Menu toggle

Are Spyders Becoming Extinct At OPCs!

ORIGINAL: jayxx83 Electric tensioner looks utterly pointless. Should have kept the two piece design as you have to get out anyway!
This is a lot less faffing than the 2 piece design, can be done up or down in well under half the time, nothing to have to lift off the car and later lift out of the boot and finally car not restricted to 125 mph when in closed option. Obviously when we get to see some test reports I think it would be fair to assume the wind noise suffered in the 987 at motorway speeds will be a thing of the past too [8D] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ihVjJGynHw
16835781599_7b81e47a58_b.jpg

Looking at the video again, how do you think it will be possible to get to the rear boot area with the hood up? I can't see how this is possible without dis attaching the buttresses every time?

ORIGINAL: Steve Brown Looking at the video again, how do you think it will be possible to get to the rear boot area with the hood up? I can't see how this is possible without dis attaching the buttresses every time?
I think you are correct so better keep the front boot clear of any unnecessary clutter [:D]

I still think the cars in no mans land. the roof, well you still have to get out and walk round both sides and open the boot to put it away. you cannot take the roof off you cannot run 1/2 a roof which I know a few do, and the rare times I put mine on I do the same. And it looks like no boot access if roof on ! when I have loan Boxsters there is some thing nice about putting the roof down while moving, or if the sun pops out at the next set of lights. So taking this in mind you prob will have to spec air con adding more weight, remember it weighs more than the old one and also more again if you leave the older roof at home. So imo it's not a daily (no PDK either), so then is it a toy ? sad to say , NO, it's not driver focus enough to be a toy, people say the 981 has grown up but who wants grown up in a toy ? It weighs more, the steering feel will be way worse, nothing can be done about that, the brakes are always over servo in the 981 and the inside is Audi like. It's just not focused enough for a toy either Is it a track car, well that's easy NO, the GT4 is that, the Spyder has no adjustments to allow better track use. I think some one would be mad to sell a 987.2 Spyder to get into one, it does not even look as nice at the rear ie the humps and lets face it we all buy into the humps and the 981's are not as nice as the 987.2's As a focused daily I think I would take a GTS with x73, Buckets and have a electric roof, as a fun toy I would keep the 987.2 Spyder and be £20k better off in my pocket ! Last that 3.8, again the car weighs more, and I for one have never thought to myself, do you know what , this Spyder needs 370BHp. (you can tune the 987.2 to that anyway and with shorter speeds in gear the 987.2 will prob be just as fast) And last that Manual remember the 981 with 20" wheels will do about 85mph in 2nd gear, so if you like changing gear you won't be needing to do that much either. I love the front 3/4 view, but as a car to own it's lacking as a daily and lacking as a toy. imo it should have really gone Audi r8 cab roof and PDK it would have been a stunner as a daily then. Don't sell up guys, this rear end is an all time classic
donny2.jpg
this one is NOT, and in my eyes a bit ugly and no smooth lines
981-spyder-13-copyright-porsche-downloaded-from-stuttcars_com.jpg

D, seriously how many miles did you drive to work out if it is not any good on the road or track? At the end of the day, the Speedster / Spyders have been low volume cars for those that wanted something different from the regular model, ultimately driving dynamics are secondary to many (not all!) owners. An recent Autocar test on the new TT , 235! & Cayman 981, where they praise the progress Audi has made with the TT, the 981 platform still wins on driving dynamics and fun. That's probably good enough for most potential buyers. The new Spyder is more likely to lose buyers over the manual only box rather than how it actually drives.... It is a niche product, as are all of the multiple 2000+ unit halo cars Porsche is consistently producing.

I wonder why Tt's and m235s are tested against Porsches. Price points may be similar, but the whole driving concept is night and day. Tt's are way to soft and have zero driver involvement. Driven a fair few and really cannot see the appeal. M235i is a practical saloon for those who have moved on from hot hatches. Porsches for me are about driver involvement, not outright speed.

How did you reach all these downbeat conclusions before anyone anywhere has read a single factual road test review! Can only hope your gloomy predictions are as accurate as the full electric roof one [;)] In meantime on back of what you have shone a light on - anyone want my place in the queue before I ask for my deposit refund :ROFLMAO: "that 3.8, again the car weighs more, and I for one have never thought to myself, do you know what , this Spyder needs 370BHp. (you can tune the 987.2 to that anyway and with shorter speeds in gear the 987.2 will prob be just as fast) And last that Manual remember the 981 with 20" wheels will do about 85mph in 2nd gear, so if you like changing gear you won't be needing to do that much either." Mr D you will find both of these points raised apply to your fabulous Cayman R and the gear ratios to your GT4[&o] http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/porsche-cayman-gt4-review-first-drive-2015-03-09 "One drawback to the gearbox though - those Cayman GTS ratios are too long for the GT4."
specimen-us-5000-bill.jpg

I am now keeping my R just in case, and people will pay 100k for a GT4 so for me it is a no risk buy. All the above is for "me" my opinion , it lacks for me as a daily and for me as a toy. as for feed back, I had a 981 2 weeks ago the steering in my new Ford ST is better and that cost me £155 a month and is a hoot you could say all the car any one ever needs full stop :) I have driven the GTS it's also lacking big style for me over my R to a point I could never buy one. Porsche is not really about driver involvement, it's about making money and selling the main stream cars in big numbers. I would even say a mk3 TT has more feedback than a basic 2.7 981 which would be the less money ! My toy cars have been 2 x Lotus, 1 x Noble and the Spyder while my dailys are CLS, GT3's , R etc my daily is what most have for a toy, my toy has to be more hardcore fun. So I am just saying for me the 981 Spyder does not fit in my daily fleet and not in my toy fleet, it's a nice car and as I said would have been a stunner with electric roof and PDK, in it's current form, it's not a car I would want.

Can't believe you've never felt the 987 would benefit from more power, most track days have left me feeling that but typically I've been chasing down a GT3RS. I think most of the points you make are minor ones for 90% of the target market, but rightly so you're judging from your viewpoint. I love the analogue feel to the 987 and that is what concerns me most about changing, however to get your hands on the only Boxster likely to have the 3.8 engine that still stays true to the lightweight concept (lighter than the GT4) is an opportunity I'm believing is too good to miss. As to the question of whether the Spyder is a track car, when you get your GT4 and I have my 981 Spyder let's see which car can be pedalled the quickest [;)]

every car on track wants for more power, I went in a 918 the other day and that has enough lol, a GT3 still has you wanting imo. weight is the same, just good marketing quoting weight with air con for one and with out for the other ;-) As you can pedal well, and I don't have the balls these days you might get me for 2 laps, but when the outers of your tyres have gone, i'll drive straight past you ;-p For me my Spyder is how a car drives, that's key, it had to have the mods I have done to it to not kill tyres, the 981 will have to have GT4 LCA to even work on track if you pedal fast. it just so happens my Spyder is also 360bhp now just because I can, so instead of my GT4 vs your 981 SPyder, more interesting would be my Spyder vs your stock 981 spyder. See you at Donny :) I don't mind being slower as my balls must have shrunk lol. again I think you might pull 1/2 a lap after 2 laps but then I think I would catch you back up and by lap 6 get past and pull away lol. it's all well and good quoting a 7,48 ring time on a flowing ring lap by Porsche , but at Donny or cadwell the cars got to be dialed in to corner lap after lap and with -1 front camber the only thing going to happen is hot outters and a under steering mess after a few laps.

I think the new humps with the squared edge to match the new edgy 981 front & rear wings work perfectly just like the rounded 987 wings needed the rounded humps[:)]
981-spyder-13-copyright-porsche-downloaded-from-stuttcars_com.jpg

well it's all personal, I never liked the 981 design, and I don't like the GT4 that much from a design point, just buying it to have a 3.8 Cayman, like Darrell is buying a Spyder to have a 3.8 Spyder. but after 6 months you get used to the 40bhp and it means nothing in the real world, what it might mean is yes a Cayman GT4 or SPyder might keep with 997 GT3 on track now. but on the road the 85mph 2nd gear and faster car might be like the same reason I ditched my GT3 and just be frustrating on the road.

I have to admit I'd have a GT4 before a Spyder if I had the choice as it's from the GT stable which which gives it's some significant advantages. I don't expect the Spyder to command the same re-sale values of a GT4 (even with a similar start point) when the time comes to sell but given the production versus demand in the first couple of years it should make it cheap motoring - only 3 cars this year for my OPC and they had 33 LOIs. But unfortunately I was behind the curve on getting my interest registered for a GT4 but front of the queue for the Spyder and reality is I will do most of my 981 Spyder driving on road not track - it's one thing thrashing a £15k Caterham to it's limits and another one doing the same to a £65k Spyder - so the Spyder should be a pleasurable ownership experience. It's just difficult coming to terms with breaking my strong emotional attachment to the 987.........anyone want to give me £50k for it but promise to sell me it back if I don't like the 981?

P
ORIGINAL: MrDemon I still think the cars in no mans land. the roof, well you still have to get out and walk round both sides and open the boot to put it away. you cannot take the roof off you cannot run 1/2 a roof which I know a few do, and the rare times I put mine on I do the same. And it looks like no boot access if roof on ! when I have loan Boxsters there is some thing nice about putting the roof down while moving, or if the sun pops out at the next set of lights. So taking this in mind you prob will have to spec air con adding more weight, remember it weighs more than the old one and also more again if you leave the older roof at home. So imo it's not a daily (no PDK either), so then is it a toy ? sad to say , NO, it's not driver focus enough to be a toy, people say the 981 has grown up but who wants grown up in a toy ? It weighs more, the steering feel will be way worse, nothing can be done about that, the brakes are always over servo in the 981 and the inside is Audi like. It's just not focused enough for a toy either Is it a track car, well that's easy NO, the GT4 is that, the Spyder has no adjustments to allow better track use. I think some one would be mad to sell a 987.2 Spyder to get into one, it does not even look as nice at the rear ie the humps and lets face it we all buy into the humps and the 981's are not as nice as the 987.2's As a focused daily I think I would take a GTS with x73, Buckets and have a electric roof, as a fun toy I would keep the 987.2 Spyder and be £20k better off in my pocket ! Last that 3.8, again the car weighs more, and I for one have never thought to myself, do you know what , this Spyder needs 370BHp. (you can tune the 987.2 to that anyway and with shorter speeds in gear the 987.2 will prob be just as fast) And last that Manual remember the 981 with 20" wheels will do about 85mph in 2nd gear, so if you like changing gear you won't be needing to do that much either.
What a load of cr$p!what is the difference between the gt4 and the 981 SPYDER apart from the roof! The only real difference is the suspension/aero and for £3k you could give the spyder better suspension! So saying to 987 SPYDER owners not worth changing to a new one is also like saying why sell the CR for a gt4 Is the gt4 a real Motorsport car in the way gt3 is ?the answer is no it has no Motorsport engine thus it is no more a Motorsport car than a CR with sorted suspension and a bit of aero. IMHO because the spyder has the passive suspension it may be more sort after as a weekend TOY over the more track focused Gt4,plus it has the added bonus of top down motoring Would you have gone the spyder route if no gt4 I think you might but since you are getting a gt4 you are rubbishing the new spyder !

ORIGINAL: DarrellWilson I have to admit I'd have a GT4 before a Spyder if I had the choice as it's from the GT stable which which gives it's some significant advantages. I don't expect the Spyder to command the same re-sale values of a GT4 (even with a similar start point) when the time comes to sell but given the production versus demand in the first couple of years it should make it cheap motoring - only 3 cars this year for my OPC and they had 33 LOIs. But unfortunately I was behind the curve on getting my interest registered for a GT4 but front of the queue for the Spyder and reality is I will do most of my 981 Spyder driving on road not track - it's one thing thrashing a £15k Caterham to it's limits and another one doing the same to a £65k Spyder - so the Spyder should be a pleasurable ownership experience. It's just difficult coming to terms with breaking my strong emotional attachment to the 987.........anyone want to give me £50k for it but promise to sell me it back if I don't like the 981?
Hi Darrell like you I just missed out on aGT4 and have been offered a spyder which my large dealership is only getting 2 but 5 Gt4s but the more I think about it for someone who doesn't do track days the spyder will be the better car!as for future value I think the spyder will hold its own and may match the gt4 (see reasons in last post) Also the spyder is being built in less numbers the last n/a Boxster whereas the gt4 will be improved upon and may become a proper GT Motorsport car [:D]

ORIGINAL: spyderwhite P
ORIGINAL: MrDemon I still think the cars in no mans land. the roof, well you still have to get out and walk round both sides and open the boot to put it away. you cannot take the roof off you cannot run 1/2 a roof which I know a few do, and the rare times I put mine on I do the same. And it looks like no boot access if roof on ! when I have loan Boxsters there is some thing nice about putting the roof down while moving, or if the sun pops out at the next set of lights. So taking this in mind you prob will have to spec air con adding more weight, remember it weighs more than the old one and also more again if you leave the older roof at home. So imo it's not a daily (no PDK either), so then is it a toy ? sad to say , NO, it's not driver focus enough to be a toy, people say the 981 has grown up but who wants grown up in a toy ? It weighs more, the steering feel will be way worse, nothing can be done about that, the brakes are always over servo in the 981 and the inside is Audi like. It's just not focused enough for a toy either Is it a track car, well that's easy NO, the GT4 is that, the Spyder has no adjustments to allow better track use. I think some one would be mad to sell a 987.2 Spyder to get into one, it does not even look as nice at the rear ie the humps and lets face it we all buy into the humps and the 981's are not as nice as the 987.2's As a focused daily I think I would take a GTS with x73, Buckets and have a electric roof, as a fun toy I would keep the 987.2 Spyder and be £20k better off in my pocket ! Last that 3.8, again the car weighs more, and I for one have never thought to myself, do you know what , this Spyder needs 370BHp. (you can tune the 987.2 to that anyway and with shorter speeds in gear the 987.2 will prob be just as fast) And last that Manual remember the 981 with 20" wheels will do about 85mph in 2nd gear, so if you like changing gear you won't be needing to do that much either.
What a load of cr$p!what is the difference between the gt4 and the 981 SPYDER apart from the roof! The only real difference is the suspension/aero and for £3k you could give the spyder better suspension! So saying to 987 SPYDER owners not worth changing to a new one is also like saying why sell the CR for a gt4 Is the gt4 a real Motorsport car in the way gt3 is ?the answer is no it has no Motorsport engine thus it is no more a Motorsport car than a CR with sorted suspension and a bit of aero. IMHO because the spyder has the passive suspension it may be more sort after as a weekend TOY over the more track focused Gt4,plus it has the added bonus of top down motoring Would you have gone the spyder route if no gt4 I think you might but since you are getting a gt4 you are rubbishing the new spyder !
but a GT3 does not have motorsport engine either now ! and I am NOT selling my R to buy a GT4, I am keeping it ! and a few others have ditched the GT4 and are modding the R. as for better sus for £3k, it would cost you >3k to get GT4 control arms all round and set up, then £5k for a medium set of JRZ shocks, total £8k easy, then you also have the 380mm brakes vs the 340mm ones and still no down force. And NO one is going to throw £8k on a new SPyder like wise very few even tinker with the 987.2 car ! how many cars run an exciting set up , mine and fire2, I don't think any one else does. you cannot pedal a Spyder round the track with -1 degree camber it will just kill the tyres and understeer like a boat after 2 laps. Come to the PGCB at Anglesey and I'll take you out in mine, I have done a few mods and have real camber since I took Rob out last year. I am not rubbishing it no more than I might ditch the GT4, for me the 981 SPyder needed to be more tech with electric R8 style roof and PDK . for a fun car in my eyes I would keep the 987.2 Spyder, it has the feel which I love. to answer would I have gone 981 Spyder route, I can hand on heart say no, it would have been a 997.2 GT3 or a R8 v10 Plus.

Fresh Spyder for sale at an OPC if anyone is looking [8D] Just found this car was for sale privately in January 2014 @ 12k miles £37000 [:eek:]
20150410154843695_003.jpg
20150410154837585_001.jpg
20150410154845866_004.jpg
Porsche Centre Solihull Highlands Road B90 4GT Solihull Great Britain +44-121-223-9274 +44-121-745-0571 Transmission: Manual Fuel: Petrol Exterior Colour: Black Vehicle Location: Porsche Centre Solihull Vehicle Ident Number: WP0ZZZ98ZBS740086 Interior Finish: Black leatherette and alcantara seats Mileage: 15,000 m Registration Year: 2010 (10) Price: £ 44,850 Equipment 19-inch Boxster Spyder Wheel 6-speed manual transmission Floor mats Fully automatic climate control Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB) Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including navigation module Sound Package Plus including CD storage Sport Chrono Package Plus Sports Bucket Seats Sports exhaust system Telephone module for PCM Universal audio interface Wheel centre set

Defiantly not Spyder wheels ! take off the OPC 2year warranty and your down to £43K so a £6k rise in a year This is a nice spec car and PCCB should sell

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back