Menu toggle

Cayman GT4: Where are we up to now?

he bought the wrong car :), many people do that hence you are seeing 997.2 GT3's with 10 owners and 991 GT3 with 500 miles and 4 owners !

People THINK they want a GT car. lol

To me I could NOT try it and wanted a new car (I only buy focused cars anyway), the GT4 is a no risk buy and it seems maybe £25k now for cars this year is the going rate, so if I don't like it tomorrow, I really do fancy the R8v10 Plus THE NEW 610BHP one :)

a 0-200 kmh car in sub 10 seconds, very short ratio's ie sub 90mph in 3rd so you get to play and the £25k offsets the money buying a new R8 will fall.

looked at the Mp12C but think I like the new R8 V10 plus more and of course it's new and I can spec it how I like, Suzuka grey with those LASER lights please ;-) and quilted stitching.

I would say I know what to expect with the GT4, the only issue for me would be the ride height and if I can get it up my street over the 2 speed bumps (My R scrapes the paint off the underside lip ! )

[link=https://youtu.be/RqGII0e0kdI]https://youtu.be/RqGII0e0kdI[/link]

audi-r8-S1895655-1.jpg

There's no question D that the chap likes the GT4. I think he's already done a few track sessions with it and was just trying to give an honest appraisal if someone was planning to use the car as a daily drive and/or for long trips.

I'm not a great fan of Audis, they're all a bit samey to me, but the R8 is an exception. Even the older V8-spec car sounds good and that new car looks very striking - last of the N/A breed I'm afraid, much like Porsche.

Enjoy the drive tomorrow and let us have your impressions.

Jeff

I have given the OPC my spec for October delivery.

Any feedback gratefully received

GT Silver Standard seats Fire Extinguisher Vehicle key painted PCM Sound Package Plus Mobile phone connection by bluetooth Voice control system Cheers

Hi Jeremy,

Where have you been hiding? I don't recall hearing from you here before now.

I suppose your choices depend very much on planned usage: Is it going to be a daily drive? Are you going to use it on track, if at all? Do you plan some longer trips? See my post #1243 above for some useful comments from a recent purchaser.

Keeping your spec simple I see. GT Silver's an interesting choice - quite rare I would think - but looks really good in the pics I've seen. I'm not sure that I'd bother with the Fire Extinguisher, but I'm sure that's just a personal preference. Judging by the mixed comments about the LWB seats, the standard seats sound like a safer bet and are probably a good compromise if you're more interested in driving comfort than appearance.

Unless you spec the 64-litre tank [no charge] you'll get the standard smaller capacity 54-litre tank. The passenger footwell storage net, smoking package [with a lid rather than a hole in the centre console and an extra power outlet] and black rear wing supports are also FOC. Personally, I'd include the leather interior to break up the swathes of plastic on the fascia and door cappings. Automatic climate control avoids having to constantly fiddle with the temperature control, dipping mirrors/auto wipers and cruise control should be standard on a £65k+ car but aren't, and I'd recommend the PDLS after having them on my 987.2 Cayman [though you may want to spec the headlight cleaning system covers in body colour as they're black as standard].

Hope the delivery process goes smoothly for you. Keep us posted on progress.

Jeff

Too few posting on here [5?] to run an equivalent, but PH are running a What colour did you choose? survey with the following result so far:

Yellow 6 Guards Red 6 Sapphire Blue Metallic 4 Carrera White Metallic 3 Jett Black Metallic 1 Carmine Red 1 Agate Grey Metallic 1 Dark Blue Metallic 1 GT Silver Metallic 1 PTS Mexico Blue 1 PTS Voodoo Blue 1 PTS Grey-Black 1 PTS Secret 1 Black 0 White 0 Rhodium Silver Metallic 0

Platinum appears to be the favoured wheel colour.

28 responses probably equates to around 28% of the UK's GT4 allocation. If you're not a PH subscriber, maybe you'd care to add your choice to the list?

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Thank you for your message. I like to keep my 'head low', out of the firing line ! which is why you've probably not found me on the radar.

I won't be using the GT4 as a daily drive, nor on the track, but just a fun & powerful manual motorcar. I've also got a 2008 Megane 230 F1 Sport which has the amazing cup chassis from Renault Motorpsort, so the GT4 will be an interesting addition for me.

Safe driving,

Jeremy

I am not sold on it after my drive today (2.5 hours hard core driving we did as well) , think we will see a few for sale in a year or so.

I'll prob not even take mine and cash in sad to say.

People on the Boxster section who love seeing what's going on here :) (big mistake selling a 987.2 Spyder for a 981 car imo)

the short of it is, it's like a Cayman R plus 20% but with less feel, it's not worth to me £30k to swap and missing out on bigger premiums for early cars. plus losing the feel.

Again if people are NOT thinking of taking it on track , sell it, it's not going to be a great road car imo (but people should know that, Porsche keep saying it's a track car) , but not having driven on the road who knows for sure, the extra weight and the even longer gearing on those 20" wheels feels poor to me, it just offsets the 3.8 so it also feels no faster in real terms.

The pec car under steers as well, yes safe to drive fast and push as hard as you can, but the geo/ ARB not to my liking on full soft setting at the rear. (I hate under steering cars) but that would be fixable.

I mean at the limit mind you, and I have neck pains due to 2.5 hours of pulling high G's all day, the car changes direction fast/flat and turn in is good, it's on the longer bends or if you over drive, it under steers quite bad, you have to trail brake to get the nose to turn in also on 2 bends (that's a 911 thing, NOT what I want from a Cayman Platform) again a few people have already put the rear ARB to stiff, it needs it for sure if you want a car like Lewis's car and not Rosbergs :) (that's as close as I can say how the car is if you watch Lewis car vs Rosbergs in cars shots, I want my cars to feel like Lewis has his set up, ie a front end which turns in and does not push, not how Rosbergs cars is, but NOT like the Lotus F1 cars with over steer.

Clutch is easy 1/2 as hard again to push than my R I about put my foot through the floor getting back in the R lol non issue the gears are SO long you won't be pressing it much ! lol

Steering, my o my the steering: It's good but it's NOT Carling !!!! ok no play, you can feel any small amounts of understeer no issue, no dead spot like the non Gt 981 either, but NOT as good as my R, simple as that, and when it rained you lost the feel a bit.

Steering is a fine line, sell the R buy a GT4 you would be ok with the steering, it's good and weight is great, but I have a Spyder in the garage set up to be mega and driving that back to back with a GT4 would show up the GT4 issues.

I have seen another ex GT3 owner say (great car, hate the steering) you will get used to the steering in a week and forget how any other steering feels and wonder what the fuss is about ! if you don't have a older car to compare !

Is it an issue, nope but then it's not as good as the older car ! So a neg point !

Brakes, the car had PCCB the 410mm ones, ok not sure what's wrong here(wrong maybe the wrong word ) , but not as good as expected, ok the GT4 weighs more than my Spyder and my driving consultant must have been 16 stone, But my Spyder stops faster and had more bite. Not sure why the new ones bite was lack lustre. Again a non issue for new comers and from any 987 or 981 platform, but my 1250KG Spyder with PCCB has more feel and stops better with more bite. may be the bigger wheels and 245/295's add too much rotating weight hence the lack of bite !!! 20" 245/295 tyres must add a lot of weight over my 19" 235/265 ! all I can put it down too !

again , Is it an issue, nope but then it's not as good as the older car ! So a neg point ! (can I give it a neg point for that ? it's a bit harsh, the brakes are still mega)

PEC cars are odd though one minute you cannot touch the tyres after doing 8k rpm on the limits drifting, then water then hard track work , the pressures must have been all over the place, I DO MEAN the rears were hot "burn your finger hot" to touch spending 15 minutes in the drift circle ! never felt a tyre that hot in my life !

gears, the ratio's are too long, end of, you do the track in 2nd gear reving the nuts of it, a quick change to 3rd back to 2nd quick 3rd gear, NOT SURE WHY PORSCHE HAVE GONE THIS ROUTE, RUINS MOST OF THE CARS !!!

As I was really pushing the car, I drove all day in Sports mode ie auto blip, it let me really push the car, bit like PDK owners love ;-) ie you can think more about driving, but I still had gears and a heavy clutch to press.

Some hate Auto blip I loved it.

end result sweating a lot, worked hard and the car has NO AC.

So it's a great car (I am pointing out all the bad bits ;-) NO one else has ! every one is saying EPIC car ! , it feels rock solid, the grip with 245/295 is crazy (neck pains to prove) corners flats, nice torque great gear shift, perfect auto blip.

bad points: steering, but you would get over it very quick and coming from most any other new car it will feel great.

brakes is not a bad point, just does not stop as good as my lighter car with smaller tyres. they are still stunning powerfull and the 245/295 helps after the initial lack of bite. 99.9 % of people will think they are amazing (my Spyder stops faster than a P1 one so was expecting the same, as every one says the car is over braked. ARB for me I would go full stiff rear, the rear of the car is way to plated vs the front of the car set up as it was, and maybe a bit more neg front camber on the front for hard core track work. there is NO way you can drive this car on the road how I was on track today, so the factory -1.5 should be a perfect road set up for it.

I got back into my R and thought "this is a bloody good car" no wonder I have kept it 2.5 years, change the brakes, add some camber, fit some nicer tyres the R is a MEGA road car. (only my Spyder has the PCCB and 6 pots , my R is on 4pots ;-( )

ON track the GT4 will walk all over the R no doubt about it, the grip, the chassis the 410mm brakes, the 3.8 etc, how many will we see on track vs road use though

if you want a Road car save £30k get a R set up nice and just enjoy one of the most underrated cars Porsche make.

ON the road the R still might have it ! I know PEC are getting a road legal car this week, maybe I can revisit for a 30 minute road blast before I make up my mind, but ATM I am ready for a new brand I think

How every good the GT4 is, it's still a Porker just turned up a bit more and I think I want a change from that, esp the long gearing ! And I do fancy some thing really fast but with short ratio's and big torque so I can use it for very small amounts of time.

for fun My Spyder it's just a Mega thing, it's still not 100% right on track (But I built it as a road car) and the GT4 again would eat it on track , but £75k to do 3 track days a year !!! you could buy a Cayman R, spend £5k on it and still buy a Lotus Elise S for track for the same cash !

Any direct questions please ask.

PS my left knee still has a pain from the clutch and my neck is very stiff.... was a good day :) and a great venue as always with top food.

PPS buckers are fine, It's a GT car don't buy one without buckets, the G's are so big on this car you need to be sitting in a seat not on a seat !

PPPS you would NOT swap a GT3 for a GT4 if you own a GT3 (did not think I would say that) , seems no point, like wise I cannot see a RS GT4 you may as well buy a GT3 ! thing is the only GT3 with the shorter final drive is the 997.2 RS !!! mmmm £155k needed !!!

PPPPS Porsche are very very good at marketing ALL cars pre sold, that's very clever.

Thanks for your own honest appraisal D. Much appreciated - a personal slant after the sycophantic comments from the press [do they ever give a new sports car a bad press?] - and an interesting comparison with the previous generation cars, even though you'd have to admit that the Spyder is tweaked to your requirements.

Clearly the suspension set-up wasn't to your liking but at least there's plenty of adjustability incorporated into it. As to the steering; that's very much a personal preference and, as you say, you'd get used to it very quickly. The only time I've been in 981 [2.7 Boxster], I was disappointed how over-servo'd the brakes felt compared with my 987.2 CS; just the current trend I'm afraid, and maybe the GT4 isn't immune.

Your impressions obviously were coloured by the very restricted driving environment of the PEC and I'd be interested to hear what the car's like on the open road if you get the chance.

Did you get any impressions from the other attendees and, if so, were they in agreement with you? How many cars were available at the PEC and any pics?

Where to for you now?

Jeff

Reading MrDemon and Motorhead's observations gives me some concern.

I've driven a 997 GT3 before & appreciated the slightly more raw drive of the vehicle, if that is an appropriate description, although I have never driven a manual Cayman.

I find my 993 great fun to drive, a more raw driving experience than my 996, but equally, my 450 bhp 996 is an absolute joy, as it is so sure footed & the g forces quite exhilarating.

Jeremy,

Like MrD, have you been offered a chance to drive a car at the PEC? If not, I'd certainly have a word with your supplying dealership to see if you can get even a short spell in a car to allay any concerns you may have before purchase.

I have to say that I've never fancied buying in a car "blind". You never know what you're letting yourself in for and it's surprising what you can learn about a car in a half-hour drive.

I think you'll find the GT4 a very different driving experience from your 993 and 996T, but maybe that's what you need bearing in mind your previous comment about wanting just a fun & powerful manual motorcar to use on the road.

Jeff

I had the car to myself, every one else was in other cars, so a full 1/2 day with the GT4 and no other GT4 owners there really only a RS owner who was also getting a GT4 (but to sell ! £25k seems the talking point for overs ! )

It's a mega thing, the change of direction is really good, I felt I wanted a bit more performance from it, and the gearing is just crazy.

geo fixable not great news for Spyder owners though that has NO adjustment ! esp if Porsche have made it "safe"

Steering you get over it , its far better than any 981 or 991 I have driven.

brakes disappointing , how can I say that !!!! but I was expecting mega performance from 410mm CCB and massive tyre contact patch. (not over servo though like the standard 981, in fact you have got to really press them and hard)

just must be the weight of the wheel tyre combo for the lack of bite imo. But again MY Spyder scares people even instructors, I have never had a car so amazing on the brakes EVER !

My R is pants really on 4 pot steels brakes the GT4 is 300% better.

My instructor thought the brakes were amazing, I was just like "meh" lol

It's not a neg review, as I stated like an R + 20% + 50% on change of direction though, that was impressive and it felt Solid all day.

85mph in 2nd gear, that is the issue, I tire of it, on a UK B road it's daft I would say. in fact it's bonkers !!!

lets think about it, UK motorway speed limit is 70MPh, this car does 85 in 2nd gear !!!! on the new tight section "bomb hole" 2nd gear it too long for it car bogs down, maybe I should have tried to get it in 1st !!!

when we did Spa last year, the back roads are mega, loads of switch backs which I did in 2nd gear, my mates Cayman PDK not only had shorter gearing, he was going into 1st !

get lazy sub 4k in the GT4 and it will bog you down, yes you can drive it to the shops with that 3.8 and more torque, but just think how much better it would be doing 60mph in 2nd and 80mph in 3rd !

It's not GT3 stupid as that need 6k of revs, but it's still stupid imo.

just the 1 yellow car , no pics, it the same one I posted on launch day, nothing to see, no filming allowed there, I did take my Go Pro, not a chance of that being used.

I should be able as a future owner to take the new road legal car out next week I would say. Issue is the cars are so booked up, no slots for 2015 on GT4 !

Ta D. Yes, apart from the LWBs it's the high gearing which is grabbing everyone's attention but, like over-servo's brakes, it's par for the course these days with every manufacturer chasing ever more stringent emission controls and better headline fuel economy using artificial driving programmes.

And with the high-torque turbos in the wings and PDK in the ascendancy, that's not going to change. What's the betting that ZF and Porsche are working on an 8-speed PDK transmission? Although come to think of it, they're more likely to be making it a 6-speed to make it simpler and cheaper to build and using the extra torque to fill the gaps.

Disappointing to hear that some people are only in there to make money and takes me back to the comment I made on this post way back about the GT4 becoming a "Speculator Special".

Hope you get some open road time in the car for a different experience.

I thought that the PEC's GT4 is white, not yellow.

Jeff

there is a white one floating about in comfort spec, it's NOT used as the PEC car, the Yellow CS is with cage and PCCB's

the thing is the GT4 has poor MPG and over a 225 CO2, so it's just lazy ! if they did some tricks to get a sub 225 co2 figure than that would be a sellable excuse, but it's 18mpg time 6 on track and £480 to tax it with the £1k showroom tax.

1.jpg

From April 2017 things are only going to get worse for new Porsche owners. VED for 226-255gm/km emissions: £1700 for the first year then £450 for the next five years and £140 afterwards.

Jeff

Yes I know D, but I was thinking more about the GT cars, even though they're a relatively small proportion of Porsches sold and the VED's peanuts compared with the amount you're shelling out.

Another nail in the coffin for N/A engines. Maybe it's time for you to head over to that Audi dealership to look for that R8 v10 Plus..!

Jeff

very tempting, as is that MP12C I have driven the R8V10 plus just need to drive the MP12C now.

Either will partner my Spyder very nice.

I did say the clutch was really heavy a few weeks back when i sat in one. aka 996 GT3 heavy maybe a tad heavier felt like treading concrete.

Maybe a good thing for us CR owners after all. Maybe tad more power for the CR and a brake tweak makes the CR the ultimate car for road and occasional track after all.

But then a lot of us that own the CR already are aware of this.

Sure not GT4 power but a great car.

Sounds like happy days for the CR.

MrDemon said:
I had the car to myself, every one else was in other cars, so a full 1/2 day with the GT4 and no other GT4 owners there really only a RS owner who was also getting a GT4 (but to sell ! £25k seems the talking point for overs ! )

Should I keep the 991 GT3 and stop looking for a GT4 for the time being as the trade tend to think that once the RS's are out and the current glut of GT3's have been moved the GT3 prices will start to come back particularly if the RS's are being moved at near to £300k and GT4'S at £100k then surely £160k to £170K is not unreasonable for a 991GT3 provided the engine issues are fully sorted.

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back