Menu toggle

Are Spyders Becoming Extinct At OPCs!

legin said:
Not sure I have the inclination to respond to all your points but i will go for a few.

I know you think 981 drivers will see the light and get a 987 version but the reality is some will some wont rather like the lotus s1 vs s2 argument and have had all those as well. I wont as the 981 with chairs and a/c is where im at these days.

Smart move not responding to all Mr D's points as he will never back down even when when he knows he is wrong :ROFLMAO:

I have owned 2 987 versions one short shift and one [:eek:]PDK[:eek:] despite what the Demon says about PDK both were great pieces of kit and driven as a manual the PDK was super smooth fast whilst still being great fun to paddle along in

Now a very happy owner of a 981 Spyder and have zero intention of cashing in taking a healthy premium and trading back to a 987 Note I didn't say trading down :ROFLMAO:

Bottom line for me is the Spyder be it a 987 manual or paddle shift or 981 £ for £ were probably the best priced Porsche models in decades and delivered as many thrills as one would ever need in a modern sports car for exciting topless cruising road adventures - Track days might need to be in a Kman R or GT4 but as a non tracker of no interest to me personally

Suns up tops down time to burn some super unleaded [8D]

27276565116_b8ef47c8a9_b.jpg

8062992418_19a80283b8_b.jpg

Daro Im with you on all counts. Mr D is well known and I remember him on SELOC where it was same old same old although he took his ball away. I guess after years of sitting on it and the prospect of misinforming new owners got a nibble from me. Anyway step back again.

Loved your car at Silverstone last year when we chatted about how to put the roof up on one ! Hope to see you this year ?

legin said:
Loved your car at Silverstone last year when we chatted about how to put the roof up on one ! Hope to see you this year ?
Looking forward to being there again on any of the dry days with the Spyder otherwise its all down to the daily driver:ROFLMAO:

I will look out for your Spyder and hopefully meet up again

30335825752_e07056ab46_b.jpg

Deja vu all over again from Mr D - entitled to his opinion, but puzzled why he repeatedly feels the need to impose his views on the 981 on the rest of us when he expressly has no interest in owning the model. For the record another 981 Spyder owner here who paid cash and has zero inclination to change to a 987.

And the future value of my car is not relevant for me unless and until I come to change it which won't be any time soon - I bought mine to use and enjoy not as some sort of pseudo investment scheme.

legin said:
Daro Im with you on all counts. Mr D is well known and I remember him on SELOC where it was same old same old although he took his ball away. I guess after years of sitting on it and the prospect of misinforming new owners got a nibble from me. Anyway step back again.

lol I would debate on the post if you don't agree and keep personal comments to a min.

legin said:
MrDemon said:
legin said:
MrDemon said:
ok buy at £75k gone a bit pricey imo last winter no stock was selling at £75k, there are some cars for sale which sitting there 8 months and stuck.

I would expect a big drop on these come end of finance time so a risky buy >£80k.
Your wrong.

Not sure I have the inclination to respond to all your points but i will go for a few.

Re selling price of 981 spyder last summer were 78 up to mid 80,s so your numbers are wrong. The opc network have dramatically fewer spyders for sale than GT4,s even allowing for the lower registered number and they do sell. The comment they stuck at 74k last winter and didnt sell isnt what I observed unless a/c delete or the like .

I agree that the overs gap to GT4 has reduced and believe this will stay this way as many folk myself included prefer the spyder even if it was the same price. Somehow the GT4 badge meant the Spyder was overlooked to a degree but that is changing as the word gets out that its a better toy for the road and reflected in the closing gap also in part seasonal agreed.

I agree that the PCP bubble is going to come crashing down but I dont agree the Spyder will suffer any more than the GT cars will whether financed or not. The reason is simple there are not enough around for over supply and the car is therefore no more a risky buy than a GT car is and probably less as Porsche under priced it new.

Like many I flit between the 911 GTS and the Spyder but a 2016 GTS doesnt make the overs a Spyder does in relation to purchase price. As the GTS spec becomes more common place across the board I think later cars are more at risk of oversupply and the PCP bubble.

Ironically the GT4 seems to get the "its not GT enough" (engine etc) more than the spyder I think because the spyder isnt claiming to be a GT and most buyers myself included are quite happy with the open roof, looks, better sound and exclusivity.

I know you think 981 drivers will see the light and get a 987 version but the reality is some will some wont rather like the lotus s1 vs s2 argument and have had all those as well. I wont as the 981 with chairs and a/c is where im at these days.

Those were the asking prices not selling and As I stated trade buy back will be lower upto £10k esp at OPC , it's very hard to sell private high value cars because most people don't have the cash on the hip !

There is a massive finance bubble the banks have been told to expect hit and start putting money aside for bad debt !

No one slated the Spyder, I said you could have a hit buying second hand at £90k ! so buyer be care full and as if by Magic a car was drooped to £79k from a dealer !

It was not a what is better gen 1 or gen 2 post ! although some people who have had both have sold 981's, it is what it is.

The org owners are always ££ in, the cars were great value and those guys are laughing and missing the point about buying £90k one !

SpyderDavid said:
Deja vu all over again from Mr D - entitled to his opinion, but puzzled why he repeatedly feels the need to impose his views on the 981 on the rest of us when he expressly has no interest in owning the model. For the record another 981 Spyder owner here who paid cash and has zero inclination to change to a 987.

And the future value of my car is not relevant for me unless and until I come to change it which won't be any time soon - I bought mine to use and enjoy not as some sort of pseudo investment scheme.
I cannot comment on Mr D's thoughts on Spyders but , other than that, I agree with everything you say. My 981 Spyder is a fantastic drivers car and my regular passenger seems to enjoy it too. We bought it to use and enjoy, not as a pseudo investment. Not to be using it as porsche's engineers intended seems to me as somewhat of a crime

[/quote]

quote: Those were the asking prices not selling and As I stated trade buy back will be lower upto £10k esp at OPC , it's very hard to sell private high value cars because most people don't have the cash on the hip !

There is a massive finance bubble the banks have been told to expect hit and start putting money aside for bad debt !

£10k mark up - My experience confirms this on a lower value car. When I was going to buy a 981 spyder in February this year the OPC was very open that he would be advertising my 987 spyder for £10k more than I was being offered......but under challenge he did of course say he would be making very little out of the deal (and that didn't include the profit on the 981 spyder)! :ROFLMAO:

MrDemon said:
legin said:
MrDemon said:
legin said:
MrDemon said:
ok buy at £75k gone a bit pricey imo last winter no stock was selling at £75k, there are some cars for sale which sitting there 8 months and stuck.

I would expect a big drop on these come end of finance time so a risky buy >£80k.
Your wrong.

Re selling price of 981 spyder last summer were 78 up to mid 80,s so your numbers are wrong. The opc network have dramatically fewer spyders for sale than GT4,s even allowing for the lower registered number and they do sell. The comment they stuck at 74k last winter and didnt sell isnt what I observed unless a/c delete or the like .

I agree that the overs gap to GT4 has reduced and believe this will stay this way as many folk myself included prefer the spyder even if it was the same price. Somehow the GT4 badge meant the Spyder was overlooked to a degree but that is changing as the word gets out that its a better toy for the road and reflected in the closing gap also in part seasonal agreed.

I agree that the PCP bubble is going to come crashing down but I dont agree the Spyder will suffer any more than the GT cars will whether financed or not. The reason is simple there are not enough around for over supply and the car is therefore no more a risky buy than a GT car is and probably less as Porsche under priced it new.

Like many I flit between the 911 GTS and the Spyder but a 2016 GTS doesnt make the overs a Spyder does in relation to purchase price. As the GTS spec becomes more common place across the board I think later cars are more at risk of oversupply and the PCP bubble.

Ironically the GT4 seems to get the "its not GT enough" (engine etc) more than the spyder I think because the spyder isnt claiming to be a GT and most buyers myself included are quite happy with the open roof, looks, better sound and exclusivity.

Those were the asking prices not selling and As I stated trade buy back will be lower upto £10k esp at OPC , it's very hard to sell private high value cars because most people don't have the cash on the hip !

No one slated the Spyder, I said you could have a hit buying second hand at £90k ! so buyer be care full and as if by Magic a car was drooped to £79k from a dealer !

It was not a what is better gen 1 or gen 2 post ! although some people who have had both have sold 981's, it is what it is.

The org owners are always ££ in, the cars were great value and those guys are laughing and missing the point about buying £90k one !

So you have gone from not selling at £74k that the OPC or dealer gave £64k for to laughing at the guys buying one at £90k . You really are all over the place with your numbers. The OPC were and are selling the cars and as you know seldom give much if any discount so they sell near to the asking price , always the exception either end.

I know what they were going for this time last year because I bought one and no way could I buy one for £64k anywhere not even near. I know the opc margin is 5 - 10 k but you try getting in on the act. Oh and mine was cash purchase also.

Nothing personal in my statement that you took your ball from SELOC it was merely a fact and I agree some strange folk on the forum.

Dont get me wrong many things you say I agree with although personally I would keep some of them to myself. Im sure you will come back with yet another angle but I will sign off on this subject now to get the thread back on track so no more opinion on this from me.

MrDemon said:

Resale Racing Red ones seem to command a premium still:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

[link=http://www.porsche.co.uk/guildford]Porsche Centre Guildford[/link]

Previous Owners: 2

Exterior Colour:Guards Red Mileage:1,330 m Registration Year:2016 (65)Price:£ 91,995

20-inch Boxster Spyder Design wheels 6-speed manual gearbox 64-litre fuel tank Automatically dimming mirrors with integrated rain sensor BOSE® surround sound-system Black Bi-Xenon headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) Boxster Spyder wheels painted in satin Black (complete)Cruise control Digital radio Door opening loops in colour of decorative stitching Door sill guards in stainless steel, illuminated Full colour wheel centre caps Guards Red seat belts Headlight cleaning system covers painted

Light design package Net-type wind deflector Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including navigation module Preparation outer door-sill guards, illuminated Reversing camera Roll-over bar with exterior colour paint finish Seat heating Smoked taillights Speed limit display Sport Design exterior mirror lower trims painted in Black (high-gloss)Stitching in contrasting colour Telephone module Two-zone automatic climate control

people do get a bit touchy if you talk values, but the prices were all to see last winter and the cars were hard to move, cars are hard to move now, ALL cars not 981 spyders.

where did I say you could buy one at £64k lol !!! why make stuff up !

there seems to be info that the new Spyder will be flat 6 so that will also have an impact on prices.

I was trying to be very helpful saying watch what you buy as £90k cars could hurt if you want an out this/next winter. It's hard giving advice if you get **** on :-(

GT4 sales have slowed the cars in the same boat.

Still ok for org owners, but the guys who bought at £100k and now getting offered £75k trade in is a big hit. Not rocket science.

If you want one and think £90k is good value, that's also ok, but don't start moaning about values when the next new one will be better(if it's a flat 6) and be £65k.

The problem with prices is pretty obvious with so called limited edition cars .

For owners they want prices to hold or increase obviously.

For buyers they want prices to be fair at least list of below especially the people who weren't lucky enough to get one new.

For example 981 Spyder new was £ 60,459 base price a few people could run to that with maybe a couple of options not everyone can afford another 5 or 6 k in options. I appreciate some of the cars for sale do have certain options but not all have a big expensive options.

But still commanding way over list prices which has out priced a lot of buyers which is a shame for enthusiasts that would have loved a new one to use own cherish and not bought as an investment to maybe sell on for profit.

The reason for some conflict I believe as mentioned the market has slowed for both Spyder & GT4 the people who could afford 90 k who never got a new one have been bought the people with less funds are waiting in the wings to see if prices will fall which would move a lot of stock hanging around.

There we have it in a nut shell.

Hi Cliff

I think you got it bang on. anything limited edition be it hand bags or cars demand a premium.

For people waiting to buy its a case of. Will the nut crack[8|]

I don't think many owners just bought the base spec ...most and including my self added as you say 5-6 K on top and that I did not spec Sat /Phone for me not required and not spending £££ for the second owner who may or not want what I want .

If I where to sell to an OPC the best I would get is around £73K and then they would ask some where in the high 70's and possibly over . A private sale would be in the middle but who has that cash hanging around . The new model will defiantly have an effect on the 981 prices but do not think it will have any bearing on the 987 though .

If the new one comes in PDK would definitely be interested . As much as it may suite the purists I would defiantly opt for PDK and a nice comfy seat :ROFLMAO: this time around .

Cheers John.

Knowing your car Brian I think OPC would have it up in the 80s obviously trade is a lot less.

I have looked at prices of the lower end GT4s low to mid 80s some don't have any or hardly any options but still over list.

But it's a case of a lot of cars with have all owed at one time or another increased in value I had a 3.2 Carrera 2 GT3s and so on I sold low at a loss now there worth triple what I got its one of those things.

It's a problem for anyone who wants to get into Porsche and the club you are now limited to models as prices have shot up.

I keep looking to change my CR but to be honest what can you get for under 50 k that's a little special my CR has only 14 k on it and I can't see anything within my budget that will be as good it's a cracking car for mid to late 40s it's the only car that seems value for money and a 987 Spyder.

I would have to find another 30/40 k to get a car as good or better which is a no affraid for me.

Unless I bought new gen Spyder or GT4 if they happen.

Agree if it's a six pot will affect prices of above mentioned and PDK might attract other potential buyers.

Only time will tell.

But they are all great cars we all have our own opinions which we prefer makes it interesting healthy discussion.

MrDemon said:

there seems to be info that the new Spyder will be flat 6 so that will also have an impact on prices.

I was trying to be very helpful saying watch what you buy as £90k cars could hurt if you want an out this/next winter. It's hard giving advice if you get **** on :-(

Still ok for org owners, but the guys who bought at £100k and now getting offered £75k trade in is a big hit. Not rocket science.

If you want one and think £90k is good value, that's also ok, but don't start moaning about values when the next new one will be better(if it's a flat 6) and be £65k.

Your words, not selling at 75k and opc give 10k less for it so 65k. So your going to get offered 65k - It is made up your right there.

Who is moaning apart from you.

No they havent they have slowed further than a Spyder so your not as in touch as you profess to be.

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back