Menu toggle

Cayman Register Secretary

In my experience you need to target some enthusiastic but less informed member and lie to them about how little the post entails - That is how we conned Paul McNaulty to be 944 RS and how I was conned to go on the Board.

John Sims said:
In the past it was a given that the Region or Register Directors (or what ever they are called this week) would have been an ROs or RSs of at least two years experience so that they understood the positions and what they entail. They would also have had experience of dealing with previous Directors and equally understand what their involvement included. It seems ludicrous that one might consider this no longer to be appropriate IMHO.

John, the Articles still say this:

"...in order to be eligible to be a Director, a Member must have been either (i) a Regional Organiser or Register Secretary for not less than 2 years immediately prior to application for election, or (ii) a Member of the Club for not less than 3 years immediately prior to application for election. Further, to be eligible to be a Director, the Member must ...[own a Porsche and live in the UK]"

My RO has been in place for at least 15 years - are you suggesting that nobody in Lancashire but Peter Bull or David Baker should be allowed on the Board until 2 years after David leaves his role? Peter and David would be the only people eligible under "your rules" and I don't think either fancies being the Regional Director! I do understand your sentiment but the solution is complicated.

The Director appointment process is one of the biggest challenges the Club faces it it wants to protect itself from itself.

Perhaps what we should have is a nationally promoted process where a panel, let's call it a nominations committee, invite expressions of interest in Board positions to the entire eligible Club membership. There could be bold articles in Porsche Post and the search could be extended by an email and website campaign. Interested applicants, of whom there are likely to be many, could then be invited to one of a number of open sessions at the Clubhouse where one to one dialogues and group discussions can take place so that expectations both ways can be fully explored and understood.

The nominations committee could then report back to the Board. It may recommend 5 or 6 people for 3 current vacancies, it may honour its terms of reference in good faith. The candidates whose skills best fit the available vacancies should then be made known to the wider membership and informed decisions could take place by the members when the Board vacancies arise. All members could vote on the outcome if there is more than one candidate for a vacant role.

The process could be refined as experience is gained. I know, we could call it Striving for Excellence.

In the meantime, the Forum posters can go wild, speculating about what the possible outcome could be before the process concludes and froth at how undemocratic it would be for an independent panel to recommend candidates with the best skills and experience for the roles. Personal attacks on the panel's integrity could, of course, be tolerated by the moderators. The Board could then get cold feet and not follow the recommendations made by the committee it appointed despite that committee doing exactly what it was tasked to do. People who took part in the process could then choose to stand for election irrespective of any recommendations made by the independent committee. Those alienated by consequences of the forum backlash, perhaps the strongest applicants, could walk away because life's too short...

We are left in a position where (perhaps largely thanks to the audience at the 2015 AGM narrowly voting down the clearly dangerous concept of electronic voting) less than 1% of the membership engage in the voting process. The metaphorical office cat could stand for election to the Club's Board and whoever is vaguely popular in a largish region has a good chance of getting elected with a few dozen votes. And we have 4 vacancies out of 7 up for election with nominations closing a week today.

Apologies, back on topic, I agree with Peter Bull completely. The RS appointment process should have been concluded some time ago, it's not rocket science.

John Sims said:
In the past it was a given that the Region or Register Directors (or what ever they are called this week) would have been an ROs or RSs of at least two years experience so that they understood the positions and what they entail. They would also have had experience of dealing with previous Directors and equally understand what their involvement included. It seems ludicrous that one might consider this no longer to be appropriate IMHO.

I understand the frustration about how long the process is taken but I think this suggestion is a route into cliques forming within the club and becoming self perpetuated...surely if there is more than one candidate they should be have to produce a manifesto and be elected by the membership?

Peter_Bull said:
gronk1967 said:
In defense of the RD and having had the opportunity to discuss the situation with him it appears that we are not the only register in such a position and the board is insisting on a totally transparent process resulting in the nominations, election etc etc rather than a worthy candidate simply being appointed as has been previous practice.

As frustrating as we may find the situation regards the appointment of a new RS it’s obviously more complex than it would appear and we aren’t privy to the deliberations of the board.

If that's the case then surely a decent communique would be appropriate to let us all know that the appointment system has/is changing. Poor communication causes threads like this to develop unnecessarily and fester unwarranted angst among those that are genuinely interested.

Had reason to call Steve Gillings in the Clubhouse about another matter. Mentioned the Cayman RS situation, apparently the Club has many valid applications which are being worked through in a process reported above.

Frankly anyone posting here could have emailed Steve or called him rather that venting agnst here. Took me less than 2 minutes to find out.

Nick_USA said:
Peter_Bull said:
gronk1967 said:
In defense of the RD and having had the opportunity to discuss the situation with him it appears that we are not the only register in such a position and the board is insisting on a totally transparent process resulting in the nominations, election etc etc rather than a worthy candidate simply being appointed as has been previous practice.

As frustrating as we may find the situation regards the appointment of a new RS it’s obviously more complex than it would appear and we aren’t privy to the deliberations of the board.

If that's the case then surely a decent communique would be appropriate to let us all know that the appointment system has/is changing. Poor communication causes threads like this to develop unnecessarily and fester unwarranted angst among those that are genuinely interested.

Had reason to call Steve Gillings in the Clubhouse about another matter. Mentioned the Cayman RS situation, apparently the Club has many valid applications which are being worked through in a process reported above.

Frankly anyone posting here could have emailed Steve or called him rather that venting agnst here. Took me less than 2 minutes to find out.
Hear, hear...as I said in my original post it’s a minor official in a car club we are taking about! I don’t think it makes anyone look good to be frankly trolling club officials without the full grasp of the facts and knowing that more than likely they are prevented from putting forward a robust defence In the forums.

Yes its frustrating but the process is being followed, could it be concluded quicker? Possibly, but in the grand scheme of things does it really matter?

I don’t think getting on for 6 months is reasonable time to take to replace an RS. I don’t see how any organisation can hope to attract volunteers for responsible posts if they themselves have to stay on for 6 months after giving notice before any replacement can be appointed. I don’t see why individual members who support the Club should need to make calls to find out what is going on. We still have no idea of the target date for appointing a new Cayman RS. Perhaps I don’t see lots of things and my expectations are too high for a car club with 21,000 members and a falling retention rate.

Just my 2p

MoC2S said:
Personally, I thought Striving for Excellence could / should have been ideal preparation for a Board role. Where it went awry was to have 'Recommended Candidates' in the ballot - this was a step too far !

'Successful completion of the SfE programme' as a footnote would have been more diplomatic .. [8D]
I’m still posting with an arm tied behind my back.

You may think that, but I couldn’t possibly comment.

The committee has never been thanked / chastised / closed / sacked / used again or had its recommendations followed through - but fundamentally I can’t think of a better process without a major change in the Articles.

This does require a degree of good faith on the part of the commissioning Board though. For the avoidance of doubt, our current Chair was not part of that Board, she has had to try to manage the unfortunate consequential fall out, which had already led to ”significant challenges”.

Nick_USA said:

It’s really not Steve's place to comment on how and why there is so much procrastination over this appointment, and I find that your reply quite patronising Nick. I very much doubt he would have the time to answer all emails and phone calls on the topic either.

Whilst I appreciate that you have 'inside knowledge' on club matters I think most members would find it more preferable if the Register Director came on here and explained the 'new process' and the reasons for the long delay of appointing a new RS.

By the way, by the number of explanatory posts you have done recently it would appear, rightly or wrongly, that you are the boards forum appointed representative. Whilst I appreciate that, I would have expected the replies to be ‘shared’ across the board.

(Edited as the Chairs request)

rob.kellock said:
You may think that, but I couldn’t possibly comment.

I agree Rob – you shouldn’t. That would open old wounds and another hornets nest!

Peter_Bull said:
It’s really not Steve's place to comment on how and why there is so much procrastination over this appointment, and I find that your reply quite patronising Nick. I very much doubt he would have the time to answer all emails and phone calls on the topic either.

Whilst I appreciate that you have 'inside knowledge' on club matters I think most members would find it more preferable if the Register Director came on here and explained the 'new process' and the reasons for the long delay of appointing a new RS.

By the way, by the number of explanatory posts you have done recently it would appear, rightly or wrongly, that you are the boards forum appointed representative. Whilst I appreciate that, I would have expected the replies to be ‘shared’ across the board.

Peter I am disappointed you feel this way. However, some fact checks.

Steve's role is to work with and manage the volunteers on behalf of our Club (this was in the update to all officials, not 'inside knowledge'). To infer that Steve would not reply to an email or call is unfair.

I have no 'inside knowledge' on the matter of this, or any other Club appointments.

re: the number of explanatory posts - I am a member with my own opinion, I have never posted on behalf of the board who all have their own logins, including Edwina the Chair. I will post statements of fact when it comes to the membership survey which have already been shared with the board and/or are in the process of being shared with all officials and Club members.

btw. I am disappointed with the few that feel our Club is in a different place to what I see as a member and a leader of a highly successful region. Having spent the last 4 days on the Club stand not one member or visiting Club official thought the Club was in a bad place. Far from it the were highly praising of everyone, and the benefits they continue to receive.

Nick (just a member!)

Gentlemen,

Firstly my comment above was not meant as an introduction as to how we choose Board members it was in respect of Register Secretary - I jokingly said I was lied to to con me on to the Board (part joking) but that was all.

Any discussion regarding Board appointments or indeed other officials staff etc should really be within the Members Only section of this Forum.

As such I suggest it might be prudent to move this complete thread to that section as, until someone becomes a member, the ramifications of who, how and why we choose a Register Secretary is not their concern. Washing our dirty linen in public etc.

If we move it to members only then, assuming comments are respectful and courteous, please feel free to remove the gloves, untie the hands and sort it out.

John,

Personally as a Cayman owner I would rather keep this on topic and in this forum. Rather than behind closed doors and going more political. We Cayman owners in my opinion just want to see an end to the process, whatever it is and/or frustratingly long it is taking. That way we can get behind our leader who ever it is and enjoy our superior mid-engine cars together.

Nick

Nick_USA said:
John,

Personally as a Cayman owner I would rather keep this on topic and in this forum. Rather than behind closed doors and going more political. We Cayman owners in my opinion just want to see an end to the process, whatever it is and/or frustratingly long it is taking. That way we can get behind our leader who ever it is and enjoy our superior mid-engine cars together.

Nick

Nick, I'm not about to move the thread without a consensus but stand by my comments that IMHO it is a Club matter and should be in members only. Cayman owning members wont be excluded from the discussion as they have access to "members only" and Cayman owning non members aren't in the least bit interested how we do or don't run the Club.

If there are those who don't want it discussed openly and frankly, warts and all, well perhaps they should ask themselves why.

I think we should move it to Members Only and freeze it (if that is the right term) for posterity.

We are getting nowhere and the only thing that matters is getting the appointment done so whosoever is responsible, give us Cayman members a timeline via Mailchimp (in the next 7 days).

ralphmusic said:
I think we should move it to Members Only and freeze it (if that is the right term) for posterity.

We are getting nowhere and the only thing that matters is getting the appointment done so whosoever is responsible, give us Cayman members a timeline via Mailchimp (in the next 7 days).

Cayman owners only I'd agree too.

With regard to moving this thread to a members only forum, it is my personal view that there should be only 1 PCGB public forum and all others should be for members only - access to the forums should be seen as another benefit of club membership.

As an ex. member who did not renew due to a lack of response to direct questions, to the club`s staff … I surely empathise with the thread of these six pages.

Nick_USA said:
Peter I am disappointed you feel this way. However, some fact checks.

Steve's role is to work with and manage the volunteers on behalf of our Club (this was in the update to all officials, not 'inside knowledge'). To infer that Steve would not reply to an email or call is unfair.

I think you need to get your own fact right Nick. What I said was: I very much doubt he would have the time to answer all emails and phone calls on the topic either.

Nick_USA said:
I have no 'inside knowledge' on the matter of this, or any other Club appointments.

re: the number of explanatory posts - I am a member with my own opinion, I have never posted on behalf of the board who all have their own logins, including Edwina the Chair. I will post statements of fact when it comes to the membership survey which have already been shared with the board and/or are in the process of being shared with all officials and Club members.

Thanks for the letting us know, but as I have already explained to Ed via email, I have no qualms of a husband (ex director) and wife (current director) discussing club issues.

Nick_USA said:
btw. I am disappointed with the few that feel our Club is in a different place to what I see as a member and a leader of a highly successful region. Having spent the last 4 days on the Club stand not one member or visiting Club official thought the Club was in a bad place. Far from it the were highly praising of everyone, and the benefits they continue to receive.

Nick (just a member!)

Great that you have positive feedback but I think you will always be faced with more members who extoll the virtues of the club rather than to the contrary. There are very few who will be honest enough to tell it as they actually feel for fear of being perceived as the 'odd one out'

As much as I’ve enjoyed the to & fro on this i do think as others have suggested that this is now ‘dirty washing’ and we should move it to the members only area (the point about the forums being a member resource is valid but will likely take us down another rabbit hole so maybe that debate should be opened up for members only too?).

In my opinion parts of this thread are being used for trolling individuals, making unwarranted references to compentance for role, and even imply that a PCGB regions could swing an election. There is clearly some bad blood or history of which I’m unaware!

Despite 6 pages of increasingly excited (& lengthy) comments my view remains that in the grand scheme of things this really is pretty unimportant. Nor am I aware of any issues that not having a fully active RS is having iupon on the register as a community (apart from this ongoing thread) but others may have different views but they havent articulated to me why this is such an important issue, apart from they consider it important!

Can I make the radical suggestion that if anyone is genuinely aggrieved at the situation they should pick up the phone or dust off their keyboards as Porsche Post has both phone numbers & email addresses for all the relevant people who need to be involved to report their concerns/complaint.

just read through this thread and would really like to thank you all as it has reminded me of the down side of being a club official and why i stepped away from the club for a few years.

I just want to enjoy my cars.

i love the admin, organising events and helping club members, hosting at events and writing articles. i no longer work so had plenty of time to give to the role but i really don’t have the will to put up with all the political crap.

so i have withdrawn my application

Posts made and opinions expressed are those of the individual forum members

Use of the Forum is subject to the Terms and Conditions

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of the Club, who shall have no liability in respect of them or the accuracy of the content. The Club assumes no responsibility for any effects arising from errors or omissions.

Porsche Club Great Britain gives no warranties, guarantees or assurances and makes no representations or recommendations regarding any goods or services advertised on this site. It is the responsibility of visitors to satisfy themselves that goods and/or services supplied by any advertiser are bona fide and in no instance can the Porsche Club Great Britain be held responsible.

When responding to advertisements please ensure that you satisfy yourself of any applicable call charges on numbers not prefixed by usual "landline" STD Codes. Information can be obtained from the operator or the white pages. Before giving out ANY information regarding cars, or any other items for sale, please satisfy yourself that any potential purchaser is bona fide.

Directors of the Board of Porsche Club GB, Club Office Staff, Register Secretaries and Regional Organisers are often requested by Club members to provide information on matters connected with their cars and other matters referred to in the Club Rules. Such information, advice and assistance provided by such persons is given in good faith and is based on the personal experience and knowledge of the individual concerned.

Neither Porsche Club GB, nor any of the aforementioned, shall be under any liability in respect of any such information, advice or assistance given to members. Members are advised to consult qualified specialists for information, advice and assistance on matters connected with their cars at all times.

Back