Menu toggle

New RMS Thread

I think I see what you mean. But I may have been misleading.

They are not going to fix the car. Just build it back up and pass it back to me on Friday....as it was but with yet another RMS fix. Then they will call me at some time in the future (probably an hour after I collect my car) and tell me how much
they want to fix it. If I agree then I guess this plan might be a good one.

But they have not yet come to a conclusion. For all I know they may in fact say bring your car in we got a new
engine FOC for you. But I very much doubt it. The cost of taking the engine/gearbox out and putting back is
not trivial so I expect that to get it fixed in futire they will want to bill me. And this is where i think they
will bill me for 50% of repair costs. Besides, the maths are clear enough: 5 RMS and an ovalled crank bore
hole = new/rebuilt engine. There's is no decision making required here. So if they were going to let me have
this FOC they would have by now said so. The fact that they are playing with me tells me they want me to
take the car back before they hit me with the shock of such a huge repair bill.

IMHO, I think I have done all that can be done now. Besides I am just fed up with it all. I think the best thing
to do next is just take it to an independent and have them fix the car up and then I will sell it and count my losses.
I can't be botherd with waiting any longer for PCGB or going to the mags, watchdog etc. It's gone on too long
and without doubt Porsche are and always will be the winners. I am the mug.
One thing is for certain. This is my 3rd and last Porsche ever.

I have re-read all this thread with .....horror. (I can't think of a better word). I've had 3 Porsches over the past 8 years, and am currently waiting for a new 997 in the new year. I'm just thinking , 'what would happen if this problem manifested itself in the new version?' How would I feel if my car was a lemon after spending £70K and P UK weren't interested or pontificated like they had over 'Scousers'.
I visited my local OPC yesterday and saw old 986/996 engines lying around the back of the workshops! Worrying! I also saw N4DAS - Mahen's Artic silver 996 sat there looking all forlorn with it's back end riding high - engineless! A sharp intake of breath will be taken when i hand over the folding. Am I doing the right thing? P UK better take notice.
GPM

Hi Bernie, not been in touch for a while, sorry to hear your story I know how you are feeling after my experiances this year the bloody thing was in and out like a yo yo with my OPC.
I was lucky that I did manage to get the RMS replaced under the used car warranty, as I asked the question on here a while ago Im not sure what to do regarding renewing the warranty with them as nearly all the bits have been replaced so far.
My thoughts are similar to yours sell the thing before it goes wrong and I cant afford to repair it.
thinking early 355 or new boxster for the same money on the basis that at least I get 2 years cover on it

Thoughts ??

ORIGINAL: tispkj

My thoughts are similar to yours sell the thing before it goes wrong and I cant afford to repair it.
thinking early 355 or new boxster for the same money on the basis that at least I get 2 years cover on it

Thoughts ??

Oh man, I just could not think of buying another Porsche right now. To be honest if i got handed one on a plate
I would sell it. I have just lost it with this whole affair. I am totally dissilusioned and disheartened by both the
product and the company. I am not a rich man, I just love Porsches. I am just a working class guy and don't own
or run any business. But my every earned and last penny has been spent on these cars and as we all know they
aint cheap. I am fully aware and accept that they are expensive to run but a 4 year old 996 with 40k on the clock
you wouldn't expect it needs a new engine and gearbox and even if you did you would expect the company to
back you up. Basically over the years I hocked myself up to own a Porsche and this 996 is my 3rd....my first was
in 1979. I class myself as a Loyal Porsche owner. But with this saga I have begun to hate them. I feel certain
that Dr. Porsche would be turning in his grave right now. I doubt very much I will ever return to own one again.

The irony is this, who ever I sell this car to is going to go through the same pain. Meanwhile Porsche AG are minting
the cash and could not give two flying f*cks if your car fell apart the day after your warranty expires.

ORIGINAL: graham m

I have re-read all this thread with .....horror. (I can't think of a better word). I've had 3 Porsches over the past 8 years, and am currently waiting for a new 997 in the new year. I'm just thinking , 'what would happen if this problem manifested itself in the new version?' How would I feel if my car was a lemon after spending £70K and P UK weren't interested or pontificated like they had over 'Scousers'.
I visited my local OPC yesterday and saw old 986/996 engines lying around the back of the workshops! Worrying! I also saw N4DAS - Mahen's Artic silver 996 sat there looking all forlorn with it's back end riding high - engineless! A sharp intake of breath will be taken when i hand over the folding. Am I doing the right thing? P UK better take notice.
GPM

Graham, maybe its just a bad time for me to respond but if I were you i would be doing everything in my power to get my deposit back right now. There is no way on earth I would be buying a 997 from them and be their guinee pig. If anything I would wait until they are at least two years old before taking a chance. At the very least I would get it in writing that should you suffer an engine failure or an RMS leak within the 1st 100,000 miles you want it fixed at no charge no matter what the repair bill is.

Oh and I would also get that letter to cover the gearbox too ;)

Sorry BERNY

Same as you in most respects, not loaded just daft enough to spend all my money on my hobby !!
Its funny I nearly bought a 355 a while back and was put off by the running costs of approx 700 a year so went for the cheap option of a boxster, had 3 of them with no probs but kept the miles low as used weekends only, then went for a used 1998 996 loads of silly things went wrong and to be honest the car was never right from day 1 hence they had it more than me this year, only good thing was that they paid for the RMS as a sorry for the agro, took loads of calls and eventually got PCGB on the case after the OPC I bought from said they would not pay for it or cover it under warranty.
only thing I can say to cheer you up is that I have had it back just over a month now and they are a great car but .................

Should you have to pay 700 quid a year for peace of mind with the warranty ?

That 355 looks cheaper by the day ........

Wishing you good luck Scouser.

As you can see, I'm not normally a poster but I've been following your ordeal on rennlist & funcarsonline for quite some time and this to wish you atb.

Scouser
This really is very worrying for us all.
I find it quite disappointing that Porsche GB or AG have not sorted out this whole worldwide mess yet. Its beginning to fester quite badly and it will impact on the image of the company and residuals for ALL Porsche's. We must stand together with you on this.
I am just wondering how many people at Reading are reading this thread (many of them are members of course) and maybe they are making some decisions on what is reflected here in copy. For example - if Scouser got the FOC engine - would it set precedence and open the floodgates.
PC both GB and AG need to face up to the fact that some 996 engines are defective and further delays in owning up to that is damaging the company's profile. That will impact the balance sheet in the end. Business's have peaks and troughs of success, and whilst they are now riding high on that success there will be a trough in the future and where will the diehard customers be then.
Fingers crossed for you, and I wish you all the very best in your endeavours.
If we can help - just sing out.

I'm reading this thread in horror having just bought into the whole porsche thing and I'm wondering how indicitive all the failures mentioned by folks on this forum are of reliability in general. I read yet another review of the new boxster today that included the standard quote "reliability is as you'd expect, no serious problems have been reported with the old model". I've seen this on many mainstream sites and it seems to be that the perception within the motoring press is that a porsche is practically bulletproof. I'm not so sure myself given that my dealer did say the I've got 20% chance of rms failure after 3 years when I brought up the subject.

Are poor souls like scouser part of a very small minority of owners or is Porsche GB's apparent approach of ignoring and denying faults working. I'd recommend that anyone who has had an rms failure contacts BBC watchdog and Top Gear and points them at the whole rms controversy on a site like this - especially since it would appear that folks in the US get a 'new' engine under Scouser's circumstances. It would seem to me that there's enough of you with rms failure to at least warrant a researcher asking Porsche GB a few pertinent questions and I'm sure the thought of watchdog doing a piece on poor porsche reliability and customer service might change some attitudes in high places.
There is also the Top Gear online survey that I think is still going on - again anyone with problems should do the survey with all the details. A poor showing in the survey might make the powers that be sit up and notice.

ORIGINAL: Scouser

I can't be botherd with waiting any longer for PCGB or going to the mags, watchdog etc. It's gone on too long
and without doubt Porsche are and always will be the winners. I am the mug.

Just want to appologise for this remark. After re-reading it, it sounds terribly condescending towards PCGB and Nic after all his and the clubs hard work. As you can imagine I am pretty low at the moment and I guess I am saying stuff I may regret later. What I meant to say is that I am so fed up with this whole affair that I can't be bothered with fighting it anymore. I did pursue it with BBC watchdog but have not heard back from them so I assume they are not interested in using it for their program. I think to get watchdog on to this we "all" and I mean every one of us must lodge a complaint with watchdog. This is the only way they will take notice and then maybe and only maybe they will take it on board. I was going to go to the mags too. I also have started the ball rolling with my solicitor but I have decided to drop the case. This bloody car has taken over my life and finances and is affecting my marriage. This last blow is the final straw for me. I simply can't afford to pursue a legal battle even if it meant I would win it in the end. Getting the car fixed is going to near bankrupt me so the best I can do now is get the RMS done, have the gearbox fixed at an independent then get rid it (if I can!) and set about trying to put my finances back in order. As I said I just can't be bothered with it anymore.

Adrian, your idea is a great idea. But I would write to PAG directly not your OPCs. One thing that we have learned from this thread is that the OPCs are NOT Porsche. They are just Franchises with the Porsche name. They have no connection to Porsche other than as a franchise outfit. This means they are accountable for their own service and sales. So you buy a car from an OPC and they become responsible for all costs associated with its warranty even if it's a brand new car and the engine blows up the second you take it out the door. If that was the case the OPC will of course request a replacement engine under warranty to Reading. But if for some reason Reading say no or Reading hold them up then you won't have a chance.

What has happeed to me is this, my car is a C16 import with full UK spec. Since it wasn't bought through the dealership, nobody is owning responsibility for it. My nearest OPC is Mann Island in Liverpool. I take it to them for service. They have been applying for good-will requests to reading for its RMS repairs. The 1st time I took it in they applied for good-will and Reading accepted the costs but asked me to pay £237 towards it. I did this of course but under protest. From then on, every other RMS replacement has been paid for by my OPC since they are the ones responsible for doing the job and they were
the ones who did the 1st replacement. After 4 RMSs they said they simply are not going to pay for any more and blamed it
on my gearbox. Reading said to me they instructed Mann Island to fix the RMS but they refused and there is not much more
they could do about it since Mann Island are only a franchise. After much pressure I finally got Reading to pay the bill to have it done (this is the curent RMS fix) based on the fact that I found out that Mann Island had not checked the bore tolerance with the mandrel tool. Mann Island have now established at last that a new engine is required. So they put the claim in to Reading. Of course Reading now have to decide if they will pay for the repairs or not. But as we all know this is unlikely.

I am telling you this because:

1) the OPC's are just the workers. They don't give two f*cks if your car falls apart out of warranty. They may put in for a good-will request but at the end of the day they either get paid by you or Porsche. They don't care either way. So writing a letter to them is a waste of time.

2) the good-will scheme is managed by a help-desk team in Reading (but for all I know they could be in India and probably will be soon;) ) who have little if any knowledge of the car's mechanics. They work off a crib sheet and are trained and marked on their performance based on their success in winning you over in response to your complaint or claim. They don't
give two f*cks about you or your car or your loyalty. They only care about winning you over.

3) I can't find any way of speaking to the "real" decision makers at Reading or PAG. But I did speak to Annett Barbara-wilke in Germany who is the worldwide service manager. But despite her seeming to be extremely applogetic about my car's problems she said that the ultimate decision is left with PUK. I explained everything in its gory detail to her including that I am a Loyal 3rd time Porsche owner. But it made no difference. I read this as "PAG don't give two f*cks" either.

4) PAG have really done their homework on this. They are entirely insulated from it all. They have built up a system in front of them that is unbreakable. A moat around their castle. Outside their castle they have distributors who are selling cars for them and pass back oodles of cash. Those distributors are driven by dealerships that make huge profits. Those dealerships are also taking a cut of this profit as well as being funded by their extortionatly expensive service and repair shops. In general everything works a treat. If a customer has a problem they go to the dealership. The dealer charges the customer or requests good-will from the distributor. The distributor calls the shots. Even if you bybass them and go directly to PAG they will only refer you back to your distributor. But then a real problem comes in like this RMS issue and the whole system is put on test. But in any case, the distributor is doing a great job for PAG and so PAG are insulated. What PAG don't realise is that outside the castle there is a big problem brewing.

The only way to win is to write your letters directly to PAG. Complain about PUK and their practices. Complain about the quality of the product. Tell them how unsatisfied you are. Bypass the OPCs and PUK entirely. We need to get to the heart and that is PAG. Stress your concern to PAG an nobody else. A flood of letters from us and a final big one from PCGB would make them stand up to this problem.

Anyway, I have had enought of it. I am tired, expired and broke. Time to hand my cards in. I wish you all the very best of luck with it all. I am all out.

Nic, I just wan to say I am most appreciated for all your hard work. Keep it going mate. I will send the survey back to you asap. If you need me in the future please email me and I will only be too glad to help out. For now, I can't wait to get my car back, get it fixed and get rid.

Cheers guys.

Jeez Berny, I am going to sh*t myself everytime I turn the blaaady key!!

Going to save my pennies (again) and see if I can swap up to a GT3 (or maybe a Mondeo??)

Just a thought or two....

BBC Watchdog will be laughing their heads off at the thought of a bunch of rich posers in their Porsches with a problem... imagine the general publics concern NOT.

Why don't we start a Bail Out Berny campaign to get the poor bloke's car, health and marriage sorted???

10,000 members each send £1.50 and we can sort his car out with a new engine and a divorce (for richer, for poorer - remember Berny??).

ORIGINAL: tim court

Jeez Berny, I am going to sh*t myself everytime I turn the blaaady key!!

Going to save my pennies (again) and see if I can swap up to a GT3 (or maybe a Mondeo??)

[:D] That's how it's been for me for the last year! I think they call it "The Porsche Experience".
I also think there is a whole new meaning to "There Is No Substitute". I think this refers to a quote from PUK in reference to an RMS plagued engine ha ha.

Just a thought but, how about some "Direct Action" by all of us PCGB members.

I would suggest a few banners and a load of cars to blockade Porsche Cars Reading.

JCB..[:-]

Can someone post on the forum a name and address (both snail & e -mail) to send letters to PUK & PAG so we can write letters to them as Scouser suggests.

Is the real problem that it was an import and that PUK and the OPC's have had no income from that car and probabley take the view that out of warranty goodwill claims should be the province of the original supplying dealer.

Just spoke to my OPC:

They have offered 50% on the cost of replacement engine and 50% on cost of replacement gearbox but not including fitting charges.....or VAT of course.

I haven't got complete figures yet but a fair guess is £4,700 for the engine, £3,300 for the gearbox, £1000 for fitting.
So all up I will get a new power train for about £9000 + VAT......call it £10,000 approx !!!

Problem I have with this is that the RMS may and probably will go again in the new engine.

Well, you will have a 2 year warranty on both, so that might help.

Personally I could not afford this (I can barely afford the car I have as is) so I understand totally your pain.

What can I say? 50% is better than nothing, but not what I would expect from a company with the reputation of Porsche.

I'm at a loss for words.

ORIGINAL: Cary Blackburn
Is the real problem that it was an import and that PUK and the OPC's have had no income from that car and probabley take the view that out of warranty goodwill claims should be the province of the original supplying dealer.

Yes I think this is the case. But the car has been serviced since new by the UK dealership and since PUK (Reading) are a wholly owned subsiduray of PAG it should make no difference since PAG have had income from the car in one way or another. These cars were and are all manufactured in the same place. It's a bit like this: if you bought your 996 Porsche in the UK and the engine blew up while you were driving it in Stuttgart should PUK foot the bill or PAG....and does it make any difference?

ORIGINAL: Mark Bennett

Well, you will have a 2 year warranty on both, so that might help.

Personally I could not afford this (I can barely afford the car I have as is) so I understand totally your pain.

What can I say? 50% is better than nothing, but not what I would expect from a company with the reputation of Porsche.

I'm at a loss for words.

Mark, yes £10,000 is completely off my scale. Hell even £5,000 is off my scale too.
But there is a possible way out for me....hopefully. My local independent Tech9 think they may be able to
fix the gearbox for less than a grand if they can salvage the required parts from a bunch of other
used gearboxes they have in stores. But of course they may not have the bits, in which case I am back
to square-one with it. But they do sound extremely optimistic and they are a great and very trustworthy
bunch of guys. I have used them for years with my other cars. In regards to the engine....well I will have
to think about this one. In retrospect, many if not most of us are driving round with suspect RMSs. I may
have to do the same. I.e., just live with it......until I sell it at least. The oil leak in my car is just weeping
with only maybe a single drip of oil on the garage floor per month. So hopefully it isn't that bad.
Some RMS problems are serious oil leaks and that would be a big worry.

Getting back to the original issue though....I am extremely dissapointed at the Porsche UK customer
service attitude towards this but although this is a PITA, the real issue at hand is the fact that Porsche AG
are manufacturing these cars with a latent manufacturing flaw/defect and they wont even acknowledge it.
This is where they should be made accountable. This is what needs to be taken to watchdog and the mags etc.
This is what we should all be complaining about and demanding a solution for wheather in or out of warranty.
For all we know, they may have deliberatly and very clevery designed this flaw into the engine on purpose
knowing that schmucks like me will end up pooring more cash their way to fix it. They can't loose!

ORIGINAL: Scouser

The oil leak in my car is just weeping with only maybe a single drip of oil on the garage floor per month. So hopefully it isn't that bad.

My OPC said it wasn't worth changing the RMS unless it was dripping constantly. If that helps...

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back