Menu toggle

Are Spyders Becoming Extinct At OPCs!

The Cayman and Spyder have so much in common but sounds like they are a very different car[&:] Would a Cayman with a 'SUNROOF' go someway to bringing back a little bit of the Spyder magic Rob?[;)]

Went to PC Cambridge yesterday - Lets hope its a great weekend for Porsche at Le Mans. Our Porsche Centre Cambridge will be open today 10am - 9pm and Sunday 9am - 4pm For a specially themed Le Mans weekend. For members who have pre booked the centre will be offering refreshments guided tours of the Centre and some pro drives. Forgot to mention the race, no doubt live on a large screen. Who knows the refreshments could turn to Champagne on Sunday afternoon. I took a look at the Spyder they have for sale. Compared to the rest of the market this look excellent value at just under £40K and has all the right bit (for me) Of the current offerings I think this will be first to go! --------------------------------- Porsche Boxster Spyder, £ 39,900 With 2 Years of Porsche Approved Warranty Save vehicle Car data Displacement: 3,400 cc Power Output: 310 HP Drivetrain: 2-WD Transmission: Manual Fuel: Petrol Colour: Basalt Black Metallic Colour (interior): Black leatherette interior with sports seats leather Location of the car: Porsche Centre Cambridge Vehicle Ident Number: WP0ZZZ98ZBS740146 Mileage: 6,799 m Registration Year: 04/10 Consumption - urban: 14.2 l/100km (19.9 mpg) Consumption - extra urban: 7.1 l/100km (39.8 mpg) Consumption combined: 9.7 l/100 km (29.1 mpg) CO2-Emissions combined: 221 g Price: £ 39,900 Equipment 19-inch Boxster Spyder Wheel 6-speed manual transmission Bi-Xenon lighting system with dynamic cornering lights Floor mats Fully automatic climate control Heated seats ParkAssist (rear) Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including navigation module Roll-over bar in exterior colour Sound Package Plus including CD storage Sport Chrono Package Plus Sport shifter Sports exhaust system Sports seats Telephone module for PCM Universal audio interface Wheel centre set

New page new pic - PC Cambridge Spyder as above - for sale.
WP0ZZZ98ZBS740146_2_zps4a431b6f.jpg

ORIGINAL: jdpef356 Went to PC Cambridge yesterday - Lets hope its a great weekend for Porsche at Le Mans. Our Porsche Centre Cambridge will be open today 10am - 9pm and Sunday 9am - 4pm For a specially themed Le Mans weekend. For members who have pre booked the centre will be offering refreshments guided tours of the Centre and some pro drives. Forgot to mention the race, no doubt live on a large screen. Who knows the refreshments could turn to Champagne on Sunday afternoon. I took a look at the Spyder they have for sale. Compared to the rest of the market this look excellent value at just under £40K and has all the right bit (for me) Of the current offerings I think this will be first to go! ---------------------------------
Anyone looking to sell now Kennie's car has been bought they are looking for fresh Spyders[:D][:D] JUST SOLD SIMILAR REQUIRED Boxster Spyder PDK (2011) For sale from 911 Virgin.com, in Bucks , United Kingdom £41,995 Description JUST SOLD SIMILAR REQUIRED Boxster Spyder PDK 3.4 DFI Engine with Paddle shift gear selection, Sports Chrono + and Launch Control. First registered 10/01/2011. Finished in Black with Black full leather. Porsche Main Agent Service history from new. Serviced at 6780 miles by Porsche Centre Edinburgh. Presented in Immaculate Condition throughout. A Porsche Regional Event Concours winning car with unmarked wheels, interior and bodywork. Benefitting from the Balance of an extended Porsche Warranty through until January 2016. (Fully transferable as the car is being sold on behalf of its owner). MOT through until January 2015, with road fund license through until November 2014. Unmarked Carrera Sport alloys painted black, PDK 7 speed double clutch transmission with paddle gear change, Sports Chrono Package + and launch Control, Carbon backed light weight folding bucket seats, full leather package extending to dashboard and doorcards, PCM 3.0 touch screen Satellite Navigation with Bluetooth and USB / Ipod connectivity, PSE (Porsche Switchable Sports Exhaust), Adaptive Dynamic Xenon headlights, red dials, guards red seat belts, body coloured centre tunnel, PSM (Porsche Stability Management), driver/passenger/side airbags, ABS, power steering, remote central locking, Thatcham Category 1 alarm/immobiliser and subscription based VTS Tracker security.
porsche-boxster-987-05-12-spyder-pdk-S1221386-1.jpg

ORIGINAL: spyderwhite ok here goes did the driving experience with porsche at opc today which was back to back driving pdk v manual for an hour.boxster 2.7 manual pasm on 20 wheels and pdk caymanS on pasm 20 wheels.both cars suspension felt soft/unfocused even in sport mode compared to the spyder and even more limo like but imho give me na suspension any day of the week.my first time with pdk is yes its smooth and quick but it just does not do it for me and i would argue a pdk 981s cayman is no quicker than my manual spyder.after driving the cars then driving my spyder my car felt more agressive and more urgent more alive and even felt more torquey and a proper drivers car.on to the steering yes its (i cannot find the right words i am no journo)but i could have been driving an audi/vw.what i will say if one is looking for an everyday car the 2.7 with a manual gearbox 18/19 wheels and na suspension would be sweet..so for now there is no car in the current porsche line up that will tempt me from the spyder sorry rob k i would ask for your spyder back its one of porsches finest hours
Similar first impressions to my own. The biggest difference for me is the lack of communication about the grip you have at the front wheels and the Honda like, light power-steering feel is a major factor in that. They Spyder let's you know how much the tyres are biting and so you naturally drive faster, being at one with the car - the car feels 'underneath' you and you feel connected to all 4 corners. For me the 2.7 was very forgettable. That wasn't helped by the chassis being so good that even it didn't want to wake up at those performance levels. But take a few more, many more drives of PDK before writing it off... Also remember how great the tuning of the Spyder and R chassis is. As you say, one of Porsche's finest hours. But if a 981, or even 987 drove like that as standard, not many people would buy one for the level of use a standard Boxster or Cayman typically gets. The Spyder's steering is so sharp that as the cliche on here says, if you sneeze you will change lanes. The suspension is so communicative that the cliche on here is that if you ran over a coin it could tell you whether it's heads or tails (I think RobK came up with that good one [:)] ). That is great for spirited driving but the majority of boxster and cayman buyers would turn away for something more relaxing for daily use. It's a bit like comparing a Carrera with a GT3 is what I realised. Same body/chassis but very different cars set up for different purposes. I think the best comparison would be with the 981 Sport Chassis fitted, but I like you have not had access to that and have chosen the Spyder every time, though it's not quite comparing apples with apples. But, take a few more 981 tests drives. It's amazing how they have made a car so pliant, handle so well. Push and push and the car is composed and the grip is there, it's just not telling you about it in advance and giving you the instant confidence that the Spyder does (my new ride feels a bit like that after coming from the Spyder, but no where near as ambigous as the 981 as the steering is more weighty and feedy-backy). The Spyder is without doubt more enjoyable to drive, but I reckon the 981 (let's face it, Porsche will have spent most of the development ££ millions on driving ability) is just as capable, if not more capable. But I appreciate that doesn't translate into a particular individual's enjoyment and desire. The first person to do a 981 Sport Chassis on here will be much appreciated!! EDITED

This is all I could find to answer your Sport Chassis question and being a very early example and short test probably worth taking with a pinch of salt but for today this is the only answer [:-]
OjyMy.jpg

I do the VIP GTS day Tuesday, let's hope one has the sports chassis. Driven the normal cars may times Boxster and cayman, just need to try a x73 981

ORIGINAL: rob.kellock It is completely ridiculous and put me off Caymen for years. Jaguar have the pricing better with the F type. Cayman remains the only car I can think of where the convertible is cheaper than the hard top.
Never realised that. Boxster must cost more to produce too.

the 981 Boxster is the best all round sports car today to buy, has been for ages. with the roof now fast/double skinned/quite and now does not even have a manual button to clip in (full auto), is there any point owning a 981 Cayman now ? I am a coupe man but with the 981 would really have to think hard if buying new that the Boxster is the better buy/car. shame they give the Cayman a bit more torque and bhp to keep it just that bit ahead to warrant the extra price.

ORIGINAL: jdpef356
ORIGINAL: flat6 P.S. daro, the same question can be asked of the Spyder. It too can be very fast our roads. Forget straight lines for a mo. If you take the Spyder on a twisty B road and brake as late into corners as you dare (and the lightweight Spyder is mighty under braking) you will be carrying serious speed into that corner and it will keep you busy carrying that through the corner; the engine revs at that speed will keep the engine on song and it'll blat you out of that corner. The difference with the turbo may be that you might enter the corner fast by accident if you're not keeping up with the car whereas you may have to be more daring in the Spyder but that is down to the driver to get the most out of the Spyder and both can generate speeds that can be deemed unnecessary to get around a British road. Straight line speed isn't that amusing for me whereas acceleration, braking and having to steer quickly is and in the right environment the Spyder is no slouch and will keep you busy if you drive it how it can be driven. Speaking of acceleration, it was amusing that the turbo accelerated so hard that when it dislodged my phone from the cubby hole in the centre console, whilst I expected to find it on the floor in the passenger footwell, it was actually collected by the passenger seat! I guess you could say it accelerated quicker than the acceralation from gravity could act on the phone to take it to the floor[:D]
Glad to see you are enjoying the new car flat6. Great summary of changeover to date. I recall my first 911 a 3.2 80's Targa. I pushed it on the same bends on a stretch of 'B' road ever increasing the speed until one day I over cooked it and the back came round. Rather a different drive than your Turbo but none the less not the thing you want to happen - at least it told me where the limit was! Today, I can get just as much fun running the 'Old Gal' my 356 on a a twisty B road in the dusk. Pick a B road with high hedges or banks and it will increase the feeling of speed. Great fun in any car![:)] Well as most readers know I'm not that fastest, however I do like to push along a little in the right place. ' A' roads in the UK are very restricted and the fun for me is at roundabouts. As a general rule you will not find speed cameras leading into or out of a roundabout. The only other thing you need is for there to be good visibility of any traffic approaching as the same time as you are. Quite often when driving the Spyder a quick glance in the mirror just before a roundabout will reveal someone on your bumper. A quick glance as you exit the roundabout usually show the other driver sawing away trying not to hit the kerb! Another glance when you are a couple of hundred yards up the road shows them to be well back, they wont be following you into the next roundabout.[:-] Lets hope its a great weekend for Porsche at Le Mans. Our Porsche Centre Cambridge will be open today 10am - 9pm and Sunday 9am - 4pm For a specially themed Le Mans weekend. For members who have pre booked the centre will be offering refreshments guided tours of the Centre and some pro drives. Forgot to mention the race, no doubt live on a large screen. Who knows the refreshments could turn to Champagne on Sunday afternoon. I might just put in an appearance or two finding my way to the Centre via a 'B' roads[:D][;)] Enjoy your cars and the weekend!
Thanks John. I'm dreading losing control in a 911. Though I think they've worked their magic over the years to defy physics and make it more prone to understeer. I think that's why as the power levels go up through the models, the rear tyres get wider whilst the front barely do, if at all. Maybe there's more reason I should track this one to learn, than with the mid-engined cars, but dont enjoy track driving as much as B road.

ORIGINAL: MrDemon I do the VIP GTS day Tuesday, let's hope one has the sports chassis. Driven the normal cars may times Boxster and cayman, just need to try a x73 981
I am doing that Tuesday July 8th[:D] This could be the moment you finally can see the benefit of a PDK for that extra speed on a tight twisty circuit[;)] Leave the cheque book at home we can't afford to lose another Spyderman this year

ORIGINAL: MrDemon shame they give the Cayman a bit more torque and bhp to keep it just that bit ahead to warrant the extra price.
Can you feel this on the roads today! I doubt it and with the roof off and PSE on you could be in a 2.7 and the sensation of speed would be greater than any tin top Porsche "S" IMO[8D]
Boxster_981_4.jpg

It's unusual that the Boxster is not a compromised afterthought by cutting the roof off a coupe & reapplying compensating stiffness but subsequently adding weight. Yet still, the coupe is seen as superior so they gave it a different name, reserve a few extra HP for it and also a higher price tag. I don't mind all that but the HP difference should be more significant to justify it. I think if they introduce the rumoured hotter, rawer Cayman, there won't be an equivalent Boxster (personally I don't think they'll name it GT4 after a racing class unless they're going to race it). Porsche's heritage is in racing, so I think you will never see their hottest cars in convertible form like other marques. Imagine a GT3 RS cabriolet, no. 911 Speedster, yes. You'll have to go to the aftermarket and get one of these abominations[:D]
DSC_8469.jpg
RWB-Porsche-911-Rauh-Welt-Begriff-993-convertible-in-white-spearmint-rhino-front-view.jpg
Also, careful what you wish for. If they ever did level the pricing, it would be the Boxster's price that goes up, not the Cayman's that comes down.[:mad:][;)]

ORIGINAL: daro911 This is all I could find to answer your Sport Chassis question and being a very early example and short test probably worth taking with a pinch of salt but for today this is the only answer [:-]
OjyMy.jpg
Good post daro. I reckon than option would make more difference to the 981 than anything else offered under the GTS package, even more than the extra GTS bhp.

ORIGINAL: MrDemon with the roof now fast/double skinned/quite and now does not even have a manual button to clip in (full auto), is there any point owning a 981 Cayman now ?
I used to think that. Whilst purely subjective, I think the new Cayman looks the business and better than its convertible sibling. Once inside it is much less claustrophobic / roomier feeling because of the hatch back. It is also a lot stiffer than a Spyder although so is a 981 Boxster. I bought mine to put miles on and it's a better car for me in that respect. The ride quality is astonishing given the available performance. Going round Anglesey, MrD's comment to me was "it's all a bit too easy isn't it?" which was bang on the money, and suits me fine most of the time.

ORIGINAL: daro911
ORIGINAL: MrDemon I do the VIP GTS day Tuesday, let's hope one has the sports chassis. Driven the normal cars may times Boxster and cayman, just need to try a x73 981
I am doing that Tuesday July 8th[:D] This could be the moment you finally can see the benefit of a PDK for that extra speed on a tight twisty circuit[;)] Leave the cheque book at home we can't afford to lose another Spyderman this year
Nope did the pec in PDK cars last time, I hated it, only buttons back then and I changed the wrong way every time, Awefull car with the buttons, Awefull in normal mode and Awefull in sports plus mode. I wish it had more modes like the top end m3's do ie 7 modes each one adding 1k revs to the shift point. Hope the gt4 is the 3.8 400bhp+ NA lump and PDK-s from the gt3. They need a new sports car the 911 only wins LE mans because they keep going lol the vantage and 458 are just faster cars now. If the gt4 is not 100% how I want it you may well see me selling my Porsches and buying a mp12c.

Yeah the Cayman cabin is much better in terms of being much less claustrophobic. Only daro can counter that as he never runs with roof up[:)] At our club night this week it was the 'Who's car would you like to go home in' competition. We had pretty much every flavour of old and new in the car park. The winner was a 991 50th anniversary and 2nd was a 981 Cayman S. 3rd was a 930 turbo.

ORIGINAL: MrDemon I am doing that Tuesday July 8th[:D] This could be the moment you finally can see the benefit of a PDK for that extra speed on a tight twisty circuit[;)] Leave the cheque book at home we can't afford to lose another Spyderman this year
[/quote] Should you be unfortunate enough to have to suffer another PDK session and double bad luck no flappy paddles again[:eek:]I believe the buttons mimick the stick ie push forward to change up and pull back to change down. Having paddles I am taking a bit of a guess on that's how they work

Which is the wrong way round :-( As you brake you want to push forward, as you gain speed you want to pull back. Like a race car :) If I get PDK it will just be used in sports plus and I will have to wait for it to kick down after the corner !!! The thing I noticed about robs car, was a: the ease of just driving it round the track, ie nothing to do, seemed dull to me. , no over steer, no gear change, just steer point and brake. b: it changes down gear after the corner. In a manual you want to be in the right gear before the bend, PDK of course does not know there is a bend coming, so has to make up it's mind later. Bit shit really :) Then people say use manual mode , in which case just buy the manual ! And save the 30kg's When I have loan cars, I let the car change up, but I chance down , the biggest issue for me is the car not changing down in time, but then no way it will ever do that.

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back