Menu toggle

Cayman GT4: Where are we up to now?

I'm not in favour of electronic traction gizmos unless they can be disabled. PTV is known to shred rear brake pads in track use. Chris.

Agreed Chris. And a more aggressive LSD would probably be an advantage for track use as well. It's just that PTV/LSD is available off-the-shelf, as it were, saving significant development and production costs associated with a bespoke set-up. Perhaps better left to the race version. Jeff

ORIGINAL: Motorhead ...A more aggressive LSD would probably be an advantage for track use as well... It's just that PTV/LSD is available off-the-shelf, as it were, saving significant development and production costs associated with a bespoke set-up. Perhaps better left to the race version. Jeff
A number of USA Cayman track junkies find that the Porsche LSD does keep its performance for very long and install Guards LSD to both manual and PDK vehicles.

Yes, I'd noticed that too Ralph. The standard LSD [even that fitted on the GT3, I think] isn't particularly aggressive [22% locking under traction, 27% on overrun] but PTV is a relatively cheap option compared with something like a Guards LSD, so I suppose that you can't expect too much from something designed primarily for road use. Other than driving the car on a loose surface, I wonder how you check out whether or not the LSD is working properly? Maybe jacking up the rear and making sure that both wheels turn in the same direction would give some indication, but that's under a no-load situation and isn't really representative of normal operating conditions. Jeff

How to check your LSD the American way.. http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-boxster-modifications/102905-991-gt3-front-sway-bar.html#post902017 Post #7 and #8 Costs at BGB: GUARD TRANSMISSION LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL: For cars that do not have Porsche Torque Vectoring, Guard has the tools you need to put the power to the ground. If you are going on a race track the first thing you will be upgrading is the limited slip differential! Available worldwide only from Guard Transmission, this limited slip differential drops right into your PDK or 6-speed transmission and gives you that drive out of the corner that made BGB Motorsports owned Porsches famous! $3,095.00 & 6 Hrs. Labor @ $100/Hr. ($2795 for all 6-speed customers.)

Are people going straight to their OPC tomorrow for 9am ? or just going to see what happens. with only 100 2015 cars - all the VIP cars say 30 odd, that leaves 70 cars for normal punters in 2015, not sure how allocation works but placing an order early would seem Logical. 70 cars is only 2 per OPC ! never bought a new ltd number car before so no idea what is best to be assured an early one, Porsche cannot build all 100 in 1 day, what's strange is OPC say 1st cars will be in May, but people ordering GTS are not getting cars till Nov !

I seem to remember a [P-9?] post saying that GT4s would replace some GTS slots on the line, but can't say whether or not that's going to happen. I thought general chatter had it that Thursday rather than tomorrow was the day? I would think that getting in first would be more likely to guarantee you a slot, so good luck. Keep us posted. Jeff

Prostrating myself before a sales person is not something I have ever done so I will be enjoying a nice fry up followed by a walk on the beach. If I am allotted the opportunity to acquire one I shall give it due consideration.

ORIGINAL: Motorhead I seem to remember a [P-9?] post saying that GT4s would replace some GTS slots on the line, but can't say whether or not that's going to happen. I thought general chatter had it that Thursday rather than tomorrow was the day? I would think that getting in first would be more likely to guarantee you a slot, so good luck. Keep us posted. Jeff
Porsche launches are always Wednesdays for some reason, the rumor mill was the 5th a few months back but that did not tie in with a Wednesdays, so I went to see my OPC last week and he confirmed Wednesday 4th.

Excellent..! Just go for it tomorrow morning and see what happens. I suppose they'll want you to choose an initial spec. Although everything's pure speculation at the moment, any thoughts about colour, PCCBs, wheels, tyres, etc.? Jeff

price is my key issue, I am not a rich man and I love my R. it really needs to be £75k with all the options I want, it's already a hard sell to me with electric steering and £35k on top of my R !!!! PCCB , nope as the car will have big brakes, so that's 5k saving. I would like gulf Orange or Mexico Blue, but if no good launch colours then yellow or red. don't want a cage but if it's a club sport pack maybe, but might go for CS and take the cage out !!! buying after market CS cage is messy and hard. I will go for CUP 2 tyres if that's a option, but maybe part of CS pack !!! So no idea lol just think, keep the R at 40k, upgrade it to 360BHp for about 4k and fit some high end coilovers for £5k and some GT3 lca, that's one nice R for £50k and £25k to spend on holidays and euro hoons ! but then my spyder is that sort of spec now !!! why have 2 ! not being rich I have to buy with good resale in mind, also some people say buy what you want, but in the real world I will need to sell this car down the line for top money. I never buy new cars, but I don't see the GT4 losing money (lets hope) rather use it 12 months sell it for the same price as I paid. really hoping it's a awesome car in great demand and can fetch £5k more than list in 12 months.

ORIGINAL: MrDemon really hoping it's a awesome car in great demand and can fetch £5k more than list in 12 months.
Man plans and God laughs [;)]
god_laughing.jpg

ORIGINAL: MrDemon I never buy new cars, but I don't see the GT4 losing money (lets hope) rather use it 12 months sell it for the same price as I paid. really hoping it's a awesome car in great demand and can fetch £5k more than list in 12 months.
A discussion we've had before MrD. Based upon what's happened to the GT3 with limited availability, it's quite possible that GT4 prices could hold up well for a couple of years. Even at £75k a GT4 would represent excellent value when compared with its much more expensive sibling, so demand is bound to exceed supply. And you'll be in the enviable position of having to choose which car to take on a track-day.... Jeff

press pics are out early
gt4yellow2.jpg
New addition to the GT family of Porsche high performance models The benchmark in its class: the Porsche Cayman GT4 Porsche is proud to introduce a new addition to its line of revered GT high performance models; the Cayman GT4. This is the first time Porsche has introduced such a focused GT model based on the mid-engined, two-seat Cayman coupe. Sharing components and genetic spirit with the iconic 911 GT3, a lap time of 7 min 40 sec around the Nürburgring Nordschleife places the Cayman GT4 emphatically as the new benchmark at the top of its market segment. It also makes a clear statement that Porsche will continue to promote radical two-door sports cars now and in the future - sports cars that are developed at the company's Motorsport department in Weissach. The engine, chassis, brakes and aerodynamic design of the Cayman GT4 are configured for maximum driving dynamics; yet the top model still retains the versatility and everyday utility that are typical of a Porsche sports car. The Cayman GT4 is powered by a mid-mounted, 3.8-litre flat-six engine with 385 hp (283 kW), which is derived from the 911 Carrera S engine. Its power is transmitted by a standard six-speed manual gearbox with dynamic gearbox mounts - there is no PDK transmission option. This translates in to acceleration from zero to 62 mph in 4.4 seconds; top speed is 183 mph. The car's NEDC fuel consumption is 27.4 mpg. The body is lowered by 30 mm versus the standard Cayman, and features a purposefully-proportioned brake system. Furthermore, the chassis has been comprehensively fine-tuned with many components shared with the 911 GT3. Fit for the race track: first Porsche Cayman with downforce on both axles The new GT4 is clearly differentiated from its brothers in the Cayman range. Three distinctive inlet openings in the nose and a large fixed rear wing are part of an aerodynamic package which is systematically designed to not only reduce lift but also generate downforce. Upon request, the Cayman GT4 can be equipped even more comprehensively for more sporting, or track day driving. Options include PCCB ceramic brakes, shell-backed seats made of carbon fibre reinforced plastic (CFRP), a custom Sport Chrono Package with the unique Track Precision app, and a Club Sport Package. The interior of the Cayman GT4 is designed so that the driver and passenger can become immersed in unfiltered driving enjoyment. Sports seats, upholstered in a combination of leather and Alcantara, are distinguished by very good lateral support. Due to its compact dimensions, the new GT4 sports steering wheel guarantees ideal control and direct steering feedback. Technical aspects of the new Cayman GT4 are based on the 911 GT3. As a mid-engined sports car and a prime example of driving dynamics in its class, it follows the conceptual tradition of such cars as the 904 GTS, 911 GT1, Carrera GT and 918 Spyder. GT sports cars from Porsche embody the most passionate transfer of technology from the race track to the road, and clearly demonstrate the sporting core of the brand: Intelligent Performance. Four out of five drivers of Porsche GT models also use their cars to participate in track days and club motorsport. The Cayman GT4 goes on sale in Porsche Centres in the UK and Ireland today priced from £64,451, and will celebrate its world premiere in March at the Geneva International Motor Show. First customer deliveries are scheduled for the end of March. Standard equipment includes bi-Xenon headlights, sports exhaust, Sport Chrono Pack with dynamic engine mounts, leather/Alcantara interior trim, sports seats, 20-inch alloy wheels, Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) with rear limited slip differential, digital radio, a universal audio interface offering MP3 connectivity, automatic climate control, Porsche Stability Management (PSM), a Porsche Vehicle Tracking anti-theft system and a three-year warranty.

http://youtu.be/lGVWojMMeg4 this has the detail you need 310 lb/ft torque and all GT3 running gear and steering

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2015-porsche-cayman-gt4-revealed Hardcore Cayman GT4 gets 380bhp from a 3.8-litre flat six and "as many GT parts as possible"; due in March, priced from £64,451 The Porsche Cayman GT4 costs £64,451 The Cayman GT4 is already on sale in the UK The GT4 sits above the Cayman GTS in Porsche's range The steering wheel is new for the GT4, while the sports seats are trimmed in both leather and Alcantara First deliveries of the new Cayman GT4 are expected in late March The Cayman GT4 will make its world debut at the Geneva motor show in March The GT4's 3.8-litre engine develops 380bhp at 7400rpm This is the Porsche Cayman GT4, a potent Motorsport-developed version of the mid-engined sports car that’s been equipped with a larger engine from the 911 Carrera S and hooked up to a manual gearbox. The Cayman GT4 can be ordered from today, starting from £64,451, just shy of £10,000 less than the Cayman GTS above which it sits in Porsche’s range. First deliveries are due in late March, and the model will make its world debut at the Geneva motor show earlier in the same month. Positioned between the Cayman GTS and the 911 GT3, the Cayman GT4 uses a stiffened and strengthened Cayman bodyshell as a starting point. It is lowered by 30mm and then, as Porsche GT boss Andreas Preuninger says, “as many GT parts as possible” are added into it. “We didn’t make this out of a Cayman GTS,” he says. “This is an entry-level mid-engined GT3 car.” Mounted midships is a reworked version of the Carrera S’s 3.8-litre flat six engine, producing 380bhp at 7400rpm and 310lb ft at 4750-6000rpm. It is hooked up to a modified version of the Cayman GTS’s six-speed manual gearbox. A PDK dual-clutch automatic was considered but rejected, meaning the Cayman GT4 is manual only. Preuninger says the engine didn’t fit at first, and describes the end result as an “old-school hot rod – a big engine in a small car”. He adds: “It’s a whole new package – very driveable, an explosive experience that makes you smile all the time.” The 0-62mph sprint takes 4.4sec and the top speed is 183mph. Combined fuel economy is 27.4mpg and CO2 emissions are rated at 238g/km. The front axle and suspension are borrowed from the 911 GT3 and the rear axle and forged aluminium double wishbone suspension are completely new. Dampers are taken from the 911 GT3. The electric steering system from the 911 GT3 does make it onto the Cayman GT4 but is given new software. There’s no need for the likes of the 911 GT3’s rear-wheel steering for the Cayman GT4, because the mid-engined car simply doesn’t need it, according to Preuninger. The result is a purer driving experience. Stopping power is provided by standard steel brakes, or optional carbon-ceramics from the 911 GT3 that Preuninger describes as “slightly over-engineered and delightfully oversized” when fitted to the Cayman GT4. The forged 20in alloy wheels are new and are shod in Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres. The rear 295/30 ZR20 tyres are bespoke, but the front 245/35 ZR20s are borrowed from the 911 GT3 as they were “a perfect match”, according to Preuninger. The design is a classic case of form following function, says Preuninger. The goal was to create a “zero lift car”, but thanks to the extensive aerodynamic and cooling package on the car – which includes a front splitter, a larger front grille and increased frontal air intakes, side air intakes, not one but two rear spoilers and a fully functional diffuser – the Cayman GT4 produces as much downforce at speed (100kg) as the 911 GT3. Every single part on the Cayman GT4 has a functional use. “It still has to be beautiful and have a 'want factor', though,” Preuninger adds, pointing to details such as the “cool” black glass on the front and rear lights, blackened twin central exhausts and quality stitching on the twin lightweight bucket seats, taken from the 918 Spyder, as small details adding to that 'want factor'.Despite all the extra equipment, the Cayman GT4 weighs no more than a Cayman GTS, tipping the scales at 1340kg dry. You can delete items such as the sat-nav and air-con to save weight, but Preuninger expects only a small take-up for that. “Only 2% of 911 GT3 RS buyers took away the air-con,” he points out, saying that despite the car’s track intentions, owners still take them on the road and are concerned about deleting such items and harming resale values with such little tangible weight and performance gains. Inside, the steering wheel is new for the GT4 and the sports seats are trimmed in both leather and Alcantara. Standard equipment includes bi-xenon headlights, a sports exhaust system, a Sport Chrono Package with dynamic engine mounts, the Porsche Torque Vectoring system, a mechanical limited-slip differential at the rear and the Porsche Stability Management system. On the options list are items such as carbonfibre-reinforced, plastic-backed seats for the two-seat interior. These weigh just 15kg each and are inspired by the 918 Spyder. A customised version of the Sport Chrono Package is offered, as is a Club Sport Package. Interview with Andreas Preuninger, head of Porsche’s GT road car division Preuninger on manual vs automatic The manual vs dual-clutch PDK auto’ debate rages on between not only Porsche customers and enthusiasts, but also within the company’s own GT division.“We thought about both with this car and I wouldn’t rule out a PDK version in the future,” says Preuninger. “There is a 50/50 happiness split between the two choices. There is no wrong or right answer. But as a company we have to have both,” a comment that reveals any report on the death of the manual gearbox as being greatly exaggerated. Preuninger continues: “It is all about taste and how you use it. PDK has the edge performance-wise, but for pure motoring enjoyment on a Sunday afternoon, even I like the manual better. It gives me more to do; this is what a GT is all about. But you also have to appreciate that people enjoy both and the advantages. “Many people reacted to the manual in the 911 GT3, but in this car it is just not right to have a manual. Still, so many people wanted a manual gearbox… this car proves we have listened.” Preuninger also points to the fact that the car, with a Nürburgring lap time of 7m45sec, is the fastest of its size and type, even without a PDK that would shave a few tenths off the lap. “We like to be manual,” he says, “ but we like better to be fastest. If we can be manual and fastest then great. If we’re put under pressure in the future, we’ll react accordingly." There’s even new life put into this manual gearbox by Porsche making the throw even shorter and adding a ‘blipping assistant’, a sophisticated rev matching system that can be turned off if desired. Preuninger, a man who likes his sports cars pure, is enjoying the system and keeps it on most of the time. Preuninger on whether a Cayman can be better than a 911 The Cayman GT4 is a car Preuninger and his team have always wanted to make but have until now not had the engineering capacity to realise. To that end, Preuninger says that, contrary to popular belief, there is no agenda within Porsche or his GT department to prevent the Cayman from ever becoming a better car to drive than the 911. “There’s no internal regime, no team rules,” he says. The Cayman GT4, then, could be quite something indeed. “It’s a pure Motorsport car,” Preuninger says. “It’s the youngster in our GT range, but a youngster to be taken seriously. There’s so much underneath the bodywork.” Preuninger says he doesn’t expect the Cayman GT4 to steal any sales from the 911 GT3 (which has now finished its current production run), because the price difference is vast and the intended usage very different. “It could affect used car sales, though,” he adds. “I’m very curious to see whether people go for a three-year-old GT3 or a new Cayman GT4. We’ll win new customers with this also, and those who want a new toy.” Preuninger on what the Cayman GT4 will be like to drive It’s easy to zone out a little when a company chief starts talking up the merits of their latest creation, but when it’s a man like Preuninger with cars on his CV such as the 997 GT3 RS 4.0 and his success in making the current 911 GT3 so darned good, in spite of those initial doubts on the electric steering and PDK gearbox, his opinion on how it drives is worth listening to. So one’s appetite is firmly whetted when Preuninger reveals it is a Cayman GT4 he has had his most memorable recent drive in. “We did a test drive in the very south of Italy,” he recalls. “There were three of four of us going very, very fast… this car talks to you, it communicates so much. It has senses you dial into. It is old-school driving fun, but it’s not outdated in any way.” Sounds like a car to get very excited about indeed, then. Especially when you consider the other car Preuninger and his team have been working on and driving at the same time has been the upcoming 911 GT3 RS, which will join the Cayman GT4 at the Geneva show next month. Preuninger on whether or not the Cayman GT4 will go racing Don’t get too caught up on that GT4 name pre-empting an entry into that level of motorsport. Although Preuninger says the Cayman GT4 could comfortably be morphed into an out-and-out racing car, he says the GT4 badge is more of a reflection of where the Cayman GT4 sits below the 911 GT3 in the range. Preuninger on whether cars like the GT4 are still important to Porsche Preuninger is in no doubt as to the importance of the car – and others like it in Porsche’s range – in ensuring Porsche doesn’t forget its roots and continues to make the rewarding sports cars the company has always been known for. “Don’t worry,” he says with a smile. “We know the role of cars like this. They are very important for the brand image and ones we have to make for our core customers. We’ve made cars like this for years and years, and we listen very carefully to the customers who buy them.” We put it to Preuninger that as long as Porsche keeps selling SUVs by the shed load and making the big profits that go with that territory, ever more focused cars like the Cayman GT4 will follow in order to ‘validate’ the brand and keep Porsche as Porsche. That’s “absolutely my suggestion”, he responds.

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back