the steering, handling and traction are all a little bit better, and the three things combined make the 718 GTS a small but noticeable step up.

In conclusion: It’s a point each, so which car do I prefer? It has to be the 981 GTS for me, because it has a sprinkling of the ‘Porsche engineering fairy dust’ that seems to land on some but not all Porsches. Technically the 718 GTS with it’s 4 cylinder turbo is a superb bit of kit, but there is just something about the 981 GTS flat-6 that makes it special. Select the 981 GTS in Sport Plus mode and holy moly! To be fair I’m sure the 718 GTS will be the same.

Hamish

Thanks for an interesting and worthwhile comparison. I have been meaning to try a 718 GTS but am so happy with my 981 S and Spyder combo haven't got round to it. I use the S in the style of Hamish and suspect i would feel the same overall. But if there came a Boxster that could do the best of my S and 987 Spyder that would be very tempting. New Spyder wont be it though :(

Many thanks for an interesting and informative comparison chaps. Brian, I know you have significant experience driving different Caymans and I suspect Hamish the same, so your comments are valued by the Cayman fraternity on here.

When finally it arrives it'll be interesting to read the press reports on the new GT4 with its new flat-6 n/a engine and updated 718 chassis (albeit in significantly modified form).

Jeff

Thank you for your excellent reviews Brian and Hamish, well written.

I find it interesting that Brian drives his car in manual/sport while Hamish generally prefers auto/non-sport, I prefer to drive my 987.2 in auto/sport with paddle shift changing when required - it just goes to show there no right or wrong way.

Interesting to note that both reviewers preferred their own car :) I have a base 981 Cayman and definitely have to use 2nd gear to overtake in 50mph roads. Have driven the Cayman 718 S . Faster car but doesn't have the 'right ' noises. Interestingly my other half prefers the 718 noise. Women !

Good reviews from Brian and Hamish.

I don't have a GTS (nor will I anytime soon) and I have to say I would have either of these cars in a heartbeat.

Both cracking cars. I've got the glorious flat 6 soundtrack with a sports exhaust on my Boxster, but when I borrowed a 718 flat four turbo from Porsche Centre Nottingham whilst I had my car serviced I was amazed at the build quality and performance of the whole package, even if the sound wasn't what I was used to.

Planting your foot in a 718 PDK is an eye popping moment.

Enjoy your cars gents and safe driving [8D]

Many thanks to all who contributed comments on my recent comparative report on the 981 CGTS and 718 CGTS.

I really enjoyed driving the 981 GTS and reacquainting myself with the glorious flat-6 harmonics. I am no stranger to the normally aspirated flat-6, as 3 of my 5 Caymans had this power unit. What did take me unawares was the higher gearing of the 981 when executing the overtaking manoeuvre in 3rd gear. I now realise I should have down-shifted to 2nd gear for maximum acceleration when overtaking the 45 mph convoy. This illustrates the different characteristics between the two cars in everyday driving situations. When driving the 981 GTS for maximum overtaking progress, the engine needs to be revving at the upper end of the rev range, that is 5000rpm - 7500 rpm. The 718 GTS by contrast produces the strongest acceleration in the middle rev range, 3000rpm - 5500 rpm. While both cars are effective overtakers, the 718 GTS will execute the manoeuvre with a less dramatic effect on other road users compared to the 981 GTS. In these days of dash cams and police encouraging the reporting of "bad behaviour", it doesn't take much for a certain type of motorist to take great offence at being overtaken by a Porsche with the exhaust blaring and the revs soaring, despite the manoeuvre itself being entirely safe. The 718 GTS is a much less obtrusive overtaking tool in those sort of circumstances. It's quieter, less dramatic, but no less effective when overtaking slower traffic on rural roads.

Regarding the choice of driving styles between Hamish and myself, it is fair to say that I am probably in the minority choosing Sport mode and manual gear-shifting most of the time. (I was pleased to see Andrew T also referring to this as his preference). My reasoning behind driving like this is due to two factors. Firstly, I have been brought up with manual gear shifting, also my Abarth daily driver is a manual. Shifting gears and selecting the appropriate cog for the road conditions is an intuitive action for me. Secondly, my motorsport background has instilled within me the skills appreciating gear sense and engine performance characteristics, after I am fully acclimatised to the car of course! On occasion I do use the fully auto function, for example, when in built-up zones with high traffic densities, and boring intercity routes. When the open rural road beckons, and I am fortunate to live in an area where this is in abundance, I select Sport, manual shifting, and relish the joyous driving experience of manual gear shifting.

I am grateful to Hamish for agreeing to take part in this experiment and for arranging insurance cover for me to drive his beautiful 981 CGTS on the day. However we drive our cars, we both revel in the joys of owning two of the best handling, reasonably affordable sports coupes available today.

I shall close this episode with another couple of photos taken on the day.

Brian

Hamish's review also brilliant, thanks guys.[:D]

One final comment I would like to add: Looking at Brian's photos reminded me the older 981 GTS front end looks far more attractive / aggressive in my view, the newer car looks rather straight & plain around the chin?

Also similar issue at the back where the older car has those beautifully sculptured rear lights design (see below) whereas the newer design light is again plain, bland and basic looking? They even seem to look a little bit like some sort of aftermarket / Halfords offering!

I am not trying to knock the 718 but I do not understand the design philosophy here, as usually, the Porsche models seem more elegant and scuptured with every new revision, but they seemed to go in reverse this time?

Jedimaster65,

You'll know the saying, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".........

I think the 718 styling is a natural evolution of the 981 theme, and I'm not that bothered about whether or not it looks aggressive.

Both the 981 and 718 are fine looking cars, and I think the 718 reflects the core design trends currently adorning the 992 body sculpture.

Brian.

Hi Brian...

I understand what you mean, and I agree, the Cayman is still a great looking car & we are all entitled to our opinion, but you will no doubt also know the expression: "Change for changes sake"... Lol! 😬

They look to me like some cheapo Japanese aftermarket item...not helped by being so darkly smoked and not an improvement or good evolution.

...and it isn't just the Cayman either...I feel the new 911 rear end looks like a Panamera and not great to be honest...seriously ugly compared to 991 ! 🤢

Now that the long awaited 982 Cayman GT4 has been announced, I have no regrets in deciding to go for my 718 CGTS PDK. Last year, while contemplating moving on from my 718 CS, I sent letters expressing an interest in the forthcoming new GT4 to 3 OPC's in Scotland. Nothing has been heard from any of them since.

I was hoping of course, that Porsche would further develop the flat-4 turbo as the power unit of choice for the new GT4. Sadly that turned out to be a forlorn hope as the evidence from spy shots increasingly lent weight to a flat-6 normally aspirated engine being the preferred route. I very much regret that.

Anyway, all of that is academic, as the new GT4 starting at £75,348, is realistically going to be at the very least in the high £80,000's after a few options are added. Besides, there is no PDK alternative currently available, which may deter or at the very least defer, the decision of some prospective purchasers to place an order. I find the lack of PDK a strange omission, particularly as the launch blurb on the new GT4 bangs on about the car being designed specifically for race track use. It is a widely acclaimed fact that the PDK transmission is particularly suited to track use with its ultra-fast changes and shorter intermediate gear ratios. Why don't Porsche give the customer the option of a choice of transmissions? Is the GT car division so steeped in tradition, or is it another ploy to keep the Cayman subordinate to the 911?

For my touring purposes, including the terrain and type of roads constituting the vast majority of my annual mileage, the 718 GTS PDK is absolutely the perfect tool. The smooth power delivery, (the way I drive it that is), the punchy mid-range torque, and superb "planted" chassis dynamics, are ideally suited to the undulating, fast flowing, steep hills, and twisty mountain routes that are the norm in my own back yard. It is debatable whether the new GT4 would be in any way superior to my current car on such routes. For example, the torque figures quoted in Autocar for the 982 4.0 GT4 claim 310lbs ft between 5000rpm and 6800rpm. While these figures may be perfectly fine for the race track, in my experience of the public roads I use, I would say the GT4 would struggle to attain smooth and effective progress. Screaming past the legions of dash-cam adorned Volvo, Qashkai, Kia, SUV's at 6500rpm would send the irked overtaken drivers scurrying for their mobile phones to report the "outrageous and reckless" manoeuvre to the police. I've read accounts of just such behaviour already happening in the local press.

I am happy that the broad, powerful, torque band of my 718 GTS allows me to overtake slower rural road users in a more civilised, and less dramatic manner. In my case it's more of a "Whoosh" than a "scream". Unobtrusive, and none the less effective for that. I couldn't give two hoots about the number of cylinders or the manner of fuel/air induction. A bit of practice and experience sorts that out. It's the chassis dynamics and accessible, every-day driving power delivery that matter most to me. I fully accept that I am still very much in a minority with such opinions on this forum, and that other opinions are freely available and respected.

Now that "summer" has returned time for touring again........

Brian

Brian,

I would imagine that the principal reason PDK isn't available for the initial 718 GT4 batch is simply lack of resources in the GT group. Demand for any GT4 is bound to be very high given its protracted development and I expect Porsche marketing will have decided to get the manual transmission cars out there to gauge demand for the PDK from prospective customers and plan the necessary build-slots from Q3 2020, as well as giving additional development time for the semi-auto 'box.

I suspect that the CGTS makes a much better road car for your touring requirements, although we'll have to wait for the first tests in the coming weeks for the verdict on the CGT4.

I have to agree with your comment about dash-cam "warriors". Yet another example of the fall-out from the decline in traffic police patrols on our increasingly congested and dangerous roads I fear.

Jeff

Jeff,

All very pertinent points.

Like many, I am also eagerly awaiting the driving impressions of the 982 GT4.

Is it too much to hope for that the more enlightened magazine hacks will take a tour of Scotland's Highlands to appraise the car, including a session at Knockhill race circuit perhaps?

I'll not hold my breath.......

Brian

What was it that Walter Rohl said ... turbo & PDK for the road - NA & manual for the track.

Anyways, I`m sure that any GT car is special ... a shame that the few OPC`s I have encountered are nowhere near deserving of handling them.

Having seen & heard your car `in the flesh` Brian, I found it a step up from your 718CS ... particularly, the purposeful stance and improved exhaust note. The rear lights `in operation` are extremely effective / attractive [;)]

BJ Innes said:
My 718 CGTS on the A939 at Lecht, Aberdeenshire.

Brian

Looks absolutely fantastic Brian. [8D]

If and when I get round to making my way up into the highlands it would be great to see it in the metal.

Perfect spec and everything.

Thanks JMR.

If the positive experiences of others on this forum are anything to go by, you'll not be disappointed. The wonderful roads and stunning scenery of the north Highlands are absolutely perfect for enjoying Porsche driving at its best, and all within the speed limits. Currently the tourist season is in full swing and the popular scenic routes are very busy. By applying a little local knowledge and timing, there are still many miles of relatively empty roads to enjoy. To avoid the hoards of camper vans and caravans, best to explore the Highlands in the shoulder seasons of March, April, May, and September, October, November. Global warming has resulted in milder winters in the far north.

Changing the topic back to Cayman engines. If the current rumours are to be believed, I fail to see the logic of Porsche introducing a Cayman 6 cylinder to the range. With the recent launch of the 982 GT4 4.0 normally aspirated engine, do we really need another n/a flat-6 in the mix? Presumably Porsche would pitch this Cayman 6 somewhere between the current 718 GTS, (365bhp), and the 982 GT4, 420bhp). Apart from appeasing the flat-4 turbo-haters and n/a flat-6-ultras, I cannot for the life of me understand why Porsche would seriously consider implementing this idea. As has already been mentioned in the excellent video interview posted by Ralph on the GT4 forum thread, Porsche need to be mindful of the increasingly stringent group Co2 limits imposed by EU legislation. For that reason alone, we really don't need another higher Co2 emitting n/a flat-6 within the Cayman range. Besides, any new n/a Cayman 6 would produce less torque than the 718 GTS yet emit higher Co2 emissions. Have Porsche be so stung by the vitriolic criticism of the flat-4 turbo that they now want to scrap it? In my view that would be an absolute travesty. The latest development of the 2.5lt flat-4 turbo as fitted to my 2019 718 CGTS is a brilliant engine. Those who have followed my forum scribblings over the past few years, will already know that I took a calculated gamble in 2016 moving from the consecutive ownership of 3 - flat-6 Caymans to the 718 flat-4 turbo Cayman S. For the benefit of new readers to this thread, I shall reiterate what I said at the time. "Should this new flat 4 turbo 718 Cayman prove to be a retrograde step, I shall say so". In my writings I have always strived to be honest with my opinions and I stand by that. In the event, the 718 CS proved to be a superb driving machine, ideally suited to my needs and the type of roads driven. The logical natural progression for me was to upgrade to the 718 GTS.

If I were the Head of Development for the Cayman range, I would consolidate the extensive R&D and many millions of Euros already expended on the flat-4 turbo technology and introduce a re-born Cayman R. This would sit between the new 982 GT4 and the current 718 GTS. I would tweak the engine mapping to give somewhere around 385bhp and 450 Nm torque and offer the PDK gearbox as standard equipment. Strip off some weight and delete the luxury goodies, price it around £66k and limit the production numbers. Such as car would fly out of the showrooms destined to be a future classic of its time like its 987 predecessor.

One final point, the 2.5 turbo engine is not at all highly stressed in GTS form. I have yet to see a higher reading than 0.9 turbo Bar pressure on the boost gauge. By any standards this is low-pressure turbo boosting. In contrast, my Abarth 595 1.4 Competizione frequently records 1.75 Bar on its boost gauge. Now that is what I would call highly stressed. With further development the flat-4 turbo has a solid future, both as in independent power plant and as a potential hybrid supplement to electric propulsion. Please listen Porsche.

Brian

Like you Brian, GT4 and Spyder aside I find the mooted introduction of an F-6 n/a engine into the 718 mix somewhat puzzling for the same solid reasons you've put forward. I can only think that the business case for developing the new engine required building it in sufficient numbers which could not be met by GT4 and Spyder demand alone.

Jeff

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back